Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Get closer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

That looks cool as hell, but why are there power lines going through those trees? I would hope that the trees grew into the power lines and they were neglected and the power company wasn't stupid enough to run power lines through existing trees.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ahh! at first I thought the sound was some sort of weather alarm.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

That looks cool as hell, but why are there power lines going through those trees? I would hope that the trees grew into the power lines and they were neglected and the power company wasn't stupid enough to run power lines through existing trees.

it's pretty common in some more forested places for trees to grow up underneath or near power lines. usually there are just too many trees to keep trimmed so it's less costly to just do repairs, and to focus your trimming efforts on important power lines or ones that are obviously at risk from a dead tree or limb

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was wondering this myself, so I went and checked their site - the gift cards are only for paying for flights, not buying food and drink.

About a foot and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdQPpiFDlA&t=77s

That's just a dust devil *rips away tree* :stare: Nevermind

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

mds2 posted:

Get closer!

I know, right? There was a massive ice storm when I was in high school and I remember as my family drove to a hotel watching the bursts of green light in the distance as all of the transformers exploded.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

luxury handset posted:

it's pretty common in some more forested places for trees to grow up underneath or near power lines. usually there are just too many trees to keep trimmed so it's less costly to just do repairs, and to focus your trimming efforts on important power lines or ones that are obviously at risk from a dead tree or limb

has anyone told the US that you can put powerlines underground?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Sure, and they do that in certain areas, but it’s a massive country and it’s far far cheaper to just repair it than change things over to buried lines.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

We do that. Then they explode underground instead.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

MisterOblivious posted:

The thead got moved out of GBS and all the people that wanted to talk about climbing and its selfish* risks stuck around. All the QCS concern trolls that flooded the thread with the "death pool" trying to prove how awful the thread is, to get the thread shut down every year, completely disappeared. It's almost like the entire reason people wanted to shut the thread down was caused by the very same people trying to shut down the thread! Weird, that.

*Beck Weathers' book is perhaps the most selfish and depressing book I've ever read, despite it being used to promote his pro-positivity speaking engagements.

I would be happy to have it back in GBS if someone makes a good op, that thread had great book and movie recommendations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/pans quickly left and right argh if only there were some way of getting all this in the shot at once!

also, lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ekuNNN posted:

Many places do, but it is very expensive. Throwing up a wooden pole and running some cables is a lot cheaper than digging trenches the whole length. A wealthy enough area will have underground cables. And then a storm happens and one of the cables fails, so Comcast just puts up two poles to string a cable across the road because they are too cheap to run new ones.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I would be happy to have it back in GBS if someone makes a good op, that thread had great book and movie recommendations.

If you're willing to probate a bunch of people. I don't think it matters how good the OP or the contents of the thread are. The last time an everest thread was made in GBS, it was immediately filled with two pages of GBS concern trolls saying it should be locked based off of the contents from an even older thread from years before.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Cojawfee posted:

Many places do, but it is very expensive. Throwing up a wooden pole and running some cables is a lot cheaper than digging trenches the whole length. A wealthy enough area will have underground cables. And then a storm happens and one of the cables fails, so Comcast just puts up two poles to string a cable across the road because they are too cheap to run new ones.

If you're willing to probate a bunch of people. I don't think it matters how good the OP or the contents of the thread are. The last time an everest thread was made in GBS, it was immediately filled with two pages of GBS concern trolls saying it should be locked based off of the contents from an even older thread from years before.

No issues probing for threadshitting.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

sinky posted:

Do the 3d walkthrough on this property to see a disgusting living area turn into an actual amazon resellers warehouse*. It is a cave of wonders :stonk:

*Someone got shot there recently, and the owners were recently arrested for selling stolen property

what the gently caress is this

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sing Along posted:

what the gently caress is this

One of the sights that Pinhead was going to show Kirsty.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Everest threads were killed for people speculating on the death count. It's macabre, but high altitude climbing kills people - constantly, and without malice.

I always enjoyed them, but I've got a fascination with the sport and mountains. I've read a bunch of books from people who have climbed it, and it's my hope that one day I'll get to trek the Annapurna trail and go through base camp.

But never climb Everest. The site has been climbed many times and is desecrated. I wish they could just shut the whole thing down but then Sherpas and their communities would suffer. :smith:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't it a huge hassle getting rights from a municipality to dig? Poles are usually there, so you just hook onto one.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Uthor posted:

Isn't it a huge hassle getting rights from a municipality to dig? Poles are usually there, so you just hook onto one.

If you can get right-of-way from the owner of the poles. One of the reasons wired utilities in the US have such crappy competition is because one or the other utility owns the poles and won't sell you the right-of-way to string your own cables on their poles.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jacob's Alder

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

High voltage underground cables, with their higher installation cost, much larger material usage, and eminent unrepairability are not actually that awesome.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Auckland_power_crisis

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This looks like something I wouldn't want to be within 500' of.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Uthor posted:

It varies a TON from place to place.

When I lived in New England, power outages were super common, even though I always lived in densely populated areas because I swear everything was above ground and the second it started icing up, the power would go out for a little while at least. Multi-hour outages were not uncommon and I went through two outages of more than 24 hours in as many years.

I'm back in rural Minnesota now and in more than a decade, I've had exactly one outage of more than an hour, and that includes years literally living in the middle of a cornfield. When I was a kid, we'd have a lot more outages, but then they went through a concerted effort to bury everything, because Minnesota ice storms do not gently caress around.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

it can be, if there's already existing infrastructure in the way

where i live, bedrock isn't too far below ground, and there's already underground storm drains and sewers (sometimes both at the same time) occupying the few feet between the surface and the rock. so, everything is on poles :shrug:

it's also worth pointing out that while above ground wires are easy to break, they are also easy to fix since you can very quickly find the problem and then get at the problem. both of these are a lot harder if everything is buried underground

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 27, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

New Daft Punk album sounding good

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i thought it was going to start playing a song.

also the classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34r6RGF2JLA

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I'm glad he had that helmet

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qivnohx8gE1r0uzl6.mp4

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Elviscat posted:

High voltage underground cables, with their higher installation cost, much larger material usage, and eminent unrepairability are not actually that awesome.

Oh man, I vaguely remember that (I was 8, and lived in Wellington at the time) so I didn't understand what was going on specifically but my parents were getting very emotive about it

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

loving Wizard bosses, take a 2 second break and they start hurling around fireballs.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Jacob's ladder chat reminds me of my last year in college making one out of a power cord, a microwave transformer, a wood block, and two pieces of welding rod with a few classmates. In retrospect that was very OSHA and our instructor probably shouldn't have encouraged us

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krinklechip posted:

Open question becomes will K2 and other peaks succumb to the same bullshit. I understand K2 is a _much_ harder climb, but rich people are really stupid when they're told they can't just do something through money (and in general, but hey.)
The thing with K2 is that it's not just hard, it also just kills at will, with little predictability. You can be the hottest of mountaineering poo poo or some dweeb with money who ran his first marathon a couple years ago and there's just no telling which one of you K2 will take.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

evil_bunnY posted:

The thing with K2 is that it's not just hard, it also just kills at will, with little predictability. You can be the hottest of mountaineering poo poo or some dweeb with money who ran his first marathon a couple years ago and there's just no telling which one of you K2 will take.

Sounds good.
Send in the rich ones first.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Bonus fun: up until the 70s and 80s one of the most common insulating solutions for high voltage cable was lead-encased kraft paper (the paper is soaked through with PCB)

https://electricenergyonline.com/energy/magazine/88/article/PILC-cable.htm

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/yTbDPfa.mp4

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That's some drat fine work.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

nutted but they keep succin

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The K2 story that always sticks with me is Peter Hillary's story about choosing to turn back just a few hundred meters below the summit - heading back to camp alone while a group of six other people were a bit of a ways ahead and pressing on towards the top, and the guy just next him decided to go a bit further and see how the weather was doing.

None of the other seven made it off the mountain alive.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jabor posted:

The K2 story that always sticks with me is Peter Hillary's story about choosing to turn back just a few hundred meters below the summit - heading back to camp alone while a group of six other people were a bit of a ways ahead and pressing on towards the top, and the guy just next him decided to go a bit further and see how the weather was doing.

None of the other seven made it off the mountain alive.

Isn't it more accurate to say none of them made it off the mountain at all? I thought they all got smashed off the ridges by insane winds and were never recovered.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
K2 is much more remote, and actually does require climbing skill. And people can only climb it in the height of the summer.

K2 is legit not a place I can find a reason to go. I just love my wife and kid too much to put them through the possibility likelihood of my death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

At 4:20 a.m. an Atlas rocket carrying America's first interplanetary spacecraft lifted away from Cape Canaveral, Florida. The Mariner mission was to fly past Venus and return data on the planet's atmosphere, magnetic field, charged particle environment and mass.

Mariner 1, the first of ten Mariner spacecraft, was based on the Ranger craft designed to gather data on the moon. It consisted of a hexagonal base, 1 meter across and a third of a meter thick, which contained the magnesium chassis housing electronics for experiments, communications, data encoding, computing, timing and attitude control, as well as the attitude control gas bottles and a rocket engine.

On top of the base was a tall pyramid-shaped mast on which the science experiments were mounted, which brought the total height of the spacecraft to 3 and a half meters. Attached to either side of the base were rectangular solar panel wings with a total span of 5 meters. Attached by an arm to one side of the base and extending below the spacecraft was a large directional dish antenna.

A major problem in the early 1950's was that liquid rocket engine ignition reliability was less than 50 percent. To confirm all engines were functioning correctly Atlas rockets had a unique arrangement referred to as a stage-and-a-half. Upon launch all three main engines, two boosters and one sustainer (and two small maneuvering rockets), are ignited and lift the rocket to an altitude of about 35 miles. At that point the outer boosters shut down and are jettisoned, while the central sustainer engine continues to run.

Previous missions had used basically the same launch system, so it was reasonably well-tested. The two Ranger probes had made it into orbit, but had been unable to stabilize themselves afterwards.

Mariner's Atlas-Agena rocket was aided by two radar systems, designed to monitor velocity (the Rate System) and distance/angle (the Track System) and to send the data to ground-based computers. By combining that data, the computers at Cape Canaveral helped the rocket maintain its trajectory.

Part of the problem involved in handling two separate radars was a ~40 millisecond delay between the two radars' reports. To correct for the timing the data was ran through a formula by the ground computer. Unfortunately, when that formula had been input onto the computer's punch cards an element called an overbar, ‾, was omitted. The overbar indicated that several values in the formula belonged together; leaving it out meant that a slightly different calculation would be made. The hyphen had been missing on previous Atlas flights but that portion of the code had not been needed.

Atlas vehicles flew on autopilot only during the initial booster phase, the guidance system would activate following booster cut-off to steer the sustainer engine.

When the rate signal received by the rocket became weak and noisy, the rocket lost the lock on its guidance source. The rate-beacon malfunction occurred 93 seconds after launch, when the booster phase was still in progress, and so did not produce an immediate effect.

This should not have been a fatal blow as this possibility had been foreseen; in the event guidance was lost the computer was supposed to reject spurious data and proceed on a stored program, which would probably have resulted in a successful launch. But, because that overbar was missing, the ground receiver was incorrectly accepted as the beacon. The computer fed the rocket 'hard left, nose down' and the vehicle obeyed.

Watching in horror, the Range Safety Officer saw that the rocket was now headed for a crash-landing, potentially in Northern Atlantic shipping lanes or in an inhabited area. The destruct command was sent 294 seconds after launch and 6 seconds before separation, after which the vehicle could not have been destroyed.

The bug was identified and fixed rapidly, though the failed launch cost $18,500,000, around $150 million today.

Work immediately began to launch another spacecraft before the end of the 50-day Venus window on September 10'th. Fortunately for NASA Mariner 2 was waiting in the wings. An identical craft, it launched five weeks later, on August 27'th, 1962.

The problem was called "the most expensive hyphen in history."