Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

What's the best and worst comic versions of Satan?

Kinda goes without saying, but Mephisto is all over the board depending on who's writing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Satan from that one panel where he is like "HOOYAH IT'S ME SATAN!" and the lady is like "So?" is the best or worst comic Satan.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

The Satan from that one panel where he is like "HOOYAH IT'S ME SATAN!" and the lady is like "So?" is the best or worst comic Satan.

Both. Great entrance, no follow up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1320772604995772418

Holy poo poo!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah if he gets the role that is amazing casting.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

God, that would be amazing. Hope he clinches the role! :pray:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Moon Knight is absolutely going to be doing the now standard Marvel hallway fight scene while “Walk Like An Egyptian” plays.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I mean, it should be Keanu. But I'll take this.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
That’s fantastic casting, wonder if they’ll add any additional D+ content to their slate since the reorganization happening at Disney. Maybe they’ll just reup Falcon and Winter Solider and some of the initial D+ for more seasons. Even with that number of shows the content doesn’t stretch that far, since apparently they seem to be short six episode seasons. I’m guessing they would at least like to get 5-6 live action MCU shows throughout the year. That way almost ever month in the year has new MCU content.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

^burtle posted:

Moon Knight is absolutely going to be doing the now standard Marvel hallway fight scene while “Walk Like An Egyptian” plays.

You make that sound like it would be a bad thing. Not like Walk Like And Egyptian can't be made cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_CwCTOOMI

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 26, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Oscar Isaac say he was really vehemently against doing any more Star Wars (or am I thinking of just John Boyega)? Seems kinda weird to just jump over to another giant Disney franchise but hey whatever

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Didn't Oscar Isaac say he was really vehemently against doing any more Star Wars (or am I thinking of just John Boyega)? Seems kinda weird to just jump over to another giant Disney franchise but hey whatever

I don't see what's so weird about wanting to be in good stuff while also not wanting to be in horrible stuff anymore.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Knocking on all the wood but jj abrams isn't involved in the mcu

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't see what's so weird about wanting to be in good stuff while also not wanting to be in horrible stuff anymore.

lol, fair

site posted:

Knocking on all the wood but jj abrams isn't involved in the mcu

First 10 minutes of new Avengers debuts on Fortnite

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 26, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TwoPair posted:

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm with Vince MechMahon on this one. I dislike Disney as a whole, but there's no denying that the Marvel side of things is managed a lot better (and with a much kinder eye towards cast and crew) than the Star Wars camp.

What I'm saying is that Kevin Feige needs to hire Collin Trevorrow to direct Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm okay with Collin Treverrow never directing a major motion picture again.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I never thought I would say this but Book of Henry was better than what episode 9 turned out to be

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

I never thought I would say this but Book of Henry was better than what episode 9 turned out to be

His script was equal levels of bad though, just in a different way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Mandolorian was better Star Wars than any of the last six films.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I've never heard a bad word about Feige and yeah, even though they're under the same umbrella, Marvel has been managed way better than Star Wars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Given how few directors get even one shot at directing massive block busters, "better than Episode 9" isn't a high enough bar, it's not like Treverrow's Jurassic Park set the world on fire.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When people start talking Star Wars I think I live in a different universe than them. I've seen all 10 Star Wars movies and I think they're all about the same quality to me. I don't have an real attachment to any of them and I think they are all goofy films that are just fine. The only difference I see in them is the technology at use in them. The only one I think that stands out more than the other is the one without all the Jedi stuff in it and that's the one with Diego Luna and Donnie Yen in it.

EDIT: Yeah the Disney show is better than any of the films I'd say.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Skwirl posted:

Given how few directors get even one shot at directing massive block busters, "better than Episode 9" isn't a high enough bar, it's not like Treverrow's Jurassic Park set the world on fire.

Jurassic World was a much better movie than episode 9. It was far from a great movie though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

9 had some interesting *ideas* in it, but they were almost all either:

1- half baked bullshit that needed to be wedged into existing canon.
2 - presented as "this is now a thing you didn't know but is obvious to the characters".

But the dumb definitely drown out any of the good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A New Hope is trash and most of Jedi blows. Only Empire is above reproach.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Spacebump posted:

Jurassic World was a much better movie than episode 9. It was far from a great movie though.

Strong disagree.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

When people start talking Star Wars I think I live in a different universe than them. I've seen all 10 Star Wars movies and I think they're all about the same quality to me. I don't have an real attachment to any of them and I think they are all goofy films that are just fine. The only difference I see in them is the technology at use in them. The only one I think that stands out more than the other is the one without all the Jedi stuff in it and that's the one with Diego Luna and Donnie Yen in it.

EDIT: Yeah the Disney show is better than any of the films I'd say.

This is sorta how I feel. Watched a number of them. Didn't get it. I saw Last Jedi in theaters when it came out. I thought it was really fun and interesting. Then like a week later I saw ~the discourse and decided Star Wars just isn't my thing. Clearly if I only like that one, the franchise is beyond me.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I imagine there's a pretty big generational breakdown at play here. There's a wide gap between seeing Star Wars when there's never been anything like it before and seeing Star Wars when it is already an accepted part of global culture that everyone knows something about and has this reputation as a legendary franchise.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

I imagine there's a pretty big generational breakdown at play here. There's a wide gap between seeing Star Wars when there's never been anything like it before and seeing Star Wars when it is already an accepted part of global culture that everyone knows something about and has this reputation as a legendary franchise.

Yeah, I saw A New Hope opening week with my dad. It was unlike anything I had ever seen or heard before.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I saw A New Hope opening week with my dad. It was unlike anything I had ever seen or heard before.

That was 5 years before my time but I saw the rerelease in theaters late 90s because my dad wanted me to experience it the way he did. Still enjoyed the movies, but I don't recall caring differently from the VHS tapes.

I remember when I showed Alien/Aliens to my brother and his response was "they're good but I've seen clips, homages and parodies so many times that it doesn't do anything for me." I think that's where Star Wars falls for a lot of folks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Star Wars strikes me as the distilled essence of nostalgia marketing. Just all promises of recapturing the magic from when it genuinely was unlike anything you'd ever seen before, while necessarily being exactly like everything you've seen since. Every installment with a designated Cute Mascot specifically designed to push emotional buttons so people will make gifs for free advertising and so it'll fly off the shelves at Christmas.

Mind you I haven't seen one since Ep I but that's the very strong impression I get from both the marketing itself and the reactions of people. It's never about the plots and themes of the movies themselves and very little about the new characters but mostly about what happens to those characters we already know from decades ago. This one's got Han Solo in it and the next one will have Luke Skywalker and thank god there's CGI or we would have dug up Carrie Fisher for a cameo if we'd had to.

all that being said I might watch The Last Jedi sometime cause Rian Johnson knows what he's doing, Knives Out and Looper were excellent so yeah that one's probably pretty decent at least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've announced some new casting for Stargirl s2. Nick Taraby will be playing Eclipso and Jonathan Cake as The Shade.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

They've announced some new casting for Stargirl s2. Nick Taraby will be playing Eclipso and Jonathan Cake as The Shade.

Ah, potential more James Robinson-scripted episodes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Skwirl posted:

Sorry let me rephrase.

The notoriously bad Book Of Henry that was Treverow's passion project, that is very insane was better than episode 9

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Ah, potential more James Robinson-scripted episodes.

Did Robinson write anything in Season 1? I only saw the pilot because I wasn't interested at all in a teenage superhero coming of age/balancing high school/family/friends with superheroics story, but I have always loved the JSA, and Starman is my all-time favorite comic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Did Robinson write anything in Season 1? I only saw the pilot because I wasn't interested at all in a teenage superhero coming of age/balancing high school/family/friends with superheroics story, but I have always loved the JSA, and Starman is my all-time favorite comic.

Yeah, he wrote the tenth episode (where I think the Shade gets namedropped the first time). Stargirl's really fun. I mean it is what you say you're not interested in, but it's very watchable and gives us a very apt depiction of a teen in that Courtney is very dumb in a teenage way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sorry let me rephrase.

The notoriously bad Book Of Henry that was Treverow's passion project, that is very insane was better than episode 9

The Book of Henry is a bad movie, but it's at least a movie. It's got a structure, set up, pay off, and clearly had some amount of care put into being at least internally consistent.

Episode 9 is so bad it's the one movie I can think of other than poo poo like Manos where I need to go full Scorcese and say not only is episode 9 not cinema, but I'm not actually sure if it even qualifies as a movie because other than "being moving pictures projected on a screen" it doesn't have anything a movie needs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Daisy Ridley is a really bad actress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So were Mark Hamill and Hayden Christensen. It's tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Daisy Ridley is a really bad actress.

She's perfectly fine in everything else I've ever seen her in. It's one of those cases like Hayden where nah, he's a fine actor, but you could put Lawrence Olivier in episode 9 and you'd come out the other side thinking he sucks.