Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they had state run brothels back in the 14th century

after the full conversion to buddhism the buddhists tried to ban it and failed for about half a millenium

the modern incarnation starts after the economic depression of 1905-1915ish there. they were never colonized per se by the japanese in the second world war period but they had 'friendly' vaguely client stateish relations which included movement of japanese army through thai territory and export of 'services'

the UN forced them to make it illegal in 1960 but nobody gives a poo poo about enforcement

then this continued w americans during the vietnam war and so on

anyway i joke but this is the kind of factoids i come to this thread for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I swear I saw in this thread or another similar one someone posting a snippet from like a 16th century Chinese merchant that basically said, "Dude, you have to check out Siam. poo poo is wild."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I bet the PRC has state run brothels right now

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

SerCypher posted:

I don't think that's what I or others are saying.

I'm saying it's not like if you visit, you'll immediately be whisked into a van where your organs will be removed.

Obviously CCP is a terrible regime and very bad things are happening in China, if you visit and stick to the well trodden paths though it's unlikely you'll see any of it. Obviously not seeing it doesn't mean it's not there.

That might change over time though, so if you do want to see China, the window to do so is possibly closing.

that's exactly how it happens, immediately you get put into a van with blacked out windows and they do the removal surgery right there and then

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

hakimashou posted:

I bet the PRC has state run brothels right now

One of the major effects of anti-corruption campaigns is that high class brothels in big cities like Beijing had to close their doors because most of their income came from the state. if not state run, at least close-to-state-personnels run.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

go to the places where some poor peeps are, not shanghai hth

or have real convos w chinese peeps who arent westernized lol

yeah shanghai middle class peeps w a decent education are ok

what does "westernized" mean, sometimes in China it's the working class people who hasn't been washed down by the cruel state-run-captalism-let's-make-money-everything-else-can-wait system and be turned into an egoist like the majority of the middle class people in China. If you actually talked to some working class people, they're more authentic and says things as is about the government, unlike how the middle class is dreaming the "chinese dream" still and just ignores all the other stuff. In a way the "middle class people with a decent education" are just blood suckers of the "chinese peeps who aren't westernized"

I guess i am just pissed off at the implication that people who aren't "westernized" in China are bad people. I dont think that's fair.

feizhouxiongdi2 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 27, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

feizhouxiongdi2 posted:

what does "westernized" mean, sometimes in China it's the working class people who hasn't been washed down by the cruel state-run-captalism-let's-make-money-everything-else-can-wait system and be turned into an egoist like the majority of the middle class people in China. If you actually talked to some working class people, they're more authentic and says things as is about the government, unlike how the middle class is dreaming the "chinese dream" still and just ignores all the other stuff. In a way the "middle class people with a decent education" are just blood suckers of the "chinese peeps who aren't westernized"

I guess i am just pissed off at the implication that people who aren't "westernized" in China are bad people. I dont think that's fair.

ok inasmuch as they like, poo poo in toilets and don't spit in the street and will return your wallet. everyone's poo poo politically when you talk to em but you don't talk politics with strangers in prc. I have a lot less faith in working class prc peeps than you do but fine

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

ok inasmuch as they like, poo poo in toilets and don't spit in the street and will return your wallet. everyone's poo poo politically when you talk to em but you don't talk politics with strangers in prc. I have a lot less faith in working class prc peeps than you do but fine

Idk those are exclusively “western” ideas of how someone should behave. But sure I can agree it’s easier to interact with people like that. I still have more faith in Chinese working class people tho.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i dunno, they poo poo in toilets in japan. toilets are cool and good

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

toilets are cool and good

:wrong:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Are we on toilet chat? Traditional Thai toilets are the worst. They're an elevated squatty potty, but usually aren't hooked up to a flushing mechanism. Instead, you have to ladle water out of bucket to manually flush.

The sweet spot for public toilets is anything equivalent to a grocery store food court or strip mall. Most of those have moved to western style toilets, but they usually have a traditional squatter along the row. Anything nicer than that, and the designers feel like they're too high class to include a bum gun.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
There's a current controversy in South Korea about China celebrating its involvement in the Korean war, but I don't really get what the controversy is about. The stuff I read was either badly written or badly translated from korean. Someone mentioned "revisionism", but from the material I gathered it's just China saying they supported the North? So the controversy is that they celebrate helping the North? Is that it?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always assume “westernized” to mean more western style “unharmonious” debate. People willing to critique the current standards even if it makes people upset. Never really tied it to hygiene. I live in the Midwest and lots of people still spit in public. Not considered high-class, but then, neither are they.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

busalover posted:

There's a current controversy in South Korea about China celebrating its involvement in the Korean war, but I don't really get what the controversy is about. The stuff I read was either badly written or badly translated from korean. Someone mentioned "revisionism", but from the material I gathered it's just China saying they supported the North? So the controversy is that they celebrate helping the North? Is that it?

i can translate any korean links if you have any

i dont see any top line dealios on naver or daum or my usual korean boards

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

feizhouxiongdi2 posted:

So you're saying that if there is hope, it lies with the Proles?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

i can translate any korean links if you have any

i dont see any top line dealios on naver or daum or my usual korean boards

It revolves around these chinese posts made on weibo. they got re-tweeted (re-weibo'd?) by chinese performers active in Korea, so people want to get them banned from Korea etc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
these are translated from chinese to korean already but yeah, the translation is just patriotic dipshit stuff basically. fine grained translation incoming

first image is in chinese, which im not good enough to give translations in

second image, from one Meng Meichi

"remembering our glorious victory and honoring the heroes that brought us peace! #in memory of the 70th anniversary of the foreign expeditionary volunteer aid force for the korean american war"

replying to cctv weibo saying:

"we will post this to all weibo! to all volunteers! honoring the heroes! cheerfully and happily they crossed the yalu river! today we gather the strength of 1.4 billion #in rememberance of the volunteer force of the korean american war 70th anniversary #advancing into korea we remember the glorious victory! families and the nation, remember these brave volunteers eternally!"

third image, one Chung Xiao

"remember history and honor the heroes! #in memory of the 70th anniversary of the foreign expeditionary volunteer aid force for the korean american war"

replying to the peoples daily weibo acct:

"#197653 we will always remember this number! today we begin the conference to commemmorate the chinese volunteers who went to a foreign land 70 years ago to fight the americans and save korea. we remember the 19763 people who laid down their lives to resist american aggression and aid korea and post them on weibo. we remember history and always look for peace!"

chinese being what it is, chinese hashtags can be big fuckers. number typo is there in the translation and it looks like a halfassed machine translation.

I guess a revisionist thing could be no mention of, like, the korean split being a thing, can't even see it in the chinese. the prc has claimed since literally the war that the prc army was a buncha volunteers during the war, which is not so much revisionist as bullshit from day 1, it was maos orders

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 27, 2020

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Thanks a lot. I can see how expressing support for those propaganda posts can lead to some "concern", when you're working in South Korea. Otoh I'm guessing they're left without a choice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ok, they seem to be kpop people. you can explain this by kpop people being loving nuts, korean ethnicity or otherwise. kpop watchers, kpop singers, kpop execs, whatever

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 27, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

Are we on toilet chat? Traditional Thai toilets are the worst. They're an elevated squatty potty, but usually aren't hooked up to a flushing mechanism. Instead, you have to ladle water out of bucket to manually flush.

When I was going around India all the rest stops were like this. I started thinking this was like the mystical German poop shelf, giving you time to admire your glorious dookie before you you give it a cold shower.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The years I lived in China my experiences with 'working class' chinese people from i guess the bottom being motuolo drivers and waiters and waitresses, night club employees, all kinds of drunks at restaurants and night clubs, drug dealers and lovely local 'black society' kids, restaurant cooks, adult students, college students, artists and college professors and whoever else I knew was almost without exception good. Warm fun friendly smart people.

I left my wallet in a taxi and with the help of a friend called the taxi company and they had it at their office outside of town the next day for me. I left my cell phone in a taxi once and had my friend call it and offer the guy 100rmb to bring it back and he did.

This was also like 10 years ago or more when china was better and also it was guangdong which is the best kind of china though.

Only time i ever had a problem with a motuolo dude he wasnt even a real motuolo dude he was some fat boogie gently caress on a fancy blue motorcycle (all true motualo drove RED haojue motorcycles) pretending to be one or some poo poo and he tried to charge me like 10x the motuolo rate and i blew up on him and I think getting cursed at in chinese by the foreigner in the middle of a busy street fulfilled his "lol im gonna pretend to be a motorcycle taxi to gently caress with the foreigner" novelty quota for the day. I dont speak chinese very well, but the words came to me in the moment.

I think i bought two lovely computer microphones from the same lovely electronics store around the corner from where I lived, and both broke, and when I went to buy a 3rd one they tried to super overcharge me and I yelled at them too.

But aside from those two noteworthy exceptions I didnt really have an issue with people being lovely or trying to rip me off.

A bum grabbed my travelling companion in Nanjing and tried to claim she was his sister and wanted money from us but a cop came and ran him off. "Safest City in China" my rear end.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 27, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think korean peeps get treated different than white peeps or whatever other kind of foreigner you are

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

re toilet chat: I have shat in public toilets in China, (Chengdu, Fuzhou and Jian'ou), and in India, (Bangalore and Chennai), and can happily say that the Chinese ones were worse.

I would say it was the lack of doors, and the fact that the Indian ones get hosed down every once in a while that tipped China over the edge though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i am not a public toilet, so i cannot comment

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Jeoh posted:

i am not a public toilet, so i cannot comment

Nice try.

Now open up your lid. Daddy’s ready.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lol: The guy who murdered his girlfriend that sparked the protests in Hong Kong still can't get a visa to go to Taiwan.

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/10/23/hong-kong-murder-suspect-cant-get-visa-to-return-to-taiwan-to-face-justice-says-priest/

:ughh:. The guy has repeatedly stated his guilt and has no problem going back to Taiwan to face the music. Like, who is he going to surrender to? He can't leave the country. Nothing to do no matter how upset or what you offer.

quote:

Poon’s mother released an audio recording on Thursday, saying she would not offer mitigation testimony for Chan if he fails to surrender himself by Friday midnight.

“It has been almost a year since Chan Tong-kai was released from jail. I am upset that justice has not yet been secured for my daughter,” she said, adding it was difficult to estimate the possibility of Chan actually heading to Taiwan.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

You implying it's possible for people to have agency and there are things in the world that aren't the direct result of Americans forcing it on them? :thunk:

Is there a cognate for "white savior", but it's for the condescending outlook of certain kinds of westerners that other cultures were Edenic paradises until the ghost people with big noses came?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dont Touch ME posted:

Is there a cognate for "white savior", but it's for the condescending outlook of certain kinds of westerners that other cultures were Edenic paradises until the ghost people with big noses came?

Not just Edenic paradises, but also places with a present-day Tumblr user's views on gender, sexual preference, race, and economics.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I can't blame some folks for not getting their head around the twisted ways that colonialism hosed up most of the non-Western globe, while also not shuttign their eyes to the ways the "natives" were human beings to begin with so of course they got up to all kinds of hosed up poo poo before whitey rolled up and started carting all the wealth home while loving things up for the locals. History is hard and full of disappointingly human stories of injustice and unfairness, for many people it's just so much easier to either say "the colonisers did nothing wrong, look at those railroads they left!!" or "Western Imperialism is to blame for all the world's evils, inc. the evils present before the colonial times rolled along because they were capitalism's fault somehow." The world is just so full of stuff and stories, both good and bad, I guess.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I've been trying to get into audiobooks and fiction about other cultures' experiences, so I got one one called Bestiary where the description said it was about Taiwanese Americans and a daughter finding out she's gay and also turning into a tiger and learning her family's experiences in the home land. Sounded cool, but I listened to it everyone in the book pissed themselves constantly and it was weird.
They had a neighbor from China with a dim sum restaurant that was the most popular in town until it was discovered that his secret sauce ingredient was poop (does not specify human or animal) and he went out of business not for unsanitary reasons but because all the other Chinese restaurants in town ripped off his recipe and stole his business so he had to go back to China.
There was a cool chapter about the main girl's great grandfather or something being a gay pirate tho that was cool.

Desperate for better China and China-adjacent fiction recommendations with less pee and poop please

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Dont Touch ME posted:

Oikophobe never really took off, but it does encapsulate a fair amount of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This guy's videos are generally pretty dumb but this one was interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06n14TVzKXM

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dont Touch ME posted:

Do you mean like "noble savage", but instead of referring to an individual, it refers to the culture?

Maybe "idealized exoticism"?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the tablua rasa lol

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do you mean like "noble savage", but instead of referring to an individual, it refers to the culture?

Maybe "idealized exoticism"?

In the case of East Asia it's straight up orientalism.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fojar38 posted:

In the case of East Asia it's straight up orientalism.

I mean, if it's anywhere that isn't the Occident it's technically orientalism.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
It doesn't help that modern leftism still can't seem to properly move on from Marx who was extremely guilty of this sort of infantilization of non-Europeans

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Fojar38 posted:

It doesn't help that modern leftism still can't seem to properly move on from Marx who was extremely guilty of this sort of infantilization of non-Europeans

lol

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

yeah in the beginning marx and engels definitely were guilty of this, but unlike tankies they learned from their mistakes (especially regarding algeria and india). compare marx's writings on colonialism in capital to his writings in the 40s / early 50s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The intentional confusion about words is insane on main street USA. Forget Marx, sod all people in the US knows what the hell Communism or authoritarianism is. Communist China really?? Hell, people don't even understand what government is *froth at the mouth taxes is theft*. You got left leaning doctors poo poo themselves thinking they are undervalued or not paid under UHC completely misunderstands the economics of UHC that healthcare classed as a "Right" means either "Unlimited" care where you're worked to death or third world poo poo hole. Twitter. On and on and on.

If you can't agree on the basic terms and ideas it's impossible to discuss anything.
---
In some good news, senators are calling the Uighur genocide a genocide.

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/10/28/china-slams-us-as-senators-accuse-beijing-of-genocide-against-xinjiang-muslim-minority/

Don't bother reading the article pass Pompeo, it's all the usual CCP NAZI BS.
---
:wtf:

Pasketti posted:

I've been trying to get into audiobooks and fiction about other cultures' experiences, so I got one one called Bestiary where the description said it was about Taiwanese Americans and a daughter finding out she's gay and also turning into a tiger and learning her family's experiences in the home land. Sounded cool, but I listened to it everyone in the book pissed themselves constantly and it was weird.
They had a neighbor from China with a dim sum restaurant that was the most popular in town until it was discovered that his secret sauce ingredient was poop (does not specify human or animal) and he went out of business not for unsanitary reasons but because all the other Chinese restaurants in town ripped off his recipe and stole his business so he had to go back to China.
There was a cool chapter about the main girl's great grandfather or something being a gay pirate tho that was cool.

Desperate for better China and China-adjacent fiction recommendations with less pee and poop please

Like, I don't even.