Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Whoa whoa whoa you don't reference multiple passages at once, that's crazy. Every individual snippet in isolation is the way to truly understand the word of god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean another possible humorous interpretation would be is that Saul is just incredibly annoying. The next few verses have Peter going around and doing basically the same thing in slightly different Jewish communities, but everyone likes him and no attempted murder is to be had.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dragonlance is really just Tolkien by way of Midwestern Mormons. It might not be overtly Mormon, say to the degree of the original Battlestar Galactica was, but it is definitely informed by it and the history of Krynn shares some similarities to the Book of Mormon. It's not a 1 for 1 or something on par with Narnia but it's an undeniable aspect of the setting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LatwPIAT posted:

I suspect they take literally anything put in the antagonistic position in the Bible and make it evil-aligned. Some Hellenistic Jews throwing stones at some righteous person or whatever? Now there's a card called Hellenistic Jews that's evil-aligned.
The Samaritan card must be a trip

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I know most of them live in Israel, but it must suck for any Samaritan who lives in Christian influenced parts of the world where they are exclusively known for the saying.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Halloween Jack posted:

This was featured in the first issue of Inquest I ever bought. I've never been able to find a scan of it.

I really regret tossing my Inquest magazines lo those many years ago. I bought an issue that would have been one of the earlier issues I would have had at the nerd tat store yesterday and while it was pretty dumb, it was still fun to look through something I loved so much as a kid.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
There's someone in the MTG thread who has been scanning old gaming magazines for archival. You could probably ask there.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
well poo poo

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean another possible humorous interpretation would be is that Saul is just incredibly annoying. The next few verses have Peter going around and doing basically the same thing in slightly different Jewish communities, but everyone likes him and no attempted murder is to be had.

The idea that Paul (nee Saul) was a weirdo with gigantic hangups that he never got over is honestly pretty well represented in mainstream Christian thought.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Finally caught up with like a week's worth of discussion.
What's this about Dragonlance and Mormonism? Did the author's religion influence his book of fantasy dragons so much?

On top of what some others have said, Tracy Hickman's religious convictions are also the reason Kender exist, to be an "acceptable" choice for the party thief outside of an evil game. There's also something uncomfortable about gully dwarves (which are traditionally noted as coming from the mixing of tinker gnomes and dwarves) being the mentally stunted, semi-feral creatures they are in relation to the historical (ie prior to 2013) attitude of Mormonism to miscegenation and interracial marriage, but it's not clear if that's intentional or not.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's also something uncomfortable about gully dwarves (which are traditionally noted as coming from the mixing of tinker gnomes and dwarves) being the mentally stunted, semi-feral creatures they are in relation to the historical (ie prior to 2013) attitude of Mormonism to miscegenation and interracial marriage, but it's not clear if that's intentional or not.

although this is ironically blunted by them being arguably the least annoying short people race in the game because the other options are particularly generic dwarves, self-gaslighting thieves, and assholes who make dangerous exploding machines all the time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

The idea that Paul (nee Saul) was a weirdo with gigantic hangups that he never got over is honestly pretty well represented in mainstream Christian thought.
I mean I personally subscribe to it. I just don't think him being annoying is the mainstream view on why so many people wanted to kill him.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'm not super familiar with the tenets of Mormonism but I don't understand how the kender constitute a good aligned alternative to the traditional rogue. Is it because they're not aware of what they do? Something about the intent behind the action, maybe?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm not super familiar with the tenets of Mormonism but I don't understand how the kender constitute a good aligned alternative to the traditional rogue. Is it because they're not aware of what they do? Something about the intent behind the action, maybe?

I see the whole "Hickman's Mormonism inspired him to create Kender" but I never see any primary sources, so I chalk it up more to scuttlebutt than more blatant inferences such as Goldmoon's hair and skin color. Yes I know that Christianity says that theft is wrong, but in terms of sinning in fiction doesn't rate that much worse than other non-sexual crimes in Dragonlance and Mormon fiction to the point that they'd censor it like they do mentions of sex. It may very easily be just Hickman's personal reservations on the issue, religion or no. Like how some people may view drug-dealing as a greater evil than murder and theft, or infidelity to be as bad as murder, and some may be less willing to occupy the headspace of such a character in an elfgame.

Speaking of which, Dragonlance is pretty raunchy as far as Mormon-influenced fiction goes, so I take it that Hickman was more candid than other LDS authors out there.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 26, 2020

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Libertad! posted:

I see the whole "Hickman's Mormonism inspired him to create Kender" but I never see any primary sources, so I chalk it up more to scuttlebutt than more blatant inferences such as Goldmoon's hair and skin color. Yes I know that Christianity says that theft is wrong, but in terms of sinning in fiction doesn't rate that much worse than other non-sexual crimes in Dragonlance and Mormon fiction to the point that they'd censor it like they do mentions of sex. It may very easily be just Hickman's personal reservations on the issue, religion or no. Like how some people may view drug-dealing as a greater evil than murder and theft, or infidelity to be as bad as murder, and some may be less willing to occupy the headspace of such a character in an elfgame.

I wouldn't know Mormon theology if I fell over it - but Kender more strike me as a case of bad RP sucking than anything specifically to do with the Mormons. They're absolutely tailor made for that jerk who thinks that it's funny to steal from the party to be given excuses for doing so - and to such a precise level that I don't think there can be a second motivation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

neonchameleon posted:

I wouldn't know Mormon theology if I fell over it - but Kender more strike me as a case of bad RP sucking than anything specifically to do with the Mormons. They're absolutely tailor made for that jerk who thinks that it's funny to steal from the party to be given excuses for doing so - and to such a precise level that I don't think there can be a second motivation.
Imagine if the canon description of Kenku was two pages of "Bring a soundboard entirely of Monty Python quotes!"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Libertad! posted:

Speaking of which, Dragonlance is pretty raunchy as far as Mormon-influenced fiction goes, so I take it that Hickman was more candid than other LDS authors out there.

You can find the explanation with citations on the Kender's Wikipedia page:

quote:

The original concept of the kender held that they were "savage, warrior children, ever curious, ever alert."[3] This concept was altered dramatically when Janet Pack became involved in dramatic readings of the works, as Pack's personal characteristics had a strong impact on how those involved in the process viewed the kender. According to Jeff Grubb, she, "and as a result all kender since her, was cute. Extremely cute. Sweetly, lovably, frustratingly cute.... And it's hard, after seeing Janet play Tas, to imagine them any other way."[3] Two of the other key characteristics of kender—their curiosity and kleptomania—were introduced by Hickman.[4][8] Hickman was uncomfortable with the notion of a "race of thieves" in his games, but still wanted the skills typically associated with thieves, so he added their "innocent tendency to 'borrow' things for indeterminate periods of time."[3]

I suppose it doesn't explicitly say it was due to his faith, like he might have objected to stereotyping an entire race as thieves or been uncomfortable on other grounds? But obviously in the long run they're still a race of thieves, just ones who lack any malicious or wicked intent in constantly pocketing objects. So it looks like the act of intentional theft itself was what bothered him, even though he wanted the thieving skills available in the game.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 26, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ITT more thought being put into kender than was ever by their creators

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Sodomy Hussein posted:

ITT more thought being put into kender than was ever by their creators

Right? I always wonder about fiction settings that grow out of tabletop RPGs (Dragonlance, obviously, but also things like Leviathan's Wake, etc.), because entire empires are created out of one off-the-cuff comment about why somebody's character isn't wearing pants.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Other races could take the thief class in Dragonlance, right? No one was forcing them to create a race that made sense as thieves?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

theironjef posted:

Other races could take the thief class in Dragonlance, right? No one was forcing them to create a race that made sense as thieves?

Yet another reason why racial stat adjustments are an awful idea: they gave us kender

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As with many things, the best version of "race" (god I loving hate using that word) was in house-ruled DTAS 4e so far as D&D goes because with the ability score bullshit management gone, all it meant was that you got a power that was trying to be evocative of your background. Elves are good shots so they get a bonus to accuracy, dwarves are hardy so they can use healing surges easier, eladrin are weird so they can teleport a little bit kind of like cats, etc. The implementation wasn't always great and there are some groaners in there, and this specifies having already house-ruled the game, but the foundations are there for something cool and interesting : if we must have mechanical differentiation of various fantasy species, then it being cool powers rather than "better at lifting heavy things and also ugly" is a better choice.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

theironjef posted:

You're coming at this backwards, I think. The issue as I understand it was that thieves were seen as a pretty necessary part of an adventuring party, and Hickman was uncomfortable with what he perceived as the game saying "one of you has to play an explicit criminal in order to have the skills the party needs to survive the dungeon," and so created kender as a way for characters to have the necessary thief skills without having to be explicit criminals.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I also thought Kender were an effort to something with the "short sub-race of inoffensive yet dextrous people" archetype that weren't just Hobbits with the serial numbers filed off.

A lot of Dragonlance's distinctive features were efforts to add a little spin to standard D&D setting elements. Like having the magic be tied to the moons (and to alignment), or having the currency be "steel pieces" and not "gold pieces", or not having any orcs in the setting (they were replaced by Draconians).

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Warthur posted:

Apparently the "We will approve no drafts" thing - they quote exact wording in the complaint - was made in a group call which had PRH representatives attending, so there's a third party witness involved too.

Which doesn't mean that they are not deliberately misinterpreting WotC here, but if that's the case then a) they'd be lying about the exact wording which really isn't amenable to that interpretation and b) there's someone who could easily clarify. So if it's a lie, it's a really goofy lie to tell which, in order for them to get away with, would require PRH to be willing to perjure themselves for Weis and Hickman's benefit.

I feel like the only remotely plausible interpretation of this other than WotC is about to get lawfucked is if the conversation went something like:

WotC Lawyer: we find your [really offensive in a modern context] idea really problematic and you need to rewrite the draft

H&W: that idea is too core to the entire outline you already approved and it's equivalent to rejecting the entire idea, we're happy to tweak bits but we won't change the core story that you already approved and we wrote XX thousand words for

WotC: in that case we will approve no further drafts

I'll be curious to see what WotC comes back with because if the H&W presentation is correct then it's a really flagrant breach of contract while trying to be cute about it in ways judges really don't appreciate.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It'll be a month or three before we see any Answer filed, though.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Notahippie posted:

I feel like the only remotely plausible interpretation of this other than WotC is about to get lawfucked is if the conversation went something like:

WotC Lawyer: we find your [really offensive in a modern context] idea really problematic and you need to rewrite the draft

H&W: that idea is too core to the entire outline you already approved and it's equivalent to rejecting the entire idea, we're happy to tweak bits but we won't change the core story that you already approved and we wrote XX thousand words for

WotC: in that case we will approve no further drafts
That's possible. I think Wizards could still lose even in that scenario if the court rules that if they'd approved that element in the outlines, and made no objections to it when they were requesting rewrites earlier, suddenly turning around and going "Nah" at that late stage was unreasonable, especially when the contract apparently (at least according to the submission) includes a specific process for requesting changes to drafts which Weis and Hickman were apparently happy to go along with.

It'd certainly raise the questions of "Why wasn't this listed among the previous requested changes?", and "Why drop this on Weis and Hickman in the middle of a meeting with PRH, rather than using the agreed processfor raising this sort of issue?", but I think it'd at least be a case where Wizards' backs weren't completely up against the wall.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mors Rattus posted:

It'll be a month or three before we see any Answer filed, though.

WotC actually has thirty days since the initial filing to respond because it a summons to court was included, iirc. We’ll be seeing it soonish

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nuns with Guns posted:

You can find the explanation with citations on the Kender's Wikipedia page:

I suppose it doesn't explicitly say it was due to his faith, like he might have objected to stereotyping an entire race as thieves or been uncomfortable on other grounds? But obviously in the long run they're still a race of thieves, just ones who lack any malicious or wicked intent in constantly pocketing objects. So it looks like the act of intentional theft itself was what bothered him, even though he wanted the thieving skills available in the game.

Yeah, while I think that the creator's faith potentially informed the creation of Kender in a subtextual way, the Wikipedia article makes it sound like it was much more akin to how writers used to flesh out the Star Wars Expanded Universe back in the 90s: Janet Pack played a character in their home game that everyone liked, so they made an entire race that was nothing but that character (And gave absolutely no consideration as to how that race would look in practical play outside their original group!).

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nuns with Guns posted:

If Kender have no concept of theft or of taking property as bad, why would they learn thief skills like hiding and sneaking?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Because they're small in a big world and people don't like them because of the aforementioned thieving. The real question is why would they learn how to find and disarm traps.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

thetoughestbean posted:

WotC actually has thirty days since the initial filing to respond because it a summons to court was included, iirc. We’ll be seeing it soonish

I’d guess we see a motion to extend first, but I work for an insurance company’s legal section so I may have a skewed view of how often people go with those. I know the lawyers here file them every dang case, but that may be more that we don’t expect clients to necessarily get back to us immediately.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kwyndig posted:

Because they're small in a big world and people don't like them because of the aforementioned thieving. The real question is why would they learn how to find and disarm traps.
You answered your own question! If I knew there were kender around, I'd put some traps out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Oops."

"Got one."

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Dragonlance is really just Tolkien by way of Midwestern Mormons. It might not be overtly Mormon, say to the degree of the original Battlestar Galactica was, but it is definitely informed by it and the history of Krynn shares some similarities to the Book of Mormon. It's not a 1 for 1 or something on par with Narnia but it's an undeniable aspect of the setting.

Aside from Kendar, Dragonlance is very overtly Mormon.

The first book of the Chronicles trilogy was sort of a D&D retelling of the fall of Christ's Real Church (referred to by Mormons as The Great Apostasy) and the restoration by Joseph Smith.

So you have:
Great Apostasy -> Great Cataclysm
Platinum Disks of Mishakal -> Gold Plates
Riverwind/Goldmoon -> Joseph Smith
Mishakal visiting Goldmoon telling here where to get platinum disks -> Angel Moroni visiting Joseph Smith and telling him where to find gold plates
King Priest of Ishtar -> corrupt Catholic Church

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

You answered your own question! If I knew there were kender around, I'd put some traps out.

And the only chance a kender survives in a party I'm in is if we're using them to detect traps. If they spot the trap before triggering it that just means they are reusable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Kender: Nature's Hirelings

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FMguru posted:

I also thought Kender were an effort to something with the "short sub-race of inoffensive yet dextrous people" archetype that weren't just Hobbits with the serial numbers filed off.

A lot of Dragonlance's distinctive features were efforts to add a little spin to standard D&D setting elements. Like having the magic be tied to the moons (and to alignment), or having the currency be "steel pieces" and not "gold pieces", or not having any orcs in the setting (they were replaced by Draconians).

That was a driving motivation, too, as outlined in the Wikipedia page. Hickman initially ran a series of adventures to explore and play with fantasy tropes, in which one of his friends played a halfling thief with a ring of invisibility, which was pure Hobbit energy. So they were considering various ways to make a non-Hobbit-y halfling but all of their suggestions still seemed to twig peoples' Hobbit sensors until the very unique uh... qualities of the Kender were cemented.

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, while I think that the creator's faith potentially informed the creation of Kender in a subtextual way, the Wikipedia article makes it sound like it was much more akin to how writers used to flesh out the Star Wars Expanded Universe back in the 90s: Janet Pack played a character in their home game that everyone liked, so they made an entire race that was nothing but that character (And gave absolutely no consideration as to how that race would look in practical play outside their original group!).

Even in other adventuring groups, a Kender in a group doesn't really play any less obnoxiously than the pathological stealer types you see across D&D games. At worst, they're easily distracted by shiny things and prone to other twee-but-grating quirks, but they won't knife you in the back or make off with the treasure and leave you to die. Like you say, they really are just an entire race of That Character, and it's a character everyone agrees nowadays is only juuust above a destructive munchkin or catpiss man at the table as far as attention grabby-ness and proclivity to unfunny antics. They're a race built on 3 jokes, which I guess is 2 (no more than 2) than the Gully Dwarves have.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 27, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I understand your point and agree but want to add "qualities".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kwyndig posted:

Because they have an obsession with getting in places, and culturally view locks and traps as just people making getting into their houses to visit more fun.

I wish I was joking.