Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

quote:

Police are probing the collision, which resulted in the rider being taken to hospital clutching an injured left arm.

Sir Keir, 58, exchanged insurance details with the cyclist before leaving him in the care of paramedics.

By the time two police cars arrived at the scene in Kentish Town, North West London, on Sunday lunchtime Sir Keir had left.

Cops later left a message at his nearby home asking him to report to a police station. Sir Keir, a former Director of Public Prosecutions, said he attended a police station that day and is believed to have given a full statement about the crash.

He is said to have been driving an SUV when it was in collision with the cyclist outside a pub.

Bizarrely, The Sun pictured Sir Keir outside Kentish Town Police Station yesterday morning but he later claimed he had been on a trip to “his tailors”.

Police — who have not named Sir Keir because he hasn’t been charged with any offence — confirmed that the driver had left the scene by the time officers arrived.

The Met said: “Police were alerted by LAS at around 12.20hrs on Sunday to a report of a road traffic collision between a cyclist and car in Grafton Road, NW5.

“The driver of the car had stopped at the scene and exchanged details with the cyclist but had left before officers arrived.

“The male cyclist received a minor injury to his arm and was taken to hospital by LAS as a precaution.

“Officers later attempted to contact the driver of the car and left a message advising him to report the matter to police.

“The driver of the car subsequently attended a North London police station. He was not arrested or interviewed under caution.

“An investigation into the collision is ongoing.”

Retired Met detective chief inspector Mick Neville said: “Although there is no suggestion at the moment any offences were committed in this incident, motorists can be charged over non-fatal collisions with dangerous driving, which carries a maximum punishment of two years imprisonment.

“There is an alternative charge of driving without due care and attention which is dealt with by way of a fine and points.”

Sir Steer Calmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why he'd already got Corbyn's job?

lol

OwlFancier posted:

If he has to step down because he ran someone over that's the stupidest loving outcome for 2020.

Starmer as 2020 narrative B-story is that he emerges and then never really goes away? He's the Lovecraftian concept of an Extra Thing, grotesque but familiar, the awful ornate clock that ticks in human screams but your family swears they hear it normal. Is he the PM? Is he not? No-one really knows and you're forgetting the before. He is the Starmer and he is the landscape

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Of course he drives a loving wankermobile SUV too.

SUVs these days are actually very working class because you can buy them on 25 year hire purchase agreements for like 20 quid a week

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

cyclist probably was a dole bludging foreigner who came here explicitly to commit insurance scams, pension fraud and benefit stealing crimes, so kier was actually being an english patriot for running him over. also kier was wearing a poppy at the time and cyclist was that so it's clear the illegal scrounger hates britain and its troops too.

lol if you think the Tory press are going to pass up any chance to monster a Labour leader

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

SUVs these days are actually very working class because you can buy them on 25 year hire purchase agreements for like 20 quid a week

They may or may not be working class but they are still for wankers.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

lol if you think the Tory press are going to pass up any chance to monster a Labour leader

they can already print stories about :

1. how he alledgedly let saville off the hook.
2. loves terrorists because he wants to stop them being sent to death camps overseas.

I don't think they need much else

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

They may or may not be working class but they are still for wankers.

Why?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Likes to run over cyclists is probably more effective at demoralizing the labour base, however, so you should definitely go with that.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

SUVs are huge, obnoxious, fuel inefficient and kill the occupants of the other car in a collision because they weigh like twice as much as a normal car.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was it a Chairman Mao-style bicycle?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Probably signalled left but turned right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

SUVs are huge, obnoxious, fuel inefficient and kill the occupants of the other car in a collision because they weigh like twice as much as a normal car.

Also they are very unpleasant to drive in front of because the headlights are much further off the ground and blind the driver in front, and also nobody driving one can keep proper intervals.

sebzilla posted:

Probably signalled left but turned right.

:lmao:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

huger than what? Why are they obnoxious. The Tesla model X is more fuel efficient than any ICE car.

Small Sized Cars(eg Nissan Micra): 1200kg
Midsized Cars (eg Audi A4): 1600kg
Large Sized Cars (eg Audi A8): 2000kg
Small Trucks/SUV (eg Kia Soul): 1500kg
Midsized Trucks/SUV's (eg Nissan Navara): 2400kg

So yes at the absolute extreme an SUV can weigh twice as much as the smallest cars but that ignores like every other car and theres more to car safety than how much the car weighs. buses weigh quite a lot.

Its just lazy nonsense.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Drone_Fragger posted:

2. loves terrorists because he wants to stop them being sent to death camps overseas.

Perhaps a bit close to point 1, but don't forget Rotherham grooming gangs, which can and often are blamed on Ser Keer by the loonies

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Drone_Fragger posted:

I read a study a long time ago about how when asked people will claim all sorts of reasons for wanting to purchase a car, but the most common reason anyone drives an SUV when they are truly honest, like if they are told their answer will be anonymous, is because they like being higher up in traffic seating position wise. Odd thing to be insecure about liking to admit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

willie_dee posted:

I read a study a long time ago about how when asked people will claim all sorts of reasons for wanting to purchase a car, but the most common reason anyone drives an SUV when they are truly honest, like if they are told their answer will be anonymous, is because they like being higher up in traffic seating position wise. Odd thing to be insecure about liking to admit.

My mother says that but she's also a wanker so I don't think I believe her. Also I can't say I've ever wanted to be taller when driving. Also you can't just keep making cars bigger so people can be taller, just make every car the same height.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

just make every car the same height.

This is communism.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

what exactly about the last decade makes you think any newspaper editor in this country has ever said "no we've got enough on the Leader of the Opposition, we don't need to print this"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Julio Cruz posted:

what exactly about the last decade makes you think any newspaper editor in this country has ever said "no we've got enough on the Leader of the Opposition, we don't need to print this"

Starmer is the post-Corbynism Sensible-Pair-Of-Hands Labour leader, he's going to get a cushy ride because the long term maintainment of the status quo requires him to be more electorally successful than Corbyn. Establishment media will be illogically nice about him unless he gives signs of rocking the boat, which he won't.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Starmer is the post-Corbynism Sensible-Pair-Of-Hands Labour leader, he's going to get a cushy ride because ...

No he's going to get a cushy ride cos he's got a lovely boring mid range SUV.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
CANYONEEERRROOOO

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Steer Harmer.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re Tiktok, Chinese boomers have discovered it in the same way ours discovered Facebook and it’s freaking the gently caress out of their kids, who are demanding the government Does Something About It:

http://www.sixthtone.com/news/1006348

E: The People’s Daily (which is the newspaper of record here) warned that “on short-video platforms, elderly users tend to be most interested in superstitious fortunetelling and feel-good “Chicken Soup for the Soul”-style stories and philosophy. Meanwhile, dubiously effective [healthy living] tips, as well as fake products and “investment opportunities,” have also been known to expressly target elderly audiences.”

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 27, 2020

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Oh ho ho, I bet no-one's posted "Steer Karma" yet...

Aw, gently caress.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Thread! I've got an SUV opinion!

They suck! They're the ASDA smart price scary creature shaped spicy flavoured maize snacks of cars.

You don't live up a mountain! most of them aren't even 4 wheel drive! They all look the same and they're a waste of space.

people only want to be high up to see over all the other lovely SUVs on the road.

They're a capitalist plot to sell you more metal, and if you don't buy one someone else who will kill you with it, so cough up!

drive all the SUVs into the sea.

Thank you for listening to my opinion.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

My parents were getting a new car couple months back and said they wanted something smaller, so we talked about a few suggestions for small cars I had.

They ended up only looking at SUVs and buying one. "Smaller" indeed :lmao:

Something something boomer brain.

Well at least they are incredibly happy with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are you supposed to "see over" anyway? You can't see over a car from another car because that's how cars work, they are taller than the people inside them. If you're taller than the vehicle you're driving then that's a motorbike or you're driving something from the 1930's.

How do you handle vans? Or buses? Or any of the other things you might encounter on the road?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wonder if we could still get a clean sweep.

The book that dance was based on came out in 2013. Of the 20 countries the UK had never gone to war in, one was Mali.

Looks like someone in government must have read it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51699107

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Maaaaaan if you think SUVs are bad in the UK never ever move to North America. Everybody has these loving enormous trucks with 5.0L engines and the loving front grille is 6ft tall.

Utterly insane. And they're always loving empty, just one dude with a 4-seater long cab whatever the gently caress with a pickup bed that won't even hold a 4x8' ply board, that must weigh about 3 tons.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

OwlFancier posted:

What are you supposed to "see over" anyway? You can't see over a car from another car because that's how cars work, they are taller than the people inside them. If you're taller than the vehicle you're driving then that's a motorbike or you're driving something from the 1930's.

How do you handle vans? Or buses? Or any of the other things you might encounter on the road?

Go sit in a Range Rover and notice how high up you are in the car itself, you can see over every other hatchback and saloon car with ease. Because of the weight the cars feel more comfortable than rattle prone light hatchbacks on very cheap lightly loaded suspension, and they are giving them away on finance trapping people into a cycle of never owning a car but constantly trading them in, because of all the weight they are very prone to wear, and after 4 or 5 years become uneconomical to own, and what do you know, if you trade it in your dealer will give you a shiny new one with a new plate for only an extra £50 a month on your monthlies (don't look at the overall cost of paying for the car though because then you'll realise you are getting a poo poo, slow, under powered yet fuel drinking poverty spec 20 plate car that retails at £22k for £36k in total)

To be fair, its how people buy cars now. Rather than looking at the cost of a car, they look at the monthly payment like its a mobile phone. And manufacturers like KIA and Hyundai offer some great "deals" on cars that are new, and have all the previous generation tech people who are used to buying second hand cars would never thought they could have on a brand new car, and they come with massive warranties, but you are then trapped in one finance wise.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I genuinely wonder who buys new cars. Cars from the past 10 years are pretty reliable and super cheap in this country, you can get something completely serviceable for £2000 that'll last you 5 years+ that works out at £35 a month, even if you spend double that repairing it that's still a quarter of the price of even the cheapest POS new car AND you get to keep it.

They depreciate so fast you're a big dummy if you buy new.

Insurance is the expensive part.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Butternubs posted:

I genuinely wonder who buys new cars. Cars from the past 10 years are pretty reliable and super cheap in this country, you can get something completely serviceable for £2000 that'll last you 5 years+ that works out at £35 a month, even if you spend double that repairing it that's still a quarter of the price of even the cheapest POS new car AND you get to keep it.

They depreciate so fast you're a big dummy if you buy new.

Insurance is the expensive part.

But what will the neighbours think?!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My decade and a half old SUV weighs 1300kg and I guess now counts a small-medium car. The fuel efficiency is bad though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume someone has to buy new cars for there to be old cars for normal people to buy.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

My decade and a half old SUV weighs 1300kg and I guess now counts a small-medium car. The fuel efficiency is bad though.

That is very light in the grand scheme of things, my 2 seater GT car weighs that much.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah the average age of car I've bought is something like 10 years I think. They've cost me anywhere from £500-£3000 and they typically last at least 2-3 years before getting scrapped. I think it's the cheapest way to do it.

I've had the most success with VWs/Audis with 100-130,000 miles on them. They're solidly-built in the first place so the mileage isn't too much of an issue, but they're still sold relatively cheaply at that age and mileage. The parts are a bit more expensive than for a Ford Fiesta but if you use third party parts and get them done at not-Audi garages they're not significantly more to maintain.

As to who buys new cars: Old people. Genuinely. You might think that the top buyers of say, a VW Golf GTI is a young boy racer but I think it's actually middle-aged women.

My wife's Mum and Dad separately bought brand new cars. They made some justification about how they "needed something newer" and "Oh it works out cheaper actually" but again they've absolutely just looked at the monthly £2-300 or whatever and don't think about the thousands of pounds they'll be throwing away on interest or losing in depreciation over the first year.

E: Oh yeah and lots of new cars are bought as company cars, rentals etc. which get sold on after they're a few years old.

EE:

Some of this is actually quite interesting:

https://www.racfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/car-ownership-in-great-britain-leibling-171008-report.pdf

quote:

In the first nine years of the vehicle’s life, the only scrappage that occurs results
from write-off accidents. Thereafter there is a steady increase in scrappage till a
peak is reached at around 14 years. By 20 years most cars have been scrapped,
the remainder being kept as classic cars.

Although arithmetically, an increase in the car parc equals new car registrations
less scrappage, in practice scrapped cars are very rarely replaced by new cars.
Vehicles slightly younger than the one scrapped normally replace them. The
slightly younger car is in turn replaced by an even younger car and so on up the
age chain of the vehicles so that the new car actually replaces a three year old car
which is traded in usually on the basis of age but also on mileage. Used car sales
are three times greater than new car sales.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 27, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Everything about cars makes me so grateful that I live in a big city and don't need one. I used to have to drive to commute and I remember the countless wasted hours grinding along through the congestion. When you walk or cycle, there's no such thing as a traffic jam :eng101:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally the only reason i have a car is because bus services are crap to non existent for where I need to go a lot of the time.

I hate using the drat thing. I much prefer the bus, I just don't particularly like spending hours every day waiting for it.

But yeah it's a pain in the arse, and you have to find somewhere to store the loving thing when you get anywhere.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

huger than what? Why are they obnoxious. The Tesla model X is more fuel efficient than any ICE car.

Small Sized Cars(eg Nissan Micra): 1200kg
Midsized Cars (eg Audi A4): 1600kg
Large Sized Cars (eg Audi A8): 2000kg
Small Trucks/SUV (eg Kia Soul): 1500kg
Midsized Trucks/SUV's (eg Nissan Navara): 2400kg

So yes at the absolute extreme an SUV can weigh twice as much as the smallest cars but that ignores like every other car and theres more to car safety than how much the car weighs. buses weigh quite a lot.

Its just lazy nonsense.

I'm very confused by this post. You seem irritated at the suggestion that suvs are bigger than other cars and up to twice as heavy, so to refute this you ... post a list showing that suvs are bigger and up to twice as heavy as other cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

Oh ho ho, I bet no-one's posted "Steer Karma" yet...

Aw, gently caress.
When that clip of the goon on question time was around the autocaptioning called him 'Car Steamer' and I think about that a lot.