Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

owls or something posted:

I think mine came with a trial for a few months of extra Google One storage.
Can't be, I'm told ads for other services provided by the same company, for that device, is something only Samsung do.

Twerk from Home posted:

You are making a LOT of compromises to save that $100, especially on screen and camera. If you don't use your phones camera much and don't care about having a nice screen, I guess you might not miss it?
Now that the moto's aren't the only phones in that price space, there's no reason to go for them. Below the 4a, a used/refurbished 3a will be superb bang v buck. If you want new, the Nokia's are great exempting the 7.2 which seems to have never run well.
There's a couple of Samsungs in that bracket if you value screen real-estate and quality above anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Khablam posted:

Can't be, I'm told ads for other services provided by the same company, for that device, is something only Samsung do.

lol

https://twitter.com/robotodd/status/1229768673352724480?s=19

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
What the gently caress is all this, then?

...seriously? I run adblockers on my phone, so I really have no idea.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does Best Buy usually have launch day phones in stock for walk-ins?

I guess the P5 comes out in 2 days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

smoobles posted:

Does Best Buy usually have launch day phones in stock for walk-ins?

I guess the P5 comes out in 2 days.

If I go to Best Buy's website right now, I can still order the phone for in store pickup the 29th.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

bull3964 posted:

If I go to Best Buy's website right now, I can still order the phone for in store pickup the 29th.

I’m stupid and forgot you could buy products for pickup at BB, got my launch day phone and canceled the Google Store order that was arriving in late Nov.

TY goon.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

owls or something posted:

I think mine came with a trial for a few months of extra Google One storage.

Yes! that was it, just dont remember ever being asked about it or activating it. Maybe it's for the best, I really need to get some better cloud storage back ups for my "whole lifetime of art files", in case this compy, my old extrnal hhd, or my external ssd all die

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khablam posted:

Now that the moto's aren't the only phones in that price space, there's no reason to go for them. Below the 4a, a used/refurbished 3a will be superb bang v buck. If you want new, the Nokia's are great exempting the 7.2 which seems to have never run well.
There's a couple of Samsungs in that bracket if you value screen real-estate and quality above anything else.

Is there something particularly bad with this current generation of Moto?

A cursory search has the 5.3 and 6.2 Nokias within the same price range and unless I'm missing something they seem to be worse spec-wise than the Moto?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

DrDork posted:

I'm not running an adblocker and I haven't seen any ads. I've had a few prompts early on for signing up to Samsung accounts or whatever but I just declined and don't see them anymore. In the twitter replies that guy has specifically enabled and opted in to that poo poo, you can turn it off. Still - ewwwww.

EDIT: OK I decided to open the weather app and have a look around, wait for it. LMFAO also you cannot turn this off apparently? I'd never seen it because I don't scroll down this far on the weather app, but wtf. I've checked some other apps and this is the only ad I can find.

What adblocker are you using?

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 27, 2020

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

DrDork posted:

Are you asking for used phone recommendations? Because if so, you can get P3's super cheap (<$150 all day) that would be an ok upgrade, or a P4 for not much more that would be an even nicer upgrade (albeit, they always had kinda poor battery life, and being used ain't gonna help that) if you wanted to stay true to the Pixel line.

Otherwise there's the S10+ or OnePlus 7T that should be pretty cheap now.

This is helpful, thanks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there something particularly bad with this current generation of Moto?

A cursory search has the 5.3 and 6.2 Nokias within the same price range and unless I'm missing something they seem to be worse spec-wise than the Moto?
Their inconsistent-to-non-existent support for the phones was just something you had to accept when they were the only non-chinaphone in town.
Since then, nokia have entered the market with Android One devices and Samsung's A-series have gone from turgid messes to competent budget phones.
Sony have their L4 too, but I think it's in very limited markets.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

salt shakeup posted:

What adblocker are you using?

I use AdGuard. Cost a couple of bucks for a multi-year license, and it runs as an internal VPN so you can't use it and and actual VPN at the same time (which isn't an issue for me because if I'm VPNing back home then everything runs through a PiHole ad blocker anyhow). Might hit the battery some, but if it does it doesn't hit it too badly.

Absolutely blocks the vast, vast majority of ads everywhere, including in-app phone wide, which was a huge selling point for me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anybody else having this really weird bug since upgrading to Android 11 or whatever the new one is? Press on a link to open the share menu, tap on the icon of the app into which you want to share the thing, and instead of the icon you tapped, the link is shared is to the app whose icon was displayed to the right of the one you selected. It's happened dozens of times now so I'm certain I'm not just tapping a pixel to the right of where I think I am; I will note it only happens to me trying to save a link from Flamingo to Pocket cause those are the only apps I really use the share feature with but I would assume the share menu is a system feature so I doubt it's app-specific.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Anybody else having this really weird bug since upgrading to Android 11 or whatever the new one is?

I'm on a P3 XL with 11 and no, that is not happening at all for me when I tried it out in Chrome or QuickPic.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Of all of the loops this thread goes in my favorite is easily the "Samsung used to be bad, sure, but now, today everything is fine," and then someone shows what it's like to have a Samsung and that's the last we hear about Samsung being fine now, today for another year.

Seriously anyone defending this has no credibility.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

DrDork posted:

At least you option to avoid almost all of the Samsung crap. It's even possible to replace the phone and messaging app with the stock Android ones though the phone app requires signing up for the beta program and may not work with all devices.

Having put up with Samsung apps when I got my S8 Active, being able to mostly bypass all the Samsung stuff in my S20+ is a breath of fresh air.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Edward IV posted:

At least you option to avoid almost all of the Samsung crap. It's even possible to replace the phone and messaging app with the stock Android ones though the phone app requires signing up for the beta program and may not work with all devices.

Having put up with Samsung apps when I got my S8 Active, being able to mostly bypass all the Samsung stuff in my S20+ is a breath of fresh air.

That's good to hear, since I'm in the market and trying to decide between a P5 and S20+. I never use default messaging apps to begin with, so I couldn't care less about what Samsung does/does not do there. The dialer I care slightly more about, but I still don't actually place phone calls via dialer all that often to begin with.

Any other ad-related or Samsung "we know better than Google" gotchas worth noting?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

LastInLine posted:

Of all of the loops this thread goes in my favorite is easily the "Samsung used to be bad, sure, but now, today everything is fine," and then someone shows what it's like to have a Samsung and that's the last we hear about Samsung being fine now, today for another year.

Seriously anyone defending this has no credibility.
It's literally nowhere near as bad as that tweet makes out, he has opted in for all those ads. I honestly looked in every single app in that tweet and there's no ads except for one at the bottom of Weather app. I don't even have "Samsung Music"? installed by default.

It's just fine to use for a phone, no cap, but of course I liked the Pixel experience better. I just found the current Pixel offerings underwhelming.

DrDork posted:

That's good to hear, since I'm in the market and trying to decide between a P5 and S20+. I never use default messaging apps to begin with, so I couldn't care less about what Samsung does/does not do there. The dialer I care slightly more about, but I still don't actually place phone calls via dialer all that often to begin with.

Any other ad-related or Samsung "we know better than Google" gotchas worth noting?

You will need to change default assistant, secure password method and browser. Ignore anything Samsung wants you to sign up for. It's jarring at first but fine after that.

Personally I would go look at the phones in a store and decide what you like better. For me the terrible speakers on P5 were a dealbreaker but not everybody cares about that. Also slightly concerned about longevity of the P5s hardware, but it's not slow in general use or anything. Also I got the S20 FE 5G for a steal, if the P5 was cheaper I might have bought it.

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 27, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

salt shakeup posted:

You will need to change default assistant, secure password method and browser. Ignore anything Samsung wants you to sign up for. It's jarring at first but fine after that.

I have literally only ever used Google Assistant to do things like "Google, open Pandora" when I'm driving every now and again, so the assistant can just get deleted for all I care.

What do you mean by secure password method? I use 1password and fingerprint unlock for most things now.

I'd also be using Firefox instead of Chrome, mostly, so probably skipping the default browser issues, too.

I'm not buying anything until I can see a P5 and S20+ side by side (mostly so I can compare the screens since the S20+ being limited to >60hz only when downsampled to 1080p makes me concerned), so I guess I have to wait a few days for the P5's to show up.

With the discounts Verizon is running right now, I should be able to get the P5 or S20+ at basically the same price, so that's not a major driver. I like the "clean" experience of my P3 XL, but it's had multiple bits of hardware fail on me, which doesn't make me too keen on the whole concept of Google doing a "mid-range" phone if they couldn't get the hardware right with the budget of a flagship to play around with.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

DrDork posted:

I have literally only ever used Google Assistant to do things like "Google, open Pandora" when I'm driving every now and again, so the assistant can just get deleted for all I care.

What do you mean by secure password method? I use 1password and fingerprint unlock for most things now.

I'd also be using Firefox instead of Chrome, mostly, so probably skipping the default browser issues, too.

I'm not buying anything until I can see a P5 and S20+ side by side (mostly so I can compare the screens since the S20+ being limited to >60hz only when downsampled to 1080p makes me concerned), so I guess I have to wait a few days for the P5's to show up.

With the discounts Verizon is running right now, I should be able to get the P5 or S20+ at basically the same price, so that's not a major driver. I like the "clean" experience of my P3 XL, but it's had multiple bits of hardware fail on me, which doesn't make me too keen on the whole concept of Google doing a "mid-range" phone if they couldn't get the hardware right with the budget of a flagship to play around with.
OK in that case just install Firefox and 1Password and set them to default.

I would reccomend looking at the S20 FE 5G as it's a great value phone. I'm not experienced with the S20+ and didn't do any research on it.

The clean Pixel experience is great, and Samsung is just "fine". It's definitely a step down, but not that big of one to be honest.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

"It's just fine, so long as you're willing to ignore the stuff to be ignored, opt out of all the stuff to be opted out of, use an alternative message app, dialer, browser, password manager, and assistant, and of course disable all of the stuff that should be disabled, Mom."

If you tell a normal person that you have to change 20 things out of the box so that it's not a shitshow, that person will tell you that no, it's still a shitshow, you just have an unusually high tolerance for poo poo. Don't get me wrong, I understand this is a nerd forum filled to the brim with people who will gladly do all of those things and be happy to do them, myself included, but let's not pretend it's Good, Actually. It's obviously user hostile.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Normal people don't care about this stuff in my experience. However, I agree with you, it's not good that they cram all this junk in and try to sign you up for their own accounts. You can disable/ignore it but you shouldn't have to.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've never seen an ad anywhere outside of the store or wherever. That ad thing is either US only or just fake news.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've never seen an ad anywhere outside of the store or wherever. That ad thing is either US only or just fake news.

I think it's definitely a regional thing.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I'm another guy that got an SE20FE on an insane discount, my last Samsung was an S5. When people say Samsung is "fine" now, I sort of get it. Compared to my last Samsung experience their software has come a long way. I still hate it all, but it's much better than it was. Comparing an android 4.0 phone to now probably isn't a fair though.

That being said, I spent probably 2 hours janitoring this phone and scrubbing it clean of Samsung poo poo. I think it's a pretty nice phone after that work but it wouldn't have been worth it to me if I had to pay anywhere near retail price.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I used to be a Pixel guy but am fully on the Samsung bandwagon now since the software is close enough to Pixel post-One UI and the hardware has been the best for years. :shrug:

Other than the camera of course, Pixel still wins there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been saying "No more Samsung!" since the S3, and have went on to buy the 5, 7 and 20, (and repeated it every time) but I dont see any barrage of ads pretty much anywhere on the current phone, especially not in the phone app. I dont have any kind of extra ad blocking installed

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Samsung has good software now? I probably haven't used one since I picked up a S5 to try out and it was so bizarre. Everything was modified for no reason, I felt like I was using a completely different OS altogether. I always wrote them off because I didn't want to deal with a new learning curve.

After mainly using Google branded phones for the last 10 years, I'm still somewhat ambivalent about the Pixel 5 I ordered. I just can't shake this feeling that I'm 2nd tier. I mean I can understand a lot of the reviewers wanting Google to make a complete iPhone dominator.

But my order says it will be delivered today or tomorrow, but it hasn't even shipped. And then this article perfectly covers all of the issues I've had with the Pixel Buds.

I just really need this phone to be a knockout.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
If you're a Pixel Warrior, you're going to spend a lot of time disabling poo poo trying to make your Galaxy behave like a Pixel. Likewise, if you prefer One UI you'll end up sifting through the Play Store looking for apps that could give your Pixel the functionality of a Samsung. In both cases you'll wind up unhappy because you can never truly turn one into the other.

That's how you end up with stories about how you've got to disable this or ignore that on a Galaxy phone. I simply sign on to my Google and Samsung accounts and I'm pretty much done setting up my phone, because in many cases I prefer the Samsung app to the Google alternative. It's 2020 and at this point it really comes down to preference.

People will often complain that Samsung phones "duplicate" functionality already provided by the Google-mandated apps and I often see, not only in this thread but from many reviews as well that they wish Samsung would just default to the Google apps. Putting aside my preferences for a second, I can see why that is not at all in Samsung's best interest for at least three reasons:

1. Google's bad Korean support. The entire reason Bixby came into being was the fact there was no Korean version of Google Assistant until after Bixby had launched.
2. Google is nonexistent in China. Unless Samsung pulls out of the Chinese market entirely, they need their apps for their phones to function and compete in China.
3. Google is fickle. Somebody up in the thread mentioned they've never seen Samsung Music. That's because Samsung killed that app in favor of making Play Music the official default music app on Galaxy phones. As we know, Play Music got unceremoniously murdered in typical Google fashion this year. Why would Samsung kill their more functional messaging app and let Google handle messaging? Google themselves launch and kill at least 2 messaging apps every year.

I'm a Note guy, while I've played around with the Pixels and find them to be perfectly good phones, it's not enough to entice me away from the line. Just like I know that somebody who's truly happy with their Pixel would nitpick a Note to death.

In short, this discussion will continue to come up in this thread and we'll all continue to make the same exact arguments every time until the murder hornets kill us all.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel that way about LG, so many of their products just seem second rate to me. As far as making an undisputable iphone killer, its not really necessary. Pixel's one big selling point is clean android. How sad it is that that is a selling point, bloatware being the nasty little devil it is. iPhone is kinda like a drag car, but not a drag car fast enough to win. Want to turn? Reverse? gently caress you! You can only go in a straight line, and exactly as we intend you to. Pixel is like a new Corvette. May not be as fast as the drag car, but hey, it can turn! Even has a stereo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm on day 4 or 5 of my first Pixel, and I would believe this 4a costs $700 in terms of value, and I do not regret my purchase at all, but yeah I am missing some Samsung customizable features I had on my S10.

I haven't felt the need to delete any apps or bloatware or anything but taking five minutes to do that on a Samsung was never a big deal anyway. I do feel the lack of options in cases and screen protectors, that's never an issue on better selling phones.

But anyway yeah this is good stuff. Camera is great.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Canada Pixel 5 shipped today!! :dance:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Canada Pixel 5 shipped today!! :dance:

Still waiting on it from Amazon. :( It's REALLY close to shipping...

Also I bit the bullet to see if the green fabric case would come from Google. We'll see...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do those fabric cases really protect the phone at all, or is it basically just to give some lift so that you're not scraping the camera lens every time you put it down? I have a hard time swallowing the idea of $40 for a sock that is elaborately shaped, and little faith in its capabilities

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I have a hard time swallowing the idea of $40 for a sock that is elaborately shaped, and little faith in its capabilities

It's not just fabric; that's just the exterior. It's still got a plastic/rubber 'skeleton', which is what keeps your phone safe from dents.

I have a fabric case for my Pixel 2, and it's a really nice texture. It also did a fine job of keeping my phone from harm.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 27, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.xda-developers.com/pro1-x/

XDA made a phone.

quote:

The full retail price of the Pro1-X is $899. But for the XDA community, there are a limited number of devices available at $639, which is 29% off! If you’re fast enough, we also have a pre-early bird offer for $599, which is a saving of 33%!! To find out more details, head over to our Indiegogo crowdfunding page.

There's 4 $599 ones left.

Sab669 posted:

Do those fabric cases really protect the phone at all, or is it basically just to give some lift so that you're not scraping the camera lens every time you put it down? I have a hard time swallowing the idea of $40 for a sock that is elaborately shaped, and little faith in its capabilities

I got mine for $25 thanks to Google One credit and the $10 thing from a while back if you bought a new Google Chromecast or Nest speaker. I wouldn't pay $40 for it.

That being said, as of Pixel 4a, they're machine washable and seem to be a fabric coated TPU case. So probably just as protective as any other TPU case except you have to wash it at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTXvJF5i5Fk

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
XDA Phone
What's not working? You tell me!

I wonder if it also comes with the bootloader unlocked and secure boot disabled so you have to guess if its been tampered with

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

$899 "MSRP" for a phone in 2020 with a 835 SoC? :stonk:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

But it has a physical keyboard!

Looks like Samsung open sourced the designs of the Epic4G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide