Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bregor posted:

That was a fun game and we got Captain Crotch Chop so it’s all good

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1320565686863826944?s=21

to be fair they were the target audience when DX was relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GalacticAcid posted:

For years there have been way more dead weight tanking AL teams than NL, what the gently caress are you smoking

People think NL team records being clustered towards the middle means that all the 90 win teams are terrible, instead of that the 80 win teams are pretty good. Meanwhile in the AL, half the league is actively in the middle of a rebuild and the same people think teams that beat up on the tigers, royals, (pre-2020) White Sox, Orioles, rangers, and mariners are better

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

GalacticAcid posted:

For years there have been way more dead weight tanking AL teams than NL, what the gently caress are you smoking

Plus it ignores the first half of the post which is that, you know, he has been good this postseason.

Of course there is no need to rehash this conversation since it has been exhausted and we all know where it lands. Kershaw has been significantly worse in the postseason. But also if the bullpen didn't constantly implode behind him, his ERA drops like .40 points, which incidentally is right around his postseason FIP (and that is about that far above his xFIP though I know xFIP has problems) which is itself not great but is a far cry from the disaster people act like he has been.

God I hope he gets a ring.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Weird how the dodgers are going to win it all when the other team isn't cheating

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
p sure the Nats didn't cheat but if I'm proven wrong I'd be happy to fling it in their faces

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Cheaters can't throw mud at other cheaters

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Metapod posted:

Cheaters can't throw mud at other cheaters

Intruder was the man banging the cans this whole time I guess

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

p sure the Nats didn't cheat but if I'm proven wrong I'd be happy to fling it in their faces
no that one was Dave trying too hard to script a counter-narrative for Kershaw instead of just letting Kolarek destroy Soto as he already had done thrice in that series

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The one thing we absolutely know for sure is that it wasn't the players' fault.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The one thing we absolutely know for sure is that it wasn't the players' fault.

Dave Roberts told Clayton Kershaw to get shook by a dinger and serve up an absolute meatball of a slider one pitch later

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is there like some prerequisite amount of anger and bile I'm supposed to direct at the Dodgers players before its ok to discuss other factors which also conjure memories of pain and disappointment?

We spent pretty much the entire NLCS doing the Dodgers equivalent of cubsposting but that's not enough for some people I guess.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/aubrey_huff/status/1320505902277947392

I know we don't really bother paying attention to Huff these days but imagine believing this

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Intruder posted:

I know we don't really bother paying attention to Huff these days

We should keep it that way

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bregor posted:

We should keep it that way

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I dunno I found something funny about the dude seeing boat parades and thinking yes, this means California is going to flip red

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
dumb idiots’ terrible politics hot takes should be in C-SPAM whoever came up with them imo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

I dunno I found something funny about the dude seeing boat parades and thinking yes, this means California is going to flip red
Trump thinks the same

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A palate cleanser: Clayton’s 5 year old daughter told him last night she’s proud of him

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1320735937597505541?s=21

:3: :glomp:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ok I'm now pro-Dodgers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I think we can all agree that this series is effectively over, the dodgers have them right where they want them and there is no way they can blow it with weird bullpen decisions.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If the Dodgers blow game 6 there will surely be bullpen decisions people tear their hair out about, but imo it's on the offense. Either the Dodgers lineup puts up another 8+ and makes the pitching moot, or we're in for a game 7.

Can they adjust to Snell like they did with Fried in the NLCS?

Of course now that I've posted this they'll lose 12-10 or something.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only two ways this series can end are the Dodgers winning it all tomorrow, or Roberts putting in Kershaw on short rest for the Game 7 save and him blowing it. I refuse the possibility of any other timelines.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I believe in the dodgers

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://theathletic.com/2160374/2020/10/26/mlb-owners-lay-off-hundreds-as-revenues-plummet-drastically-changing-the-sport/

As the World Series finishes and a new wave of COVID-19 cases arrive, Major League Baseball owners this month have combined to lay off hundreds of people across different club departments, portending an offseason that will forever change the sport. Already, the layoffs have threatened the livelihood of scores of people who work behind the scenes.

Executives say some positions will never return in the same numbers, particularly in traditional scouting, because they expect operations can survive, and even thrive, with a reduction. In scouting, that means an expanded use of video is coming.

“Owners are being incredibly shortsighted,” said one scout who was recently let go. “At the expense of saving a few hundred thousand dollars short-term they are risking making multi-million dollar mistakes by not adequately covering leagues, teams, organizations, and by eliminating some of the most proven talent evaluators in the game.”

Some owners were already plowing toward new cost-efficiency goals prior to COVID-19, and now others are likely to follow suit.

“There’s been a lot of discussion about a lot of owners, team presidents, vice presidents, like, we can’t believe how fat we got,” one executive said.

“I think there’s a real split between baseball-side leaders and business-side leaders,” said another decision-maker. “Where business-side leaders see the baseball side as an expense, and then when you win, they share the glory, but when you lose it’s your fault and in the meantime, it’s just an expense. I think they see the proliferation of jobs on the baseball side as largely unnecessary.”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

hiring more financial analysts to tell me which baseball analysts I can fire because I'm a smart business man

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

bewbies posted:

“I think there’s a real split between baseball-side leaders and business-side leaders,” said another decision-maker. “Where business-side leaders see the baseball side as an expense, and then when you win, they share the glory, but when you lose it’s your fault and in the meantime, it’s just an expense. I think they see the proliferation of jobs on the baseball side as largely unnecessary.”

read: baseball owners wish to extract maximum profit while putting no effort into growing the sport.

see also: parasites.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 26, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
it sort of reminds me of the hollowing-out/businessization of the aerospace industry.

"hey, we can cut lots of these 'airplane engineer' jobs!" (releases 737MAX)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
2021: "Why do we even need front offices? We'll just have one guy who manages and scouts and drafts!"
2023: "Why do we even need players? We can just broadcast The Show simulations on the video boards!"
2026: "Why do we even need visual simulations? Let's just release a spreadsheet each year that shows the simulated results of the simulated season!"
2030: "Why doesn't anybody watch read baseball anymore? Must be the youth: quick, let's find ways to reduce the length of the simulation reports!"

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Baseball owners are even bigger pieces of poo poo than Bezos IMO.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bees x1000 posted:

read: baseball owners wish to extract maximum profit while putting no effort into growing the sport.

see also: parasites.

Can't wait for The Takes about the payroll disparity between LAD and TB when this is all over. "If only we had more money," cries Tampa's multi-millionaire owners.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One of the reasons I'm pulling for the Dodgers is because I loving know that if TB wins, within the week we'll get to hear Manfred say some variant of "Well one of the lowest payroll teams in baseball just beat one of the highest payroll teams in baseball to win the World Series, more proof that payroll doesn't actually correlate to success." :smug:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1320793911481122823?s=19

👏👏👏

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

One of the reasons I'm pulling for the Dodgers is because I loving know that if TB wins, within the week we'll get to hear Manfred say some variant of "Well one of the lowest payroll teams in baseball just beat one of the highest payroll teams in baseball to win the World Series, more proof that payroll doesn't actually correlate to success." :smug:
This is not actually a narrative Manfred wants to push. Saying that money buys titles gives fuel for the "we need a hard salary cap" fire.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Metapod posted:

Weird how the dodgers are going to win it all when the other team isn't cheating
https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/1320709290097840128

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/maddelucchi/status/1320788859668496384

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

This is not actually a narrative Manfred wants to push. Saying that money buys titles gives fuel for the "we need a hard salary cap" fire.

He's already pushed it in the past:

https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/1318190781023309824

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

https://twitter.com/baseballdoesnt/status/1320528604854427649

He did the same thing to Muncy in game 4 too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I noticed that last night when they were showing the replay and was pretty shocked that Smoltz didn't say anything about it

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I noticed that last night when they were showing the replay and was pretty shocked that Smoltz didn't say anything about it

(It's a mug full of Smoltz's tears.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

We got Joe Buck to acknowledge the Astros cheating, so one step at a time I guess