Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

You stupid monkey!

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

drat I had it down for more pages before a voronoi showed up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:nms::nms:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Cool, another thread I have to remove. Stop posting someone who will probably never loving walk again in a way that the app will auto-inline

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Sentient Data posted:

Cool, another thread I have to remove. Stop posting someone who will probably never loving walk again in a way that the app will auto-inline

The Awful App just shows a black bar spoiler for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

:nms:

:nms:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Propaganda Hour posted:

The Awful App just shows a black bar spoiler for me.

same. sometimes :nms: means :nms:

edit: ^^^ :nms: doesn't do anything for images you embed normally. oughta spoiler, even if you link it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
:nws: :nms: :nms: :nws:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That isn't even a Simpsons meme, it's a Futurama meme. Reported, motherfucker!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you are technically correct

the best kind of correct

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Does anyone else find Futurama kind-of cringe now? Some of the jokes stand up but no one really goes to it for meme content the way might have thought years ago.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Does anyone else find Futurama kind-of cringe now? Some of the jokes stand up but no one really goes to it for meme content the way might have thought years ago.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just finished rewatching the whole thing last week. The original series had some more boomer humor than I remember, and it was amazing how much of the reboot stuff I plain forgot.

Remember the episode with Zoidberg's girlfriend? How about Bender entering a tap dancing contest? That was the same episode!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Broadly yeah it hasn't aged amazingly but "I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing" just made me laugh hard enough to spill coffee on myself so who can really say

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Quick thread we can escape from this derail by opening this meme pipe.

No good, It's full of meme!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

xtal posted:

That isn't even a Simpsons meme, it's a Futurama meme. Reported, motherfucker!

It's also just lazy and not even really a joke. It's the Futurama equivalent of Hamilton posting

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

mind the walrus posted:

Eh I still like Futurama but its not as ingrained in my brain as The Simpsons is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The best moments of Futurama are as good as most of what the Simpsons did, but Futurama never had episodes that were on par with the golden age of the Simpsons.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The one with the bees is the one I remember as being almost as good as Golden Age Simpsons because it was largely a straightforward sci-fi story instead of trying to clear the high bar of sci-fi + comedy. The one where they all get de-aged is up there as well; again Futurama was better to me when it was just trying to be sci-fi with occasional jokes and a comedy cast. Some would cite the dead dog episode or the episode where Leela finds her parents as on par with Golden Age Simpsons, but I respectfully think they're dead wrong. Those episodes are far from bad, but they kind-of go for the cheapest below-the-belt emotional shots. They really can't compare to Homer's Mom, "Do it for Her," or Mr. Bergstrom. Maybe that's an unfair comparison, but I think it's fair enough.

The less said about the revival episodes the better.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Amazon Women in the Mood comes close to the jokes per minute that Golden Age Simpsons had. Just joke after joke after joke.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Futurama also didn't have the benefit of being on twice a day in reruns after school, so it's not nearly as quotable.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The one with the time machine that only goes forward in time is the one I remember as the best sci-fi Futurama ep but I don't remember whether it was a revival episode or not and don't wanna get in a fight

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Futurama Opera episode and when Fry becomes his own grandfather. It's been a long time though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

Amazon Women in the Mood comes close to the jokes per minute that Golden Age Simpsons had. Just joke after joke after joke.
Honestly I never liked that one as much as others. But that's purely a "different strokes" thing. I wouldn't fight someone on saying they like it as much as Golden Age Simpsons, but it's nowhere near that bar for me. I find the gender jokes hack-y and the "snu snu" stuff can go die in a fire.

Goodpancakes posted:

Futurama Opera episode and when Fry becomes his own grandfather. It's been a long time though.
Yeah the Roswell one is pretty good but the Opera one is just ok imo.

IUG posted:

Futurama also didn't have the benefit of being on twice a day in reruns after school, so it's not nearly as quotable.
I don't think those two correlate. In many ways it's an unfair comparison because even at the time The Simpsons had an absolute murder's row of some of the best working comic writers in the entire business. Futurama definitely did not.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

According to this official Comedy Central Tumblr post from 2013, every episode named so far is on the officially-voted top ten list

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Top 10 relative to other Futurama episodes, but we're measuring long-term cultural impact. We've around 1,000 pages remixing primarily 7-8 years of a show from a quarter century ago. All I was supposing is that Futurama has objectively turned out to have less impact than one might have thought back in the 00s.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I love futurama but it's best content is short individual jokes or concepts like hedonismbot and the professor being essentially a wizard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I love futurama but it's best content is short individual jokes or concepts like hedonismbot and the professor being essentially a wizard.
:agreed:

Yeah pretty much this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

loquacius posted:

The one with the time machine that only goes forward in time is the one I remember as the best sci-fi Futurama ep but I don't remember whether it was a revival episode or not and don't wanna get in a fight

That's The Late Philip J. Fry, and is absolutely a revival episode. It's also the best episode of the entire series, and it's not even close.

The song in the middle is pure gold.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Memento posted:

That's The Late Philip J. Fry, and is absolutely a revival episode. It's also the best episode of the entire series, and it's not even close.

The song in the middle is pure gold.

I swear I just don't see what other people see in that episode. It's not bad by any stretch but it never resonated with me. It felt like a cheap attempt to revisit the same gut-punches as the dog or the orphan parents or the clover, but like I said those were already cheap shots. It's not as bad as the "Hermes was always Benders' 'dad'" twist which can suck a railroad spike, but it's closer than further.

I did forget about Godfellas though. That episode deserved the Emmy.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

mind the walrus posted:

I swear I just don't see what other people see in that episode. It's not bad by any stretch but it never resonated with me. It felt like a cheap attempt to revisit the same gut-punches as the dog or the orphan parents or the clover, but like I said those were already cheap shots. It's not as bad as the "Hermes was always Benders' 'dad'" twist which can suck a railroad spike, but it's closer than further.

I did forget about Godfellas though. That episode deserved the Emmy.

"I was God once, did you see?"
"Yes, you were doing quite well until everyone died"

That episode, jurassic bark, and the opera finale are probably my top 3.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The weakest episodes are definitely from the revival.

-robosexual marriage
-eye phone
-the obama episode

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I also completely forgot about The Farnsworth Parabox until seeing it on The List. Man, that show really did have some cool sci-fi concepts. I should rewatch it.

For all the visual similarity to The Simpsons it really was a completely different kind of show. Classic Simpsons was pretty much all character-driven satire, while Futurama had satirical elements but was generally just comedy-sci-fi played straight and done well.

e: it's late and I want to amend this post to say that Futurama did a LOT of satire but was at its best when it earnestly explored sci-fi concepts, don't @ me

Bootleg Trunks posted:

The weakest episodes are definitely from the revival.

-robosexual marriage
-eye phone
-the obama episode

these ones were quite quite bad though yes

Writing an episode of your show set in the year 3000 where the plot is that the characters use the Internet is a capital-B bad idea and that poo poo should have been left on the cutting room floor. It already felt dated at the time and was clearly going to age poorly.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm a huge sap so I really liked episodes like The Sting even though they usually aren't as quotable. I enjoyed The Late Philip J. Fry but I would not put it at the top.