Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Time to pull out this old chestnut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB5_BON_WqE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hayden Christensen is pretty drat great in the film Shattered Glass. In Star Wars he's very Star Warsy which is par for the course. I mean Star Wars even managed to make Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, and Adam Driver seem run of the mill and they are very much not run of the mill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've seen Ridley in two other films and she's not good. Maybe in 20 years she'll be good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Daisy Ridley was one of the only bright spots of Claire McCarthy's Ophelia which was otherwise not great. Though I'm biased because I'll take the worst Shakespeare adaptation or adjacent over the best of Star Wars every day of the week.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

They've announced some new casting for Stargirl s2. Nick Taraby will be playing Eclipso and Jonathan Cake as The Shade.

Love some Nick Taraby news. He was utterly wasted as Captain Boomerang in like 3 or so Arrowverse episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of goofy how often they brought in Spartacus alums for guest spots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

It was kind of goofy how often they brought in Spartacus alums for guest spots.

They all live in Vancouver!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Star Wars managed to make Natalie Portman seem bad, but it is remarkable how a good actress like Portman can absolutely turn it off when she doesn't care for the project.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

Star Wars managed to make Natalie Portman seem bad, but it is remarkable how a good actress like Portman can absolutely turn it off when she doesn't care for the project.

*coughing Thor coughing*

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Portman has a history of turning it off. But Liam Neeson for example even brings it in trash like Taken, Run All Night, or the Mark Felt movie. So it really shows how muted Star Wars seems to make even the best actors.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's because George Lucas is nortriously terrible at directing actors

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

It's because George Lucas is nortriously terrible at directing actors

Well he only directed three of the 10 films. And maybe the only people to escape that was maybe Harrison Ford or Bill Dee Williams? Perhaps the guy that played The Emperor though he went far over in the opposite direction of bland and muted.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh, if your argument is that movies like ESB, TLJ, Rogue One, hell even TFA are included then I'm just gonna stop paying attention now. I assumed you were talking about the prequels

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sorry let me rephrase.

The notoriously bad Book Of Henry that was Treverow's passion project, that is very insane was better than episode 9

But again I don't think "better than episode 9" is anywhere close to good enough to be given $100+ million dollars to make a movie when so few directors are given the chance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Well he only directed three of the 10 films. And maybe the only people to escape that was maybe Harrison Ford or Bill Dee Williams? Perhaps the guy that played The Emperor though he went far over in the opposite direction of bland and muted.

Harrison Ford is funny because if it's not Star Wars or Indiana Jones it's probably more likely than not he'll be pretty bad in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Harrison Ford is funny because if it's not Star Wars or Indiana Jones it's probably more likely than not he'll be pretty bad in it.

Not a big fan of Firewall I take it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Which movie is he usually regarded for acting chops? Witness?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The Fugitive

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For bad films I was thinking the Sabrina remake (not a single teen witch in the whole thing), The Lake House,, that one with Anne Heche. Air Force One and the Tom Clancy films are decent but he's no where near as good as he is in Star Wars, same with Blade Runner (yeah I said it).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

Daisy Ridley was one of the only bright spots of Claire McCarthy's Ophelia which was otherwise not great. Though I'm biased because I'll take the worst Shakespeare adaptation or adjacent over the best of Star Wars every day of the week.

She was pretty good in Ophelia!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Oh, if your argument is that movies like ESB, TLJ, Rogue One, hell even TFA are included then I'm just gonna stop paying attention now. I assumed you were talking about the prequels

ESB and R1 are the best Star Wars.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I hate to reverse my stance on Star Wars talk but isn't there a better thread than the comic book TV thread for everyone to post their new and exciting ways to poo poo on a perfectly good movie franchise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think due to the drought of MCU news people are starting to come up with wishlists, like today I saw "Emma Stone to be Spider-Gwen in Spider-Man 3!". A unspoken side effect of Covid-19, increase in the sharing of clickbait.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Andrew Garfield to play Thanos in Batman.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

I think due to the drought of MCU news people are starting to come up with wishlists, like today I saw "Emma Stone to be Spider-Gwen in Spider-Man 3!". A unspoken side effect of Covid-19, increase in the sharing of clickbait.

I don't know, my YouTube algorithm has me convinced that Carl Lumbly is playing Isaiah Bradley which would make sense with the theme of the American government choosing a blonde white guy as the Captain America they want as public face for propaganda purposes instead of the black man already in the fight.

It would also get us closer to Patriot which would make sense since we're getting Billy, Tommy, Cassie, Kate, and Kamala.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I did see some rumblings about Michael Keaton playing Bruce in an hbo max batman beyond series but I can't find the article that claims it was confirmed anymore.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kingtheninja posted:

I did see some rumblings about Michael Keaton playing Bruce in an hbo max batman beyond series but I can't find the article that claims it was confirmed anymore.

Him and Affleck are supposedly in the Flash movie but who knows if that will ever actually happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Flash movie has been in development hell for ages. It is definitely a believe it when I see it movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's that whole thing with Ezra Miller shoving that woman to the ground.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Snyder just got Leto for his movie so I don't think WB cares all that much

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

Snyder just got Leto for his movie so I don't think WB cares all that much

Also the whole Harry Potter franchise.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Leto back is the grossest comic movie news lately. That psycho cult leader needs to go away.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Leto back is the grossest comic movie news lately. That psycho cult leader needs to go away.

Yeah, after that... whatever it was in Suicide Squad and his self-indulgent "I'm an ACTOR" try hard in Blade Runner 2049, he's more of repellant than a draw to me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Leto is a fine actor and has been for a long time. He's a horrible person is the issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Leto is a fine actor and has been for a long time. He's a horrible person is the issue.

I'm trying to think of something I liked him in and I can't.

I guess when Ed Norton beat the poo poo out of him in Fight Club?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jared leto is a bad actor, a worse person and somehow even worse than both at being a musician

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

No but you see when someone is in a movie you don't like they must be bad at acting or phoning it in or whatever. Also the reverse is true according to this thread.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'm trying to think of something I liked him in and I can't.

I guess when Ed Norton beat the poo poo out of him in Fight Club?

Requiem For a Dream. Blade Runner 2049. The one he got nominated for a fuckin Oscar for, Dallas Buyers Club. He's a good actor. Even the issues with joker were not his fault, he didn't write the script, or design the costume. He's a terrible kid fucker though so who cares he still shouldn't be in it, but that's plenty reason without making stuff up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Requiem For a Dream. Blade Runner 2049. The one he got nominated for a fuckin Oscar for, Dallas Buyers Club. He's a good actor. Even the issues with joker were not his fault, he didn't write the script, or design the costume. He's a terrible kid fucker though so who cares he still shouldn't be in it, but that's plenty reason without making stuff up.

Hated the movie, thought he was lame in the movie, didn't see the movie but cis men playing transwomen in films contributes to violence against transwomen.

Also just loving lol at using an Oscar nomination as proof of quality.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Hated the movie, thought he was lame in the movie, didn't see the movie but cis men playing transwomen in films contributes to violence against transwomen.

Also just loving lol at using an Oscar nomination as proof of quality.

If you don't like Aronofsky you might as well be from the Moon, he was fine, this is true but still has nothing to do with his acting.