Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I play in a jug band with an otter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm actually a country jamboree bear

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm a snake that plays bass.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Got a link to your bandcamp? Sounds my kind of thing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Brotherrrrrs!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

once again trying to figure out if I should get a cheapish 12 string or just give in and buy a POG2 already

gear is stupid and even once they come up with a helmet that translates your thoughts into music, people will argue about whether the magnesium or copper skull pickups have a warmer treble response

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm not hungry. I'm hooooooooowngry.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

darkwasthenight posted:

There's no such thing as cheap stuff for any kind of classical instrument tbh. A sax you can actually gig starts around four figures. A lot of beginners rent or borrow them from schools until they're committed enough to invest, but even top-tier professional players will use exceptional instruments bought by angel investors and gifted on loan because its the only way anyone who plays music can afford them.

Guitar is (horrifyingly) the cheap option thanks to Leo having a robust approach to luthiery and then becoming one of the most popular instruments on the planet so mass production was viable.
Tenor sax things that cost more than a decent entry-level electric guitar:
  • a re-pad
  • a good mouthpiece

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My personal stupid music poo poo is that part of me wants to stress buy this https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/martin-5k-soprano-ukulele/l28193000001000?rNtt=martin%20ukuleles&index=5 even though it costs almost as much as my incredibly nice Martin acoustic and I could still get a great Martin uke for 1/10th of this.

My other stupid music poo poo is that in my ten years of playing, I've decided that I do have a strong preference for Martin acoustics even though they're the most expensive of all of the major brands.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

I'm a snake that plays bass.

I'm the dark chords played by storm clouds over head.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shiroc posted:

My personal stupid music poo poo is that part of me wants to stress buy this https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/martin-5k-soprano-ukulele/l28193000001000?rNtt=martin%20ukuleles&index=5 even though it costs almost as much as my incredibly nice Martin acoustic and I could still get a great Martin uke for 1/10th of this.

My other stupid music poo poo is that in my ten years of playing, I've decided that I do have a strong preference for Martin acoustics even though they're the most expensive of all of the major brands.

lol well I am considering buying this fuckin thing so dont feel so bad:

https://reverb.com/item/34531570-pre-order-charvel-henrik-danhage-limited-signat-pro-mod-so-cal-style-1-guitar-white-relic

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Shiroc posted:

Holy poo poo. A yuke.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I borrowed a sound level meter from work to test out my hearing and how loud my amp can get.

Just preliminary testing (I didn't feel like putting in earplugs) but the boss katana on the 0.5w setting through a 2x12, and a very high gain setting with the channel volume at 71 and the master at 9oclock gets to 80dBa. At around 70 dB I think things are annoyingly loud and I can't understand speech in noise. Like a proper hypochondriac I will do some further testing so see if I perceive things to go from very quiet to super loud without much dB change, as that's indicative of outer hair dysfunction. Or maybe autism. Im not a doctor.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
isn't 70db like a running shower or a small crowd talking in an open area

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

isn't 70db like a running shower or a small crowd talking in an open area

Pretty much. OSHA says you can have 85dB for 8hours a day without hearing loss so I'm just a little wimp.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I miss playing loud. Ever since this quarantine thing the only time I’ve used my full stack was to scare a possum out of my attic.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Huxley posted:

I've always wanted to spend sometime on the violin, and when I called the local reputable strings place they told me their absolute cheapest student models started in the $500 range. The owner said it was the "cheapest thing we can sell with a good conscience." And this wasn't some nose-in-the-air place, their guitar room has a whole wall of $200 student acoustics.

When I was looking at violin for my daughter, the place I asked at offered a deal on rent if you take lessons from them plus when you buy an instrument from them afterwards a portion of what you had payed on rent previously would be put up against the price of the violin.

No one is making money if no one is taking up the craft...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Krustic posted:

I miss playing loud. Ever since this quarantine thing the only time I’ve used my full stack was to scare a possum out of my attic.

This this great, lol

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I did more stupid music poo poo

https://twitter.com/DatePandemic/status/1320245071845990400?s=19

Did that guy ever make a thread for posting stuff like this

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Here's some fun stupid by design - Dare to be Stupid by the Cybertronic Spree, because everyone needs a Transformers-themed rock band once in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tc6UbEYI4M

Friends of mine did the camera work for this and myself plus a bunch of friends are in the crowd shots (shot November 2019 if you're wondering about crowding and lack of masks).

Mostly it just reminds me of how much I miss live shows with my friends :unsmith:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what the poo poo

https://www.roland.com/global/products/jc-01/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does it actually amplify a guitar? This is unclear to me...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like it has an "audio" input but no actual guitar input. Also can't really see that it has any sort of chorus effect despite saying that in the name.
If it was like one of those little portable Marshalls it'd be pretty cool.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lol it's just a bluetooth speaker for you phone that looks like a guitar amp. Definitely will maintain your status as the quirky guy of the office when that's decorating your cubicle next to your king diamond funko pop.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

To be fair that guitar is pretty rad.

Krustic posted:

Hahaha awesome

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 26, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Krustic posted:

Yo, that raps and slaps.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I NEED IT

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Thumposaurus posted:

Looks like it has an "audio" input but no actual guitar input. Also can't really see that it has any sort of chorus effect despite saying that in the name.
If it was like one of those little portable Marshalls it'd be pretty cool.
I was surprised at how good those Marshall bluetooth speakers sounded when I finally heard one. 2" speakers isn't giving me a ton of confidence in this one though - those are even smaller than the ones in the THR.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lol it's just a bluetooth speaker for you phone that looks like a guitar amp. Definitely will maintain your status as the quirky guy of the office when that's decorating your cubicle next to your king diamond funko pop.

it'll look so rad sitting on top of my marshall mini fridge

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it'll look so rad sitting on top of my marshall mini fridge

Fridges disguised as Marshalls are cool though. Literally and figuratively.

But also stupid music poo poo

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

king diamond funko pop.
It's not an official beanie baby 2.0, but somebody made one.

And someone needs to fix the stupid 800 pixel limit on attachments. It's not 1999 any more.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Funko pops are made of vinyl right? My stupid secret wish is to have 'em recycled and pressed into records. I'm sure there's a number of reasons it's not logistically possible, and that they'd all be a uniform beige brown color in the end, but one can hope.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Funko pops are made of vinyl right? My stupid secret wish is to have 'em recycled and pressed into records. I'm sure there's a number of reasons it's not logistically possible, and that they'd all be a uniform beige brown color in the end, but one can hope.
They're both PVC, so it could work. I don't know if you'd have to grind one up into pellets or just heat it until its soft before pressing, but it would be one less pop on this planet.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mad Dragon posted:

They're both PVC, so it could work. I don't know if you'd have to grind one up into pellets or just heat it until its soft before pressing, but it would be one less pop on this planet.

Pellets would heat and press more evenly. Also there's the possibility of using one of the actual bobblehead ones, which have springs in them and you'd have to take that out.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I was concerned about paint, aren't some details painted on to them? I'd think you'd have to melt them down anyways because all the record pressing machines I've seen video of work with a biscuit shaped blank and nobody is going to retool one to accept the unmelted figure.

This is where I admit that I shouldn't be throwing stones like this, as I am guilty of having bought two of them. The bulbasaur figure isn't as cute anymore as when I first bought it, and I gave the tootsie pop owl mascot to my mother. That's probably at least half of their sales though: "I know you like *thing* so I got you a funko pop of *thing*. Happy Birthday!"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Turbinosamente posted:

I was concerned about paint, aren't some details painted on to them? I'd think you'd have to melt them down anyways because all the record pressing machines I've seen video of work with a biscuit shaped blank and nobody is going to retool one to accept the unmelted figure.

This is where I admit that I shouldn't be throwing stones like this, as I am guilty of having bought two of them. The bulbasaur figure isn't as cute anymore as when I first bought it, and I gave the tootsie pop owl mascot to my mother. That's probably at least half of their sales though: "I know you like *thing* so I got you a funko pop of *thing*. Happy Birthday!"

The only one I've personally bought for myself is an Admiral Holdo bobblehead, and my spouse has several Mass Effect: Andromeda ones and a Captain Marvel. I've never understood the appeal of buying poo poo just to buy it, especially when it comes to pop culture poo poo. Get things that truly resonate with you, and know that almost all pop culture collecting is a fad and will never be worth as much as you want it to be when you go to sell it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Stupid music poo poo:

I had a long talk yesterday with a research audio engineer at the company that makes audio equipment for hearing tests/research. He was walking me through how to calibrate the equipment for recording DPOAEs (its basically doing an impulse response on the cochlea) and I learned that the best thing they found for acoustically damping ultrasonic frequencies was aquarium filter floss that they bought at a pet store.

So uh yeah, I'm going to get a cheap bag and make some fake ears at work.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
One of my professors works on doing high frequency DPOAEs (Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emissions) and she had to cobble together her own transducers and hack it all together. Her favorite piece of equipment runs on a computer that is older than many of her students.

TEOAEs (Transient Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions) are more like an impulse response though :pseudo:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rifter17 posted:

One of my professors works on doing high frequency DPOAEs (Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emissions) and she had to cobble together her own transducers and hack it all together. Her favorite piece of equipment runs on a computer that is older than many of her students.

TEOAEs (Transient Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions) are more like an impulse response though :pseudo:

That's why I said "basically" as there's multiple types but musicians know "impulse response" as the frequency response of an amp so that gets confusing. Switching from music to EE to audiology there's a bunch of terms that have different uses across the three.

Luckily no cobbling together poo poo because it's already available. why reinvent the wheel and make reviewers pissed that it's inconsistent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maybe we need a blessed music poo poo thread because this discussion is definitely that.