Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey, they also made Speed Racer

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ultrafilter posted:

Apparently the Palerunner achievement is for glitching the game, which definitely feels in line for DE.

Incidentally if anyone still needs to get that achievement you can get it by going into the doomed commercial area, unequipping your flashlight, saving, and then loading the save. You'll get kicked back to the gym area and it will unlock.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

game suggests i'm the sorry cop, i don't want to be the sorry cop :(

what do those do mechanically? the way the dialogue was structured it seemed to be a permanent determination so I waffled and told it to gently caress off

i kinda sorta tried to go with "me" wrt chargen so the game calling me out was a bit of an oof

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Be less sorry? I don't think it has mechanical effects, the only things that so are internalized thoughts.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The definition of mechanical effect can be a little broad. The game can sometimes differentiate between you having an uninternalized thought and having discarded it entirely.

But mostly, each copotype gives a thought that you can internalize. If you don't it mostly doesn't matter but later on someone might say you are a sorry cop, or you might get a sorry cop response you wouldn't othewise.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ciaphas posted:

game suggests i'm the sorry cop, i don't want to be the sorry cop :(

what do those do mechanically? the way the dialogue was structured it seemed to be a permanent determination so I waffled and told it to gently caress off

i kinda sorta tried to go with "me" wrt chargen so the game calling me out was a bit of an oof

You don’t have to be consistent. You can easily be a Boring Sorry Apocalypse Superstar Cop who preaches the virtues of Liberalism, Communism, the Free Market, and Fascism.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, knocking things off the list. Got the good dream ending, saw various sights... Does anyone know how many Van Eyck gig posters there are scattered around? Not sure if I missed any. Couldn't bear to do a Cuno run, I just couldn't let that happen to Kim.

I'm assuming there's no actual solution to the puzzle that is the red chair room?

christmas boots posted:

You don’t have to be consistent. You can easily be a Boring Sorry Apocalypse Superstar Cop who preaches the virtues of Liberalism, Communism, the Free Market, and Fascism.

Sort of considering a Fascist Feminist run just to see if they interact at all.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

It's fine to be sorry cop. After all, you do have a lot to apologise for

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

A literal feminazi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

The game even recognises if you do, much to Kim's confusion.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Welp, at 10pm on day 2 I FINALLY noticed the bathroom mirror... I was wondering why Harry's portrait was blurred, too! :v:
Also, is there any reason to lose The Expression? I assume it'll change Harry's pic to lose the super-sleazy, superstar grin, but will it actually affect anything, otherwise?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

e-dt posted:

It's fine to be sorry cop. After all, you do have a lot to apologise for

Lord knows. That must have been an incredible bender - alcohol's a no-go zone for me so I don't have the measure :v: i overapologize enough irl tho damnit, fuckin game callin me out

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

do appreciate getting to shout at and/or verbally confuse racists, tho, that's a kick

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Ciaphas posted:

Lord knows. That must have been an incredible bender - alcohol's a no-go zone for me so I don't have the measure :v: i overapologize enough irl tho damnit, fuckin game callin me out

The bender was truly galactic by any measure, especially considering that it was mostly solo. It's surprisingly authentic and true to how it can go irl as well (maybe just a tad embellished and exaggerated), as far as suicidal blackout-drunk all-drugs-at-the-same-time benders go.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

Welp, at 10pm on day 2 I FINALLY noticed the bathroom mirror... I was wondering why Harry's portrait was blurred, too! :v:
Also, is there any reason to lose The Expression? I assume it'll change Harry's pic to lose the super-sleazy, superstar grin, but will it actually affect anything, otherwise?

that's a pretty big "otherwise"

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

GlyphGryph posted:

If you are already a feminist by the time Endurance tries to sell you on fascism, there's a line for it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How does the passage of ingame time work? I'd like to leave the game open on a conversation and go through it on and off through the workday :sigh::backtowork:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Time only passes when you make choices during conversations and other interactive segments.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
And only new ones IIRC. If you’re clicking on a line that’s been grayed out no time passes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
DE has the best own of fascists in its description of the ideology:

"This is the baddest of all the ideologies, so no one admits they’re a fascist. Rather, they’re “traditionalists”. Or “nationalists”, a term they get really angry if you associate with fascism. (No one wants leprosy on their brand.)

The emotional draw here is, of course, that pretty girl who didn’t want to sleep with you. The other ideologies don’t explain why that happened. Fascism does. Because the commies pushed the king under a street car and now nothing in the world is holy or beautiful. During your stay in Revachol plenty of women will tell you no, so, naturally, most people will pick this one. I mean, who doesn’t want “absolutely giant fascist” in their Steam achievements? Also, it goes really well with alcoholism."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
DE's depiction of fascism is great because so often media depictions of fascism focus on the leadership, but a person who leads a fascist movement is very different from a person who follows one, and there is very little examination of the latter. Fascists aren't all little Hitlers marching around wanting to conquer the world, they're mostly sad losers who want to cozy up to an authoritarian who promises to hurt the people they hate so that they don't have to confront their own inadequacies.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Most of HDB's politics has some element of psychosexual underlining, but fascism is the one that makes it most explicit.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Most of HDB's politics has some element of psychosexual underlining, but fascism is the one that makes it most explicit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Finishing the autopsy on site is so much better than doing it in the fridge.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
This game was absolutely wonderful. Still kind of unclear about some of the motives around the hanged man though specifically why they decided to fake a hanging in the first place, let alone leaving the body to rot. Both Ruby and Klaasje claim the other one came up with the fake rape+lynching idea almost immediately, Klaasje seems the most likely one due to her chronic inability to tell the truth about anything. Still what does faking a lynching gain outside of making the other mercenaries incredibly pissed off? Titus and the boys going along with things to protect Klaasje makes sense, but I can't figure out what Klaasje was trying to accomplish unless she for some reason wanted to cause a civil war?

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

christmas boots posted:

Finishing the autopsy on site is so much better than doing it in the fridge.

on top of the funny comments from the kids, i enjoy that if you do the whole autopsy successfully including bullet removal on-site, you get a bonus to cuno's empathy check, because he witnessed you do it and thinks it was awesome. :v:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

This game was absolutely wonderful. Still kind of unclear about some of the motives around the hanged man though specifically why they decided to fake a hanging in the first place, let alone leaving the body to rot. Both Ruby and Klaasje claim the other one came up with the fake rape+lynching idea almost immediately, Klaasje seems the most likely one due to her chronic inability to tell the truth about anything. Still what does faking a lynching gain outside of making the other mercenaries incredibly pissed off? Titus and the boys going along with things to protect Klaasje makes sense, but I can't figure out what Klaasje was trying to accomplish unless she for some reason wanted to cause a civil war?

well, something has to be done with the corpse of a guy who's got bosses that expect reports from him. can't dump him in the bay without somebody asking where he went. also, Klaasje benefits from a glitzy cover story that doesn't directly involve her. if Lely were just dead, an investigation would necessarily involve her as his lover - jilted revenge or something? on the other hand, the faked lynching gives cops something else to focus on. Titus throws the game by mentioning the alleged rape way too early rather than focusing on Lely being a trained Pinkerton murder machine, since Titus is into Klaasje, giving Harry the human can opener something to pull at.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

World War Mammories posted:

well, something has to be done with the corpse of a guy who's got bosses that expect reports from him. can't dump him in the bay without somebody asking where he went. also, Klaasje benefits from a glitzy cover story that doesn't directly involve her. if Lely were just dead, an investigation would necessarily involve her as his lover - jilted revenge or something? on the other hand, the faked lynching gives cops something else to focus on. Titus throws the game by mentioning the alleged rape way too early rather than focusing on Lely being a trained Pinkerton murder machine, since Titus is into Klaasje, giving Harry the human can opener something to pull at.

Yeah, and if people start looking at Klassje too closely then the Moralintern won't be far behind

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oh, yeah, that ties the whole thing together. can you finish the game without learning about Klaasje's career in industrial espionage?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

The fake lynching was Evrart's idea, because he does indeed want a war.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Fister Roboto posted:

There was a phone in the Whirling. Evrart has a phone or two at his disposal. If Klaasje called him for advice, we have to ask why she knows him and his number. Did he bring her to Martinaise in the first place? Did he instruct the deserter to shoot the mercenary, as he'd done with other people before?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

There was a phone in the Whirling. Evrart has a phone or two at his disposal. If Klaasje called him for advice, we have to ask why she knows him and his number. Did he bring her to Martinaise in the first place? Did he instruct the deserter to shoot the mercenary, as he'd done with other people before?

Why would the deserter take orders from Evrart? Did I miss something?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

For food and other supplies most likely. He didn't spend the last 50 years entirely on the island.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

Eh, I'm not too sold on that, personally. I don't think the pieces line up, really - Evrart didn't know about Klaasje's past, I'm pretty sure, and the logistics of the situation wouldn't allow him to plan it all that well, or react to it in any reasonable way, imo. He definitely used the situation to his own end though - further escalating the feud and pushing the conflict to become violent.

Also, I don't think it would work all that well thematically speaking - if Evrart arranged the murder of the merc, that really takes the agency and the character depth away from the Deserter. The whole story works much better if the Deserder killed the merc on his own volition, at least that's what seems to me. Furthermore, Klaasje's strength as a character suffers as well - plus, there are several witness statements that corroborate each other pointing towards Klaasje being the sole source of the lynching plan, *and* that makes much more sense narratively speaking.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

nurmie posted:

Eh, I'm not too sold on that, personally. I don't think the pieces line up, really - Evrart didn't know about Klaasje's past, I'm pretty sure, and the logistics of the situation wouldn't allow him to plan it all that well, or react to it in any reasonable way, imo. He definitely used the situation to his own end though - further escalating the feud and pushing the conflict to become violent.

Also, I don't think it would work all that well thematically speaking - if Evrart arranged the murder of the merc, that really takes the agency and the character depth away from the Deserter. The whole story works much better if the Deserder killed the merc on his own volition, at least that's what seems to me. Furthermore, Klaasje's strength as a character suffers as well - plus, there are several witness statements that corroborate each other pointing towards Klaasje being the sole source of the lynching plan, *and* that makes much more sense narratively speaking.

:same:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

The deserter doesn’t like Evrart anyway. He talks poo poo about Evrart. He did the one job for him then decided Evrart was a poser.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Evrart Claire isn't a mastermind puppetmaster, he's just very good at knowing how to make new developments work out in his favor.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, the whole situation in Martinaise is deliberately being strained to the breaking point because Evrart need something to happen but it's pure happenstance that this murder happens in the way that it does. But it's as good an opportunity as any and if it hadn't been that it would have been something else, it was only a matter of time

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

ThaumPenguin posted:

Evrart Claire isn't a mastermind puppetmaster, he's just very good at knowing how to make new developments work out in his favor.

That and his brother Edgar is the true brains of the outfit, by everyone recognition. Very curious about seeing him in action someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Transient People posted:

That and his brother Edgar is the true brains of the outfit, by everyone recognition. Very curious about seeing him in action someday.

You already have. Remember that Edgar is the brother with the lazy eye, yet you can clearly see it on "Evrart's" portrait.