Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Superman killing him but in a fun way with levity would also be acceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

multijoe posted:

Oh yeah if after they landed Zod was already dead from the impact and Superman was like "Zod, more like Clod" people would have loved it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

A complaint that got aired a lot about him killing Zod was that Superman should have found a "third way" and it's like, yeah, that mindset's worked out great for us.

Similarly, that Batman shouldn't have fought the black ops when saving Martha since he ought to be completely non-violent now that he made good with Superman.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

*cripples Zod and leaves him to a mob for the Gaddafi treatment*

"He's all yours" and blast off.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I guess I get where people are coming from with the Zod thing, because the idea of Superman for a long time was that he was literally the best possible person who could ever exist, and the inspirational thing to do would be to like, prove that he's Superman by turning Zod good so he just flies away or something.

On the other hand, this can come across as "unrealistic" in that there's no way to take anything from it into the real world. Like, All-Star Superman has one issue that's directly referenced by "we could have built a new Krypton in this squalor" where evil Kryptonians show up and they say that to Superman before beating him up. Then they just drop dead, because they accidentally got poisoned before the story even began, and Superman is inspiring by being kind to them as they die. But what if they didn't die? How was he going to stop them? The story even asks this in an earlier issue when someone says "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?" Well, what happens when someone who is morally good meets someone who can only be beaten by doing the morally bad thing of killing them? Who can't just be liberalled away? More to the point, why is allowing Lex to be executed by the government better than killing him directly? In the 1978 movie why does Superman say he's "on the same team" as the prison guards? Why is the idea of him taking on elected officials treated as a joke? How many diamond thieves have caused more suffering than George W Bush? Killing Zod asks what does it even mean to be good? You're in a room with a man who wants to kill a family, you can't talk him out of it and you can't McGuyver a solution out of cat fur and loose wires, and the writer has not arranged it so that he will simply have a heart attack without your input. What would Superman do in that situation?

It calls back to Watchmen, where a powerful man decides to prevent human extinction by killing millions of people to unite the survivors. Superman realises what Veidt didn't: that people aren't just dying, they're being killed. Nuclear war wasn't spontaneously going to happen just because a sufficiently large number of people experienced negative emotions, nuclear war was going to happen because a small number of people were capable of making it happen. Superman saves the human race from annihilation by killing the one person who was going to cause it. That's not bad going. Luke Skywalker had to blow up a whole Death Star.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

multijoe posted:

Isn't this Superman 2?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Superman should have gotten Zod to chase him then flown around the Earth so fast he goes back in time and flings to Zod into his ship as it gets sucked into the Phantom Zone, then said "Zod had a powerful offense but it was no match for my Zone defense"

Either that or Yajirobe cut off Zods tail

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like this is a bit exaggerated. Obviously Spider-Man and X-Men were juggernauts, but Iron Man was a pretty big character by 2008. If Marvel Comics from 2006-2009 had a main character, it would be Tony Stark. And I know comics nothing compared to film audiences, but the late 2000s was the age of prestige event comics like Civil War that had heavy press.
People cared about Iron Man because of RDJ's performance. General audiences don't care any more about Civil War than they do about Infinite Crisis or any of those other crimes against art.

2house2fly posted:

It calls back to Watchmen, where a powerful man decides to prevent human extinction by killing millions of people to unite the survivors.
Not really, no. He engineered a world-historical atrocity to make an incredible amount of money and feel really, really good about himself.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 26, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I guess I get where people are coming from with the Zod thing, because the idea of Superman for a long time was that he was literally the best possible person who could ever exist, and the inspirational thing to do would be to like, prove that he's Superman by turning Zod good so he just flies away or something.

On the other hand, this can come across as "unrealistic" in that there's no way to take anything from it into the real world. Like, All-Star Superman has one issue that's directly referenced by "we could have built a new Krypton in this squalor" where evil Kryptonians show up and they say that to Superman before beating him up. Then they just drop dead, because they accidentally got poisoned before the story even began, and Superman is inspiring by being kind to them as they die. But what if they didn't die? How was he going to stop them? The story even asks this in an earlier issue when someone says "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?" Well, what happens when someone who is morally good meets someone who can only be beaten by doing the morally bad thing of killing them? Who can't just be liberalled away? More to the point, why is allowing Lex to be executed by the government better than killing him directly? In the 1978 movie why does Superman say he's "on the same team" as the prison guards? Why is the idea of him taking on elected officials treated as a joke? How many diamond thieves have caused more suffering than George W Bush? Killing Zod asks what does it even mean to be good? You're in a room with a man who wants to kill a family, you can't talk him out of it and you can't McGuyver a solution out of cat fur and loose wires, and the writer has not arranged it so that he will simply have a heart attack without your input. What would Superman do in that situation?

It calls back to Watchmen, where a powerful man decides to prevent human extinction by killing millions of people to unite the survivors. Superman realises what Veidt didn't: that people aren't just dying, they're being killed. Nuclear war wasn't spontaneously going to happen just because a sufficiently large number of people experienced negative emotions, nuclear war was going to happen because a small number of people were capable of making it happen. Superman saves the human race from annihilation by killing the one person who was going to cause it. That's not bad going. Luke Skywalker had to blow up a whole Death Star.

This is a really good post

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

Well, what happens when someone who is morally good meets someone who can only be beaten by doing the morally bad thing of killing them? Who can't just be liberalled away?

Hm.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 26, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Halloween Jack posted:

Not really, no. He engineered a world-historical atrocity to make an incredible amount of money and feel really, really good about himself.

Both are true. Veidt "solved" the problem in a way that made him a bunch of money. Don't need to worry about other people's lives when they ain't yours!!!!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

...who's gonna tell him?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...you haven't seen Spartacus? yeah Manu Bennett hangs dong multiple times, dude's hung like a loving elephant

show also loving owns harder than just about any other TV show in existence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzqVtghSHFA

I thought that was a prop dick.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oscar Isaac is Moonknight in the Disney + show.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

PriorMarcus posted:

Oscar Isaac is Moonknight in the Disney + show.

Like...money is good yeah but I’m surprised he even wanted to touch a comic project or such after Star Wars and Apocalypse

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm assuming that, if you're someone who takes acting seriously as a craft, you hear the words "Moon Knight" and you immediately say yes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gatts posted:

Like...money is good yeah but I’m surprised he even wanted to touch a comic project or such after Star Wars and Apocalypse

Oscar Isaacaine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gatts posted:

Yeah, I thought he was asked if he would ever work with Disney again, and he very very quickly said, "No." So this is kind of surprising. But then again, work is work, and I can't fault a man for taking work with what will soon be the only entertainment company.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm assuming that, if you're someone who takes acting seriously as a craft, you hear the words "Moon Knight" and you immediately say yes.

Moon Knight has incredible potential, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Darren Aronofsky's Moon Knight is something that I would legit go ga-ga for.

Now unfortunately this is Disney, in all likelihood it's going to be a pale shadow of what it could be (pun/metaphor completely intended there) but who knows?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's a pretty deep well of interesting Moon Knight material if they lean into his being mentally ill rather than playing the "Egyptian god powers" thing straight. Oscar Isaac is usually great in anything he touches so I'd be willing to check it out for him if nothing else.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's a pretty deep well of interesting Moon Knight material if they lean into his being mentally ill rather than playing the "Egyptian god powers" thing straight. Oscar Isaac is usually great in anything he touches so I'd be willing to check it out for him if nothing else.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought that was a prop dick.

I've heard it was his actual dick at least once and a prop dick at least once, but I'm not sure which specific scenes are which, and his dick does noticeably change appearance between the two times I remember specifically. Regardless, thing hangs down to his loving knee both times.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My main concern with a Moon Knight show is if it will be as badly shot and edited as Defenders.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Either that or Yajirobe cut off Zods tail

I think its a weird omission that Dragon Ball Z never ever references Raditz again. He's Goku's actual brother! I mean he's basically Zod.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I've heard it was his actual dick at least once and a prop dick at least once, but I'm not sure which specific scenes are which, and his dick does noticeably change appearance between the two times I remember specifically. Regardless, thing hangs down to his loving knee both times.

Hmmmm...tell me more about this dick and let’s analyze the footage to deduce what dickery is going on

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

TELL ME ABOUT MEL GIBSON'S DICK AND BALLS

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A friend who worked as a compositor swore she did her best work adjusting something about the bodily dimensions of a high-profile male actor and was furious they'd made her sign an NDA so it couldn't go in her showreel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They can't all be Oscar-worthy performances.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I thought he was asked if he would ever work with Disney again, and he very very quickly said, "No." So this is kind of surprising. But then again, work is work, and I can't fault a man for taking work with what will soon be the only entertainment company.

Maybe there's some other stakes we're not privy to though where he's not necessarily flying around having to suck the Disney's/Star Wars' dick at various press events for years straight and that kind of thing. Or maybe he signed on to play Moon Knight like three years ago and he is done with Disney but everything he's doing for them is just now catching up to the point where audiences are aware of it and it's actually getting made.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 26, 2020

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Aren't all of his performances Oscar-worthy?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Aren't all of his performances Oscar-worthy?

I'd imagine being in some of these roles would make anyone think Isaac.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Schwarzwald posted:

Similarly, that Batman shouldn't have fought the black ops when saving Martha since he ought to be completely non-violent now that he made good with Superman.

Good point; and it remains incomprehensible to me that people so inculcated by the morality of particular comic book media have deemed this aspect a plot-hole. Children being fed fairy tales literally have a better sense of justified use of deadly force than this.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'll support just about anything that gets us a Moon Knight series or film.

ESPECIALLY if they get really violent with it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing it's normally Metallo or a rogue Superman robot that's DC's go-to Terminator impersonator.

Kinda disappointing they haven't done Metallo yet, he's a simple concept but a fun one that'd fit right in; a Kryptonite powered cyborg, maybe made as a knockoff of Cyborg, designed specifically to kill Superman but powerful enough to be a threat to everyone else too, there you go. Also he's a dumb brute with a massive grudge.

I'd prefer the John Corben mercernary version where he's maimed until being rebuilt with metal and Kryptonite. Maybe have him be a victim of the end of the Man of Steel catalycism. Give him a personality and a real grudge, and maybe have Batman realize where his paranoia and hatred could take him.

Also the cartoon gave him a cool Australian accent

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Which cartoon? Malcolm McDowell is as English as you can normally get.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Which cartoon? Malcolm McDowell is as English as you can normally get.

lol you're right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnBUebT6nw

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The endpoint of this twisted line of logic is clearly that Leonidas should be in Mortal Kombat.

You say that like it's wrong or something.

josh04 posted:

Ridiculous to suggest that the film would have dared leave out this central aspect of the classic character, Iron Man:

:allears:
More characters should have roller skates.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

There is a CGI dick in the first season, on a gaul who's only in that one episode. It's CGI because they also wanted it to be cut off at the end of the episode.

Spartacus is a really hosed up show. It's great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drat, it's easy to forget how much the DCAU got away with.

Also the little things, like Superman's heat vision sputtering for a second as he's recovering from the Kryptonite.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

josh04 posted:

A friend who worked as a compositor swore she did her best work adjusting something about the bodily dimensions of a high-profile male actor and was furious they'd made her sign an NDA so it couldn't go in her showreel.

Brandon Routh's bulge was apparently digitally reduced for Superman Returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brandon Routh: Please keep my massive hog a secret, no one can know