Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Azza Bamboo posted:

There was a Wuxia role playing game called weapons of the gods where you rolled a number of d10s every time you used your Kung Fu. When you got matching dice you could float them in your "River" to add to a later roll instead of applying them to this roll. The result is a system that encourages you to use your Kung Fu for anything.

Why go through the door when you could use your Kung Fu to climb a drainpipe? The latter uses a Kung Fu roll. Why walk when you could wall run? The latter uses a Kung Fu roll.

It's an odd RPG but it succeeds at being thoroughly Kung Fu.

To capture that in DnD you could have it that every time they make an acrobatics check, if they roll higher than 10, they may instead take 10 on the roll and reserve the roll for a later attack roll or ability check but they can only store... Hmm... Two rolls this way?

Obviously you don't give this kind of power to a boring power gaming cheese lord who's just going to wake up after their long rest and hold everyone back for a few moments while they do front flips until they get a nat 20. You need people who get the spirit of this ability and who'll be cool about it.
I can see a couple of problems:
Mechanically, ditching down to 10 is always a downgrade, while in a doubles matching system you might be able to save one set of doubles while leaving a higher, better set of doubles untouched. In practice this puts a hard DC cap on tasks where it's possible to both get a wuxia point and succeed at your current wuxiaing, which means there's minimal mechanical encouragement to wuxiaing at potentially hard things. You also put a hard floor on the consolation prize space; if I needed 4s to succeed at something but only rolled double ones then I can bank those ones for a time when they'd be useful. If I needed a 10+ to succeed at my athletics check then I'll never get a bonus from 9 or under. This is always going to be an issue with a d20 system due to the single information channel. You need to start adding in more dice to get the same kind of thing where side benefits are linked to but can also be separated from success.

Gameplaywise, this kind of thing works great in a game where everyone is doing it but if you're the only guy rolling for wuxia every five minutes it would get real tiresome even when being used as intended.

If I was trying to get the same feel I'd start with "When making a Strength or Dexterity Ability Score roll you may substitute 20 for your die result, except when the GM instructs you to roll." Then I add some kind of potential benefit whenever you roll, like "whenever you roll a Strength or Dexterity check on a 1 or 20 regain one ki point" (or something, that's not a great mechanic I just needed a quick and dirty example). So the assumption is that of course you're wallrunning everywhere because you're always going to succeed unless the GM goes "Yeah no this one actually matters, roll 'em", and you kind of want to give the GM reasons to ask you to roll 'em because there's a chance you might get a Ki point from it. You can't do the "20 backflips every morning" thing though because the GM just won't call for a roll (but at least everyone will be very impressed by your effortless DC25 backflips).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

I don't think the fact that there are polar bears in Frostmaiden is even really a spoiler
A polarising stance

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

A polarising stance

This joke is a bit Frosty

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

New UA, a dragon themed monk and a ranger with a drake pet :3:

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020_102620_Subclasses05.pdf

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Syrinxx posted:

I'm down for more dragon themed subclasses, don't know how good these are at a glance but they're already more conceptually interesting than most of the other monk and ranger subclasses

I am crossing my fingers for a Draconic Warlock patron though

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Unless I'm missing something, the "you can use these class features a number of times equal to your proficiency, then you can start using Ki instead" is new to any Monk subclass right?

Monk still needs a lot of help but that's a good start.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I don't remember seeing it before. They both look okay? Though I don't like the limit on the Monk stuff, but once you hit your daily limit you can use Ki for them.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Syrinxx posted:

Woah these rule

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm down for more dragon themed subclasses, don't know how good these are at a glance but they're already more conceptually interesting than most of the other monk and ranger subclasses

I am crossing my fingers for a Draconic Warlock patron though

If nothing else I appreciate the little table of potential origins included with both of the subclasses. I think giving even that tiny little nudge for players to customize and reskin the existing classes goes a long way to inspiring people to be more creative and think outside the box with character creation.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'm preparing to run Curse of Strahd for my group once our current campaign wraps up.

Two of my players are rolling up a paladin and a cleric, whom should do fine with the existing things CoS offers. The other two are playing a Monk and a UA Mystic (one of my players has been dead set on playing a Mystic for a long time so I decided to give him a chance); any tips for magic items and other things I might be able to provide to help them keep up?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

The other two are playing a Monk and a UA Mystic (one of my players has been dead set on playing a Mystic for a long time so I decided to give him a chance); any tips for magic items and other things I might be able to provide to help them keep up?

Mystic is such a weird class that it really depends on the build. Most will like wizardy treasure, but it's very possible for them to be a weapon use heavy gish in medium armour, or a bard style support character. All of which will want radically different treasures.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pog boyfriend posted:

the best crafting supplement is witch+craft if you get really into crafting btw. this happens a lot, but medicine is a weird skill for this though, i would just use the tool proficiency for the skill check, with either int or wisdom as an ability. for the actual sales i would have prices set by the market of the area and slide it up or down based off any charisma check to try to sell

It was a weird situation, trust me, but it made sense in context. Thanks for the insight! :)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Is there a setting that is heavily linked to dragons? That would be my bet for an upcoming book.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

Is there a setting that is heavily linked to dragons? That would be my bet for an upcoming book.

If WotC are still doing MtG tie-ins, Tarkir? That'd be cool but out of the blue since Tarkir isn't lined up for a MtG release this year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

kanonvandekempen posted:

i mean the name of the system is dungeons and dragons

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blooming Brilliant posted:

If WotC are still doing MtG tie-ins, Tarkir? That'd be cool but out of the blue since Tarkir isn't lined up for a MtG release this year.

Can't be Dragonlance given the lawsuit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean the name of the system is dungeons and dragons

My new game, Fuckin' Dragons Everywhere Holy poo poo, will correct previous games that were not ambitious enough

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Syrinxx posted:

Draconic Disciple posted:

If you fail a Charisma (Intimidation) or Charisma (Persuasion) check, you can use your reaction to reroll the check, as you tap into the mighty presence of dragons. Once this feature turns a failure into a success, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

I like the idea of "this gives you a reroll that only gets used up if the reroll is a success." It sucks to blow an important roll, use an inspiration or limited use class feature to reroll it, and then still fail on the reroll, essentially wasting a resource for no gain on top of whatever the penalty was for failing the roll. So this is nice to have because even if you reroll and fail anyway, at least you can still try to reroll something else later on.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I like the idea of Monk abilities having a uses per day, then Ki points after you use those up. I wonder how disruptive it would be to implement that for the other sub-classes.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 26, 2020

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

The only existing one I can think of is Council of Wyrms, but that is some obscure poo poo that hasn't been around since the AD&D era so I sincerely doubt they'd be going back to that well?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KingKalamari posted:

The only existing one I can think of is Council of Wyrms, but that is some obscure poo poo that hasn't been around since the AD&D era so I sincerely doubt they'd be going back to that well?

I think it's entirely possible they'll revisit a 2E-era setting at some point, but I agree in that I'd expect it to be one of the ones with a bigger fanbase or better hook (Planescape? Spelljammer? Birthright? Kind of, uhh, all of them). I know both new and old players who want all those things; you're the first person I've seen mention Council of Wyrms basically since it came out.

Who knows what they're up to tbqh. Do like that Monk.

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 26, 2020

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The middle 2021 MTG release is a full-on Forgotten Realms set (replacing Core 2022) and accompanying supplement book, so probably not Tarkir

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Maybe its for a source book rather than a setting?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In today's installment of "get a life, AzzaBamboo"

1. Mizzen mast. Rises 150ft above the Quarterdeck of the sterncastle. Supports 3 square sails, one mizzen sail, and a vast amount of rigging. Includes a boom arm which can be used in conjunction with the capstain on the maindeck to lower the cockboats on the quarter deck into the sea. You'll often see riggers braving the ropes between these masts to set their sails.

2. Main Mast Rises 160ft above the Main Deck. Supports 4 square sails and the crow's nest. Features a boom arm which can be used in conjunction with the capstain on the maindeck to raise and lower goods into and out of the ship's main hatches. The ship's colours (flags) are hoisted to the top of this mast. You'll often see riggers braving the ropes between these masts to set their sails.

3. Crow's Nest 100ft above the Main Deck. Rigging stretches from this structure down to the side walls of the main deck below. You'll often see barrelmen watching the horizon from this structure with a spyglass. Signallers can communicate with other ships from here.

4. Foremast. Rises 150ft above the deck of the Forecastle. Supports 4 square sails and a vast amount of rigging. Also supports three lug sails that stretch between the foremast and bowsprit. You'll often see riggers braving the ropes between these masts to set their sails.

5. Poophouse deck (Poopdeck). 10ft above the level of the quarterdeck. You'll occasionally see Masters and Master's mates measuring the celestial bodies with a sextant atop this decking. You'll also see Masters and Masters mates throwing a knotted rope from this deck, measuring how many knots pass through their hands in a set time of a stopwatch in order to gauge the ship's speed.

6. Poophouse. Navigational maps, complex books which tabulate the position of the stars, stopwatches and various measuring tools are stored in this part of the ship. Two double beds berth the following figures:

The ship's Sailing Master (or just Master) who is responsible for navigating the ship.
The first Lieutenant of the ship, who takes the place of the captain their absence.
The second Lieutenant of the ship, who will often be inspecting decks and the sails, but who could become the first Lieutenant in an emergency.
The Lieutenant of the marines, who leads the infantrymen on this boat and can often be seen carrying out inspections and drills of their work.

7. Quarterdeck. Features two cockboats which can be deployed for fishing, inspecting the hull and for landings. Also features two swivel guns which loom over the main deck to deal with any boarding parties and mutinies that may emerge. There are always two marines posted here keeping watch over the main deck from this position. The captain and other officers are likely to be seen barking orders at the crew from behind the railings of this deck.

8. Forecastle Deck. A deck that looms over the foreside of the main deck. Two marines are always stationed here watching over the main deck. The flue of the galley stove pokes out of the top of this deck.

9. Wardroom A place for officers to meet and dine. The captain and first lieutenant sit at the first table at the aft of this room. Other officers sit in the chairs or the bench seating around the other tables here. Fine silverware and exquisite drinks can be found in storage in this room. All throughout the day officers can be found here making use of these tables as desk space or as places to hold discussions. All tables are secured to the floor.

10. Cockpit. The ship's wheel lies at the aft of this room. Two double beds berth the following figures:

Surgeon's Mate, who assists the ship's surgeon.
Two Master's Mates, who assist the Master and can often be seen taking the helm.
One Midshipman, who is likely a privileged teenager learning to become an officer by assisting and eventually taking over certain officers duties. Midshipmen are likely connected to one of the other officers, possibly by blood or by being a blood relative of another officer of another ship.

11. Main Deck. This deck features several stacks of cannonballs and the largest part of the upper gun batteries. Deck hands can often be seen here setting the lower ropes of the sails and carrying out cleaning as busywork for disciplinary reasons. The crew assembles here should the captain want to address them from the quarterdeck. Two marines are always stationed at each of the double doors on this deck, as crew members are not permitted inside of the Cockpit, Quarterdeck, Armory, Magazine and Forecastle unless they are invited to do so (eg when the decks need swabbing or when the officers' meals are delivered from the galley).

12. Forecastle. This room features several barrels of musketballs and serves as a guardhouse for a small detachment of marines. Three hammocks berth nine of the ship's 21 marines. These hammocks are "hotracked" which is to say that once three marines leave these hammocks, another three take rest inside of them. The flue pipe of the kitchen passes from the floor to the ceiling of this room, providing some (often welcome) heat.

13. Bowsprit. Underneath this bowsprit is an ornately carved gryphon that acts as the figurehead of this vessel. Riggers can often be seen adjusting the lug sails here, and occasionally watchmen are sent to observe the seas from the bowsprit.

14. Stairs to the Captain's Quarters.

15. Officers' Cabins. A writing desk sits in this room for the use of the officers here. Two double beds berth the following four figures:

Two Midshipmen
The Ship's Surgeon, who is responsible for the officers' health and for dealing with medical emergencies among the crew.
The Ship's Purser, who ensures the ship is well stocked and supplied as well as dealing with financial matters.

16.Captain's Quarters. This is the Captain's private bedchamber. The captain has a large desk looking out through windows at the stern of the ship. The captain always has two marines acting as their personal guard at all times, even while the captain sleeps.

17. Armory. This room contains spare cannons, small arms and several barrels of musketballs. Four hammocks berth 12 of the ship's 21 marines, and are hotracked. The four hammocks here and the three hammocks of the forecastle make up the only 7 hammocks available to the marines aboard the ship. The marines are split into watches of 7 infantrymen who each take two 8 hour watches before taking 8 hours of rest. The watches are offset 8 hours from one another such that only 7 marines are resting at any given time.

18. Gundeck This room contains the largest part of the ship's lower gun batteries, and has 30 hammocks which berth up to 60 of the ship's crew. These hammocks are hotracked as the crew is split into two 12 hour watches. At dinnertimes long benches and tables are brought up to the gundeck from the orlop deck for the crew to eat at. If there is no wind these benches may be lined up alongside the gunports and long oars brought up from the Orlop deck to row the ship with.

The ship's Gunner, a standing officer who takes responsibility of the ship's ordnance, sleeps in the hammock closest to the Armory. The gunner can often be seen inspecting the guns and ensures correct handling and storage of the gunpowder in the magazines.

Two marines stand guard outside the door to the armory.

19. Galley. This basic kitchen features barrels of salted meats and the resources needed to make hardtack as well as basic grog. Finer meals are also prepared here at different times for the officers. A single hammock in this room berths the ship's Cook, a standing officer who assumes responsibility for feeding the crew.

20. Captain's Private Store. Accessible only through a hatch in the floor of the Captain's Quarters, this reasonably spacious hold is used to store items of great worth.

21. Beer Storage. This large storage unit holds stacks of barrels of alcoholic drink which can be stacked from the bottom of the hold all the way to the floor of the armory. This store is mainly accessed through the hatch in the Armory. This can also be reached from the ship's hold but would be very difficult to access as it would require travelling over the powderkegs in the magazine. The beer rations are closely controlled by the captain, with rations being added or withdrawn to reward or punish the crew accordingly.

22. Magazine. This large storage unit holds stacks of powderkegs which reach from the floor of the ship's hold to a ledge in the magazine room on the orlop deck. If the cannons are needed, crew members will begin frantically drawing powderkegs out of this store and distributing them among the cannons.

23. Orlop Deck. This deck holds various ropes, spare sails, benches, spare timbers and other large materials needed for the operation of this vessel. Its 30 hammocks berth up to 60 of the ship's crew through hotracking over the crew's two shifts. Two marines are always posted at the door to the Magazine, and keep a close eye on anyone who enters the ship's hold.

24. Workshop. This room on the orlop deck stores a variety of tools, acts as a pantry for the kitchen, and has a large fixed table. The table is used for any of the ship's needs, including the repair of sails, carpentry, and occasionally surgery. Two hammocks in this room berth the following two figures:

The Boatswain, a standing officer who supervises and represents the crew.

The Carpenter, a standing officer who has responsibility over the ship's physical integrity.

25. Ship's Hold. The base of this ship is lined with gravel which acts as a bilge (a trap for the water which makes its way below deck) ensures the ship does not become top heavy and helps nest the barrels and crates stored here into position. The ship's hold is filled with cargo as well as many of the ship's necessities. Layabouts can often be found shirking their duties in the ship's hold.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 27, 2020

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Baku posted:

I think it's entirely possible they'll revisit a 2E-era setting at some point, but I agree in that I'd expect it to be one of the ones with a bigger fanbase or better hook (Planescape? Spelljammer? Birthright? Kind of, uhh, all of them). I know both new and old players who want all those things; you're the first person I've seen mention Council of Wyrms basically since it came out.

There is precisely zero chance that they will ever do Birthright again (don't get me wrong, I love Birthright, but there is no way whatsoever).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

why wouldn’t wotc want to have a campaign setting that mirrors dynastic rule and obsesses over pedigree

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, they kinda missed the window for that when Game of Thrones slipped on a banana peel directly into a brick wall and everyone stopped giving a poo poo about it, but uhh... yeah

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Unless I'm missing something, the "you can use these class features a number of times equal to your proficiency, then you can start using Ki instead" is new to any Monk subclass right?

Monk still needs a lot of help but that's a good start.
Huh, that's both a neat use of an existing metric (proficiency) and if added into the base monk would actually address one of the biggest issues with the class. Did they hire someone new?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Guys I'm not sure my DM knows how to tune combat because we're level 4 and this dude attacks three times for 7d6+4 per hit.

The other scary guy attacks with two swords and has an aura that causes slashing damage vulnerability.

Plus two spellcaster minions.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Deuce posted:

Guys I'm not sure my DM knows how to tune combat because we're level 4 and this dude attacks three times for 7d6+4 per hit.

The other scary guy attacks with two swords and has an aura that causes slashing damage vulnerability.

Holy poo poo how was there not a TPK there?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Love the ship diagrams and write up. Definitely using some of those plans for a game I’m going to run. Awesome stuff.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Deuce posted:

lol that sounds like something i would do to like level 20 pcs

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Baku posted:

Yeah, if they did Council of Wyrms before the likes of Planescape or Dark Sun I think the entire fanbase would rise up in revolt. I'm still holding out hope that one day Wizards will actually acknowledge that Mystara existed.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

change my name posted:

The middle 2021 MTG release is a full-on Forgotten Realms set (replacing Core 2022) and accompanying supplement book, so probably not Tarkir

this was news to me so i looked into it

and uh it'll be the 88th MtG expansion

probly just a coincidence

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I have an idea for a different ship but I don't know if it's dumb. An airship that's a wooden gondola lifted by several fire elemental powered hot air balloons. The ship is moved by having a crew ride ahead on brooms and plant immovable rods in the sky which link to ropes that the deck hands tug to gain momentum.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I have an idea for a different ship but I don't know if it's dumb. An airship that's a wooden gondola lifted by several fire elemental powered hot air balloons. The ship is moved by having a crew ride ahead on brooms and plant immovable rods in the sky which link to ropes that the crew tugs through the ship to propel it.

Why not just have the brooms pull it? Air has way less resistance than water

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

I have an idea for a different ship but I don't know if it's dumb. An airship that's a wooden gondola lifted by several fire elemental powered hot air balloons. The ship is moved by having a crew ride ahead on brooms and plant immovable rods in the sky which link to ropes that the crew tugs through the ship to propel it.

If you're going to have harnessed fire elementals and immovable rods, I feel like you can also have ballistae ridden by, like, kobolds, which launch the immovable rods out. The kobold activates the rod when they're far enough out, then they hang suspended from the rod (the kobold has a little flight harness which is securely connected to the rod and the gondola) while the gondola winches itself in, retrieve the rod and kobold, and repeat.

Like, you really need to be angling for an aesthetic that's "I can see the logic here, and yet this makes no sense whatsoever."

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The ship isn't touching the water, it's up in the air suspended by hot air balloons.

One person rides ahead on a broom to plant an immovable rod in the sky with a rope trailing back to the deck of the ship which is in the sky. The twenty or so people on the deck then grab that rope and heave.

Why not have the brooms pull? I just don't see them having the same force as an army of deck hands. I feel like the airship would end up tugging the broom riders if the wind picks up.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 27, 2020

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Why even bother with the brooms? If you have an immovable rod, you can use it like an oar, only instead of anchoring it into the water, you're anchoring it into nothing at all. Once the rod is anchored into the air, the oarsmen can "pull" on the bar as if they were rowing with oars, and push the boat as they attempt to pull the rod back. Set the rod, pull the rod, unset the rod, and push it forward, and repeat ad infinitum. If you only have a few rods per vessel, then you could attach the rod to a free-moving contraption so all the oarsmen are rowing on one linked rowing machine or something.

Edit: I just noticed that an Immovable Rod has a load limit of only 8,000 lb., which is not very much compared to the tonnage of a sailing ship, so you'd probably need a bunch if you want to use them for anything.

lightrook fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Why have a group of deck hands activate the rods? Launch them by crossbows and activate them via mage hand. Or make them part of a flying waterwheel with a series of rods, with only one set of rods activated at a time. The hot air that lifts the ship can also move the wheel of rods.