Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I've been with Plusnet for years and they regularly undercut competitors when it comes to renewal time. Service has been pretty faultless. Stock router modem is poo poo but a mate gave me an unused BTHub 5 which is fine. I recently added a Tenda Mesh setup for WiFi and it's been brilliant, plug and play and 2 nodes has been enough for the entire house plus garage. They were also half the price or more of their competitors and have Ethernet ports for plugging in hardware if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

forkboy84 posted:

At my grandad's funeral I had to hold one of the corners as it was lowered into the grave & I was fidgeting & thoughtlessly wrapped the cord around my hand and when they started lowering the thing I almost fell into the grave. That'd have been cool.

I was only little and in school on the day, but I understand that my maternal grandmother's funeral was a farce, with everything from mis-matched (and no doubt drunk or stoned) pall-bearers (hippy friends of the parents), to the cheap coffin disintergrating in monsoon rain in the process of being being lowered into the grave.

No-one, including my Mum, particularly liked my grandmother, hence the low-effort bare-minimum funeral and me being at school.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I love Hyperoptic, £22 quid a month, no need for a phone line, amazing. The only thing is they may need to physically run a cable into your place so you'll need to be happy for that to be done.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I use Three home hub unlimited no phone line necessary. Obviously need good 4g signal. Been using it almost a year now very few problems except 3 days in August when it was impossible. (But could maybe buy btwifi or get a friend's sign ins if you absolutely need in crisis).
If you look into it you might need to be quite insistent that it's home hub you want (unlimited £22 pm) not mifi.
Anyway top speed 80Mbps sometimes achieved typically 50-60Mbps so depends what you're planning to do.
Advantage is if you move you can take it with you.
5g available in some locations but read the stuff.
http://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband

Formerly had Plusnet in my last flat and almost no issues for 4 years. Didn't go with them when I moved for a long rigmarole reason involving SSE and the mysterious cancelling of phone line installation 3x. Hence order Three on the Wednesday it arrived on the Thursday and working within minutes.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 26, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Egypt is usually within 24hrs (or sundown of the day you die). There's no cremation and I'm not sure they do much by way of undertaking. I know in rural areas they sometimes find evidence in family crypts where the person was interred but not actually dead and tried to get out (in modern times not olden days).
It's a Muslim thing to be buried same day but I expect the Copts do too (though I might be wrong).

It's fairly common anywhere where people lived in hot conditions without access to refrigeration, because the religions that said "Keep the corpse around for two weeks in the kitchen" tended not to last very long.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

This doesn't sound very healthy or hydrating at all.

I think you'll find it's antisemitic to not buy a Soda Stream.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Trickjaw posted:

I am on Post Office and its laughably crap. I hate to say it, but think BT might be best, and looking through Virgin reviews I think Myra Hindley had more fans.

BT's customer service is appalling. I signed up with them online 2 years ago. After a day or two I got a phone call to say there was a problem with my order and I needed to phone them, because the person phoning me knew nothing about it (it was some poor sod in an Indian telemarketing company by the sound of it). I spent all morning on the phone before I got through to them at all. Then I was given two completely contradictory explanations by two different people. Finally they jacked up the price and I told them to shove it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Even one that implies it makes sparkling paint thinner? :ohdear:

Is it antisemitic to buy a Soda Stream and one of these?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Trickjaw posted:

O great knowing thread, the usual broadband question, I'm afraid: Any good deals out there, with at least a semblance of reliability? I am on Post Office and its laughably crap. I hate to say it, but think BT might be best, and looking through Virgin reviews I think Myra Hindley had more fans.

Virgin seems to very much depend on where you live, and even different areas of our small town get wildly different quality of service. I consistently achieve 380Mbps downloads with little downtime while the local FB group is full of complaints from other areas.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I once tried some scotch that someone had put through a soda stream. It wasn't very good.

That's my story thanks for listening

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

I thought those carbonation things died out in the 90s, I remember my grandparents having one

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I remember going overboard with the “add bubbles” button, to the point that taking a gulp was like a hand grenade going off in your mouth.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Even one that implies it makes sparkling paint thinner? :ohdear:

Is it antisemitic to buy a Soda Stream and one of these?

Hey, maybe it's channelling the imperialist spirit of white people?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I picked one up at a flea market years ago for a fiver but turns out it also needed special CO2 cartridges which I never ended up getting.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Borrovan posted:

I once tried some scotch that someone had put through a soda stream. It wasn't very good.

That's my story thanks for listening

I tried to make fizzy milk with ours when I was a kid

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's fairly common anywhere where people lived in hot conditions without access to refrigeration, because the religions that said "Keep the corpse around for two weeks in the kitchen" tended not to last very long.

I mean, something something sky burials something something towers of silence as another option, of course.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Thanks all for the messages and condolences. I didn't think it would, but it does genuinely help to know people are thinking of me and my family.

Re: Internet providers, I think to sum up your options it's: Go with one of the "Big-rear end cheap" providers like Plusnet, Sky, Virgin, Talktalk... Post Office(?) Where you can get a connection for something like £16/month if you have phone line with them etc. etc. or go with somebody like Zen, Uno, Andrews & Arnold where you'll pay more like £30-40/month.

Difference is, any from the first category are fine *until* you have any issues, and then the customer service will make you want to kill yourself. Also there may just be general stability issues or network capacity issues like slowdown at peak times, which they can't do anything about.

With the second category, you pay more, but I know that with Zen and Uno who I had at home and work respectively, if you have issues you call up, you may have a short hold time of 5-10 mins if at all, and the *first* person you speak to will be somebody who actually knows about technical stuff, not just somebody reading from a script.

Like I was able to call Uno up (then called Xylo) and the first guy I spoke to, I said "I've reset the router and computers, I've run a traceroute and seen [x] and tried pinging [y] and [z] and here's what's happening, I think it's [thing]" and instead of talking through a script they're straight on it saying "Ah yes, that would mean [blah], let me run a test... ah yes I see, I'll call the engineer out", and then the engineer actually has come out and fixed it (though it's still a BT engineer of course).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ObamaAkbar. posted:

I thought those carbonation things died out in the 90s, I remember my grandparents having one

There's a big marketing push to make them comeback, targeting along environmental (no plastic waste) and health lines.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Tarnop posted:

I tried to make fizzy milk with ours when I was a kid

I think everyone does.

Shortly followed by regretful consideration of one’s life choices.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was able to regretfully consider my life choices without a Soda Stream :smug:

https://twitter.com/jimmfelton/status/1101477028946165760

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Camrath posted:

I think everyone does.

Shortly followed by regretful consideration of one’s life choices.

As always, solidarity is important

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ah, no, I can see where you've gone wrong:

Soda stream white spirit = good
Soda stream white phosphorous = antisemitic

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can't recall which goon is Our Goon in China - if you see this message, are you in ChengDu and does this recently opened bookstore actually exist?

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/surreal-new-bookstore-opened-china

(I can see that this big image is a rendering rather than a real photo).

Chinagoon here; I’m not in Chengdu but I’ve seen that picture doing the rounds and have no reason to believe it to be fake. Video here from Sina, which is decently respectable: https://k.sina.cn/article_1718950972_m66751c3c03300qjvf.html?from=news&subch=onews

E: Just got caught up. Condolences WhatEvil; in the short term there will be a ton of work to do and sometimes it can help to just bury yourself in that for a while.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 26, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A countertop device that made phosphorus would be pretty cool. Not something I'd want in my kitchen, but phosphorus of any type is a paperwork nightmare.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

There's a big marketing push to make them comeback, targeting along environmental (no plastic waste) and health lines.

OK, you're going to have to walk me thoguh the 'Lies' part cause 1, they take back (Pay back too, even) the empty gas cans and 2, surely sparkling water is healiher than, say, a whole bunch of a softdrink of choice?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ConanThe3rd posted:

OK, you're going to have to walk me thoguh the 'Lies' part cause 1, they take back (Pay back too, even) the empty gas cans and 2, surely sparkling water is healiher than, say, a whole bunch of a softdrink of choice?

Think you've misread? They said "health lines" not "lies".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I have (I misread it as, spcifically, "Envroment and Health lies"), sorry.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

WhatEvil posted:

Think you've misread? They said "health lines" not "lies".

Yup - it's this. It's a pretty smart campaign I think, and with people at home more and more I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/GarySambrook89/status/1320702726611914754?s=19

Absolutely howling at this being the abuse he's crying about.

BIG GARY HUNGIEE

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The bald faced cheek. It's the absolute least he, or his kind, deserves.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 26, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

ConanThe3rd posted:

The absolute least he deserves.

Yeah, he could be standing in front of the wall.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1320738057188986887?s=20

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If I'm running against Gary Sambrook, I'm absolutely following him around with a megaphone yelling "GARY SAMBROOK EATS BIG DINNERS".

It's the perfect slogan.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've seen a few MPs using the line that people are claiming vouchers are 'the only' way to solve child poverty.

Literally no-one is saying this. They're a small brick in a bigger hole.

Assuming its a narrative being pushed. Someone leak the memo pls.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

i guess now i understand why elon musk married this dumbass

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Twitter must be such a confusing place for Tories. After hundreds of years treating the lower classes as inhuman animals they suddenly have to actually interact with these people who are bizarrely very good at pretending to understand language and reason. It's like all the stories they were told growing up about the ignorant peasants raping their lives away at the crack dens don't count any more and they are now expected to treat these cretins with "respect" and "empathy", which is clearly absurd

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

No they’ll just find out that we don’t have real democracy in this country and their voters will get gently caress all representation

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"Let them hate us, so long as they fear us" - Margaret Thatcher

"the mean boys on twitter called me bongo head" - all modern Conservatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

Yup - it's this. It's a pretty smart campaign I think, and with people at home more and more I'm interested to see how it plays out.
The cylinders are a complete rip-off though, there's only about 400g of CO2 in them, so it works out at £32/kg even excluding the tank, or on their subscription service for £120 a year £30/kg. Pub suppliers will charge a 6.35kg tank for about £15, £2.40/kg, and even the pro-tier option of a BOC small cylinder rental scheme works out about £5/kg.

They're the printer cartridges of the kitchen appliance world, so I'd only get one if I had somewhere to put an adapter and a small tank.