Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Really, really wish I could have Ironman be turned on by default every single time I start a new game. Just united the Spanish Kingdoms under Urraca, by murdering every single person ahead of her. Took Barcelona, took Andalusia in a Crusade, took Badajoz, went to save, and Ironman was turned off. A good practice run I guess, but I'll probably never have that kind of luck again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Turning Ironman on guarantees that your run will begin and end very poorly :smith:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

buglord posted:

Turning Ironman on guarantees that your run will begin and end very poorly :smith:

:smith:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Blimpkin posted:

Really, really wish I could have Ironman be turned on by default every single time I start a new game. Just united the Spanish Kingdoms under Urraca, by murdering every single person ahead of her. Took Barcelona, took Andalusia in a Crusade, took Badajoz, went to save, and Ironman was turned off. A good practice run I guess, but I'll probably never have that kind of luck again.

I really hate that it doesn't remember your settings at all. I always want random Mongols and Hungarians, which every single time I start a game I have to scroll through the settings to reenable.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

How do exclaves currently work? My wife, as Ireland, has Iceland, a duchy in England (not physically connected with the island of Ireland), a bunch of poo poo in Spain, and a county near Jerusalem. All under Ireland. Mostly as vassals, some of Spain in her domain.

I seem to recall that not working for very long in ck3 but the in-game encyclopedia doesn't have anything about exclaves.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There is a game rule that causes exclaves to become independent on succession, but it doesn't work very well. For one thing, even at the most stringent setting, it still considers a water connection to be sufficient to keep things together, regardless of distance.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

There is a game rule that causes exclaves to become independent on succession, but it doesn't work very well. For one thing, even at the most stringent setting, it still considers a water connection to be sufficient to keep things together, regardless of distance.

I think there's some weirdness when it comes to vassals of vassals too.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Have they done anything to change how the tribal to feudal conversion works yet?

I know its survivable with a decent gold stockpile, but the hit to my holdings/levies/men-at-arms combined with the inability to raid anymore (you could in CK2) has led me to hold off on it.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

megane posted:

Does anyone know if you can turn this on mid game? I really wish I had it but I didn't know it was an option when I started.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's no way to turn the naval connection exception off at all right now. Maybe with mods??

Hipster Occultist posted:

Have they done anything to change how the tribal to feudal conversion works yet?

I know its survivable with a decent gold stockpile, but the hit to my holdings/levies/men-at-arms combined with the inability to raid anymore (you could in CK2) has led me to hold off on it.

Teaching the AI to upgrade their holdings helped a lot, but it's still kinda gimpy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

1.1 apparently made it so tribal buildings get converted to some random feudal ones (instead of instantly turning to dust). Haven't tested it myself.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

You'll take a big hit for a while (to levies and taxes at least - if you're lucky, you might get some random MaA buildings), but the longer you leave it, the longer you are losing out on techs - especially MaA expansion, succession laws (eg Partition) and economic building upgrades.

I'm actually curious if you can win in the mid-late game (eg 1200 AD onwards) still in tribal.
And yeah, my first 3 attempts at my Ironman Daura game ended within the first year due to a murder by my husband's consort. Pretty funny. A few ironman attempts over in the Tibet area also ended when I made too many enemies too quickly.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 24, 2020

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

megane posted:

1.1 apparently made it so tribal buildings get converted to some random feudal ones (instead of instantly turning to dust). Haven't tested it myself.

That sounds like a start. I think my game is still prior to mid-game, so once they fix raiding I'll give it another go.

I was reading something on the Paradox fourms, apparently the flags are there to let reformed pagans/certain cultures raid even as feudal like in CK2, but they're disabled or something to that effect.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe the fourth nephew assassination was a bit too much on top of being the high priest of a religion that frowns on your sexuality.

EDIT: And now I see in the crime doctrines that it is in fact not in Kushitism. Oh well, I know how to fix this problem.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 25, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Dallan Invictus posted:

b) even when they do, it's usually not in a way that weakens them in the long term - they don't lose territory, they don't usually lose dev or buildings,

Yes, keeping buildings in particular is absurd, and introducing proper burning and sacking of territories would help a bit towards nerfing MaAs. It could maybe be introduced along with artefacts, so you get the hope of stealing goodies along with the disappointment of losing your own.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, keeping buildings in particular is absurd, and introducing proper burning and sacking of territories would help a bit towards nerfing MaAs. It could maybe be introduced along with artefacts, so you get the hope of stealing goodies along with the disappointment of losing your own.

This (the burning down of buildings) would be very bad imo, since buildings are one of the major gold sinks and they're supposed to be the way you upgrade over time, both the quantity and quality of your army.. that's going to fall apart if they get burned down every 20 years in a war (and as an aggressor why wouldn't you burn it all down given the chance, to weaken your enemy long term) you'd have to rebalance the entire game economy and maa system basically

Maybe if they were just say "damaged" it would make more sense, where you spend say 25% of the buy cost and build time to repair them so you have some delay/downtime where you're weaker for a while, without completely erasing your progress...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 25, 2020

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
On hunting theocratic clergy for gold:

Fabricate Hooks/Abduct/Intrigue is crazy overpowered if you target the right people. Need money? Don't bother using it to get a pittance of 200 or 300 gold with some steward trait, go for 2000+ paydays.

Just look for people with funny hats at courts of powerful empires or kings. Theocratic clergy tend to carry around thousands of gold which they're perfectly happy to abscond with to your court via Invite to Court and a hook. The most famous ones I have in mind are the Orthodox and Catholics. Imprison or begin the abduction process once they are in your court on these targets immediately and banish them for a payday. To prevent "garbage collection" or them leaving if the court gets full, appoint them as court physician. If you've exhausted the obvious empires and kings, you can also find these folks in the character finder by male, adult, one of the 4 variants of the education trait (it's an AND query-only unfortunately), non-ruler, and wearing a funny hat. It's also advisable to avoid targeting the ailing health priests.

On 100 stat man heirs:

The 100 stat man heir exploit where you make the heir have 100 diplo, 100 martial, 100 steward, 100 intrigue, ? learning, 100 prowess works very reliably with Byzantine/Roman. You just need some way to unland your heir and a great big bucket of money. For Byzantine/Roman, move the realm capital away from Constantinople/Rome, grant the mentioned locale to the heir, send gift them about 100k in gold or give them a religious head of faith title and let them gather 100k from communions, do the "Reclaim Constantinople/Rome" decision, and watch them. They'll instantly bump to 100 stat man in a few weeks at some tick.

This is a knock-on affect of patch 1.1 where wanderers will use their money to "improve" themselves. This was done to try to rid the world of really rich wanderers. If you send your heir on this same pilgrimage, you too can exploit this.

I suppose there might be a way to unland heirs for non-Byzantine/Roman empires. Perhaps grant the heir some land next to some zealots, preferably de jure to the zealot, goad them into a holy war on the land the heir has a title on, and once a holy war is declared, immediately surrender?

crazysim fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 25, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

crazysim posted:

This is a knock-on affect of patch 1.1 where wanderers will use their money to "improve" themselves. This was done to try to rid the world of really rich wanderers. If you send your heir on this same pilgrimage, you too can exploit this.

I still don't know why they decided that wanderers could use that money to "improve" themselves instead of just, well, needing to use it to maintain themselves. Travelling isn't cheap, after all, especially in noble style.

I guess the idea is that if they aren't getting hired somewhere then it's because their stats aren't high enough and they should get boosted until they are?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dallan Invictus posted:

I still don't know why they decided that wanderers could use that money to "improve" themselves instead of just, well, needing to use it to maintain themselves. Travelling isn't cheap, after all, especially in noble style.

I guess the idea is that if they aren't getting hired somewhere then it's because their stats aren't high enough and they should get boosted until they are?

They should be able to use the money as adventurers, sort of like how adventurers used to work, but also letting them claim mercenaries from the pool by directly hiring them.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is there any way to make the pope go away and stop calling crusades? I’ve mended the great schism so everyone is orthodox. There are no catholic rulers (and only 13 counties with catholic population) and the pope has no land so he can’t raise his troops. The crusade can only be won by waiting for the “defender controls target” counter to tick up to 100%. And if I don’t raise any troops I lose a level of fame. It’s a big pain.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

They should be able to use the money as adventurers, sort of like how adventurers used to work, but also letting them claim mercenaries from the pool by directly hiring them.

Maybe they could also just spend their money on troops and form a new mercenary band.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Maybe they could also just spend their money on troops and form a new mercenary band.

100 stat man leading a mercenary band

:getin:

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is there any way to make the pope go away and stop calling crusades? I’ve mended the great schism so everyone is orthodox. There are no catholic rulers (and only 13 counties with catholic population) and the pope has no land so he can’t raise his troops. The crusade can only be won by waiting for the “defender controls target” counter to tick up to 100%. And if I don’t raise any troops I lose a level of fame. It’s a big pain.

I wasn't able to find a way. Maybe, just maybe, you can convert to Norse, Islam, Slavic, Baltic, or Greco-Roman, do the dismantle the papacy decision with Italia fully conquered, and switch back before any permanent damage is done. It'll cost *a lot* of piety and definitely some loss of devotion. It's very permanent though, so it might worth the hassle.

If you need immediate relief, as long as the land surrendered isn't too big, just surrendering is OK and your vassals will begin dissolving the resurrected catholic kingdom immediately after you surrender. Even better is that while this dissolving is happening, any more Catholic crusades can be solved faster purely by crushing the tiny armies flowing out as crusades are winnable by only battling.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 25, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

crazysim posted:

I wasn't able to find a way. Maybe, just maybe, you can convert to Norse, Islam, Slavic, Baltic, or Greco-Roman, do the dismantle the papacy decision with Italia fully conquered, and switch back before any permanent damage is done. It'll cost *a lot* of piety and definitely some loss of devotion. It's very permanent though, so it might worth the hassle.

If you need immediate relief, as long as the land surrendered isn't too big, just surrendering is OK and your vassals will begin dissolving the resurrected catholic kingdom immediately after you surrender. Even better is that while this dissolving is happening, any more Catholic crusades can be solved faster purely by crushing the tiny armies flowing out as crusades are winnable by only battling.

If Catholicism loses ecumenism then the "dismantle the papacy" decision becoming available to everyone would help a lot to resolve this because yeah it's sort of annoying that you need to do these weird third party conversions to get rid of them, even though the whole point of mending the schism is invalidating the power of the Catholic church (or I guess making them the only legitimate power if you do it as a Catholic).

Either that or maybe they should port over the thing from CK2 where if a crusade doesn't get enough interest it just gets automatically cancelled, so a landless pope with no Catholic lords anywhere can't call a war that is impossible for him to win.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You can destroy the papacy by vassalizing the pope and then revoking all his titles, but if he's unlanded you cant do that, which sucks.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I have the opposite problem: apparently, I lost holy wars when I created a fancy new (Christian) heresy, and even though both Christianity and Islam have had their turn, I can't seem to get the option to get any great holy wars of myself going. What on earth tenet or doctrine combo would have caused that?

I've got both Armed Pilgrimages and Pursuit of Power — is one cancelling out the other so I only get conquest CBs rather than holy war ones?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tippis posted:

I have the opposite problem: apparently, I lost holy wars when I created a fancy new (Christian) heresy, and even though both Christianity and Islam have had their turn, I can't seem to get the option to get any great holy wars of myself going. What on earth tenet or doctrine combo would have caused that?

I've got both Armed Pilgrimages and Pursuit of Power — is one cancelling out the other so I only get conquest CBs rather than holy war ones?

Are you the head of faith? Did you have a spiritual one? Only the head of faith can declare GHWs.

Buschmaki posted:

You can destroy the papacy by vassalizing the pope and then revoking all his titles, but if he's unlanded you cant do that, which sucks.

"Exists in the void" heads of faith is pretty high on my list of things I hope they put a fix out for soon. It's not exactly a bug but it's a weird design decision that has lots of consequences, from "can't land my custom faith's head of faith" which is a little annoying, to "unlanded, powerless Pope declaring Crusades indefinitely" which is VERY annoying.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Are you the head of faith? Did you have a spiritual one? Only the head of faith can declare GHWs.

Yes — temporal. But even without that, the regular holy wars should show up as CBs and they don't. It's as if religious warfare of any kind is off the menu for everyone.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Tippis posted:

Yes — temporal. But even without that, the regular holy wars should show up as CBs and they don't. It's as if religious warfare of any kind is off the menu for everyone.

You need high fervor. What’s the fervor?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
When you get deposed are you supposed to lose the title AND start playing as your heir?

I knew the first thing would happen but wasn't expecting the second. Now my old ruler is just sitting around the court in the prime of his life while I play as his infant son.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Tippis posted:

Do you have a liege of a different faith? You can only holy war if you and your liege share the same faith, or are independent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

fuf posted:

When you get deposed are you supposed to lose the title AND start playing as your heir?

I knew the first thing would happen but wasn't expecting the second. Now my old ruler is just sitting around the court in the prime of his life while I play as his infant son.

Yeah if you get deposed you lose all your landed titles, and you can't play as an unlanded person.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah if you get deposed you lose all your landed titles, and you can't play as an unlanded person.

Oh ok I thought I just got deposed as king and would keep my county. I guess that makes sense but still feels like things get confusing (and buggy?) when you are a vassal. My liege just tried to revoke my title, then imprisoned me, then released me, but I still have the title? I keep expecting a game over but maybe the game tries to be generous to a failing player.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ahh, no you can lose your top title (like if it's revoked, you lose to a claimant faction, or it is transferred by election during succession), but yeah deposition is a loss of all your titles; abdication is the same way.

As for your liege he would have to revoke it while you were imprisoned to actually take your title, and if he just didn't that is probably just the AI being dumb.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I was rocking a genius steward emperor and was about 700 piety short of being able to make a new religion modeled on equality for all. So I took a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and was murdered along the way. Whoops.

My 10 year old genius steward takes over, someone who would’ve been a good emperor eventually. And within three years I lost my first war. Unfortunately it was the war to put my cousin on the throne of the empire. And now I’m playing as a vassal for the first time ever. It is...a change! It’s weird to not be able to do whatever I want. Getting notifications that I can go to war with someone but also I can’t because they’re a fellow vassal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah if you had High or Absolute Crown authority you're most likely going to want to change that ASAP, so go start/join the Liberty faction. If you can get hooks on your liege you can also use those to have him look the other way on your wars.

Playing a vassal is generally more fun tbh

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

crazysim posted:

You need high fervor. What’s the fervor?

It hovers between 90 and 100 since no-one is doing any foolish holy wars :D

scaterry posted:

Do you have a liege of a different faith? You can only holy war if you and your liege share the same faith, or are independent.

Oh! Bingo. That would be the cause then, since a large part of the point of my run is to hide within an empire that looks big and scary.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

PittTheElder posted:

Playing a vassal is generally more fun tbh

Unless you're a distant ruler of a different faith/culture and your liege keeps releasing your holdings to the loving populist rebels without even a fight.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Am I being very dumb or is there no way to get specific educations for your kids now? In Ck2 they tended to go down the branch of their guardian but I really wanted a high learning heir, sent him to be educated by the smartest man in Europe who had near 40 learning, and he ends up becoming a shite steward. Annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

ThomasPaine posted:

Am I being very dumb or is there no way to get specific educations for your kids now? In Ck2 they tended to go down the branch of their guardian but I really wanted a high learning heir, sent him to be educated by the smartest man in Europe who had near 40 learning, and he ends up becoming a shite steward. Annoying!

When your child develops their first trait, it usually affords a bonus to two skill trees. When they turn six, there’s an icon on their portrait for which other they can go down. Click that and you can change it. You can only change it once though.