Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

You get to teleport to the zone you get the accolade for, so lol @ getting every badge in every zone on every character

It's not a perfect solution as-is but also lol @ everyone freaking out like you absolutely need to get every zone unlocked.

Apparently the Atlas destination is directly in front of the tram station (and also the TUNNEL), so getting that one single accolade effectively gets you like 10+ zones at the cost of being very minimally less efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It had become a commonplace expectation among the community, while the people working on the game saw it as something unintended. There's a clear disconnect when it comes to how players and programmers view the game in that regard -- which can happen with any game, really.

Not sure what people get out of repeatedly emphasizing that they're too cool to care, but whatever. I think we should be okay as long as the people working on the game don't start spouting TheVision™ type nonsense.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

TheVision™ type nonsense.

I have gamer PTSD over that phrase. Trigger warning.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Emmert's gambit, the longest con

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Harrow posted:

The Combat Teleport ability is definitely what caught my eye the most. I've always thought the idea of teleporting around a bunch was really cool but just not all that practical in CoH. This might make enough of a difference that I'll go for it with a couple characters. I have a Time Manipulation Defender who has flight right now just for ease of use but teleportation feels much more right for him.

It sounds really cool but now we need Combat Teleport power customization with the costume change emotes as animation options.

Also, IMO the fix that's needed for the teleport thing, and for lots of other convenience issues in this game, is to make accolades (and maybe badges in general?) account-wide instead of character-specific. I don't think most players would mind having to run around zones collecting exploration badges if they only had to do it once, forever. I would find it fun, personally.. once.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 26, 2020

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ali Aces posted:

It sounds really cool but now we need Combat Teleport power customization with the costume change emotes as animation options.

Also, IMO the fix that's needed for the teleport thing, and for lots of other convenience issues in this game, is to make accolades (and maybe badges in general?) account-wide instead of character-specific. I don't think most players would mind having to run around zones collecting exploration badges if they only had to do it once, forever. I would find it fun, personally.. once.

Hell, that's the kind of stuff that has had me reluctant to try the private server version of the game. I have nostalgia, and more importantly would wanna see the story stuff I never got to, like the high level villain content and stuff added with going rogue, but I already burned out on alts doing the entire (pre-Death of Statesman) hero-side, and all sub 30 content on both sides multiple times. I'd be hard pressed to do the badge hunting for stuff like the stamina upgrade one more time, let alone for all of the characters I'd wanna try.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

John Murdoch posted:

It's not a perfect solution as-is but also lol @ everyone freaking out like you absolutely need to get every zone unlocked.

Apparently the Atlas destination is directly in front of the tram station (and also the TUNNEL), so getting that one single accolade effectively gets you like 10+ zones at the cost of being very minimally less efficient.

Getting it on 30 characters or whatever is still a pain in the rear end and there’s still a lot of power bloat.

It’s a great opportunity to make those exploration accolades account-wide and consolidate all the TP powers down but who knows if they’re actually gonna listen to feedback when they’re doing much longer closed beta phases

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
When the Live game was ending, I was talking to one of the devs, Black Pebble I think it was. He said there were vague plans in the works to make badges "semi account wide". For example, the Slayer badge for 200 vampires; once one character got the badge, all your other characters would need 20% less vampires, and so on; once 5 characters got it, all further characters automatically got the badge. Eventually alt-aholics would automatically get all accolades.

Seems like a good idea, but would require a lot of backend coding work.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I know there were some technical limitations on just how many account wide badges you could have and the game was nearing that limit. Most of them were reserved for veteran reward badges and other purchase-related stuff and it ate up most of the space.

iirc it was under the context of "well eventually we're gonna need to fix this." Something lame and half-step-y like reducing requirements does seem like a boring Positron compromise though - dude completely hated the idea of his systems being convenient for alts.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I know there were some technical limitations on just how many account wide badges you could have and the game was nearing that limit. Most of them were reserved for veteran reward badges and other purchase-related stuff and it ate up most of the space.

iirc it was under the context of "well eventually we're gonna need to fix this." Something lame and half-step-y like reducing requirements does seem like a boring Positron compromise though - dude completely hated the idea of his systems being convenient for alts.

I think so, but they were also about to get LUA working, which I think is what Black Pebble was saying would allow them to do it. But then, I don't know how LUA works, so I could be wrong.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

I think so, but they were also about to get LUA working, which I think is what Black Pebble was saying would allow them to do it. But then, I don't know how LUA works, so I could be wrong.

I've only heard chatterings so I dunno how versatile it could actually be. I know a lot of NPC behaviors were done with LUA in incarnate trials near the end, though, like those Storm Voids in Minds of Mayhem. Some mission scripting uses it for the down-but-not-out state, spawns and teleports, so on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My one problem with making the exploration accolades global is that each one also rewards 5 merits. Not a huge amount compared to something like WST Posi or whatever, but I do usually find myself grabbing Atlas/Kings Row/Steel on the quick to generate a free chunk of 'em (and the exploration XP doesn't hurt either).

Abroham Lincoln posted:

dude completely hated the idea of his systems being convenient for alts.

Matt Miller literally did not understand why you would ever feel the need to roll more than one character, period. Outside of the rare and minor exception of your supergroup needing a tank or healer or whatever.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

Matt Miller literally did not understand why you would ever feel the need to roll more than one character, period. Outside of the rare and minor exception of your supergroup needing a tank or healer or whatever.

When the game launched, if you weren't a poopsocker, getting to max level would take anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Gynovore posted:

When the game launched, if you weren't a poopsocker, getting to max level would take anywhere from 6 months to a year.

It’s true

I played near launch. My alt addiction was so bad I’m 99% sure my first 50 was a villain

Aborted
Aug 7, 2007

Boba Fatt
I miss the days when an Invul tanker could herd a whole map of warwolves and take them to a dumpster and then just nuke the poo poo out of them. I remember getting powerleveled that way, and my fire/kin controller would fulcrum shift the poo poo out of them and a fire blaster just clicking inferno and diying and being rezzed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

hup posted:

It’s true

I played near launch. My alt addiction was so bad I’m 99% sure my first 50 was a villain

You are a baby to me.

My first 50 was Illusion/Empathy Controller and I played solo.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Inzombiac posted:

You are a baby to me.

My first 50 was Illusion/Empathy Controller and I played solo.

Holy poo poo yeah. When I started, I was still kind of an MMO noob and didn't know that teaming was the default. My first char was a tank and the second was an Ill/Emp troller. Both were fun to play but soloing was sooo slooooow. If I had chosen a mind troller or something I might well have quit the game after a few months.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gynovore posted:

Holy poo poo yeah. When I started, I was still kind of an MMO noob and didn't know that teaming was the default. My first char was a tank and the second was an Ill/Emp troller. Both were fun to play but soloing was sooo slooooow. If I had chosen a mind troller or something I might well have quit the game after a few months.

My first character was a mind/kin controller and I abandoned them very quickly -for a ice/mace tank which was certainly a choice. By the time I got to 50 both were incredibly viable and useful powersets though!
I never got another character to 50.

John Murdoch posted:

:psyduck: CoH launched with no endgame beyond a barely functional world boss, and CoV had a very deliberate "choose a patron that gives you a different late game story, locking you out of the other patrons" what did he expect was going to keep people subbed? ERP in the danceclub?
CoX seemed specifically designed for altholics with the major lure being you could go from 1-30 a bunch of times without exhausting all the low to midlevel story and mission content.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

by all accounts Matt Positron Miller really assumed that everyone was waiting on them to start setting up epic raids and progression ladders, for some reason

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LordSaturn posted:

by all accounts Matt Positron Miller really assumed that everyone was waiting on them to start setting up epic raids and progression ladders, for some reason

So he felt folks were just keeping active subs for the badges in the meantime? It's just funny CoX traded one utterly out of touch "Actually the players are wrong and only think they're having fun" ideas guy at the helm for another.
Though I guess to be fair, most leads on MMOs were pretty out of touch and had that sort of view back in the day. It was a genre of stumbling into a great or terrible games with no idea why, but always hoping for the EQ/WoW-killer

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

does this game take up a lot of hard drive space? I'm playing on a cloud service with minimal HD space unfortunately

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

a pale ghost posted:

does this game take up a lot of hard drive space? I'm playing on a cloud service with minimal HD space unfortunately

It's a little under 5gb on my install.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

is the OP up to date regarding servers and such?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have only shame to offer when it comes to first characters. My first was an Emp something. I didn't latch onto Dark/Dark like a goddamn barnacle until my second character.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Gynovore posted:

A: I'll admit that I RMT'd SOs. $5 to avoid that grind. Only game I've ever done that in.

B: I still can't navigate blueside and the base nerf hurts me, a lot. And you, too. Do you like it when people ask you how to get to the next mission in a TF?
B(2): it's a big reason I've played waaaaaay more reside, Cryptic had already somewhat realized their travel mistake by then.
B(3): I've had TF leaders that recognize me and DM me directions to the next mission. This isn't Eve, I shouldn't need a map to figure out which location connects to another. Yet, I've had to draw it out.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Btw, Cryptic eventually figured out the grind reduction credit tracking/database issue. When you complete one of the big legacy grinds in star trek online you can mail your alts a 50% off token for their grind. Most modern redemptions are explicitly account wide unless they're trying to gently caress the gambling whales.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

a pale ghost posted:

Homecoming is still the most popular server for the most part and goons are mostly playing on Excelsior afaik.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

LordSaturn posted:

It is so mind-boggling to go back and read his posts to just see how completely he misread the primary appeal of the game he was lead developer for. CoX was unbeatable as a dolly dress-up game that allowed you to create characters of quite different genres, and gave you space for a long name with variations in capitalisation snd spaces, with titles. Of course people were going to be drawn to trying out different combos of powers and outfits, not to mention hilarious gag names. No one really wanted the heavy end content gearing and raiding, not when your brilliant idea for a Street Justice Stalker with the vampire face and cape but in those boxing shorts and gloves called Count Punchula is just begging to be made.

How you could think this game was for people to play super seriously with just one character was bafflingly odd.

e: Count Punchula was my last great gasp on live. Such a great look and his bio read something like, "A suspiciously long-lived aristocrat with an unquenchable and unholy lust for punching"

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Homecoming is still the most popular server for the most part and goons are mostly playing on Excelsior afaik.
The roleplayers are mostly on Everlasting. But lol small effort to switch characters around honestly.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Matt Miller was Golden Girl.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a pale ghost posted:

Homecoming is the most popular still. If the OP says goons are on Indomitable I think that's changed and most goons are on Excelsior now, though if you want to RP, they're on Everlasting. But yeah like others have pointed out, it's effortless to move your characters between Homecoming's servers.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Kheldarn posted:

Thread title plz

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

My one problem with making the exploration accolades global is that each one also rewards 5 merits. Not a huge amount compared to something like WST Posi or whatever, but I do usually find myself grabbing Atlas/Kings Row/Steel on the quick to generate a free chunk of 'em (and the exploration XP doesn't hurt either).

This is going to come off kinda long-winded, but what else are we gonna talk about here besides what all the old guard got wrong..

This perspective kinda reminds me of my Kingdom of Loathing days; for anyone unaware, in that game, you had a certain amount of turns per day, in which to gain currency and XP before you were locked out until the next day. Lots of players of course interpreted that as a game where you were trying to make as much progress as you can in those turns. This created 'degenerate gameplay' where people would do things like extend battles to just below the maximum round limit so they can use an ability that had a small chance to return currency every round, tying up both server and player resources and real-time. They started to refer to this behavior as 'dick-stabbing', saying that some players would happily stab themselves in the dick over and over for hours a day if it meant a slightly greater progress:turn ratio.

This perspective comes off as very dick-stabby to me. You don't actually want to run around collecting exploration badges on every new character; you just want some reward merits. In this era of a million games to play and limited player time, I'd rather Homecoming just give every new character a handful of starting merits and have the exploration badges/accolades account-wide than have to waste a bunch of time running around rather than playing. If that could be exploited by people who want to just make a million characters, turn in merits, and trade the rewards around, well, let them. That's just another form of dick-stabbing anyway.

At this point there is no reason whatsoever to maintain tedious, repetitive gameplay requirements for convenience abilities or minor rewards. Running around all over is fun the first time, but there's no reason to make me spend hours doing it again and again, I'll just play something else instead.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kheldarn posted:

I just felt the chill of the grave. :P

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

;)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kheldarn posted:

Now that's a Halloween fright.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ali Aces posted:

This is going to come off kinda long-winded, but what else are we gonna talk about here besides what all the old guard got wrong..

This perspective kinda reminds me of my Kingdom of Loathing days; for anyone unaware, in that game, you had a certain amount of turns per day, in which to gain currency and XP before you were locked out until the next day. Lots of players of course interpreted that as a game where you were trying to make as much progress as you can in those turns. This created 'degenerate gameplay' where people would do things like extend battles to just below the maximum round limit so they can use an ability that had a small chance to return currency every round, tying up both server and player resources and real-time. They started to refer to this behavior as 'dick-stabbing', saying that some players would happily stab themselves in the dick over and over for hours a day if it meant a slightly greater progress:turn ratio.

This perspective comes off as very dick-stabby to me. You don't actually want to run around collecting exploration badges on every new character; you just want some reward merits. In this era of a million games to play and limited player time, I'd rather Homecoming just give every new character a handful of starting merits and have the exploration badges/accolades account-wide than have to waste a bunch of time running around rather than playing. If that could be exploited by people who want to just make a million characters, turn in merits, and trade the rewards around, well, let them. That's just another form of dick-stabbing anyway.

At this point there is no reason whatsoever to maintain tedious, repetitive gameplay requirements for convenience abilities or minor rewards. Running around all over is fun the first time, but there's no reason to make me spend hours doing it again and again, I'll just play something else instead.

I think you're reading too far into it. I'm not saying "no, absolutely can't make them global, cuz merits!!!" but it is still a concern I would have about doing so. Removing those merits would be a net-negative and it would be kind of lame to lose them because a totally unrelated problem, one that the devs basically created themselves, needed to be fixed.

Grabbing the Atlas and Steel badges takes almost no time at all and it's something I do during the downtime of people taking 30 minutes to assemble a team or when I'm passively noodling around because the server's dead and nobody's running Posi at 5AM. Back when Homecoming was fresh I felt the need to lean on those merits a bit more but now it's just a chill mode thing. Running around in-game is inherently fun on its own.

And to some degree this is really just drawing an arbitrary line in the sand. It's an MMO. It's repetitive bullshit in exchange for rewards all the way down. Grabbing the badges isn't the peak of engaging gameplay, but neither is turning those merits into converters, or flipping those converters for money, or using that money to fill out a stock of basic IOs so my character can have baseline functionality. Speed TFs are infinitely more repulsive to me than casually collecting some badges on a new alt.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 27, 2020

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I think you're reading too far into it. I'm not saying "no, absolutely can't make them global, cuz merits!!!" but it is still a concern I would have about doing so. Removing those merits would be a net-negative and it would be kind of lame to lose them because a totally unrelated problem, one that the devs basically created themselves, needed to be fixed.

I mean you could just sidestep the whole thing and have those accolades grant the account wide badge/credit that unlocks the TP destination, it’s not a one or the other situation.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I mean you could just sidestep the whole thing and have those accolades grant the account wide badge/credit that unlocks the TP destination, it’s not a one or the other situation.

True. And actually the merits might already be granted via a secondary, invisible badge. Most bonuses like that are.

Honestly in my head I always think of those merits being a super obscure thing that nobody ever thinks about. I know for a fact the "complete all story arcs from X" badges granting 20 merits is definitely under the radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Coward posted:

It is so mind-boggling to go back and read his posts to just see how completely he misread the primary appeal of the game he was lead developer for. CoX was unbeatable as a dolly dress-up game that allowed you to create characters of quite different genres, and gave you space for a long name with variations in capitalisation snd spaces, with titles. Of course people were going to be drawn to trying out different combos of powers and outfits, not to mention hilarious gag names. No one really wanted the heavy end content gearing and raiding, not when your brilliant idea for a Street Justice Stalker with the vampire face and cape but in those boxing shorts and gloves called Count Punchula is just begging to be made.

How you could think this game was for people to play super seriously with just one character was bafflingly odd.

e: Count Punchula was my last great gasp on live. Such a great look and his bio read something like, "A suspiciously long-lived aristocrat with an unquenchable and unholy lust for punching"

The really wild part was when he said "People said they didn't like the raids but actually people played them a lot!" like making raids the only way to see most of the new content wasn't going to herd people into doing them.