Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

TOH has been crap recently. Even when they do the segments on a specific fix/install (like adding an overhead light + switch), the information density is very low. It always seems like they choose or pre-plan the easiest possible install, and they don't show or gloss over critical steps. I always get a kick out of the plumbing videos with Richard where he's installing a water heater or whatever and the main water shutoff is clearly brand new. Why can't they just show the whole process where he had to replace the crusty old gate valve that started leaking when he tried to shut it off.

That and project houses for rich people with more money than sense. A recent one had a $60,000 radiant system and outrageously complicated distribution manifold with like 8 circulator pumps. Keeping that overengineered mess running will be a very nice cash cow for the HVAC company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

B-Nasty posted:

TOH has been crap recently. Even when they do the segments on a specific fix/install (like adding an overhead light + switch), the information density is very low. It always seems like they choose or pre-plan the easiest possible install, and they don't show or gloss over critical steps.

They need to show work in an existing home, where the first step reveals another problem, and then even investigating the fix involves trashing loads of drywall and covering the house in dust. Film live!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"Today on This Old House we're continuing with our 300 hour lightbulb replacement. We just finished fixing the load bearing plumbing and cleaning the wasps out of aluminum wiring, so let's get going!"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

csammis posted:

I got a TOH Insider subscription so my wife and I could watch every season of TOH and Ask TOH and New Yankee Workshop...which is fine and all, but it also came with a Silva Bros. shirt so I can cosplay Tommy. Too bad my mustache game will never be as strong :smith:
Is the subscription worth getting?

SpartanIvy posted:

"Today on This Old House we're continuing with our 300 hour lightbulb replacement. We just finished fixing the load bearing plumbing and cleaning the wasps out of aluminum wiring, so let's get going!"
Would watch the hell out of that.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

stealie72 posted:

Is the subscription worth getting?

As an incredibly boring person who loves watching ‘80s PBS and yelling whenever Bob Villa “helps” the plaster workers - I say yes, 100%. $96/yr for effectively unlimited TOH. The app even categorizes Ask TOH segments by topic so I could watch Rich gently caress around with geothermal or whatever with the simple touch of a button.

Also :hellyeah: to the new title

quote:

The Haunted Home Zone: Cosplaying Tommy Silva

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SpartanIvy posted:

Deal, but they have to do it while living in the house with two kids online-learning.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Deal, but they have to do it while living in the house with two kids online-learning.

And this is us currently, down to 1 bathroom in the master bedroom.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2020/10/f80/dishwasher_finalrule_2020-10-19.pdf

Soon we will be able to buy dishwashers that finish a load before we go to bed again!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SpartanIvy posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

Hed posted:

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2020/10/f80/dishwasher_finalrule_2020-10-19.pdf

Soon we will be able to buy dishwashers that finish a load before we go to bed again!

I feel like there’s a dark side to this, in the way of higher power and water consumption. Like, that’s why we developed enzymatic detergents, to break down food debris over time instead of with extra rinse cycles like traditional units. This is effectively like saying hey, start selling incandescent lights again, and don’t worry about water consumption even though that’s a critical issue in so many parts of the US as we pump our aquifers dry.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The only reason I ever care about when the dishes get done is being able to crack the door open to air dry everything as soon as it finishes.

I'd much rather have one that pops the door open on its own than one that takes more electricity and water.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just throw my dishes in a Speed Queen on tumble low to dry

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just wash your dishes by hand you bougies!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Just wash your dishes by hand you bougies!

Cascade says this uses more water and energy than doing it in the dishwasher.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You can actually reuse your slop bowl several times between washes with little impact to the flavor of your food. And you don't need utensils, just use your hands and wipe them off on the carpet/lawn.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

They need to show work in an existing home, where the first step reveals another problem, and then even investigating the fix involves trashing loads of drywall and covering the house in dust. Film live!

The older seasons definitely have that, the acton house was supposed to be a simple kitchen/bedroom addition and they just wanted to tear into the old house a little and they ended up with new beams, new chimney, new exterior wall in one place. It just got worse the further they got.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Smugworth posted:

You can actually reuse your slop bowl several times between washes with little impact to the flavor of your food. And you don't need utensils, just use your hands and wipe them off on the carpet/lawn.

:hmmyes:

I personally like to use my booger hooks to scrape off the crusties in between meals

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Look at Mr. Fancy-Pants with a slop bowl.

Just eat from a trough like the rest of us.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just want This Old House to do a house that isn't necessarily a falling apart early 20th century cape, colonial, or Queen Anne; just a drab-as-poo poo mid-century ranch or something.

Mostly, I want to know what the gently caress I could ever do to MY drab-as-poo poo mid-century ranch to ever get it to not look drab-as-poo poo.

I know, the answer is nothing, my fault for buying a cursed property such as this.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Hmm.

Zoom, enhance.

Zoom. Enhance.

Weekend warrior job or just really lovely contractors?

Like it's as bad as it looks, right? Why would you spend thousands on a metal roof and then skimp on eaves and fascia?

Edit:
Bonus decaying chimney that may or may not be capped off.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

me measuring bedrooms: These 3 bedrrooms are about 420-430 square feet.

carpet measuring team: This quote is for 516 square feet. Your quote is (Expected value + $500)

Let's see them loving explain this. The room's not wide enough in any dierction to require extra rolls.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just want This Old House to do a house that isn't necessarily a falling apart early 20th century cape, colonial, or Queen Anne; just a drab-as-poo poo mid-century ranch or something.

Mostly, I want to know what the gently caress I could ever do to MY drab-as-poo poo mid-century ranch to ever get it to not look drab-as-poo poo.

I know, the answer is nothing, my fault for buying a cursed property such as this.

There are a couple of those in the real early seasons, and it's funny to watch them turn a dated ranch into a dated colonial or the like.

There is a lesson from those episodes, though which is if you just make it look trendy, it's going to date quickly. Some of the most successful renos in terms of not looking awful 30 years later were when they hired an architect.

Money well spent imo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Deviant posted:

me measuring bedrooms: These 3 bedrrooms are about 420-430 square feet.

carpet measuring team: This quote is for 516 square feet. Your quote is (Expected value + $500)

Let's see them loving explain this. The room's not wide enough in any dierction to require extra rolls.
That's your sq ft plus 20 percent waste, which is maybe a *tad* high, but not anything crazy. Most flooring bids I ever saw quoted 15 percent waste.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Slugworth posted:

That's your sq ft plus 20 percent waste, which is maybe a *tad* high, but not anything crazy. Most flooring bids I ever saw quoted 15 percent waste.

Yeah, he went through the actual plan w me and explained the overages. After he showed me the layouts and the seams i was far less worried.

He even showed me a few places i could put seams that would be less aesthetically pleasing but would bring the unit cost down.

I was concerned until we discussed it, basically.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Is there any downside to a solid core interior door?

The door on our daughter's room is warped, and it looks like it's just way easier to replace then try to un-warp it. Got us thinking that if we were going to replace it, we might as well upgrade it to solid core (along with the other bedroom doors, probably not all at once).

Of course they're more expensive, and looks like they're sold unprimed and unpainted, but I'm thinking more long term. Obviously they're heavier, so they might sag sooner, but I can't think of anything else. Would we need to upgrade the hinges? Or would the existing hinges be fine?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
There are downsides for solid core compared to like wood and maybe mdf. But yes, I would take a solid core door any day over hollow core.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DaveSauce posted:

Is there any downside to a solid core interior door?

Solid vs hollow: only possible downside is you can do more damage to wall and frame by slamming it aggressively.

Other than that sepends what solid core means though, is it solid wood? Or veneer + chipboard.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Ah, see that's the rub: I had assumed that "solid core" meant "solid wood."

I now see that they are two different things.

What's the difference? Lowesdepot is incredibly sketchy about telling you if a door is solid wood or veneer over "other," and prices range from like $150 to $400.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don’t mind solid core for refits in my existing house because some of the solid cores are MDF or whatever with veneer and heavier than solid wood equivalents.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Those of you with fireplaces, how do you store your firewood?

I might put together a log rack from 4x4s, but being from the South, I wasn't sure how much firewood I need for the season. To start off, I bought a stack of firewood from the local firewood supplier.

For the time being, I laid out an unused ladder and stacked some firewood along the rungs. I figured it'd be better than leaving it directly on the ground.

I got a combination log rack and tool kit for inside, but I know I'm not supposed to store logs inside for long term.

I paid for a deep chimney cleaning, so I'm gonna use the poo poo out of it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Bioshuffle posted:

Those of you with fireplaces, how do you store your firewood?

I might put together a log rack from 4x4s, but being from the South, I wasn't sure how much firewood I need for the season. To start off, I bought a stack of firewood from the local firewood supplier.

For the time being, I laid out an unused ladder and stacked some firewood along the rungs. I figured it'd be better than leaving it directly on the ground.

I got a combination log rack and tool kit for inside, but I know I'm not supposed to store logs inside for long term.

I paid for a deep chimney cleaning, so I'm gonna use the poo poo out of it.

The cheapest outdoor wood storage is 2 (or 3 with a central one) cinder blocks, holes up, with PT 2x4s laid across and also stuck down into the holes to form the left and right sides. Then toss a tarp over it. Works surprisingly well, holds a lot, and can be moved around or whatever easily.

I tend to only bring in what I plan to use for the night, because the wood pile will harbor a lot of insects. I have a small welded steel rack by my fireplace inside where I put wood. Don't store your wood outside against your wall either, keep it spaced away from your house because of aforementioned insects, but also mice.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

And fires. I don't know where you live, but don't keep combustible things butting up against your combustible house.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
If anybody has some experience with diy insulation: I've got a cold hundred year old farmhouse with no subfloor or insulation over a crawlspace with a vapor barrier. Are Rockwool batts the go-to here if I don't mind the price premium over fiberglass?

How stupid an idea would it be to go with an undersized (4 inch instead of 6) batt with the intention of pulling it out in a few years and running radiant in the joist bays above it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Our haunted house is a monster, and the piss poor paint patching I did YEARS ago remains to horrify the perfectionists.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

Our haunted house is a monster, and the piss poor paint patching I did YEARS ago remains to horrify the perfectionists.

:3:

This is fabulous... Next year I’m stealing this idea and putting giant green monster eyes in the windows

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, I thought about doing oversized cobwebs with some ~1 inch rope, like those crazy spiderweb playground jungle gyms, but home reno projects took too much time. That's awesome.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Organ posted:

If anybody has some experience with diy insulation: I've got a cold hundred year old farmhouse with no subfloor or insulation over a crawlspace with a vapor barrier. Are Rockwool batts the go-to here if I don't mind the price premium over fiberglass?

How stupid an idea would it be to go with an undersized (4 inch instead of 6) batt with the intention of pulling it out in a few years and running radiant in the joist bays above it?
I enjoyed working with rockwool relative to fiberglass and I imagine it's less likely to be pulled down by critters, but if it does end up hanging down to the crawlspace floor then I don't think it will wick up moisture into the joists the way fiberglass would.

edit:
Any ideas what would cause a brick veneer to fail like this? According to Google streetview it's been like that since at least 2016.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 1, 2020

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
The concrete slab under your door is sinking by the looks of it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

unlimited shrimp posted:

I enjoyed working with rockwool relative to fiberglass and I imagine it's less likely to be pulled down by critters, but if it does end up hanging down to the crawlspace floor then I don't think it will wick up moisture into the joists the way fiberglass would.

edit:
Any ideas what would cause a brick veneer to fail like this? According to Google streetview it's been like that since at least 2016.

Either the slab is settling, or they hosed up the angle iron that goes under the veneer to leave the drainage gap.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our floors and walls are insulated with stiff foam boards. The attic is ?? Might be soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Captain Organ posted:

Rockwool is awesome. In 2013 I moved into a brick house that had NO insulation in the walls. And it was directly next to overhead subway tracks in Brooklyn NY. Renovated the whole house, using (Roxul) Rockwool comfortbatt in the walls and rockwool safe'n sound in the floor joists. Along with triple pane windows, the house was incredibly quiet and made a huge difference in keeping in heat.

If I had to insulate the house I live in now, I would use Rockwool all over again.

I don't have an answer for your second question, but if you need to cut the rockwool to shape, you must buy some cheap bread knives. They cut rockwool like butter.