Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ThaumPenguin posted:

You already have. Remember that Edgar is the brother with the lazy eye, yet you can clearly see it on "Evrart's" portrait.

they’re the same person, evrart pretends to be two people so he can avoid term limits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

ThaumPenguin posted:

You already have. Remember that Edgar is the brother with the lazy eye, yet you can clearly see it on "Evrart's" portrait.

People keep saying that but I don't think that's true. The line from Joyce goes "Edgar looks *exactly* like his brother, except for that lazy eye." It's not 100% clear who has the lazy eye.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

they’re the same person, evrart pretends to be two people so he can avoid term limits

Nah, Easy Leo talks about both of them when they were kids.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

If that was the case I doubt we'd have the "Edgar is the one with the lazy eye" detail at all, seeing how it implicates him. It's more likely that the less intellectual twin brother legitimately exists, but that Real-Edgar/Fake-Evrart is currently pretending to be him, so as to be in direct control during this very critical stage of their plans.

If there legitimately were just one Claire, we'd likely have seen at least a single mention of how they've never been seen in the same place at the same time. People tend to be a bit skeptical of "Oh I have an identical twin I work together with all the time" if nobody has spotted you actually doing so at any point in decades.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 27, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

vetinari100 posted:

People keep saying that but I don't think that's true. The line from Joyce goes "Edgar looks *exactly* like his brother, except for that lazy eye." It's not 100% clear who has the lazy eye.

That's a good point, though I can't imagine why the brains of the operation would risk being away (or at least somewhat hands-off) at such a crucial stage of their plans.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My disappointment with the game is that there are no furry animals or children to live for, and it’s usually explored in post-apocalyptic works which I count DE under. In a lonely existence of pain, a companion of some sort wouldn’t be implausible for HDB to have near to him. Homeless people oftentimes have dogs as companions they’ll take care of better than themselves (and there are definitely some assholes that abuse them for sympathy / panhandling points). This kind of relation to other beings is a key missing dimension of the human experience that is both an answer and non-answer to the existentialist dread.

Taken to a more conservative ending / worldview, the common answer to a lot of the existential problems is oftentimes “have children.” By making HDB a trainwreck of a human being, this closes the door and his suffering is alone. This dimension of suffering is not explored much in DE nor is it a dominant theme in games, but it’s one that’s pretty common everywhere else. Perhaps it has more to do with the targeted age demographics of games today and in 30 years we’ll see games better expand into themes on family v individual.

But even ignoring the crap you go through in the story as a player, having your dog die in a shootout would be an instant game over for me even if the game let you finish without it. I can sell out my partner or gently caress over someone that trusts me, but I’m not diabolical enough to ever pick animal abuse as an option. A game that’d have the character as a truly psychotic person would involve animal abuse and treating living beings as not more than complex animate objects (common sentiment of psychopaths - distinct, pathological lack of emotional attachment). Maybe me watching Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer right after playing DE was a bad idea...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

with the greatest of respect: what the gently caress are you talking about

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

with the greatest of respect: what the gently caress are you talking about

:emptyquote:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

necrobobsledder posted:

My disappointment with the game is that there are no furry animals or children to live for,

THE gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So do you actually want dogs in the game or not

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I agree, my Furry Kim mod aims to fix this glaring oversight

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

glad this game doesn't have a dog narrative b/c they always remind me of how (western) white ppl love dogs more than people

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

vetinari100 posted:

Nah, Easy Leo talks about both of them when they were kids.

notwithstanding leo's incipient dementia, my theory can still be true; it's not that edgar isn't a real person, it's that he's not involved in union stuff (maybe not even in martinaise) and evrart pretends to be him sometimes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

glad this game doesn't have a dog narrative b/c they always remind me of how (western) white ppl love dogs more than people

It's because the whites have the desire to own other living being in their genes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The game already had a pig

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

necrobobsledder posted:

My disappointment with the game is that there are no furry animals or children to live for, and it’s usually explored in post-apocalyptic works which I count DE under. In a lonely existence of pain, a companion of some sort wouldn’t be implausible for HDB to have near to him. Homeless people oftentimes have dogs as companions they’ll take care of better than themselves (and there are definitely some assholes that abuse them for sympathy / panhandling points). This kind of relation to other beings is a key missing dimension of the human experience that is both an answer and non-answer to the existentialist dread.

Taken to a more conservative ending / worldview, the common answer to a lot of the existential problems is oftentimes “have children.” By making HDB a trainwreck of a human being, this closes the door and his suffering is alone. This dimension of suffering is not explored much in DE nor is it a dominant theme in games, but it’s one that’s pretty common everywhere else. Perhaps it has more to do with the targeted age demographics of games today and in 30 years we’ll see games better expand into themes on family v individual.

But even ignoring the crap you go through in the story as a player, having your dog die in a shootout would be an instant game over for me even if the game let you finish without it. I can sell out my partner or gently caress over someone that trusts me, but I’m not diabolical enough to ever pick animal abuse as an option. A game that’d have the character as a truly psychotic person would involve animal abuse and treating living beings as not more than complex animate objects (common sentiment of psychopaths - distinct, pathological lack of emotional attachment). Maybe me watching Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer right after playing DE was a bad idea...

I don't want to. They're all traitors -- pigs, rabbits and dogs. Men without ideals are only animals.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Shame on you if you let Kim get shot during the mercenary tribunal but even greater shame on you if you do not deputize The Cuno in Kim's place

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wanting a cute animal or child sidekick? Are you a marketing consultant?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i was able to tolerate the game's rampant depictions of racism, sexism, class prejudice and murder, but animal abuse? we all have moral lines, sir, and you've just found mine.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

what's measurehead's take on dogs?

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Kim has the soul of a Saint Bernard.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Ghost Dogs

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Kaysette posted:

Ghost Dogs

The Royal Hounds

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah Harry isn't responsible enough for a pet

The only DE appropriate dog would be Trant Heidelstam and his son walking a dog together and then you get a sad thought about how it would have been nice to walk a dog with a son.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Certainly, a pet bird is just asking for trouble.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You are your own pet bird if you make some good decisions

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

if The Cop had a dog then the plot of the game would not have happened. and that goes double for the deserter.

i have decided not to call The Cop by any other name without spoilers.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

What, you mean Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

You are your own pet bird if you make some good decisions

I know audubon was a chump because he never described the fuckupatoo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

The Opener Of The Eighth Seal

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
This thread rules because it seems like every page there's someone just completely making up poo poo to fit a version of the story that exists only in their heads, or there's someone with zero reading comprehension skills overreacting to something in the game, or people getting flustered because the game is mocking their sorry asses, and NOW we get whatever that dog post is lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I don't know who the gently caress that is but all I need to know is whether or not he can hang with Tequila Sunset without cramping his style.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

My disappointment with the game is that there are no furry animals or children to live for

Live for Cuno

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

EorayMel posted:

The Opener Of The Eighth Seal

HAM SANDWICH

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I'm saying that DE would probably do a better take on the trope of someone not capable of human relationships or responsibilities to handle animals than how John Wick did in movie form.

Moreover, usually what grounds people to the world as a resolution to an existential quagmire like HDB's is through something greater than themselves whether it be some ideal, love, revenge, etc. Maybe a hobby or job does the trick. For a lot of Hollywood stuff, it's kids / continuation of the species that works for most conservative folks. These are all fine and equally philosophically valid options, but DE didn't even really offer anything as a solution to HDB's misery as if there can be no resolution but IRL there really is in his socioeconomic position. For a game with all kinds of weird flavors of ice cream in it, not including vanilla in it seems more odd than anything else. Talking to a shipping container? Cool. Petting a mailbox? Party on. Being boring and trying to settle down after a lovely life? Whoa, that's crazy talk.

I couldn't quite get HDB to line up as Nicolas Cage's character in Bad Lieutenant like I was trying to go for my first playthrough, and that made me a bit frustrated given how much zaniness is in the game. I was aiming for a series of unexpected consequences like that and got something very different and I wasn't in quite the mindset to dig in the way it deserves. Also sure, dying randomly while not being sure how to do anything was way more fun in this game than in any other game ever honestly.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Live for Cuno

So HDB as a kid basically? Is that an ending maybe?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I might have missed something but I never got the impression that Harry was like Cuno as a kid.

If Kim's injured in the shootout you can bring Cuno along with you for the rest of the game though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think that's just as much a consequence of where the game ends though. HDB is just starting to reassemble his psyche into something functional and it's not even clear how well it will stick. Raphael Ambrosius Costeau isn't really capable of answering an existential question like that in any depth because even at the end of the game he's only just potentially starting to come to terms with simply being and existing in the most immediate sense. But I think the game does offer hints as to what Tequila Sunset can and should to if he doesn't want to be that kind of animal anymore through the church questline

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nurmie posted:

Eh, I'm not too sold on that, personally. I don't think the pieces line up, really - Evrart didn't know about Klaasje's past, I'm pretty sure, and the logistics of the situation wouldn't allow him to plan it all that well, or react to it in any reasonable way, imo. He definitely used the situation to his own end though - further escalating the feud and pushing the conflict to become violent.

Also, I don't think it would work all that well thematically speaking - if Evrart arranged the murder of the merc, that really takes the agency and the character depth away from the Deserter. The whole story works much better if the Deserder killed the merc on his own volition, at least that's what seems to me. Furthermore, Klaasje's strength as a character suffers as well - plus, there are several witness statements that corroborate each other pointing towards Klaasje being the sole source of the lynching plan, *and* that makes much more sense narratively speaking.

I'm not saying he engineered the whole thing. Just that the fake lynching (not the shooting) was his idea. I was under the impression that the merc gets shot, then Klaasje comes to the Hardies for help, then Ruby calls Evrart and he comes up with the plan.

Like others said, Evrart is not some "just according to keikaku" mastermind, but he is very adept at taking advantage of circumstances as they arise.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the cop walks nicholas cage on a leash. internalise this thought

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Qwertycoatl posted:

I might have missed something but I never got the impression that Harry was like Cuno as a kid.

If Kim's injured in the shootout you can bring Cuno along with you for the rest of the game though.
The way Harry handles him significantly better than "normal" kids gave me an impression Harry was more aligned with him than most people although we don't ever talk about HDB's childhood in the game (which was a good idea I'd say). I got through some of Cuno's dialogue passing the empathy check but I can't piece together how the hell Cuno could go that far unless strongarmed or whatnot. I don't think it makes sense to force a partner given so many other possibilities in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Taking cuno to the end is much more satisfying than Kim, cmv