Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hope earth is just billions of naked hippies serenely laying about in fields elysian, aware of yet unconcerned with events in the entire universe surrounding them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

I hope earth is just billions of naked hippies serenely laying about in fields elysian, aware of yet unconcerned with events in the entire universe surrounding them

This would be a good opportunity to put more tits in the show but I think they like violence too much

Sadly I wrote that sentence about Star Trek and not whatever series is on HBO this month

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Crusader posted:

given this is post-temporal cold/hot war, you could justify showing his ultimate fate in the kevlinverse; e.g. eventually starfleet time agents were able to find the right timestream he landed in blahblah and for historical completeness recorded the rest of his life and returned to the main timeline... hell, you could unify the whole kelvinverse that way really

I quite like this idea.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Bloop posted:

This would be a good opportunity to put more tits in the show but I think they like violence too much

I mean we haven't had a Klingon episode yet this season I'm still confidant.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Klingons should just look a new, completely different way in this time period

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Speaking of klingons wheres clem fandango? Is he just sitting in the section 31 office back in the past wondering where everyone went?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hopefully off the show forever

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Clem’s back in the 23rd century, so the only real way he can appear now is if he pops up in Strange New Worlds.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Clem’s back in the 23rd century, so the only real way he can appear now is if he pops up in Strange New Worlds.

His klingon supersoldier surgery also made him immortal so he is still alive and will join the crew in episode 4

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

The Bloop posted:

His klingon supersoldier surgery also made him immortal so he is still alive and will join the crew in episode 4

If this spoiler is true I'm going to time travel and kick your dad in the nuts in episode 5.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

All the Klingons were wiped out centuries ago, except for a hidden monastery where they grow crystals...that enable time travel...........

(please no)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

No it's gonna be gritty and dystopian.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

No it's gonna be gritty and dystopian.

You misspelled lovely

I guess autocorrect is semi dystopian though

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

If this season really is Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek: Andromeda, then they should go full 'Rommie and just have Ash's N'th-level grandson show up and he just looks exactly like Disco Ash. It's how they got Steve Bacic back on Andromeda after they killed his character in the pilot :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

nine-gear crow posted:

If this season really is Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek: Andromeda, then they should go full 'Rommie and just have Ash's N'th-level grandson show up and he just looks exactly like Disco Ash. It's how they got Steve Bacic back on Andromeda after they killed his character in the pilot :v:

Make Ash Tyler the Duncan Idaho of Star Trek he's just in every single one from now on.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
An alien species thinks that replicating the Ash Tyler form will distract Michael Burnham, one of the most influential person in history.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Klingons should just look a new, completely different way in this time period

They should look like standard humans with too much bronzer and stereotypically Oriental facial hair. Make sure their costumes are around 30% lamé, and we're all set.

When one of the Discovery crew asks why the Klingons look that way, we already know what the answer will be.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

They should look like standard humans with too much bronzer and stereotypically Oriental facial hair. Make sure their costumes are around 30% lamé, and we're all set.

When one of the Discovery crew asks why the Klingons look that way, we already know what the answer will be.

Looks like Dr Soong XXIV is at it again!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Looks like Dr Soong XXIV is at it again!

After Michael says that, everybody on the bridge starts laughing except for Georgiou, who rolls her eyes in bemused annoyance. Freeze frame. Roll credits. After a few seconds, the freeze frame of Georgiou wipes away, and a succession of stills from earlier in the episode are shown as the credits roll by.

Edit:

Sit, Saru, sit! Good dog.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Please tell me there is some sassy saxophone playing over the credits.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tarlibone posted:

You know, given how violent, subjugatory, and expansionist the Klingon Empire is outright stated to be across basically all of Star Trek, I'm surprised its taken up to Discovery to even obliquely touch on the fact that "Klingon" is probably an umbrella term for a whole melting pot of conquered races, many of whom have probably by now been irreparably borked genetically thanks to generations of Klingon inbreeding or some poo poo. Like how everyone in the Roman Empire was a "Roman" no matter where they lived, or how Ghengis Khan is the ancestor of like 0.5% of all humanity because he and his sons were that prodigious rapists.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 27, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
They kinda did that with the Romulans, but I hadn't connected it with how the Romans became like that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

tarlibone posted:

After Michael says that, everybody on the bridge starts laughing except for Georgiou, who rolls her eyes in bemused annoyance. Freeze frame. Roll credits. After a few seconds, the freeze frame of Georgiou wipes away, and a succession of stills from earlier in the episode are shown as the credits roll by.

Edit:

Sit, Saru, sit! Good dog.

Mirror Soong made people who act like androids (I have no idea if a book did this or something, but it's obvious evil-Spiner)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Mirror Soong made people who act like androids (I have no idea if a book did this or something, but it's obvious evil-Spiner)

Soong’s grandfather, Arik Soong made a bunch of super humans because he was an rear end in a top hat and he really admired Khan, only whoops, they all went crazy so the NX-01 Enterprise had to swoop in and blow them all up. He then went “gently caress this, Imma do robots instead, but it’ll probably take until my grandson or something before one actually gets made WINK WINK DO YOU SEE HOW CLEVER I AM AUDIENCE, said the writer.”

And it was just Brent Spiner in a tweed jacket.

So yes, you were more correct than you thought.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Marmaduke! posted:

They kinda did that with the Romulans, but I hadn't connected it with how the Romans became like that.

What are remans then, romulan inbreeding with dogs that evolutioned into a race of moon slaves?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Well, not everything has a direct correlation, though I'll bet the Romans treated some slaves that bad. That's just reminded me that for a short while the Romulans were ruled by a human clone that lived on Remus (and, never forget, played by Tom Hardy of all people). Now that's multiculturalism!

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
I watched "The Quality of Life" last night and didn't want my idle doodlings to go to waste, so why not pop into the Star Trek thread?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zarikov posted:

I watched "The Quality of Life" last night and didn't want my idle doodlings to go to waste, so why not pop into the Star Trek thread?

Peanut Hamper: the college years. (It's a natural time to experiment.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zarikov posted:

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ev1ec0Z0GI&t=79s

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Zarikov posted:

I read that as 'poop into star trek thread'.
Mixed feelings now because the doodle is glorious

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

In my lifetime, words that were commonplace in my and everyone else's vocabulary when I was a teen and young adult are now widely considered uncouth. I can't imagine what I'm doing now that's offensive in the future.

me either but i would immediately change my habits and thoughts to regain the freedom to look down on the future-uncouth

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Erulisse posted:

What are remans then, romulan inbreeding with dogs that evolutioned into a race of moon slaves?

According to The Lore, the Remans were the native species of what would become the Romulan capital star system. They just had the incredibly lovely luck to be born on inhospitable tidal locked hellworld instead of the beautiful garden paradise world that was so close they could literally see in the sky at night but has no means to reaching themselves. When the Romulans got kicked off of Vulcan and settled on Romulus, the first thing they did was conquer Remus too and made the Remans into their first vassal race.

e: Actually apparently this hasn't been established anywhere in The Lore because Nemesis was so poorly thought out no one has bothered to go back to that well and try to paper over all the stupid choices done in the making of it, so that's actually just conjecture. Oops.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 28, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Remans haven't even really shown up outside of Nemesis

They weren't mentioned at all in the Picard Show during all of the talk about the Romulan evacuations

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Didn't ST:LD have a throwaway joke between two Romulans about the Remans?

"You know who I hate?"
"No."
"Remans!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

They weren't mentioned at all in the Picard Show during all of the talk about the Romulan evacuations

They showed up on Enterprise briefly, and got a mention in Lower Decks, but yeah, that's it. That was one of the things that Picard dropped the ball on and apparently the Star Trek: Titan books, at least the first one look at was "Okay, let's examine the fallout from a literal slave race rising up and knocking the government of one of the most powerful and fascist entities in the Alpha Quadrant flat on its rear end."

The Remans are actually a rather fascinating and possibly sympathetic race to explore and yet no one has figured out seemingly how to do it properly yet so, gently caress it they all died when Romulus exploded, I dunno.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Strong Convections posted:

It's unclear, but I took it as they did give Reno something and she was correctly following orders to take it easy until they could give her proper care. When Culber shows up in engineering he tells Reno off because he'd told her to come see him if she was in pain (which is at least 2 hours after she initially started keeping an eye on Stamets) - so she's at least spoken to a doctor.

I took from the Bad Guy and Tilly conversation that it was 16* critically injured crew - still critical hours after the crash even with all the future tech. It's unclear how many of the medical staff remained aboard, so we don't know the 'capacity' of a medical team aboard a science vessel, but they were also fixing up people throughout the fight with Control - and we also have no idea if they suffered casualties. If they've kicked Stamets out of a bed there's probably a lot of other crew walking around that either were patched up and sent on their way (Detmer) or really should be there still like Stamets - I doubt they'd count Stamets (or Reno) in the 16 even if he's pretty limited in what he can do.

She was not just reading from the manual, she was guiding Stamets and keeping an eye on him. She doesn't leave him because he needs her there - so she has the Doctor brought up for her pain as well as for Stamets. "Reading from the manual" was required because it's implied that Stamets is in so much pain at the point that he can't think straight.

Her sass was hilarious, as was Culber's. Stamets is:

and he deserves every bit of sass sent his way for being so ridiculous.

* not 11. 72 vs 88, it's around 37mins in if you want to check
You're right about the numbers now that I think about it. I had seen the episode twice when I wrote that and still didn't remember!

I just find it very hard to believe her back is so put out that she's lingering around talking but not really doing. I know I could point to an equal amount of examples of people conveniently being out of commission in TOS vs a miracle drug fixing something serious so perhaps that's not the best direction to go.

For me a lot of the drama seemed contrived or unnecessary. I thought the parasitic ice was lame when something more reasonable could have been just as effective. It's enough that they're crashed on an ice planet without knowing what the hell is going on without another doomsday clock ticking away; there's marauders, the ship is maybe sinking, life supports are failing. Plus it seemed like show's over the minute nightfall hits, but they still had time to sit around and chat after Tilly pointed out the sun went down. The ship's hull was audibly crunching under some of that ice weight, but it's going to go into space, then perhaps even Earth thru spore drive? Whatever, they'll be fine.

I think I just find the show picks and chooses too much when the stakes matter, so after two seasons of the absolute worst happening to them in every episode I'm just worn out when the end of a season comes along. The phaser fight through the transporters was cool in the last episode because it was over the top but used existing tech in a way I hadn't seen before. But in this episode, everyone on the ship is pretty pissy about what's going on except Saru and Tilly, which is understandable but doesn't make for the kind of Star Trek I wanna watch. Often times I found the dialogue itself wasn't good enough to pull me through the ship storyline.

Now with that said, I do wanna stress I mostly liked what happened in Saloontown. The Coridians were cautious but willing to have hope and ideals, and I actually felt sad when the one guy had his blue running down his face as he died in agony. The preview for next episode gives me cautious hope and ideals - I just hope my eyeballs don't bleed for it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Powered Descent posted:

Peanut Hamper: the college years. (It's a natural time to experiment.)

More like Peanut Humper :chast2b:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Michael Chabon was actually asked about the Remans while PIC was airing, and he straight-up said he didn't like the Remans so he just pretended they didn't exist while writing PIC.

nine-gear crow posted:

According to The Lore, the Remans were the native species of what would become the Romulan capital star system. They just had the incredibly lovely luck to be born on inhospitable tidal locked hellworld instead of the beautiful garden paradise world that was so close they could literally see in the sky at night but has no means to reaching themselves. When the Romulans got kicked off of Vulcan and settled on Romulus, the first thing they did was conquer Remus too and made the Remans into their first vassal race.

e: Actually apparently this hasn't been established anywhere in The Lore because Nemesis was so poorly thought out no one has bothered to go back to that well and try to paper over all the stupid choices done in the making of it, so that's actually just conjecture. Oops.

Fan lore for the Remans is weird since they were late additions to Trek canon and people had been writing Romulan backstory for literal decades before they showed up on the scene. I think in the more recent Spock novels written by Joseph Sherman and Susan Shwartz they establish that both Romulus and Remus were settled by the colonization fleet that left Vulcan, but the colonists who settled on Remus ended up separated from their brethren who settled on Romulus thanks to the difficulty of space travel during the initial stages of colonization, political differences within the exile community, and finally good old-fashioned biological mutation. The books establishing all this came out in 2006-7, and as such ended up being adopted as the "official" background for the Romulans and Remans by the modern novelverse and by Star Trek Online. Funnily enough, STO is the only Trek property that has actually tried to do much of anything with the Remans, with a few plotlines about the Remans trying to establish new lives for themselves after the fall of the homeworlds while trying to fend off the predations of the Romulan Star Empire as it grows more grotesque and inhumane in its death throes.