Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I've seen two Taycans in my area the last week (central Indiana). I even got a good look at one that was parked at a gas station (?), and I have to say they look better in person than the pictures. I also have to imagine these are selling well, since I've seen as many of these as I have model Y's in the past few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

ilkhan posted:

It doesn't do anything the Y doesn't do, while charging slower, being slower, having shorter range, and not having supercharger access. Almost literally the only benefit is not having a tesla badge. I guess it supports car play and android auto, which the Y doesn't... It was a lot more interesting when the Y was going to be late and they'd be out about the same time. Alas, Tesla went and hosed that up.

I'm a Ford fanboy, and I still looked at it and went "meh".

That's kind of where I am at as well. I would have to assume I'm the target market too since I drive a 2016 Mustang GT now and want an at least somewhat sporty BEV for my next car. If they just made a good electrified actual Mustang that might do it for me. I know they are tinkering with it now.

I'm just not interested in another ugly CUV. The XC40 isn't too much more money and blows them out of the water in styling and finish. The range for those is the only odd point, but it would be plenty for most.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Genderfluent posted:

I've seen two Taycans in my area the last week (central Indiana). I even got a good look at one that was parked at a gas station (?), and I have to say they look better in person than the pictures. I also have to imagine these are selling well, since I've seen as many of these as I have model Y's in the past few days

They look great IMO but are exceedingly expensive. I know the 4S has a 'base' price of like $103,000 which is still extremely expensive but I haven't seen one at a dealership that doesn't have another $25,000+ of options on it. The fact that you need to spend $200,000 on a Turbo S to equal the $90,000 and change Model S Performance turns me off as well.

Granted, the build quality will be lightyears ahead of Tesla but I think you're also making a pretty big range tradeoff in addition to the huge cost. They are also 4 seaters which means I don't think my dog would do very well in the back.

It's a pretty bizarre thing to say 'the $95,000 Tesla is a better option for the money' but leave it to Porsche to make that possible. I'm really impatient for the next few years when this tech will trickle down and be less expensive.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Porsche has always been much more expensive than cars that are competitive on paper. See the endless 911 vs Corvette comparisons over the years. I guess that makes Tesla the Corvette analogue. Performance bargain with questionable QA and interior quality. Seems about right.

People in this thread really seem to discount a lot of the subjectivity that goes into car buying. The vast majority of people looking to buy a car don’t make a spreadsheet of range and interior dimensions and track times and pick the one with the highest average score. It will be nice when there’s enough variety in electrics that we can actually have conversations again comparing the actual driving experience of the cars.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Porsche has always been much more expensive than cars that are competitive on paper. See the endless 911 vs Corvette comparisons over the years. I guess that makes Tesla the Corvette analogue. Performance bargain with questionable QA and interior quality. Seems about right.

Haha I was just thinking about that comparison. I think it's spot on.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

For me, I think it is the little things that make me like the Mach-E over the Model Y on paper. I like having a display screen behind the steering wheel for speed and other relevant information for the driver. And touches like covers for the USB ports, and a few more physical buttons on the interior are nice.

It could just be that I am now an “old” and afraid of change. Or that once I actually start test driving cars in a year or two, the little things won’t matter as much. But the Mach-E looks more like an actual car inside, and not just a bunch of cost cutting measures to hit a price point. I spend enough time in my car that I want a car, not a transportation appliance. I think the model S/X fits the bill of being an actual car from Tesla, but there is a pretty significant price premium to get to those models.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

heated game moment posted:

They look great IMO but are exceedingly expensive. I know the 4S has a 'base' price of like $103,000 which is still extremely expensive but I haven't seen one at a dealership that doesn't have another $25,000+ of options on it. The fact that you need to spend $200,000 on a Turbo S to equal the $90,000 and change Model S Performance turns me off as well.

Granted, the build quality will be lightyears ahead of Tesla but I think you're also making a pretty big range tradeoff in addition to the huge cost. They are also 4 seaters which means I don't think my dog would do very well in the back.

It's a pretty bizarre thing to say 'the $95,000 Tesla is a better option for the money' but leave it to Porsche to make that possible. I'm really impatient for the next few years when this tech will trickle down and be less expensive.

If all you care about is a neck snapping 0-60 time (provided you have full battery etc) then I guess you need a Turbo S to beat a Model S performance on that particular stat, but I would think that's only a small part of the equation. A 4S is still stupidly fast, but on top of that the handling is superb, the ride is great. The styling and interior are on a different planet to a Model S.

I may be a little biased seeing as I got one but I really would recommend giving it a test. Phenomenal car. If you're in the market for a $97k car then a $125k one is not much of a stretch. Sounds like you'd be spending the difference on replacing the suspension components anyway.

(something I posted in the Porsche thread...)

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 25, 2020

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That car really looks great. I think it looks "future-ry" without looking sci-fi. Like actually looking like an evolution in design from current norms rather than trying to guess what "normal" will look like in the sci-fi cyber future.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

knox_harrington posted:

If all you care about is a neck snapping 0-60 time (provided you have full battery etc) then I guess you need a Turbo S to beat a Model S performance on that particular stat, but I would think that's only a small part of the equation. A 4S is still stupidly fast, but on top of that the handling is superb, the ride is great. The styling and interior are on a different planet to a Model S.

I may be a little biased seeing as I got one but I really would recommend giving it a test. Phenomenal car. If you're in the market for a $97k car then a $125k one is not much of a stretch. Sounds like you'd be spending the difference on replacing the suspension components anyway.

It’s a gorgeous car and I definitely see your point but the S I’m looking at is brand new for $83k and the only Taycan around not optioned out like crazy is $124k which is quite a jump IMO. Then again I suppose there’s no harm in test driving one!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
GM Hasn’t Actually Made a Complete, Working Hummer EV Yet

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37226/gm-hasnt-actually-made-a-complete-working-hummer-ev-yet

“Interestingly enough, we don’t have a vehicle yet,” Hummer Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser told Green Car Reports. “We’re building our first test vehicle as we speak; the vehicle you see in the video is our display vehicle.”

Before I make the obligatory "is this why GM is still talking to electric truck vaporware company Nikola?" joke, it's worth noting that the Hummer EV is being developed on an unusually short timeline. According to Green Car Reports, the Hummer is just 18 months into its development. To put that into perspective, Rivian has spent years fine-tuning near-production models of its electric pickup and SUV. The Hummer project was only approved back in April 2019, and GM wants deliveries to start in fall 2021.

To their credit, GM also told Green Car Reports that the Hummer's propulsion system has been torture-tested and is ready to go. Engineers started with the already-in-development battery pack for the Cadillac Lyriq, and added an extra layer of batteries on top. Some of GM's other trucks have been put to use doing off-road testing in Colorado for the Hummer project as well.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

The bulge at the bottom of the rear bumper is odd to me, but outside of that it is a wonderfully gorgeous car. Which for me is high praise because outside of the first gen Cayenne and the Panamera, I don't really like the look of any current Porsche or even most older Porsches.

I really would love to see an electric truck or bof suv with a 5000lb towing range of at least 200 miles. That's when I think you'll see electric vehicles start making serious inroads into people's lives outside of your basic sedan/hatchback/crossover buyers. The Hummer is definitely a good step in that direction for whatever the flaws it has. It really feels like its one of those projects where GM unleashed their engineers and kept the beancounters away from it as much as possible, which always bodes well for them. Particularly when we are talking about a halo car.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Elmnt80 posted:

It really feels like its one of those projects where GM unleashed their engineers and kept the beancounters away from it as much as possible, which always bodes well for them. Particularly when we are talking about a halo car.

Which means we have one generation before GM management completely torpedoes the project, then cancels it for not selling.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I mean, its GM so yeah, but usually that tech then gets distributed to a bunch of other projects because there is a beancounter sitting going "Well, we have the development already done so we might as well squeeze as much profit as possible out of those development dollars."

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Elmnt80 posted:

I mean, its GM so yeah, but usually that tech then gets distributed to a bunch of other projects because there is a beancounter sitting going "Well, we have the development already done so we might as well squeeze as much profit as possible out of those development dollars."

One of my favorite examples of this was learning that GM was able to use the water pump designed for the Volt in the corvette because it was the best thing they had that was big enough.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Watching that Engineering Explained video on the Hummer, all I could think was, I don't want to own this out of warranty. I like all the features though.

knox_harrington posted:

I'm jealous!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

ilkhan posted:

It doesn't do anything the Y doesn't do, while charging slower, being slower, having shorter range, and not having supercharger access. Almost literally the only benefit is not having a tesla badge. I guess it supports car play and android auto, which the Y doesn't... It was a lot more interesting when the Y was going to be late and they'd be out about the same time. Alas, Tesla went and hosed that up.

1) it looks a lot better. Teslas look like rear end from every angle.

2) Tesla is currently investigating this whole "suddenly becoming a convertible" issue on the Y. Possibly thousands of units affected.

3) Tesla can't provide reliable parts & service in 2/3rds of the country.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Speleothing posted:

2) Tesla is currently investigating this whole "suddenly becoming a convertible" issue on the Y. Possibly thousands of units affected.

3) Tesla can’t provide reliable parts & service in 2/3rds of the country.

Sources on #2 and #3?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Doesn’t give any information about number affected.

https://www.businessinsider.com/second-tesla-model-y-owner-reports-roof-issue-glass-adhesion-2020-10?amp

Reports that Tesla is reaching out to some owners to inspect their roof. So Tesla does appear to be investigating the issue.

I did also remember reading a magazine long term review article about how they had to ship their Model S out of state for repairs. They were based in the Detroit area. Some googling determined that Tesla got a law overturned early this year in Michigan that let them open a factory owned service center. Previously, all maintenance centers had to be owned by a 3rd party dealership. I am not sure how many other areas are/were like that.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Speleothing posted:

Generally I'm Ok with the way S and 3 look, but the Y is ugly as sin and that alone should make it a non-starter vs the Mach E.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Orvin posted:

Doesn’t give any information about number affected.

https://www.businessinsider.com/second-tesla-model-y-owner-reports-roof-issue-glass-adhesion-2020-10?amp

Reports that Tesla is reaching out to some owners to inspect their roof. So Tesla does appear to be investigating the issue.

I did also remember reading a magazine long term review article about how they had to ship their Model S out of state for repairs. They were based in the Detroit area. Some googling determined that Tesla got a law overturned early this year in Michigan that let them open a factory owned service center. Previously, all maintenance centers had to be owned by a 3rd party dealership. I am not sure how many other areas are/were like that.

The list of Tesla service centers is here:

https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/services/United%20States

They are mostly around major cities and a number of states have one or none. About 100 in total, versus about 3000 Ford dealers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jimong5 posted:

One of my favorite examples of this was learning that GM was able to use the water pump designed for the Volt in the corvette because it was the best thing they had that was big enough.

At least something out of this awesome drivetrain had a future.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

GM Hasn’t Actually Made a Complete, Working Hummer EV Yet

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37226/gm-hasnt-actually-made-a-complete-working-hummer-ev-yet

“Interestingly enough, we don’t have a vehicle yet,” Hummer Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser told Green Car Reports. “We’re building our first test vehicle as we speak; the vehicle you see in the video is our display vehicle.”

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh :stare:

That’s not a good sign. This means the production one will either be delayed, or will be essentially a test/not-quite-fully baked vehicle.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Generally I'm Ok with the way S and 3 look, but the Y is ugly as sin and that alone should make it a non-starter vs the Mach E.

Both the Tesla SUVs look like someone spent half an hour lazily stretching a picture of a model 3 in mspaint.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeep posted:

Both the Tesla SUVs look like someone spent half an hour lazily stretching a picture of a model 3 in mspaint.

I always thought the Model X looked like a Model S that succumbed to an unhealthy lifestyle after the initial success.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

RS e-tron GT is going to be the pace car at Spa

https://paultan.org/2020/10/23/audi-rs-e-tron-gt-teased-as-24-hours-of-spa-pace-car/

Ah it was in fact last weekend

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 26, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The list of Tesla service centers is here:

https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/services/United%20States

They are mostly around major cities and a number of states have one or none. About 100 in total, versus about 3000 Ford dealers.

...And 32 of them are in California.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
For what it's worth when the c6 corvette came out they had to recall all of them because they got a bad batch of epoxy from a supplier and lots of people were having their roofs come off on the treeway. I'm guessing it's a similar story with Tesla.

I took my etron to the mall on Saturday and parked in the front at one of the ev charging spots. In the 10 minutes I spent repeatedly rebooting the car to get it to start charging I had no less than three people stop to ask questions and take pictures because they had no idea Audi made an electric car.
The one guy was very concerned that having an electric car would add hundreds of dollars a month to his electric bill.

Good job Audi marketing team.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Shamino posted:

The one guy was very concerned that having an electric car would add hundreds of dollars a month to his electric bill.

Good job Audi marketing team.

This is pretty common. Many people have absolutely no frame of reference on the true cost of electricity. But also depending on where you live and your rates, it could have some partial truth to it.

A related crazy family anecdote: One of my cousins used to unplug her electric stove and microwave when she was done using it. She was convinced the LED clock display gobled untold amounts of power.

It added a whole $10-$20 per month to my electric bill, depending on how much I drive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

stevewm posted:

This is pretty common. Many people have absolutely no frame of reference on the true cost of electricity. But also depending on where you live and your rates, it could have some partial truth to it.

Most people also have zero frame of reference on how much power certain appliances draw; Air conditioning especially. They know if they turn the thermostat up or down, it costs them dollars, but they don’t understand how much of an energy hog AC systems (as an example) are. There’s just no general understanding of electricity in most people.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Most people also have zero frame of reference on how much power certain appliances draw; Air conditioning especially. They know if they turn the thermostat up or down, it costs them dollars, but they don’t understand how much of an energy hog AC systems (as an example) are. There’s just no general understanding of electricity in most people.

The biggest "WTF" with heat pumps / HVAC systems is actually how efficient* newer units are :v:

*as long as you have some insulation to keep the heat out, heh.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

MrYenko posted:

I actually had an at length conversation with the guy explaining that in Texas on average you pay about 10c per kwh and the car has a 90kwh battery therefore a full charge from 0 is $9, but if you switch to a variable rate plan you pay about 1c per kwh so I only pay about 90 cents for a full charge and a full month of driving only costs me about $3.

I have no idea if any of that sank in...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I used 293 kWh from my wall to charge my car at home in the past 30 days, and that was all done at the nightly rate of 3.5c per kWh not counting the free 400 kWh I get each month but I share that energy with dishes & laundry. 1.1 cents per mile!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shamino posted:

I actually had an at length conversation with the guy explaining that in Texas on average you pay about 10c per kwh and the car has a 90kwh battery therefore a full charge from 0 is $9, but if you switch to a variable rate plan you pay about 1c per kwh so I only pay about 90 cents for a full charge and a full month of driving only costs me about $3.

I have no idea if any of that sank in...

When I got my Tesla, I ran the numbers for incremental mileage and overal cost of ownership, and had several people flat out not believe the electricity costs involved with an EV. Power here was $0.106/kwhr at the time, and $0.25/kwhr on peak (four hours a day, two in the morning and two in the evening, so easily avoidable.)

Grid electricity is CHEAP*.

*Offer not available in California.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

When I got my Tesla, I ran the numbers for incremental mileage and overal cost of ownership, and had several people flat out not believe the electricity costs involved with an EV. Power here was $0.106/kwhr at the time, and $0.25/kwhr on peak (four hours a day, two in the morning and two in the evening, so easily avoidable.)

Grid electricity is CHEAP*.

*Offer not available in California.
Or europe. It's like $0.20/kwh if you're lucky, Germany is like 35c I think.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

mobby_6kl posted:

Or europe. It's like $0.20/kwh if you're lucky, Germany is like 35c I think.

Gasoline is proportionally more expensive though

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla has rolled out a beta of their self-driving feature to a small number of beta testers. There's decent compilation of videos the beta testers have released on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/jftx5l/all_fsd_footage/ Of the videos I've watched the performance of it ranges pretty widely from not great to surprisingly decent.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It keeps on stopping 8 feet before the stop sign and then running the stop sign, for that reason alone it should be banned

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Releasing that to the public is insanely irresponsible

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Beta testing self driving features on public roads with real world consequences, the selection criteria just whoever Tesla claims are “expert and safe drivers”.

quote:

Public road testing is a serious responsibility and using untrained consumers to validate beta-level software on public roads is dangerous and inconsistent with existing guidance and industry norms.

Couldn’t agree more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Honestly Tesla loving around with this is going to get any kind of self driving tech banned by the NHTSA.