Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wait...

“Not only is the family going through the loss of a father, and a husband, but their home was irreparably damaged. They were renting a home, but now they have to find a new place to live, and need to buy furniture,” said Franca.”

Were they renting the house? If so, why was the guy trying to repair the hot water heater? I just have so many questions here... like why didn’t the guy turn off the gas before trying to work on it? Or drain the water heater?

Not trying to belittle any of this, the whole thing is incredibly sad, I just really want to know more. Also one more reason to get an on demand water heater next go around.

It says there was a fire that spread to the whole house. I'm guessing he didn't shut off the gas before loving around with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Home Depot did the carpet in the house I was selling and it was indeed bad. They no-show'd, were late to the make-up appointment, quit early because someone sliced their hand on the job, and came back the next day to finish up but not clean up

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Home Depot did the carpet in the house I was selling and it was indeed bad. They no-show'd, were late to the make-up appointment, quit early because someone sliced their hand on the job, and came back the next day to finish up but not clean up

Mill End had good prices and good installers.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I don't think so, Tim.

I had HD contractors install carpet in my basement after i had it painted and they completely ruined my baseboard paint by kicking against it to stretch the carpet.

Like maybe I hosed up the installation order and should have done carpet before painting but I was still loving mad.

yeah, HD carpet installers completely hosed up my baseboards too. I just didn't care because it's a finished basement intended for kids to destroy and we were repainting the walls anyway. They also hosed up one doorway threshold and the door wouldn't close afterwards.

We used them a couple years ago for two bedrooms and it was totally fine though. Seems like its just a crapshoot who shows up that day.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So, is there a consensus on automatic water shut-off valves? Worth the investment or just stuff for paranoid people?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

loving hell...

Our fence was scheduled for installation tomorrow. They just called and cancelled the installation, saying they found out the materials are on backorder. No estimate on when they'll be available again. How the gently caress do you JUST find our that materials you need to install TOMORROW are on backorder and not available?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Omne posted:

loving hell...

Our fence was scheduled for installation tomorrow. They just called and cancelled the installation, saying they found out the materials are on backorder. No estimate on when they'll be available again. How the gently caress do you JUST find our that materials you need to install TOMORROW are on backorder and not available?

Well they ordered them this morning and

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Omne posted:

loving hell...

"If we wait another day we might get a better price"

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Having good business acumen and doing good work do not always go hand in hand. It's why I'm not self employed.
Plus I treat my work like, how would I do this if it were my house, and a lot of contractors prefer a more slap it in and go method. The 10% that complain can be placated later maybe if you don't just fold the business. The other 90% probably won't know enough to complain.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Inspection on the house I'm selling happened Saturday morning. I still haven't heard anything yet. That's a good sign, yeah?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Big Jesus posted:

Inspection on the house I'm selling happened Saturday morning. I still haven't heard anything yet. That's a good sign, yeah?

They have until the inspection objection deadline on your sales contract to say anything. You'd think if there were anything major on it they'd want to let you know ASAP, but the buyer may be having the "Are you willing to lose this house over X?" conversation with their realtor. They may still be waiting on the inspection report, too.

After that objection deadline you can breathe easier (before starting to freak out over the appraisal).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Big Jesus posted:

It's Monday. The potential buyers might not even have the completed report yet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ahh the first few cold days below freezing, where I am reminded my back door is drafty. I can see daylight through the jamb, and the gap is bigger than 1/4, maybe as big as 3/8" at the worst spots. Time to get serious about popping the trim and shimming it, and replacing the weather stripping while I'm at it. The worst part is it rubs at the top corner, I'm not sure how it got this way. It's acting like it sagged but the hinges look good. I guess for $20 more I can replace them too.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Omne posted:

loving hell...

Hahaha, good luck. Took me about four months to get all my vinyl fence materials.

What kind of fence are you putting in? My neighbors were able to get wood just fine, but vinyl and other materials have had a huge backlog between manufacturing shutdowns from covid and everyone being at home wanting to put fencing in.

If it’s any consolation I’m sure the installer is livid since they just lost a day of work too. Or they got a bigger and better contract and you’re on the backburner for when they have availability

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

My neighbors were able to get wood just fine

And they were still lucky to do so. All basic building materials have been a poo poo show due to just in time manufacturing with plants closing, transpo disruptions, and a bunch of bored people spending the money from the vacation they didn't get to take on remodeling because they've been stuck in their shitbox for so long that they absolutely hate that kitchen/bathroom/whatever now.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm trying to get a tiny run of fence installed in my back yard and the installer has had hogwire on backorder for a month. It's real dumb.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Motronic posted:

they've been stuck in their shitbox for so long that they absolutely hate that kitchen/bathroom/whatever now.

Please don't doxx me.

I am INCREDIBLY pleased with my newly painted basement floor however.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hahaha, good luck. Took me about four months to get all my vinyl fence materials.

What kind of fence are you putting in? My neighbors were able to get wood just fine, but vinyl and other materials have had a huge backlog between manufacturing shutdowns from covid and everyone being at home wanting to put fencing in.

If it’s any consolation I’m sure the installer is livid since they just lost a day of work too. Or they got a bigger and better contract and you’re on the backburner for when they have availability

That was my first thought, but our lot is much bigger than most homes in the area so our fence is way more expensive.

We are doing a vinyl privacy fence. Around here you can only do vinyl privacy, or black aluminum. So I guess their business is pretty much screwed for awhile...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Dave posted:

Please don't doxx me.

I am INCREDIBLY pleased with my newly painted basement floor however.

Pretty much my highest aspiration in life is to someday own a basement or other work space with a polished concrete floor.

I probably won't even do work in it for a few days. Just stand there and stare at it, mumbling contentedly, and sipping beer.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Aaaaand they backed out. From my real estate agent it sounds like they got cold feet and are probably looking for a new construction in the burbs instead. The only really bad thing on the inspection was high radon, which I already have a quote to get fixed for <1k. Oh well, thanks for wasting a week. Back on the market!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much my highest aspiration in life is to someday own a basement or other work space with a polished concrete floor.

I probably won't even do work in it for a few days. Just stand there and stare at it, mumbling contentedly, and sipping beer.

Can confirm I did this when I moved into a place with a basement. Not the polished concrete bit, just the stand there and stare at it contentedly bit.

The downside is I am still trying to work out how to water/dampproof it to make it more useable.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Omne posted:

That was my first thought, but our lot is much bigger than most homes in the area so our fence is way more expensive.

We are doing a vinyl privacy fence. Around here you can only do vinyl privacy, or black aluminum. So I guess their business is pretty much screwed for awhile...

Good news is that things are definitely getting better... I bought the last half in various trips and on the last two trips I was even able to get a handful of panels in stock at Menards.

I’m really liking my privacy fence, and only have one more bag of concrete to pour into a few final posts, and the gates to install after my driveway is poured.

Speaking of fencing issues, I kinda sorta got the survey problem resolved. Tl;dr I just popped up the problem markers and pounded them back into their original spot.

For reference, a surveyor working on a property two doors down decided they made a mistake in 2013 and then decided to take it upon themselves to move all my pins 1.5’ south without doing a new survey, just kinda eyeballing it. So now my new fence is encroaching on a lovely neighbor, and I’m restricted even more on an already tight driveway.

I spoke with a lawyer in town and found out that the next street over had a new survey that moved the property lines through someone’s living room. So, I’m not the only person with issues. The lawyer’s recommendation was to speak to the county engineer, and see if they could resurvey the lot. Likely the whole town’s plat needs reset.

However, the practical side of me has calmed down and realized that at this time, this is only an issue so far as I make it one. I have my 2013 survey showing I’m in the right, and all the approvals permits and paperwork, so if there is a disagreement down the road, I have what I need to fight it. Otherwise, I’m just going to get the driveway paved, and drop the issue. As far as I know, the lovely neighbor isn’t aware my pins were moved, and I don’t really see any good in getting the village or county involved and making this an issue.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Isn't moving survey markers a kind of big deal and not a thing you should be talking about online?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Isn't moving survey markers a kind of big deal and not a thing you should be talking about online?

Misdemeanor around here!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m really liking my privacy fence, and only have one more bag of concrete to pour into a few final posts, and the gates to install after my driveway is poured.

Dude, no. You're 1 property sale away from a new owner ripping up all your hard work because they did a survey and find that the pins are wrong. Worse, if the same surveyor who just move them comes out, they might be a bit more than curious as to why the pins they JUST fixed are in the wrong place, conveniently outside your fence and driveway.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I spoke with a lawyer in town and found out that the next street over had a new survey that moved the property lines through someone’s living room. So, I’m not the only person with issues. The lawyer’s recommendation was to speak to the county engineer, and see if they could resurvey the lot. Likely the whole town’s plat needs reset.

You might want to push for this. Sounds like someone hosed up way back and it might have some pretty serious fallout.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Y'all are downers. Keep your trap shut and if anyone asks shrug your shoulders and lawyer up. Probably wind up buying the strip from your neighbor as a settlement.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
"Hey did these stakes move?"
"Hmm, well looks like they are in the same position as this official survey I had done, as you can see right here. Do you have another official survey that says they are in the wrong place?"
"No"
"Oh, ok then, have a nice day"

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yup! That’s why I’m so unbelievably livid the guy just walked over, eyeballed things, ripped the survey markers out, and shuffled them over when he was paid to survey an entirely different property two houses down. All without notifying me, without putting in new markers, or anything. I don’t care if he was the same guy that put them in seven years ago, he can’t do that without a new certified survey. All I did was reset my vandalized and now void markers before pouring concrete over them.

I only found out what he was doing after the fact when I stepped outside and asked him what he was up to. After a long chat he said he hosed up, he’d never seen this happen before, and that his boss would be out to make things right. His boss basically came out, admitted fault, and offered to move a handful of my fence panels over or see if he could fix a deed omission for a few extra feet in the back from an vacated alley, neither of which I care about as I’ve already put the drat fence in and there’s not enough room to move the panels any closer to the house without sacrificing my ability to use it as a driveway to access a 60+ year old garage.

DaveSauce posted:

Misdemeanor around here!

Dude, no. You're 1 property sale away from a new owner ripping up all your hard work because they did a survey and find that the pins are wrong. Worse, if the same surveyor who just move them comes out, they might be a bit more than curious as to why the pins they JUST fixed are in the wrong place, conveniently outside your fence and driveway.

You might want to push for this. Sounds like someone hosed up way back and it might have some pretty serious fallout.

Likely. I think the guy based his survey on the curb of a nearby street, which was widened and repaved a few years ago. But there was no new survey done on my property before he eyeballed and moved the markers, nor was there even a survey on the adjoining property. If this does come to a head on down the line, I’ve got the original survey paperwork showing things are in the right spot and I did everything I could to verify stuff was right and get village approval etc before installing things. More than likely though, this is a much larger issue than my piddly plat, and it’s not going to be resolved anytime soon. After a lot of thinking about this I’m of the opinion that I’m better off not kicking the anthill and voluntarily stirring up trouble.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Umm.. you should very much kick the anthill on this.. someone hosed up big.. and then they hosed up big again.. tryign to hide what they did and not do it in any official capacity. you can't just dig up a survey marker and stick it somewhere.
If it is indeed a mistake now you're out your fence because it's not yours anymore.. also hope you can put a new fence up including whatever setback your town requires now and still get out of your car.

You literally spent whatever you did on your fence to improve your neighbors property unknowingly because some jackass moved your thing.
I'd def be talking to anyone I can about this up to and including a lawyer. ALso get as many pictures of where it was.. and where it is now.. preferably with a tape measure to identify how far it moved etc.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yup! That’s why I’m so unbelievably livid the guy just walked over, eyeballed things, ripped the survey markers out, and shuffled them over when he was paid to survey an entirely different property two houses down. All without notifying me, without putting in new markers, or anything. I don’t care if he was the same guy that put them in seven years ago, he can’t do that without a new certified survey. All I did was reset my vandalized and now void markers before pouring concrete over them.

I mean, surveyors are generally licensed by state boards. Pretty sure they're well within their rights (legally, ethically, and professionally) to move the markers as they see fit. This is literally their job.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Likely. I think the guy based his survey on the curb of a nearby street, which was widened and repaved a few years ago. But there was no new survey done on my property before he eyeballed and moved the markers, nor was there even a survey on the adjoining property. If this does come to a head on down the line, I’ve got the original survey paperwork showing things are in the right spot and I did everything I could to verify stuff was right and get village approval etc before installing things. More than likely though, this is a much larger issue than my piddly plat, and it’s not going to be resolved anytime soon. After a lot of thinking about this I’m of the opinion that I’m better off not kicking the anthill and voluntarily stirring up trouble.

I dunno, I get that, but still seems like something bigger is hosed up. I guess I feel like I'd rather know now, and that way there's a known person to pin the damage on (the surveyor, or more likely their insurance). If this comes up later on, they might be gone or nobody will remember who did it all, and the city might just say you're all hosed and on your own. Worst case, someone uses this against an individual later on, and someone gets screwed because they didn't know it's a widespread issue.

But chat with your lawyer again. They should know what the risks of leaving it alone are.

But drat dude don't tell anyone you moved the pins. Now not only are you guilty of that, but also of any damage that results (including removing your fence and freshly laid driveway), plus it severely weakens your position to try to get a legal easement on that space.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

The Big Jesus posted:

Aaaaand they backed out. From my real estate agent it sounds like they got cold feet and are probably looking for a new construction in the burbs instead. The only really bad thing on the inspection was high radon, which I already have a quote to get fixed for <1k. Oh well, thanks for wasting a week. Back on the market!

Update: got a new offer above asking within 24h of it going back on the market woop woop. Hopefully this one works out.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Managing contractors is super stressful. Currently trying to coordinate a ductless AC system install via a plumbing company with electricians who are simultaneously upgrading the service in the building from 60amp to 100amp. Except whoops, the HVAC company's engineer decides day before installation that he wants to have a meeting to look over things himself before they send out an install team. Uggghhhh

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Umm.. you should very much kick the anthill on this.. someone hosed up big.. and then they hosed up big again.. tryign to hide what they did and not do it in any official capacity. you can't just dig up a survey marker and stick it somewhere.
If it is indeed a mistake now you're out your fence because it's not yours anymore.. also hope you can put a new fence up including whatever setback your town requires now and still get out of your car.

You literally spent whatever you did on your fence to improve your neighbors property unknowingly because some jackass moved your thing.
I'd def be talking to anyone I can about this up to and including a lawyer. ALso get as many pictures of where it was.. and where it is now.. preferably with a tape measure to identify how far it moved etc.

I'd just like to mention here, because so many people felt the need to poo poo on my opinion in the house buying thread earlier: this is why you buy "enhanced" title insurance or buyer's title insurance - whichever its called in your area. It's literally a pay for it one time insurance policy for things exactly like this.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Motronic posted:

I'd just like to mention here, because so many people felt the need to poo poo on my opinion in the house buying thread earlier: this is why you buy "enhanced" title insurance or buyer's title insurance - whichever its called in your area. It's literally a pay for it one time insurance policy for things exactly like this.

Yeah, agreed. We got buyer's insurance on ours because it was a cheap hedge. At least compared to the value of the house and property.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Any suggestions or recommendations on ceiling fans with lights? Our living room one has died (or at least I hope that is it, because if it's wiring it is going to be a pain in the rear end) and we're looking to replace it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

joepinetree posted:

Any suggestions or recommendations on ceiling fans with lights? Our living room one has died (or at least I hope that is it, because if it's wiring it is going to be a pain in the rear end) and we're looking to replace it.

The number one suggestion if you want something quality is to go to a lighting store. Preferably one attached to an electrical supply house if you've got that.

If you just want a replacement go to a big box store and don't buy the most expensive or the cheapest.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Motronic posted:

Agreed. Although here in Oregon it it required that the seller pay for the buyer's policy so we have it on every residential deal automatically.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Academician Nomad posted:

Managing contractors is super stressful. Currently trying to coordinate a ductless AC system install via a plumbing company with electricians who are simultaneously upgrading the service in the building from 60amp to 100amp. Except whoops, the HVAC company's engineer decides day before installation that he wants to have a meeting to look over things himself before they send out an install team. Uggghhhh
That's why you hire a GC. Welcome to involuntary project management.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is replacing wired smoke/CO detectors an easy DIY task, or should I hire it out? The process seems straightforward, but the combination of electrical work and risk of an incorrectly installed system not catching a fire or carbon monoxide leak has me willing to pay an electrician.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is replacing wired smoke/CO detectors an easy DIY task, or should I hire it out? The process seems straightforward, but the combination of electrical work and risk of an incorrectly installed system not catching a fire or carbon monoxide leak has me willing to pay an electrician.

Replace them with the same brand and the sum total of the electrical work is unplugging/plugging them back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

The most dangerous part is getting up on a ladder. Get the ones with the 10 year integrated battery!