Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wow, that physical keyboard design is terrible haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I wonder how the 15-year-old kernel developer for the XDA phone is going to handle android auto compatibility and bluetooth issues.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm sure it's got great support!

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/1321099399196540931?s=19

:thunk:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
My pixel shipped today and I have a fun Google story about it.

I clicked on the tracking number they gave me associated with my shipment and it tells me that the item has been delivered as of September 14 to Windsor, ON (I'm in SK).

Which is really funny, because I didn't place the order until September 30.

So I have a time and space-traveling pixel maybe coming my way.

Edit: Looking again, Google has my information right, so I have no idea what this tracking number they sent me is for. Should I contact support?

Vasler fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 27, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khablam posted:

Their inconsistent-to-non-existent support for the phones was just something you had to accept when they were the only non-chinaphone in town.
Since then, nokia have entered the market with Android One devices and Samsung's A-series have gone from turgid messes to competent budget phones.
Sony have their L4 too, but I think it's in very limited markets.

Hmm, maybe if the Pixel 4a gets discounted in Black Friday stuff I'll just go ahead and aim for that tier, phones usually have good discounts that time of year right

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vasler posted:

I clicked on the tracking number they gave me associated with my shipment and it tells me that the item has been delivered as of September 14 to Windsor, ON (I'm in SK).

Same thing happened to me. My tracking number is from 2019 and delivered to Toronto lol (I'm in BC). I think there's a glitch on Google's side.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same thing happened to me. My tracking number is from 2019 and delivered to Toronto lol (I'm in BC). I think there's a glitch on Google's side.

poo poo, has Google broken the space time continuum? :ohdear:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I've gotten MyChoice notifications from UPS because someone typoed the name or tracking number.

It happens.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vasler posted:

Edit: Looking again, Google has my information right, so I have no idea what this tracking number they sent me is for. Should I contact support?

As someone who answers those emails for another company, please don't. They know and have a zillion other people raging at them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Uthor posted:

They discontinued the Reality app and replaced it with something worse.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Yearlong report with my S20+: it's good. The battery, screen, and performance have been great. Let's go S21.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CoolRanch posted:

Yearlong report with my S20+: it's good. The battery, screen, and performance have been great. Let's go S21.

How's the 1440p@60 vs 1080p@120? Does the resolution hit and non-native scaling actually matter?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Matter? Depends. Can you see it? Absolutely.

I can use a 6.78" OnePlus screen at full res and 120 hz back to back with a 6.9" Samsung 120hz panel at HD resolution and the difference in sharpness is very plain (I mean, I have both devices so it's easy for me to compare.)

Samsung skimping out on the hardware driving the panel is one of the biggest eyebrow raising things for this generation.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

DrDork posted:

How's the 1440p@60 vs 1080p@120? Does the resolution hit and non-native scaling actually matter?

I strictly stick to 120hz unless I'm going to be a day without charging. I didn't notice much of a resolution difference when I've tried them back to back whereas the extra fps was game changing.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Samsung skimping out on the hardware driving the panel is one of the biggest eyebrow raising things for this generation.

My understanding is the Exynos version can't handle it, even though the Snapdragon version can, so they're keeping the feature turned off for both so that the non-US markets don't scream.

Disappointing to hear that the difference is quite noticeable, but I guess I'd be comparing it against the 1080p-only P5, so that might just be the way it is for me. I'd love a OP8 Pro / T, but neither are coming to Verizon (I mean they kinda work, but no 5G).

In fact, I'm not sure there is a 1440@120Hz Verizon phone right now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

grack posted:

They discontinued the Reality app and replaced it with something worse.

Then they killed Daydream.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Do they say that it's an Android phone anywhere? If they stick with LineageOS branding and don't mention Android anywhere at all, then you can ship whatever you want without Google Play services.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

No, just sunsetting it. It's going to be replaced by YouTube Continuum, which you're going to love. Unfortunately it doesn't have feature parity with the outgoing time-space continuum yet. For instance, they haven't implemented causality, but you can transfer your reality now to YouTube Continuum which includes all of your likes and consequences. Consider upgrading to YouTube Continuum Red for no ads!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

No, just sunsetting it. It's going to be replaced by YouTube Continuum, which you're going to love. Unfortunately it doesn't have feature parity with the outgoing time-space continuum yet. For instance, they haven't implemented causality, but you can transfer your reality now to YouTube Continuum which includes all of your likes and consequences. Consider upgrading to YouTube Continuum Red for no ads!

Lol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Do they say that it's an Android phone anywhere? If they stick with LineageOS branding and don't mention Android anywhere at all, then you can ship whatever you want without Google Play services.

They say it supports Android 9, as well as LineageOS. Not sure how much legal wiggle room that gives them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DrDork posted:

My understanding is the Exynos version can't handle it, even though the Snapdragon version can, so they're keeping the feature turned off for both so that the non-US markets don't scream.

From what I've read, the fault is with the display output. The interface isn't high enough bandwidth to run with both.

Now, maybe they went cheaper with that part because the Exynos couldn't handle it so they didn't want to create further disparity in the models, but to my knowledge they are all physically incapable of doing it due to the interface.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Time for a mini review no one asked for: I replaced my OG Pixel XL with a Surface Duo recently. The form factor of the duo is basically what I've wanted since phones were a thing and the duo seems to be the first real competent swing at it. I kinda knew going into it that the software was gonna make or break this device, and that early reviewers were pretty luke warm on said software, that said...

Hardware / Feel: It feels great to hold. It's thin, but has adequate heft. The hinge is fantastic and basically does exactly what you want it to - it's definitely a standout piece on the device. I don't think the camera is as bad as a lot of reviewers initially said, but that might be due to software differences. It's not as good as a Pixel or Iphone's camera, but it's very competent for just normal photos. If you want that cool boca effect though that something with a whole camera array delivers, then...rip you. This camera doesn't really do that, or at least it doesn't do that as well. My camera needs are light and I don't really care so this is great for my use case.

Software - Apps: Office is...fine on this device. Outlook is probably the standout app for this device and if you live in Outlook, it's definitely a killer app. Excel, Word, etc. are fine. They are better, but not remarkably so. Notes I bet is pretty cool with the pen, but I don't have the pen, so I can't speak to that directly. A bunch of trash is installed by default that you can not easily remove that you may or may not want: Office, Linkedin, Edge, etc. It's stupid that I can't rid myself of them.

Software - OS: The big one -- Does this experience actually work? The answer before the October update: 'Mostly sorta kinda'. The answer as of time of writing: 'More so than previously. Still with some minor to moderate issues'. The biggest success I think is the multi-tasking nature of the device. Opening two apps and moving them around or operating on them independently is great. The device 100% delivers on that with very few complaints. Doing the magical thing where you open an app, flip the phone 90 degrees, get a keyboard to pop out, then stash the keyboard to open another app in its place and flip the phone 90 degrees again... The odds of this sequence working perfectly is probably under 50% and you kinda have to coerce functionality.

Right now, I think my biggest complaint with the OS software is in the flip functionality. If I'm operating in a vertical orientation and then set my phone down flat on my desk with one screen tilted up (like a little laptop), it still shows apps in the vertical orientation pretty much every time. I have to tilt the device another 20 degrees down, then set it on my desk, and I'll have it in the horizontal orientation then. It's a minor complaint all things considered, but it is one of the polish annoyances that reviewers talked about.

The UI still seems to go unresponsive for a second or two at a time. It happens more frequently when bouncing around apps and what not and it's a nontrivial annoyance.

Other software issues are relatively minor and work-arounds are easy.

Just to be super clear, some of these problems have plagued every phone I've used. Phones just seem to not be great at detecting when you actually want flip the display. Duo is not fixing that magically, but it also doesn't really do much worse than other phones I've used.

Overall: The good news is that the problems I have with this device are almost entirely in software. This is a patchable problem. Even today, I think the problems that exist are mostly minor and I'd still recommend the device if the dual screen nature of the device is compelling to you. I think the other immutable complaints like the Snapdragon 855 are unimportant - it's a fine SoC even though an 865 exists.

The device successfully delivers on a real multi-tasking experience with some minor jank in the software that will probably (hopefully) get addressed in the coming months. Even in it's current state, nothing is really a deal killer. The device is really cool for what it is and I think it's currently the best phone for me on the market.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 28, 2020

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Vasler posted:

When my Pixel 5 was dispatched a few weeks ago, the tracking number told me my parcel was delivered in January 2020 to a Mr Snoddengrass.

I contacted Carphone Warehouse and the rep kindly explained that DPD recycle their tracking numbers and that it would be updated after a few hours to reflect that I am neither Mr Snoddengrass nor in possession of my Pixel 5 yet.

Maybe something similar with you?

FogHelmut posted:

After mainly using Google branded phones for the last 10 years, I'm still somewhat ambivalent about the Pixel 5 I ordered. I just can't shake this feeling that I'm 2nd tier. I mean I can understand a lot of the reviewers wanting Google to make a complete iPhone dominator..

If it's any consolation, I have owned Pixels 1, 2 and 3, and the 5 is easily the best of the bunch. Others here have said that day-to-day performance matches much more expensive and highly-specced phones despite the lesser hardware present in the Pixel 5.

I can't speak to that, but the 5 is really snappy, buttery smooth and fluid to use and battery life is terrific. I worried that I maybe should have got a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE but I have zero regrets.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 28, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/27/pixel-5-afflicted-with-insomnia-when-paired-with-the-pixel-stand/

Pixel 5 has sleep issues when places on the Pixel Stand, should hopefully have an update sometime soon to fix it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pixel 5 🤝 me
sleep issues

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DrDork posted:

They say it supports Android 9, as well as LineageOS. Not sure how much legal wiggle room that gives them.

Oh, I think they might be in some trouble then!

There’s a reason Amazon calls their stuff FireOS.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fnL17TI0uM

Freeze...test. What.

What is this.

I like this YouTuber, his vids are fun. But this is weird.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
What, you never dropped your phone in the toilet and then turned off the heating and left for a week in the winter?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

What, you never dropped your phone in the toilet and then turned off the heating and left for a week in the winter?

Or stepped outside during a polar vortex in the midwest for 10 minutes lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When my Pixel 5 was dispatched a few weeks ago, the tracking number told me my parcel was delivered in January 2020 to a Mr Snoddengrass.

I contacted Carphone Warehouse and the rep kindly explained that DPD recycle their tracking numbers and that it would be updated after a few hours to reflect that I am neither Mr Snoddengrass nor in possession of my Pixel 5 yet.

Maybe something similar with you?

If it's any consolation, I have owned Pixels 1, 2 and 3, and the 5 is easily the best of the bunch. Others here have said that day-to-day performance matches much more expensive and highly-specced phones despite the lesser hardware present in the Pixel 5.

I can't speak to that, but the 5 is really snappy, buttery smooth and fluid to use and battery life is terrific. I worried that I maybe should have got a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE but I have zero regrets.

I'm just happy they finally gave it enough RAM. :unsmith:

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

My Pixel 5 is coming Monday! Upgrading from a Pixel 2, and this will be my biggest phone screen yet. Hope it's worth the wait.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've had my p5 for a week now and I absolutely love it.

Nice coming home from work a d it still have +50% battery left.

Coming from my S9+ which I had to bump down the screen res to get a day out of the battery after about y months-ish and stayed that way until I swapped over.

It's the perfect size and weight, super snappy and for me is just a great little phone.

The one funny bug I've found though is that at work, when driving in my van and it's connected to bluetooth I get random message notifications on the vans info screen, but not on my phone.

So I just keep on getting random messages from my wife and parents with no context from years ago.

It's like a time machine showing me what I was doing randomly at a certain point.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

100% thats information mistakenly taking a pitstop in your infotainment system while on its way to google

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/27/pixel-5-afflicted-with-insomnia-when-paired-with-the-pixel-stand/

Pixel 5 has sleep issues when places on the Pixel Stand, should hopefully have an update sometime soon to fix it.

Well that's confusing.

"Users are reporting that although the Pixel 5 display turns off when placed on a Pixel Stand at night with the "screen off when dark" option is enabled"

What is this "screen off when dark" option? And maybe I'm crazy but I have never liked 'adaptive' brightness on phones and vastly prefer to manage it myself. Dark theme all the time, always manually turn the brightness all the way down before bed and Night Light kicks on at 9PM. So hopefully whatever the gently caress this is won't be a problem for me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sab669 posted:

Well that's confusing.

"Users are reporting that although the Pixel 5 display turns off when placed on a Pixel Stand at night with the "screen off when dark" option is enabled"

What is this "screen off when dark" option? And maybe I'm crazy but I have never liked 'adaptive' brightness on phones and vastly prefer to manage it myself. Dark theme all the time, always manually turn the brightness all the way down before bed and Night Light kicks on at 9PM. So hopefully whatever the gently caress this is won't be a problem for me

it sleeps the phone after a few seconds on the dock if it isn't detecting light, it's been an option since the stand was released - dark as in "in the dark" not as in the theme option

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I knew it didn't refer to dark theme; I just meant to say that I'm an absolute control freak about the display settings in general :v:

Sounds like it shouldn't effect me though, I read for an hour in bed, turn the phone off, then put it on the stand instead of just putting it on the stand. Or if I do leave it on, my screen is already on the lowest brightness setting.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Sab669 posted:

Yea I knew it didn't refer to dark theme; I just meant to say that I'm an absolute control freak about the display settings in general :v:

Sounds like it shouldn't effect me though, I read for an hour in bed, turn the phone off, then put it on the stand instead of just putting it on the stand. Or if I do leave it on, my screen is already on the lowest brightness setting.

You might be the first person I've ever heard of who actually turns the phone off at night, and I kind of respect it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh I don't mean powered off. Let's not get crazy here. I just mean I turn off the display rather than throwing it on the stand and letting it "time out" on its own.

I leave it in Do Not Disturb 24/7 unless I'm expecting an important phone call, but it is my alarm clock so I can't outright shut it off.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

You might be the first person I've ever heard of who actually turns the phone off at night, and I kind of respect it.

You all need do not disturb scheduling turned on. When running my own business I made the mistake of using my personal phone. Had people text me as late as 2AM (not drugs). Setting up DND to automatically come on around when I go to bed til I get up has been a life changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The only problem I’ve run into with Do Not Disturb is that WhatsApp somehow ignores it, and notifies every time. I feel like I’ve checked every setting and can’t fix it, I just have to remember to snooze WhatsApp at bedtime.

edit: Could it be because I have WhatsApp contacts (family members) set as priority?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 28, 2020