Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Random Stranger posted:

How am I just finding out that there was a Savage Dragon Saturday morning cartoon?

I mean other than not caring about Savage Dragon and being what legally passes as an adult when it aired.

Was it as awful as the WildC.A.T.s cartoon?

It is streaming on peacock if you would like to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm reserving judgement on the Warhammer comic and I've been pretty disappointed by the Ultraman comic, but contents aside they're really knocking it out of the park with these covers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Random Stranger posted:

How am I just finding out that there was a Savage Dragon Saturday morning cartoon?

I mean other than not caring about Savage Dragon and being what legally passes as an adult when it aired.

Was it as awful as the WildC.A.T.s cartoon?

What's even wilder is that the Savage Dragon cartoon had an indirect* crossover with the cartoons that Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Wing Commander had running at the time as well since they were all airing on the same network

*indirect in that the shows didn't cross over directly(probably would have been a legal nightmare) but instead a new character created for the event the "Warrior King" would cross over into each show's universe for it's part of the event

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's the deal with Warhammer 40k history anyway?

Some guy calls himself the Emperor of Man and unites humanity but then Mordred some douche clone vat kid gets corrupted by Chaos Energy Cthulus, kills the emperor and dies.

But then they keep the emperor's braindead body hooked up to a golden life support chair for 6 millennia while humankind become exosquad ridden and get into unwinnable wars with goblins, terminators, space-elves and AlienBroods?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

What's the deal with Warhammer 40k history anyway?

Some guy calls himself the Emperor of Man and unites humanity but then Mordred some douche clone vat kid gets corrupted by Chaos Energy Cthulus, kills the emperor and dies.

But then they keep the emperor's braindead body hooked up to a golden life support chair for 6 millennia while humankind become exosquad ridden and get into unwinnable wars with goblins, terminators, space-elves and AlienBroods?

Yeah basically.

Although technically the Emperor isn't braindead, it's his body that's hosed up. They need to keep it just alive enough to keep his soul in place because the light of the Emperor's soul is how human ships navigate the Warp, the parallel dimension of insanity and demons that allows for faster than light travel. If you've ever seen Event Horizon, it's based off Warhammer 40k.

Also it's ten millennia, not six, the Horus Heresy occurred in the 31st millennium

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also the chair is kind of hosed up and failing and nobody knows how to fix it or what's going to happen when it finally breaks for good.

Also the Orks are basically fungus grown soccer hooligans and technology only works because they believe it should.

Also here's an ongoing LP of Dawn of War 1: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943548 the game is one of the best places to get a start on the franchise.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please welcome JordanKai, former mod of LP and current frequent BSS poster, as your newest mod of BSS!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh no

uh i mean yay hello welcome!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hope you survive the experience!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hi everyone! :grin:

e: Noooo, that was supposed to be this emoji --> :D. I thought the code for it was : grin:.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 23, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Well this loving sucks.

https://twitter.com/Remender/status/1319371051344695297?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

Please welcome JordanKai, former mod of LP and current frequent BSS poster, as your newest mod of BSS!

Hope you survive--

How Wonderful! posted:

Hope you survive the experience!

GOD drat IT!

[quickly checks other comics for witty person joining the team line...]

Uh... Metal Men something something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Welcome new mod! You better have good puns.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This loving sucks. I'm so sorry for him and his family. Hopefully she makes it through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1320177390715285504?s=20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Reading through T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents since it's technically Public Domain(well the original Tower Comics issues are, the characters themselves are more complicated in that regard) and it's a shame that it never really caught on either in it's original run or in the several revival attempts over the years, cause they're fun not-so-little comics

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

drrockso20 posted:

Reading through T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents since it's technically Public Domain(well the original Tower Comics issues are, the characters themselves are more complicated in that regard) and it's a shame that it never really caught on either in it's original run or in the several revival attempts over the years, cause they're fun not-so-little comics

What are some of your impressions? I've been intrigued by those since I read an essay about the series but I haven't really sought them out yet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

What are some of your impressions? I've been intrigued by those since I read an essay about the series but I haven't really sought them out yet.

It's an interesting blend of aspects that are oddly dated for the era it was published(it's format is closer to how comics were in the Golden Age, and a lot of aspects of it's writing are more early Silver Age than you'd expect for comics that were made in the mid to late 60's) and also doing some things that were very new for the genre, like for our heroes being such is their jobs and not just something they do out of being good guys(though they generally are morally upstanding sorts anyways), being surprisingly limited in their powers(Dynamo has a time limit to his powers and often gets his rear end kicked and/or loses his power belt, pretty much every story NoMan is involved in has him lose at least one of his android bodies, Lightning's super speed has adverse effects on his health), and notably having some of the first hero deaths of the Silver Age(not counting flash back stuff like Bucky that is)

Also got a link to that essay?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I believe the essay is by Chris Offutt in the book "Give Our Regards to the Atomsmashers!" It's a decent book, good variety of topics. His essay mostly focused on NoMan, if I remember correctly, but it's been awhile since I read it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Video essay about Gaines vs Wertham and the Senate Sub Committee

https://youtu.be/pu6b5ZRAAfQ

Absolutely worth a look. One quibble I have is the content producer sorta rolling his eyes at the idea that there's lesbian and BDSM subtext in Wonder Woman when Bill Marston absolutely wrote it to be interpreted as such.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 26, 2020

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Video essay about Gaines vs Wertham and the Senate Sub Committee

https://youtu.be/pu6b5ZRAAfQ

Absolutely worth a look. One quibble I have is the content producer sorta rolling his eyes at the idea that there's lesbian and BDSM subtext in Wonder Woman when Bill Marston absolutely wrote it to be interpreted as such.
I would definitely argue there’s no lesbian/poly/bdsm subtext.

That’s just text.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ah, yes. "Loving submission."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Ah, yes. "Loving submission."

I assume you're referring to Marston here?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, but it's quite amazing and completely insane. It's not really related to comics but I think it warrants a look. I took the 3D tour and legit got lost.

I was told in the other thread there was potentially some NSFW stuff in there but good luck finding it.

https://twitter.com/KenPlume/status/1320785931385872391

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I found the bathtub, as I was told to, but I wish I hadn't.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If it's the blue bathtub that's attached to the NSFW room.

Navigation was going ok until I entered the main DVD room, that's where things got wild.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, but it's quite amazing and completely insane. It's not really related to comics but I think it warrants a look. I took the 3D tour and legit got lost.

I was told in the other thread there was potentially some NSFW stuff in there but good luck finding it.

https://twitter.com/KenPlume/status/1320785931385872391

https://twitter.com/kwmurphy/status/1320799385521967104

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I live literally 7 miles from that house....

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like when you explore the upstairs which is small then head downstairs and it goes on forever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Does BSS have a manga thread? I do not want to go into adwtr to talk about how I do not like goblin slayers under age sex resurrection spell.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Does BSS have a manga thread? I do not want to go into adwtr to talk about how I do not like goblin slayers under age sex resurrection spell.

Wut

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

I prefer you not talk about whatever that is at any time in any place.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

I prefer you not talk about whatever that is at any time in any place.

Ok. Don't read or watch goblin slayer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Does BSS have a manga thread" is the most mind blowing question I've ever seen anyone ask on this forum

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There's a Manga Megathread on the first page of BSS. It has a MANGA tag and everything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There is a manga thread, but it was started by ADTRW to recommend manga that isn't the stereotype of pedophile harem comics, do maybe don't bring it up there either.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

There's a Manga Megathread on the first page of BSS. It has a MANGA tag and everything.

Thanks! Do not read or watch Goblim Slayer.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

The purpose of the manga thread is explicitly for people who know a lot about manga to recommend cool and good ones to people who don't, it's not really meant for people to come in and talk poo poo about unrelated things.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Well I feel very silly for being so glib about something that was totally legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

I like when you explore the upstairs which is small then head downstairs and it goes on forever.

House of Leaves ARG going in some interesting directions.