Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fenarisk posted:

One of the things this pandemic has brought to the forefront of America is that people just don't understand what a hobby is. I've encountered a lot of people that have given up on social distancing because they "just need to get out and do something".

We are in an age between online networking and an infinite amount of free resources that someone could pick up any productive and enriching hobby, but it takes time and energy and learning so people just don't.

I wonder if other countries are like this.

Been under lockdown for a couple of weeks now. Fridays and Saturdays evening have been catching up with friends over chat, playing various online games, watching bad b-grade movies, whatever. during weekdays often catch up with friends online to do Yoga/exercise stuff and then talk afterwards. Also had quite a few long phone calls with mates been meaning to catch up with for a while. Would, you know prefer to be seeing them face to face but honestly it hasn't been to rough.

Can't wait to be able to have a trip to the beach or bush again for a bit of swimming and hiking, or see some live music with mates, but never found myself bored, and when ever I felt like talking to someone, at least one of my mates would usually be online.

I can imagine it would be a lot harder for people who can't do video chat/don't have the option to do it regularly. Without the internet the time would of been a hell of a lot harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I hate to be the bringer of bad news. But a lot of hobbies... Well, require other people.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fenarisk posted:

One of the things this pandemic has brought to the forefront of America is that people just don't understand what a hobby is. I've encountered a lot of people that have given up on social distancing because they "just need to get out and do something".

We are in an age between online networking and an infinite amount of free resources that someone could pick up any productive and enriching hobby, but it takes time and energy and learning so people just don't.

I wonder if other countries are like this.

Yeah I also recently realized that massive amounts of time and energy are spent on finding a mate and creating children, as a whole, by society

Not even joking

Hobbies are really the exception, not the rule

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

cross-posting from the C-SPAM thread:

Why are case numbers so high in Switzerland, you ask?

https://www.tagblatt.ch/ostschweiz/...zdem-ld.1271680

quote:

Superspreader wedding in Schwellbrunn - Ausserrhoden Health Director Balmer: "In the worst case, the community could be sealed off".

Appenzell Ausserrhoden has particularly high corona figures and therefore decided on Sunday to introduce stricter corona measures. This negative record is also due to misconduct at a wedding party, as the government's media orientation is said to be one of the reasons.

At a media orientation of the Ausserrhoden government, cantonal doctor Franziska Kluschke comments on the current coronal situation in the canton:

"The situation is getting massively worse. We have five times as many infections per 100,000 inhabitants as Germany".

197 cases have been registered in the last 7 days in the canton of Ausserrhoden, several people have died from the virus.

Guests with corona symptoms at wedding celebrations

In Schwellbrunn there is a particularly high increase in the number of cases. More than 1000 cases per 100,000 inhabitants have been registered there. According to Yves Noël Balmer, Director of Health, misconduct was also detected in Schwellbrunn, which led to a large increase in cases: "A wedding with over 200 guests took place in Schwellbrunn. :siren: Several guests with corona symptoms took part in the event. Distance and hygiene measures were not observed. Although the bridal couple knew about it, they had not contacted us." :siren:

It was only two weeks after the wedding that we learned about it by chance. Balmer says:

"In such a case, we will act blindly with contact tracing."

At least: the bridal couple deeply regretted the incident and showed themselves cooperative after the head of the Department of Health and Social Affairs telephoned the groom. The same evening, the canton received the guest list.

:siren: From the wedding to the Oktoberfest :siren:

Certain guests of the wedding would later have taken part in the Oktoberfest in a Schwellbrunn restaurant and in club activities. "I am annoyed and horrified by this behaviour," says Balmer. Many people would have known about the incident but had not reported it to the canton.

"I have no sympathy if such behaviour will keep us busy for weeks to come and cause us night shifts".

:siren: During this wedding celebration in Schwellbrunn, it was agreed among the guests not to be tested in order to avoid a possible quarantine. :siren: There were also indications that individual employers in Schwellbrunn had encouraged their employees not to report, Balmer told the media. "Such behaviour leaves me angry and horrified. Individual allegations must now be investigated. Balmer said:

"If this irresponsibility finds imitators, our health system will collapse.

Exactly how many people were infected at the two events in Schwellbrunn - the wedding celebrations and the Oktoberfest - cannot be quantified.

However, if the number of cases in Schwellbrunn continues to rise, even more drastic measures are conceivable, according to Balmer. In the worst case, the Hinterland municipality could even be sealed off. "We hope, however, that we can get the situation under control and that this will not be necessary," Balmer emphasised.

But optimism still resonates in the Health Director's remarks. So he says:

"If we all pull together now and stick to the measures, I am confident that we can celebrate a normal Christmas".

Hospitalisations double every week

Basically, some people are loving ASSHOLES who just cannot stop ~living their lives~ and now their communites are absolutely hosed. Great timing on this at least, it's come out before the big presser by the feds on Wednesday so hopefully they just shut everything down and name and shame these pricks and others like them. Oh hahah of course that won't happen because super chud fuckface Ueli Maurer is the loving finance minister (and head of the SVP/UDP fuckbrigade) and he complained at their annual conference that people were being disappeared just for having "wrong opinions" (ie anti-mask protests were being broken up) so you can all look forward to me melting down in two days' time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

greazeball posted:

cross-posting from the C-SPAM thread:

Why are case numbers so high in Switzerland, you ask?

https://www.tagblatt.ch/ostschweiz/...zdem-ld.1271680

Basically, some people are loving ASSHOLES who just cannot stop ~living their lives~ and now their communites are absolutely hosed. Great timing on this at least, it's come out before the big presser by the feds on Wednesday so hopefully they just shut everything down and name and shame these pricks and others like them. Oh hahah of course that won't happen because super chud fuckface Ueli Maurer is the loving finance minister (and head of the SVP/UDP fuckbrigade) and he complained at their annual conference that people were being disappeared just for having "wrong opinions" (ie anti-mask protests were being broken up) so you can all look forward to me melting down in two days' time.

Yeah, this is really incredible. If you want to see more Swiss people being very dumb, come to the Germany discussion thread. As a bonus, you can also see a lot of Germans being very dumb.

We as a species just need to show discipline for (hopefully!) around 18 months to get through this without a ton of unnecessary deaths, but we're just incapable of doing this.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lolled at the "Oktoberfest and club activities"

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
i never understood how abnormal my ability to stay inside for weeks at a time is until now

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm actually not terribly surprised by that news story. I love Switzerland and I love the Swiss people, but as a populace they easily reached American levels in their "I refuse to live any other way than the way I'm used to" energy. This mostly took the form of elderly Swiss not wanting to give citizenship to Muslims who wore sweatpants, or adapt school curriculums to people uncomfortable with swim classes, but I've been kind of waiting for the second shoe to drop as I know this time of year starts to get wild with local festivals and parties in Zurich.

EDIT: But also, LOL, of course it's Appenzell. It's always Appenzell.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 26, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Being a horrible introvert would be much easier living on your own but let me tell you, as someone who has a partner who is not at all an introvert, most of my stress from being cooped up at home has been due to helping her manage her anxiety due to not being able to go places and feeling like we're trapped. I'd happily sit at home and work during the day and play dumb poo poo on the computer at night until they give me the all clear (a year from now, maybe, lol) but I'm not on my own anymore so yeah it's been kind of tough in that regard.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

explosivo posted:

Being a horrible introvert would be much easier living on your own but let me tell you, as someone who has a partner who is not at all an introvert, most of my stress from being cooped up at home has been due to helping her manage her anxiety due to not being able to go places and feeling like we're trapped. I'd happily sit at home and work during the day and play dumb poo poo on the computer at night until they give me the all clear (a year from now, maybe, lol) but I'm not on my own anymore so yeah it's been kind of tough in that regard.

My situation exactly. Not a big deal to me, enormous deal for her.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mithaldu posted:

i never understood how abnormal my ability to stay inside for weeks at a time is until now

Yeah this 'humans are social creatures and intrinsically desire contact' thing rings completely hollow to me. I have never felt that inclination at all. If your natural inclinations and urges as a human being are bothering you then just... Ignore them?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was a shut in hermit for almost two years by choice at first and still I enjoyed seeing people once in a while. Only now did I realize that kind of fascinating duality makes me such a silly weirdo, but also kinda cool and mysterious in my own way.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
some people desire face to face contact, some people :justpost: but that's still a social activity

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Torrannor posted:

We as a species just need to show discipline for (hopefully!) around 18 months to get through this without a ton of unnecessary deaths, but we're just incapable of doing this.

Lol, Americans can't even do 18 days. :patriot:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Annabel Pee posted:

Are there actually places that got rid of the virus and went back to normal? Like New Zealand have they just ran as normal since or do they still have precautions?

nz is effectively back to normal. the govt recommends people mask up when you can't physical distance, but no one does. people have mostly stopped scanning the covid tracer app barcode (required in every business) which is about the lowest effort thing you could possibly do

and then every time there's a scare or community case, half the population freaks out and rushes to get tested

e: apart from the tourism industry, which is utterly hosed

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

CJacobs posted:

Yeah this 'humans are social creatures and intrinsically desire contact' thing rings completely hollow to me. I have never felt that inclination at all. If your natural inclinations and urges as a human being are bothering you then just... Ignore them?

You can only ignore mental distress for so long before it starts to take a toll. Just because you're wired such that not socializing doesn't bother you, that doesn't mean other people can.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

There Bias Two posted:

You can only ignore mental distress for so long before it starts to take a toll. Just because you're wired such that not socializing doesn't bother you, that doesn't mean other people can.

I would say that having so little self control that you go stir crazy even when you can still go outside and see friends in private pretty much safely is more than being 'wired differently'. You're not locked in your house like it's silent hill or something, if you're antsy about a lack of human contact then go somewhere. Go to a friend's house (1 friend). Go to the park or go for a walk. Go anywhere except a restaurant. This notion that you need to go out to a public space to socialize is another hurdle keeping the virus around.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 26, 2020

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

CJacobs posted:

This is a very odd and non-empathetic response to human nature.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mrs. Sexual posted:

This is a very odd and non-empathetic response to human nature.

gently caress you burt

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CJacobs posted:

gently caress you burt

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

CJacobs posted:

I would say that having so little self control that you go stir crazy even when you can still go outside and see friends in private pretty much safely is more than being 'wired differently'. You're not locked in your house like it's silent hill or something, if you're antsy about a lack of human contact then go somewhere. Go to a friend's house (1 friend). Go to the park or go for a walk. Go anywhere except a restaurant. This notion that you need to go out to a public space to socialize is another hurdle keeping the virus around.

What are you talking about? Plenty of us aren't visiting with *anyone* or going *anywhere*. I don't trust anyone I normally socialize with to properly distance themselves from others, and public spaces around here are too full of anti-maskers to be worth risking.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm actually not terribly surprised by that news story. I love Switzerland and I love the Swiss people, but as a populace they easily reached American levels in their "I refuse to live any other way than the way I'm used to" energy. This mostly took the form of elderly Swiss not wanting to give citizenship to Muslims who wore sweatpants, or adapt school curriculums to people uncomfortable with swim classes, but I've been kind of waiting for the second shoe to drop as I know this time of year starts to get wild with local festivals and parties in Zurich.

EDIT: But also, LOL, of course it's Appenzell. It's always Appenzell.

we've finally identified the tennessee of switzerland

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

greazeball posted:

we've finally identified the tennessee of switzerland

In Switzerland the mountain valleys aren't called hollers, they're called yodels

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I concede maybe I'm just not super social face to face. I run my tabeltop game via webcam for friends once a week, two nights a week I have my basement set up like a club and just jam out, and I've started learning music production so everything else in the world is less frustrating in comparison.

But then again I'm at work around 40 hours a week talking to people all day so without that maybe I would go nuts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

how do i socialize w/o bar bwuhhhh duhhhhhh

*ignores an entire world of redditors to share cam pics with*

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

CJacobs posted:

Outdoor socialization isn't an option where I live for most of the year. We're lucky it's above freezing for the time being.

Why do you think it's ok to see that 1 friend? Why is that safe? Why is that the line? How do you know who they have been exposed to?

If you're social distancing you aren't doing that. I see my boyfriend as my sole cohort, but I also do my laundry at his house and that spares me myriad other points of contact vs going to a laundromat. So that's my 1. And through him alone I have at least another dozen points of exposure because of who he's exposed to.

I'm not seeing a friend or seeing my family or going to holiday gatherings or going to be able to celebrate my birthday or Christmas or whatever with anyone. I can't just drop by my sister's place to see her any more, and my sister claims she was "being smart" with only seeing a couple friends outside and had to isolate. I got to see my mom once a few months ago outside for a bit but I can't in good conscience go visit her got the holidays or her birthday or anything like that. And it's not just my mom it's everyone in my life

And it kind of blows

I don't trust people willing to socialize to follow safe approaches because as we should know by reading this thread visiting people indoors is not safe in this pandemic

Fenarisk posted:

I concede maybe I'm just not super social face to face. I run my tabeltop game via webcam for friends once a week, two nights a week I have my basement set up like a club and just jam out, and I've started learning music production so everything else in the world is less frustrating in comparison.

But then again I'm at work around 40 hours a week talking to people all day so without that maybe I would go nuts.
Are you seeing people in person at work?

I didn't realize how much that filled my socialization needs until that was totally gone. Having a few people to chat and smile with every day makes a big difference.

I'm on the phone all day with working from home and it exhausts me to the point I don't want to talk to another soul the whole day despite being lonely as gently caress.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Rat posted:

Are you seeing people in person at work?

I didn't realize how much that filled my socialization needs until that was totally gone. Having a few people to chat and smile with every day makes a big difference.

I'm on the phone all day with working from home and it exhausts me to the point I don't want to talk to another soul the whole day despite being lonely as gently caress.

Yeah I'm in rehab so it's all face to face (mask to mask with goggles actually) one on one with patients plus everyone else working at the hospital.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

The painbox is not going out to eat and goons hold the gomjabar to ur neck and ask if youre an animal or a man

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Rat posted:

Why do you think it's ok to see that 1 friend? Why is that safe? Why is that the line? How do you know who they have been exposed to?

Of course it's not 100% safe, but it's a lot safer than going out in public wholesale and you're saying that being cut off from everyone is taking a large toll on you.

If you and a very limited number of your friends can agree to seeing each other periodically you dramatically reduce your risk of infecting each other because you roll the dice fewer times. It's an increase in that risk, to offset the mental toll you're saying you have from not being able to see anyone. You have to weigh up whether the risk is worth the gain.

This is basically the UK concept of 'support bubbles'. It's an acceptance that some increased spread is on-balance a better trade-off than the mental anguish of complete isolation.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Imagine it like rolling dice.
Every person you meet hands you a 6-sided die. You roll and if you roll a 1 you lose.

You meet one person and they give you 1 die. Well okay let's roll, chances are 1 in 6 but whatever, seems pretty okay right.

But if you meet 5 people you suddenly have 5 dice and you still lose if you roll a single 1.

The odds for rolling a 1 are the same for every die, but would really want to roll 5 or 10 dice instead of just 1?

And that's overly simplified because everyone you meet would have to give you a number of dice based on their exposure risk and the numbers that make you lose go up depending on overall spread of the virus in your area etc.

Don't roll the dice, stay at home and hunker down. It sucks for all of us.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
heck no im going to party hard

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hopper posted:

Every person you meet hands you a 6-sided die. You roll and if you roll a 1 you lose.

You meet one person and they give you 1 die. Well okay let's roll, chances are 1 in 6 but whatever, seems pretty okay right.

But if you meet 5 people you suddenly have 5 dice and you still lose if you roll a single 1.

The odds for rolling a 1 are the same for every die, but would really want to roll 5 or 10 dice instead of just 1?

And that's overly simplified because everyone you meet would have to give you a number of dice based on their exposure risk and the numbers that make you lose go up depending on overall spread of the virus in your area etc.

If the decision is between "go and visit a small group of friends that are also only visiting between the same group of friends", and "go so insane staying home alone that you think a 200-person wedding sounds like a good idea", probably going and hanging out with your friends is the better plan.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Jabor posted:

If the decision is between "go and visit a small group of friends that are also only visiting between the same group of friends", and "go so insane staying home alone that you think a 200-person wedding sounds like a good idea", probably going and hanging out with your friends is the better plan.

i have my doubts that anyone "goes" that insane, but most likely people who make such decisions were pretty deranged before covid already

for example i've met a lot of people who's ONLY thought is "oh that's what the numbers say, and the personal risk to MYSELF from an infection is like 1 in 1000 so it's all fine" and disregard the risk to OTHERS of themselves being a spreader no matter how often you correct them when they say the egotistical thing

i'm pretty sure such a dysfunction of logic doesn't suddenly grow from being in quarantine (especially when they haven't been quarantining hard in the first place) but is just a consequence of their overall capabilities and biases

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 27, 2020

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

other people posted:

heck no im going to party hard

Superb username/post combo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Do some people really sit at home with 0 contact with outside world? What are you, a millionaire without a job?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do some people really sit at home with 0 contact with outside world? What are you, a millionaire without a job?

I was going to the gas station for cigarettes every 2 days. I quit smoking maybe 3 days ago and haven't left my place during that time. I can't find a reason to go out now until I need to go grocery shopping. But I'm really stocked up right now. The cigs are what really got me outside for 5 minutes. Now I have no reason to go out.

I know a lot of goons in here were completely isolating themselves for weeks and even my cripplingly depressed self probably would have a hard time with that. But we'll see now that I don't need to go to the gas station. I'll probably find some reason to do something which yes, I know is incredibly stupid, but killing my bipolar self is a constant threat and I don't know if I wanna try that again.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The nice little restaurant I get takeout from is packed while we're on the verge of another lockdown, here in europe's hotspot.
Idk how people feel safe in a place where you're elbow to elbow with strangers.

No attempt to remove tables or anything to have less patrons.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

i have a job that can be done effectively 100% via chat and email and local grocery stores have a solid delivery system

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I quit smoking maybe 3 days ago

Congrats, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Dude if you're not a computer janitor you have to roll the dice to live. I don't know why some of you think the majority of people have a choice in this.