Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Smythe posted:

is this like actually true? it sounds insane to me. but... well..

It’s true. The Force, the Jedi, all of it. It’s all true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ok basically last year when rumblings of AB5 first took off Postmates took a full page add in the LA Times saying "These 1,600 drivers want to remain independent contractors" with their full names printed below. Some of the people on that list noticed that they didn't agree to appear in an advertisement and raised a stink about it.

A Postmates PR person said "Lol read your employment contract, we own the right to sign your name to anything" :smuggo:

https://splinternews.com/postmates-workers-say-they-werent-told-their-names-woul-1837307986

unreal man. fuckion wild & terrible

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ok basically last year when rumblings of AB5 first took off Postmates took a full page add in the LA Times saying "These 1,600 drivers want to remain independent contractors" with their full names printed below. Some of the people on that list noticed that they didn't agree to appear in an advertisement and raised a stink about it.

A Postmates PR person said "Lol read your employment contract, we own the right to sign your name to anything" :smuggo:

https://splinternews.com/postmates-workers-say-they-werent-told-their-names-woul-1837307986

So not true at all then? That article says Postmates stuck a 'Would you like to sign our anti AB5 petition?" nag in their app, people clicked it (probably) to just make it go away, then Postmates took out an ad saying "these people signed our petition". That's not at all 'we own the right to sign your name to anything'

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Kinkade fire was caused by a line that was only for a geothermal power plant decomissioned in 2001. PG&E just never bothered taking it down. Or even deenergizing it. Cal Fire is recommending that PG&E face felony charges. Again. I'm sure being a felon another half dozen times over will teach that corporate charter a lesson.

lmao

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sadly we are too civilized to put the page board on the wall

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Papercut posted:

I was going through my ballot last night and came to this proposition and still can't get over how ridiculous this whole system is

What's even funnier to me is that proposition was put onto the ballot by all 11 supervisors, if you have that kind of unanimous support for the changes you want to make to the city tax structure, why does it need to go to the ballot why can't the legislators do it.

I really don't understand why changes to the city tax structure that are supported by every single supervisor can't be made without a charter amendment ballot proposition, it's stupid. 9 of the 11 supervisors wrote and co-sponsored it, all 11 of them were in support of it, and it's gotta go to the ballot? Why did we elect legislators if they can't make these legislative decisions?

fermun fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 25, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Foxfire_ posted:

So not true at all then? That article says Postmates stuck a 'Would you like to sign our anti AB5 petition?" nag in their app, people clicked it (probably) to just make it go away, then Postmates took out an ad saying "these people signed our petition". That's not at all 'we own the right to sign your name to anything'

I’ll take distinction without a difference for $500 please Alex.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

negativeneil posted:

Sorry thread, can someone help me understand prop 19? It's confusing as gently caress. My gut tells me "over 55 year olds hold most of the wealth in this state and they don't need any help with tax breaks" but it is awfully complicated. Feels like they grouped people who actually need help (fire victims, disabled) with those who don't.

Gimme shelter did a reasonable analysis on it.

Take away is that the prop closes a good loophole at the cost of giving a benefit to a big interest group (real estate agents) and possibly could exacerbate existing racial wealth inequities since it helps the boomers (yet again!) who are very white and very wealthy. Could anything better have been passed is an open question because the proposition system basically requires either an eccentric billionaire or a motivated wealthy interest.

e: the fire victims thing is a canard intended to wrap the whole thing in feel-goods. The number of impacted/benefited people would be infinitesimal

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 25, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

fermun posted:

What's even funnier to me is that proposition was put onto the ballot by all 11 supervisors, if you have that kind of unanimous support for the changes you want to make to the city tax structure, why does it need to go to the ballot why can't the legislators do it.

I really don't understand why changes to the city tax structure that are supported by every single supervisor can't be made without a charter amendment ballot proposition, it's stupid. 9 of the 11 supervisors wrote and co-sponsored it, all 11 of them were in support of it, and it's gotta go to the ballot? Why did we elect legislators if they can't make these legislative decisions?
The answer is that it's required by the charter (or by state law) to put any tax increase up to the voters. That's not something they can change - it requires a new proposition to do so.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Smythe posted:

is this like actually true? it sounds insane to me. but... well..

Every time they want to take a ride there’s a pop-up “do you want to support prop 22?” and they have to hit no every single time, or they can just hit yes once and it goes away. That’s how they’re getting these overwhelming support numbers.

E: should have refreshed

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 25, 2020

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

ShadowHawk posted:

The answer is that it's required by the charter (or by state law) to put any tax increase up to the voters. That's not something they can change - it requires a new proposition to do so.
I'm assuming this is true. If it's not required by city charter or whatever, then it's basically a display of extreme cowardice (which would not surprise me in the very least).

Edit: I guess the statute/constitution does tie the hands of local governments raising taxes too, starting with Prop 13: https://lao.ca.gov/reports/2014/finance/local-taxes/voter-approval-032014.aspx

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 25, 2020

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

negativeneil posted:

Sorry thread, can someone help me understand prop 19? It's confusing as gently caress. My gut tells me "over 55 year olds hold most of the wealth in this state and they don't need any help with tax breaks" but it is awfully complicated. Feels like they grouped people who actually need help (fire victims, disabled) with those who don't.

Prop 19 is one of those that has some good, some bad. On the good side, it limits vacation/rental homes from claiming the reduced tax assessment, so you don't get wealthy families with five properties paying almost nothing in tax. It also makes their heirs live in the home if they want to inherit the tax break. The bad is that it lets olds transfer their reduced tax assessment to any home (including more expensive homes) which seems like it could be abused pretty easily.

I voted for it because on balance I think it's a net positive. Obviously just getting rid of prop 13 would be a better solution but IMO prop 19 a step in the right direction.

Seph fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 25, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
/\/\/\ Basically what they said.

Reading the text of Prop 19, I'm thinking that this should have been 3 props:
1. Expanding special rules for homeowners who lose their homes to fires.
2. Narrowing special rules for inherited homes.
3. Create fire protection fund.

I don't really like the first item because it seems to me to be a moral hazard. It's rewarding people for buying homes in high-risk areas, when really we should be encouraging people to move out of those areas immediately.

2 and 3 are fine. I'm going to begrudgingly vote for this but I'm concerned that the first item could have some unexpected long-term consequences.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 26, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Except 2 both expands and narrows special rules for property taxes: expands for transferability to other homes for over 55s, and narrows for usage by inheritors. And I'm against the first bit and for the second bit, so it'd still be a mixed-case thing that I struggle to vote for or against.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Good point. Everybody seems to be confused by this prop, there's just too much going on in it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

adoration for none posted:

Good point. Everybody seems to be confused by this prop, there's just too much going on in it.

California.txt

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I voted no on Prop 25, cash bail is bad but it doesn't seem clear that the replacement is any better. The San Jose DSA endorsement guide was very helpful.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 26, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Time to put on a mask and water my loving backyard
Let's get that big earthquake in here too 2020, throw in a meteor carrying an alien plague for kicks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Time to put on a mask and water my loving backyard
Let's get that big earthquake in here too 2020, throw in a meteor carrying an alien plague for kicks.

well about those space rocks...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Asteroid 2018VP1 is very small, approx. 6.5 feet, and poses no threat to Earth! It currently has a 0.41% chance of entering our planet’s atmosphere, but if it did, it would disintegrate due to its extremely small size.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Asteroid 2018VP1 is very small, approx. 6.5 feet, and poses no threat to Earth! It currently has a 0.41% chance of entering our planet’s atmosphere, but if it did, it would disintegrate due to its extremely small size.

I thought 3.5' was considered very small? This is concerning...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is how I feel about half the props ever. If I can't understand what the gently caress you're trying to accomplish, you get a no.

It's like all the local Roseville measures. I have absolutely NO loving clue what half of them mean, even after reading them 2-3 times. Good grief.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Orange County is on fire, so that PUMPKIN SPICE SKY will happen in Pomona again, lmao. Orange County is continuing to be lovely.

Edit: Ash is already starting to fall hahahaha

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

/\/\/\ Basically what they said.

Reading the text of Prop 19, I'm thinking that this should have been 3 props:
1. Expanding special rules for homeowners who lose their homes to fires.
2. Narrowing special rules for inherited homes.
3. Create fire protection fund.

I don't really like the first item because it seems to me to be a moral hazard. It's rewarding people for buying homes in high-risk areas, when really we should be encouraging people to move out of those areas immediately.

2 and 3 are fine. I'm going to begrudgingly vote for this but I'm concerned that the first item could have some unexpected long-term consequences.

The fire stuff is pretty much secondary, there for "flavor." The thrust of Prop 19 is about the inheritance and transfer rules. Vote based on those (I voted for it because it's anticipated to increase the tax base somewhat even though it sort of sucks).

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The evacuation line for this fire is like 1 mile from my suburban house, this isn't loving around.

Cool of PG&E and SCE to tag-team on starting this wildfire though. For-profit utilities are such a cool public good!

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Orange County is on fire, so that PUMPKIN SPICE SKY will happen in Pomona again, lmao. Orange County is continuing to be lovely.

Edit: Ash is already starting to fall hahahaha

It owns that Pomona college is in Claremont

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

The fire stuff is pretty much secondary, there for "flavor." The thrust of Prop 19 is about the inheritance and transfer rules. Vote based on those (I voted for it because it's anticipated to increase the tax base somewhat even though it sort of sucks).

I agree and voted yes because I want to shift more of the tax burden onto property owners, but it’s not even worth getting too into the weeds on this one and prop 24, the privacy prop, where it’s needlessly complicated, there’s no consensus on what it will do exactly, and it is unlikely to have any meaningful effect on the lives of anyone voting for it.

Prop 22 Delenda est, but some of these props are just exhausting and barely worth the time to fill in the bubble.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1321152223015940096?s=21

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Prop 19 is exclusively backed by the Realtors Association which was enough to make me vote against it.

As Vox Nihili said, the fire fund is just added in there so the headline says "boring confusing tax stuff and also FIRE PREPAREDNESS FUND" as a cynical ploy to try and get it passed

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 27, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
California Politics Thread: We regret to inform you the algorithm is racist and on fire

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I’m likely voting no in19. Increasing the tax base is good, but giving yet another giveaway to boomer homeowners is bad. And the only way it really increases tax rates is on the heirs if they don’t live in the place. So they’d pay fair taxes if they rented out the place, but not if they lived in it, and older homeowners get transfer their absurdly low rates elsewhere.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ballot harvesting is legal in CA and campaigns can do it if they follow the law. But the dropboxes that were set up didn't follow the law.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Presumably only Trump voters will drop off at the Trump Store, and they’re sealed anyway, so probably okay if they’re signing off. I’d expect the Trump Store employers are making sure that they rack up all of the Trump votes in a blue state.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The North Tower posted:

Presumably only Trump voters will drop off at the Trump Store, and they’re sealed anyway, so probably okay if they’re signing off. I’d expect the Trump Store employers are making sure that they rack up all of the Trump votes in a blue state.

It’s so they can feed them into the machine at 8 pm on Nov 3 for a Trump landslide surprise

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sydin posted:

California Politics Thread: We regret to inform you the algorithm is racist and on fire

Mods, do the needful

Alec Eiffel posted:

It owns that Pomona college is in Claremont

I am 4~ miles away from a mandatory evac zone from the Blue Ridge Fire. Smoke was so thick yesterday I couldn't see the trees across the street from my house. :suicide:

Edit:
I am not worried about the Blue Ridge Fire hitting my home. What I AM worried about is if a sudden gust of wind decides to blow north and land some hot embers right on top of the sage-brush filled hill that's a football field away from my house.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Mods, do the needful

I am 4~ miles away from a mandatory evac zone from the Blue Ridge Fire. Smoke was so thick yesterday I couldn't see the trees across the street from my house. :suicide:

Edit:
I am not worried about the Blue Ridge Fire hitting my home. What I AM worried about is if a sudden gust of wind decides to blow north and land some hot embers right on top of the sage-brush filled hill that's a football field away from my house.

I am in Claremont (lol) and it’s a lil nasty here

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

still fucks me up that there's two cities named Claremont and Montclair and they're right next to each other

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FCKGW posted:

still fucks me up that there's two cities named Claremont and Montclair and they're right next to each other

Just to make it even more confusing there's a big neighborhood in San Diego also named Claremont.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just to make it even more confusing there's a big neighborhood in San Diego also named Claremont.

.....I did not realize there was a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

FCKGW posted:

When heading north make sure you don't confuse Eureka with Yreka or you're in for an unplanned 4 hour drive