Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
Python is a lovely language for writing code fast. it is a poo poo language for reading code, crucially reading someone else’s code. if you don’t get that your teammates’ efficiency at reading and debugging your code is orders of magnitude more important than your efficiency at writing it then you are an amateur, and I do not want to bet my oncall shift on your work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

i just used terminal to uninstall an app. 2020 is truly the year of Linux on the desktop.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mister Panos posted:

i just used terminal to uninstall an app. 2020 is truly the year of Linux on the desktop.

Was it faster than if you had used a GUI?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spazmo posted:

Python is a lovely language for writing code fast.
I feel like that isn't as true once you factor in the time you spend running your code and discovering that it has a bunch of trivial mistakes that would have been easily caught by the type system in any other language.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mystes posted:

I feel like that isn't as true once you factor in the time you spend running your code and discovering that it has a bunch of trivial mistakes that would have been easily caught by the type system in any other language.

only if you don’t use an ide and don’t at a minimum use type-hinting.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

only if you don’t use an ide and don’t at a minimum use type-hinting.
Once you use type hinting it's just like a normal statically typed language with a worse type system, so you might as well use something else.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

Once you use type hinting it's just like a normal statically typed language with a worse type system, so you might as well use something else.

having actual functions means you can write procedural code without getting hassled in review. this is very nice when you just need a little script to perform a task, and type hinting is still cool and good at that scale. adding hints is far cheaper than trying to remember wtf is going in even for 100 LOC

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

having actual functions means you can write procedural code without getting hassled in review. this is very nice when you just need a little script to perform a task, and type hinting is still cool and good at that scale. adding hints is far cheaper than trying to remember wtf is going in even for 100 LOC
Its definitely better than bash but a lot of statically typed languages are as easy to whip out a script in as python these days.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 24, 2020

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You can now install Linux through the App Store iSH

Download and import the Alpine x86 mini root to get a package manager

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Perplx posted:

:thunk:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Perplx posted:

hell yea macs are finally usable

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Beamed posted:

hell yea macs are finally usable

not even close

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

way too long since we've had our share of phoronix posting

Systemd 247-RC1 Released With Systemd-OOMD, Systemd-Homed Now Defaults To Btrfs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
where’s systemd-kerneld

mystes
May 31, 2006

systemd/linux

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

from two pages ago sorry:

spankmeister posted:

[alpine] is optimized for size, which makes it slow. If you replace it with for example debian you can expect performance gains, which in large deployments can be significant.

what's a distro that's optimized for minimal attack surface / installed poo poo?

for containers there's distroless images which do exactly this: https://github.com/GoogleContainerTools/distroless

but for a personal headless server, i'm not sure what's the right choice. ideally i guess i'd want a distro with nothing but full-disk encryption, networking, firewall, and ssh? then i would install a virtualization or container host and call it a day as i start deploying actual services on it.

(ubuntu core need not apply)

should i seriously go for tinycore linux? it's 11mb yet it uses glibc instead of musl, so i guess it might perform better than alpine

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That "distroless" container thing looks like an extremely convoluted way of circling back to the equivalent of a service launched via a normal systemd unit file with cgroup isolation and ephemeral uid/gid.

At that point you can just throw away the entire container thing and build a deb package of the application and wow! it's so much simpler!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
i guess the idea is that you use that as a base and then install your deps in it and you still get the benefits of the whole-system isolation

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

That "distroless" container thing looks like an extremely convoluted way of circling back to the equivalent of a service launched via a normal systemd unit file with cgroup isolation and ephemeral uid/gid.

At that point you can just throw away the entire container thing and build a deb package of the application and wow! it's so much simpler!

this is on a similar level of missing the point as the infamous hackernews "what's the point of dropbox? you can just use ftp + curlftps + svn" comment

yes, you can build a minimal part of docker yourself from the essential kernel components

the reason you use docker is because of the entire frigging ecosystem built around it over a decade, from public/private registries to cli utilities to compose files to storage drivers to monitoring tools to reverse proxies to everything else

it's also the reason why improved docker alternatives like podman put in a ton of work to be as close to a drop-in replacement as possible, and why standardization efforts like oci exist in the first place

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eyh Fedora 33 is out

https://lwn.net/Articles/835366/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

quote:

To make the default Fedora experience better, we’ve set nano as the default editor.

Fedora is bad now

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I primarily take offence with the practice of bundling 350MB of random garbage into a tarball along with your 500 loc Flask application. And then writing another gigantic pile of code because someone came to the realisation that this is a stupid thing to do, like that's a revelation. It's extremely javascriptian.

Btw., podman can't come to Debian 11 fast enough, jfc.

spankmeister posted:

Fedora is bad now

Weird, have they forgotten that ed is the standard editor?

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

sick, linux got jetsam. there's perf engineers at apple making six fat figgies just having meetings about moving daemons between memory priority bands, now linux people can get in on that grift!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

I primarily take offence with the practice of bundling 350MB of random garbage into a tarball along with your 500 loc Flask application. And then writing another gigantic pile of code because someone came to the realisation that this is a stupid thing to do, like that's a revelation. It's extremely javascriptian.

Btw., podman can't come to Debian 11 fast enough, jfc.

Weird, have they forgotten that ed is the standard editor?

building huge loving docker images is actually awesome and i am so incredibly grateful that i don't have any BUT MAH MEGABYTES types to deal with at work

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Fedora 33 report:

For the first time since Fedora 22, I decided to do a fresh install because supposedly BTRFS is the new hotness.
The install went smooth, and about 40 minutes after booting into Fedora my computer hard-froze and refused to boot back into Fedora.

Reinstalled F33 with ext4 and it's been stable ever since.

BTRFS: Not even once.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

The python poo poo is going to require 350MB of random libs anyway, so I'd much rather have them in a single, easily versioned, easily hash-checked tarball instead of spread all over /usr/bin/butts and /opt/fartz

And no, static linking isn't quite the same, just like cgroups aren't quite the same either

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nomnom Cookie posted:

building huge loving docker images is actually awesome and i am so incredibly grateful that i don't have any BUT MAH MEGABYTES types to deal with at work

someone at work built a 20GB docker image that really should have been a VM

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

someone at work built a 20GB docker image that really should have been a VM

we can find a middle ground between "a single binary with no tools" and "the entire backend bundled into a single container, including chef to deploy new app versions"

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

NihilCredo posted:

what's a distro that's optimized for minimal attack surface / installed poo poo?
I recently put arch on a personal machine that does goofy gpgpu poo poo I made up, because I forgot the (totally unnecessary) luks password. It replaced ubuntu server, and it took me less time to configure than unfucking all the bullshit ubuntu does by default. The nice part is that now I have a backup installation image for that exact machine, with only the poo poo that's required, in case I gently caress it up again.

My home router runs alpine right now but I regret it as it was a turbo pain in the rear end to get ipv6 working, for some reason I don't remember.

I've used tinycore a lot in the past for the same situation. It works great, but the way it's set up is a bit esoteric. I think that was during the hosed up phase where I had all of my machines network boot, and it's awesome if you literally live in a computer.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Buildroot

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

from two pages ago sorry:

for containers there's distroless images which do exactly this: https://github.com/GoogleContainerTools/distroless

but for a personal headless server, i'm not sure what's the right choice. ideally i guess i'd want a distro with nothing but full-disk encryption, networking, firewall, and ssh? then i would install a virtualization or container host and call it a day as i start deploying actual services on it.

(ubuntu core need not apply)

should i seriously go for tinycore linux? it's 11mb yet it uses glibc instead of musl, so i guess it might perform better than alpine

I think that's what Qubes is for, but I don't know enough about it to recommend it or not.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my current docker image record is 28GB

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

jeez i just meant it's nice having ps and bash and apt on the container. put in a little work to base all your images on a common upstream and you only pay for it once

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

spankmeister posted:

I think that's what Qubes is for, but I don't know enough about it to recommend it or not.

qubes kicks rear end but it's strictly a distro for desktop use + for people who prioritize security over literally everything else, especially including performance and usability

like, i couldn't play a smooth 1080p youtube video on my 6600k with 16GB ram. but boy i was drat sure that battle for wesnoth had no idea what kind of youtube i was watching

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

dougdrums posted:

I recently put arch on a personal machine that does goofy gpgpu poo poo I made up, because I forgot the (totally unnecessary) luks password. It replaced ubuntu server, and it took me less time to configure than unfucking all the bullshit ubuntu does by default. The nice part is that now I have a backup installation image for that exact machine, with only the poo poo that's required, in case I gently caress it up again.

My home router runs alpine right now but I regret it as it was a turbo pain in the rear end to get ipv6 working, for some reason I don't remember.

I've used tinycore a lot in the past for the same situation. It works great, but the way it's set up is a bit esoteric. I think that was during the hosed up phase where I had all of my machines network boot, and it's awesome if you literally live in a computer.

great post of the kind i was looking for, thanks. there's an arch build for the pi4 so when i cave in and buy an 8gb for more manchild toys i will give it a try

two other distros came to mind while i was thinking. balenaos is a very slick distro for managing small (iot, but not necessarily) container hosts, with the big caveat that the slick experience is predicated on using their saas to manage them all. you can self-host instead but it's apparently kind of a pain. and k3os is for the people who dehumanized themselves and faced to da kubez

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
can't believe people are actually advocating non-red hat linux unironically in here

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

that distroless thing looks interesting except for the loving name

"serverless" my rear end, i hired a taxi, this is a "Carless" drive

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

Fedora is bad now

having nano as the default editor sounds like a cheap april fool's joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wonder if they'll ever get Fedora Silverblue to the point where it becomes the default version of the distribution because it is really good.

The stupid Gnome Software application is still an utter trainwreck that hangs forever 80% of the time though and I don't think that will ever change.