Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

To be clear, BLEED is not a realism mod, it doesn't add a bleeding condition or anything of the sort, just adds a very slight and brief DoT to hits (maybe even just hits that break DT). You're not getting one-hit killed, but getting swarmed by fiends with automatic weapons is actually dangerous. In exchange, the lighter, faster weapons get a big boost in usefulness. I wish there were something similar for PoE, honestly, because there's really no reason to take fast / lower pen weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

As someone who completed a full playthrough with all DLCs with BLEED a while back I can vouch for it. It's funny as hell when someone survives a laser blast only for them to die to laser burn a second later. DoT ftw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If someone made a Call of Chernobyl style New Vegas survival mod with the realistic weapon damage module it could be super fun but I doubt the engine could replicate the high tension jank of the Stalker series.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't pay enough attention when installing VNV mods and I installed one that changes a bunch of vanilla traits. I want the ones that affect your SPECIAL under certain conditions and it takes them away from me! And I can't just delete the mod because it got incorporated into a merged patch! I think I can just rebuild that merged patch without that mod included, right? I was going to go into FNVEdit and just copy all the vanilla perk data over to the mod but that looks like a lot of hassle comparatively, and possibly easy to mess up

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol. Don't follow modding guides

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I didn't pay enough attention when installing VNV mods and I installed one that changes a bunch of vanilla traits. I want the ones that affect your SPECIAL under certain conditions and it takes them away from me! And I can't just delete the mod because it got incorporated into a merged patch! I think I can just rebuild that merged patch without that mod included, right? I was going to go into FNVEdit and just copy all the vanilla perk data over to the mod but that looks like a lot of hassle comparatively, and possibly easy to mess up

Open the merge in fnvedit and delete the trait records. The next major revision is going to remove all merges for this reason

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Lol. Don't follow modding guides

You have a real weird fixation, pal.

Also yeah, that kind of stuff is easily fixable with FNVEdit, thankfully. I didn't like a bunch of stuff in JSawyer Ultimate (the .22 change to the Varmint Rifle) and Qolore Tweaks, so I just went ahead and removed that stuff.

Also removed the Camper trait from the Opposite Trait mod because, let's be honest, it's hilariously OP.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

latest version of new vegas reloaded has shadows and they look pretty darn good. interior shadows are still a glitchy wip but those can be disabled separately. there's also an ingame menu to toggle and edit various shader effects including the shadows. no perceivable performance loss either.

this is pretty glitchy but it does work!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
When the NVR shadows aren't flickering violently, they are really, really cool. I think one of the settings murders performance indoors however.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FWIW I streamed F:NV for 14 hours with Jsawyer, NVSE, and NVTF and I only had one crash/hang at the beginning of the second day of streaming, when I sat on the main menu for a long time and then loaded the game from Continue. I restarted and everything was fine. Otherwise I had no weird performance or crashes.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I run a few more of the stability mods but honestly I haven't had the game crash in years at this point. I think it helps that I'm not going crazy with visual or script heavy mods. New Vegas is in a really nice place nowadays.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Vanilla FNV at launch (on PC) was a stable, bug-free experience. :colbert:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It was surprisingly bug-free for me going from memory, with the exception of that one patch that made a bunch of enemies invincible for like a day. That was a trip. (Not as funny and enduring in people's memories as the one patch that made Skyrim's dragons fly backwards, though.)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There was a shipped bug in Vault 11 that caused one of the turrets in the "afterlife" portion to be aligned with Mr. House for some reason. So the first time I played the game his securitrons came after me loaded for bear as soon as I entered the Strip. I think I just started a new game, as House was my first end-game alignment.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

rope kid posted:

FWIW I streamed F:NV for 14 hours with Jsawyer, NVSE, and NVTF and I only had one crash/hang at the beginning of the second day of streaming, when I sat on the main menu for a long time and then loaded the game from Continue. I restarted and everything was fine. Otherwise I had no weird performance or crashes.

Did you ever get around to streaming with virgil Texas

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I did not, though I believe he showed up for part of the stream in the chat.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

rope kid posted:

did you have the 4gb patch? the stutter fix? i had to try a ton of stuff to get it not to crash on win10 and then the stutter bug would eat my lunch after a little bit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Stutter fix has been obsoleted by New Vegas Tick Fix and New Vegas Anti Crash as well as the Mod Limit Fix can help with stability.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

rope kid posted:

If you want to make the game as stable and bugfree as possible, just the "core" section of the Viva New Vegas guide is all fixes/stability and is really well put together. The only mod in core that isn't strictly a fix is the delay DLC mod which you can happily skip.

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/core-utilities.html

If you skip to "ini tweaks" within core and go from there it'll skip all the stuff about setting up modding tools you probably don't need.

I played 102hrs, timed out of curiosity, without a crash with a similar stability setup and much heavier engine load.

If you take the minimum away separately I'd echo 4GB patch and NVAC, and also New Vegas heap replacer which is excellent.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Mojave Straycats
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70220

quote:

This mod adds straycats all over the wasteland. They spawn in most settlements.
They are merely there for decoration, that is they don't do very much except
walking around and meowing, just like any cat would do. The cats are friendly
and you are not supposed to shoot them. If you do you will burn in purgatory
forever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I installed Project Nevada for some of the cool gameplay stuff but I don't want to deal with Needs.

But Needs will only "turn on" if I'm also playing on Hardcore, right? The mod won't effect the regular game in this regard?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I installed Project Nevada for some of the cool gameplay stuff but I don't want to deal with Needs.

But Needs will only "turn on" if I'm also playing on Hardcore, right? The mod won't effect the regular game in this regard?

One thing I remember PN changing in hardcore was that food and drink didn't heal and only restored primary needs which is total garbage and makes survival pointless and stimpacks solid gold.

Project Nevada is pretty old, buggy, and laggy by now and everything it does is better done by individual mods. It literally runs 20 scripts every frame, bloats your save like crazy, and a bunch of the stuff doesn't work or is, imo, total poo poo like a bunch of rebalance and the visors.

Dynamic Crosshair, Bullet Time, and Sprint

Grenade Hotkey

First-Person Visor Overlays

Enhanced Vision

Immersive Health Visuals

Explosive Entry

Immersive Primary Needs

Inventory Sorter

I strongly recommend jsawyer for rebalance, funnily enough dude knows what he's doing

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

One thing I remember PN changing in hardcore was that food and drink didn't heal and only restored primary needs which is total garbage and makes survival pointless and stimpacks solid gold.

Project Nevada is pretty old, buggy, and laggy by now and everything it does is better done by individual mods. It literally runs 20 scripts every frame, bloats your save like crazy, and a bunch of the stuff doesn't work or is, imo, total poo poo like a bunch of rebalance and the visors.

Grenade Hotkey

Enhanced Vision

Immersive Health Visuals

Explosive Entry

Immersive Primary Needs

Inventory Sorter

I strongly recommend jsawyer for rebalance, funnily enough dude knows what he's doing

Thank you for all that. I guess I could try jsawyer but I'm wondering if it will conflict with Arizona Slave Army? I got that to improve the Legion.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Stutter fix has been obsoleted by New Vegas Tick Fix and New Vegas Anti Crash as well as the Mod Limit Fix can help with stability.

Is there a way to remove Stutter Fix and use Tick Fix instead, or do I need to do a complete clean install?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for all that. I guess I could try jsawyer but I'm wondering if it will conflict with Arizona Slave Army? I got that to improve the Legion.

I was not familiar with Arizona Slave Army but it seems to be a pretty broad range of scattershot changes. You can open up FNVEdit and see the conflicts, of which there will be a LOT. I seems to edit everything from item stats to levelled lists and other random stuff. It'll conflict with a wide range of mods you might use, and the comments are all bugs and errors. I'd probably avoid it

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Is there a way to remove Stutter Fix and use Tick Fix instead, or do I need to do a complete clean install?

Pretty sure the stutter fix is just a couple of files in the NVSE folder, shouldn't be difficult to remove.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Just delete the couple of files related to Stutter Fix and install Tick Fix instead. No need to restart.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If anybody wants to spice up the variety of super mutant heads a little bit, this mod is pretty good, though I personally prefer the original Tabitha head with the glasses on, so I disabled bridget.nif and the base nightkin head in MO2: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70177

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BurritoJustice posted:

If you want to make the game as stable and bugfree as possible, just the "core" section of the Viva New Vegas guide is all fixes/stability and is really well put together. The only mod in core that isn't strictly a fix is the delay DLC mod which you can happily skip.
Thanks, but honestly the value proposition doesn't really seem that good. I lost, at best, 5 minutes from one crash in 14 hours. Even core VNV looks like it takes multiple hours to set up. If I were interested in doing more extensive modding, I'd go with VNV, but if time is ultimately what I'm trying to save, what I have seems like it has obviated the majority of the problems with minimal setup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My entire mod list (with the 4GB patch, of course) is:

MCM
JIP
JIP Companions
Nevada Skies
A Wasteland in Bloom
Cheat Terminal

And, aside from making the mistake a few times of alt+tabbing out which apparently starts a memory leak which will reliably crash the game a few minutes later, I've only had one crash in a couple hundred hours. I'm pretty sure that (apart from the alt+tab memory leak thing) the game is rock solid as-is and only becomes crashy as you add dozens of mods.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I believe the VNV page suggests an alt-tab fixer mod. I haven’t had any problems with memory leaks after installing it, and I’m alt tabbing constantly for quests.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, the difference in stability between my cherry-pick mass of mods from the OP and a VNV install is night and day. That's really the exceptional bit of it, that it's mod-heavy without being unstable.

I've added some Someguy mods and it's a little twitchy - at some point in my game the Recharger Rifle mod shut itself off - but it works fine and it's that Content I crave.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
A good chunk of the Core VNV installation isn't really needed unless you want a heavily customized experience, to be honest. To just get the game more stable and with less bugs, I'd honestly only arguably add WMIM and WMIM addendum because of its fixes to iron sight to what Rope Kid already installed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

Grenade Hotkey

Enhanced Vision

Immersive Health Visuals

Explosive Entry

Immersive Primary Needs

Inventory Sorter

Also to add on to Explosive Entry, there's a mod as well for breaking locks physically, with bonuses for having certain melee weapons equipped.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Orion Moreno Wild Wasteland Encounter
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70235

quote:

Josh Sawyer recently streamed a lovely F:NV playthrough on his twitch in which he explained a strange bug where Orion Moreno would spawn dead from the vertibird if he had been killed in the quest For Auld Lang Syne. I decided to create a much needed Wild Wasteland encounter.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Petition for ropekid to add some stream/dev memes to jsawyer as Wild Wasteland encounters please

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Trying out Buenos Fuentes, Good Springs conversion for the first time and it's pretty neat.

But what I really enjoyed was repop. wateland sending two Legion explorers walking through town like that's a thing for them to do so I splattered their heads with a shovel and ate them and their dogs.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Light My Flare has a toggle option for automatic weapon switch after throwing a flare so you equip your last equipped weapon. Forgot to turn it off and had completely forgotten about this funny bug that effects weapon models in 3rd person.

See it?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Pretty sure the stutter fix is just a couple of files in the NVSE folder, shouldn't be difficult to remove.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Just delete the couple of files related to Stutter Fix and install Tick Fix instead. No need to restart.

Thanks for this. I tried deleting the Stutter Fix file and added in Tick Fix and it works like a charm. Game runs much smoother now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Did a full read through of Viva New Vegas and at the section where they say to avoid Monster Mod and IWS.

"Don't tell me how to live my life."

https://i.imgur.com/0Z1Is3K.mp4

I won't stop adjusting MoMod and IWS till there are at least five Sand Lizards or some other monster jumping out at me on the way to Johnny.