Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah he seems to be one of those guys that was a best-seller in the 70s or 80s and now no-one remembers him. Only came across one of his novels by accident at the Red Cross flea market for 2 or 3€ and looked him up. Sic transit gloria mundi I guess.

Vita brevis ars longa imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Syncopated posted:

Vita brevis ars longa imho

That, too.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I think I prefer PDF for my preferred ebook format because the highlights and annotations are portable with the file, so they're more portable, and .mobi and .epub highlights and annotations are stored in the app in every app I've used, so I know I'll lose them eventually. The other formats work better for smartphones, so I guess it's okay for fiction that I don't care about saving the annotations, but I really want to keep the annotations for nonfiction

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X and the Laura chapter is one helluva ride. Malcolm is completely wrecked by guilty consciousness because he stopped dating a girl and now she's a manhating lesbian who's addicted to drugs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i got a thriftstore copy of deadeye dick by vonnegut in the mail and i’m pretty sure it’s signed, though for some reason there is a sticker over it which is confusing, pretty cool though

minema
May 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/Darcysgirl/status/1318811863514304512?s=20

Found as a reply to the new Rebecca trailer, I'm not sure they remember the book as well as they seem to think they do...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's 3:30 and I'm not asleep because I'm reading a book so bad my sister (who technically owns it) left it in my mum's hen house for 27 years and I'm the idiot who rescued it when the place was sold. I can't help it - I need to find out if the story is entirely as lame as it's been so far.

I need to rethink my "I'll read every drat book I have before getting rid of them" strategy.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

minema posted:

https://twitter.com/Darcysgirl/status/1318811863514304512?s=20

Found as a reply to the new Rebecca trailer, I'm not sure they remember the book as well as they seem to think they do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr59DKnFKx0

I prefer the Mitchell and Webb prequel.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's 3:30 and I'm not asleep because I'm reading a book so bad my sister (who technically owns it) left it in my mum's hen house for 27 years and I'm the idiot who rescued it when the place was sold. I can't help it - I need to find out if the story is entirely as lame as it's been so far.

I need to rethink my "I'll read every drat book I have before getting rid of them" strategy.

What is this gem?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

What is this gem?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
The Google translate of this is pretty hilarious.

His beloved is a handsome blacksmith Vägev, who in Kalinmaa has learned to control the spirit of iron, but the man also killed Tuulik, Välge's best friend. As a bitter, Välge goes on a business trip with his faithful slave maid, according to his father, leaving the son he has acquired as a result of the spring fertility ceremonies to the blacksmith.

Wow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

His beloved is a handsome blacksmith Vägev, who in Kalinmaa has learned to control the spirit of iron, but the man also killed Tuulik, Välge's best friend. As a bitter, Välge goes on a business trip with his faithful slave maid, according to his father, leaving the son he has acquired as a result of the spring fertility ceremonies to the blacksmith.

Wow.

Yeah it's not even that things don't happen, it's just that it's written in such a way that the reader isn't likely to give a poo poo. Without the veneer of (real or faux, IDK) pagan folklore that makes it somewhat interesting* it'd be an unreadable 20-page story.

*) Except for the terrible YOU SEE HE WAS CALLED FOX AND THAT'S HOW THE FOX'S FIRES (aurora borealis) GOT THEIR NAME YOU SEE DO YOU SEE bits.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
When I was a kid, we lived super rurally (hour each way on the school bus!) And I was a lonely, desperately bored kid who would read anything. My mom did not believe in censoring reading (her telling off the town librarian who wanted to keep me from reading something saucy as a tween is a treasured memory!) - so I would read anything I could, lovely, soft core romance? Homer's The Odyssey? Conan books? Not raised religious, I even read the Bible, or parts when I was really bored. I stalled out at the he begats... New Testament I think?

Until I was about 10, they limited me to 5 books a trip, which wouldn't get me through a week in the summer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

When I was a kid, we lived super rurally (hour each way on the school bus!) And I was a lonely, desperately bored kid who would read anything. My mom did not believe in censoring reading (her telling off the town librarian who wanted to keep me from reading something saucy as a tween is a treasured memory!) - so I would read anything I could, lovely, soft core romance? Homer's The Odyssey? Conan books? Not raised religious, I even read the Bible, or parts when I was really bored. I stalled out at the he begats... New Testament I think?

Until I was about 10, they limited me to 5 books a trip, which wouldn't get me through a week in the summer.

Why did they limit you? Or was it the library? I can't remember there ever being any limits to how many books I could borrow from the library, but more than ten would get a bit heavy in the old rucksack.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Library in a small town. One stoplight, cows out numbered people, although the Interlibrary loans system was pretty good.

Once a smart rear end librarian gave me grief for taking out so many books. She said I couldn't have read them all - and proceeded to quiz them on them. I passed, I guess, but she looked disappointed. Maybe it was supposed to be funny, teasing me - but it didn't feel that way. I just checked online to see if they have limits still, and they don't have a website, just a Facebook for hours and news.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

Library in a small town. One stoplight, cows out numbered people, although the Interlibrary loans system was pretty good.

Once a smart rear end librarian gave me grief for taking out so many books. She said I couldn't have read them all - and proceeded to quiz them on them. I passed, I guess, but she looked disappointed. Maybe it was supposed to be funny, teasing me - but it didn't feel that way. I just checked online to see if they have limits still, and they don't have a website, just a Facebook for hours and news.

Maybe she was a big doodiehead!

Limiting the number of books lent out seems counter-productive to being a loving library, to me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So.... when does Perdido Street Station get good?

I'm about 90 minutes into the audiobook and I have zero loving clue what is going on. Lin just met Mr. Motley and Isaac just met the garuda, but I couldn't tell you much more than that. I feel like this story is dense in a way that makes the audiobook a little harder to follow? Or am I just a dumbass? Out of the 90 minutes or so I've listened to, I feel like there have been 5 minutes of things happening and 85 minutes of the author waxing poetic about the squalor of the city.

Is an audiobook the wrong way to tackle Perdido?

I can't tell if it's just not the right time for me to read this book or if the book just feels too up its own rear end. Its definitely different from everything I've ever read, but I think it's just so different from my expectations.

Does the pace ever pick up? I feel like I'm trying to latch onto something but it's not giving me anything. I couldn't tell you what this book is about even if I tried.

Maybe I should just give up for now and go with something a bit more pulpy and easier to follow.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 27, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

Wow.

OK I finished it. There's a bit of traveling, to "Bolgaria" and back, the protagonist learns some uncanny ways, has a few men, moves to Finland, and then some random Russian dies there and the slavemaid (now named Olga) volunteers as a sacrificial bride so she can get hosed by all the dead Russian's friends. The protagonist is "oh yeah right because you're a virgin!" but Olga replies "Yeah nah I hosed that rich slave guy you shot in the throat in chapter I after he grabbed your boobs lol." The end. Oh and it's implied the son she had with the blacksmith and the daughter she brought back from "Bolgaria" might gently caress at some point and she's extremely :shrug: about it.

Marvelous.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

trying to get back on track with my french with voyage autour de ma chambre (journey round my room) by xavier de maistre. i found out about the book via the posthumous memoirs of brás cubas by machado de assis, where it's cited as a direct influence. the posthumous memoirs ruled, so i figured i'd dig into it.

the short of it is that xavier wounded--or killed, the details aren't clear--another guy in a duel and has to spend forty-two days under house arrest in turin. so he decides to write a memoir-travelogue, except it's set in his room instead of greece or japan. lots of internal musings on the countryside, painting, music, grief, and other things in forty-two short chapters. one of them is even dedicated to his dog. :allears:

then he spends the next one talking about his servant joanetti, who takes not getting paid for a week and being yelled at by his noble master like a champ. a real good christian. :unsmith:

my french is still rusty and i don't really know how to unfuck it, but, well, gotta give it time. this is relatively easy, at least.

Karenina fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 28, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mordiceius posted:

So.... when does Perdido Street Station get good?

I'm about 90 minutes into the audiobook and I have zero loving clue what is going on. Lin just met Mr. Motley and Isaac just met the garuda, but I couldn't tell you much more than that. I feel like this story is dense in a way that makes the audiobook a little harder to follow? Or am I just a dumbass? Out of the 90 minutes or so I've listened to, I feel like there have been 5 minutes of things happening and 85 minutes of the author waxing poetic about the squalor of the city.

Is an audiobook the wrong way to tackle Perdido?

I can't tell if it's just not the right time for me to read this book or if the book just feels too up its own rear end. Its definitely different from everything I've ever read, but I think it's just so different from my expectations.

Does the pace ever pick up? I feel like I'm trying to latch onto something but it's not giving me anything. I couldn't tell you what this book is about even if I tried.

Maybe I should just give up for now and go with something a bit more pulpy and easier to follow.

it took me over a quarter of the way through the book before it set its hooks into me. The last quarter is hang onto your butt fast action

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karenina posted:

trying to get back on track with my french with voyage autour de ma chambre (journey round my room) by xavier de maistre. i found out about the book via the posthumous memoirs of brás cubas by machado de assis, where it's cited as a direct influence. the posthumous memoirs ruled, so i figured i'd dig into it.

the short of it is that xavier wounded--or killed, the details aren't clear--another guy in a duel and has to spend forty-two days under house arrest in turin. so he decides to write a memoir-travelogue, except it's set in his room instead of greece or japan. lots of internal musings on the countryside, painting, music, grief, and other things in forty-two short chapters. one of them is even dedicated to his dog. :allears:

then he spends the next one talking about his servant joanetti, who takes not getting paid for a week and being yelled at by his noble master like a champ. a real good christian. :unsmith:

my french is still rusty and i don't really know how to unfuck it, but, well, gotta give it time. this is relatively easy, at least.

He worked as a harbour master (or something) in the city at some point. I wonder what his room here was like.

E: oh it was before 1827 so the room has burned down.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 28, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bilirubin posted:

it took me over a quarter of the way through the book before it set its hooks into me. The last quarter is hang onto your butt fast action

Yeah. I think I’m just not in the right place for it right now.

I recently started delivery driving since my industry is still 75% shut down due to covid so I was looking for some fun books to read. Perdido seems great but boy is it hard to pay attention to while driving around doing deliveries.

Luckily audible lets you refund your credits so I refunded Perdido and picked up the first Mistborn book. I’m only 30 minutes it and it loving RULES. It’s exactly what I was looking for. Easy to follow. Kept me on the edge of my seat. I’m excited to keep listening.

Perdido is just too dense for me right now. I’m sure it gets better but I don’t want to have to listen to 8 hours of audio book to get there.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I recently started delivery driving since my industry is still 75% shut down due to covid so I was looking for some fun books to read. Perdido seems great but boy is it hard to pay attention to while driving around doing deliveries.

Luckily audible lets you refund your credits so I refunded Perdido and picked up the first Mistborn book. I’m only 30 minutes it and it loving RULES. It’s exactly what I was looking for. Easy to follow. Kept me on the edge of my seat. I’m excited to keep listening.

Perdido is just too dense for me right now. I’m sure it gets better but I don’t want to have to listen to 8 hours of audio book to get there.

yeah I can't imagine listening to it while doing a million of other things (checking manifests, addresses, looking for parking, etc.) and all those interruptions. I don't actually audiobook myself but something like PSS needs more unbroken time to enjoy it IMO

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

yeah I can't imagine listening to it while doing a million of other things (checking manifests, addresses, looking for parking, etc.) and all those interruptions. I don't actually audiobook myself but something like PSS needs more unbroken time to enjoy it IMO

I also think it probably works better as a read since it's a lot of "HERE ARE SOME NOUNS WITH NO CONTEXT."

So far, the first Mistborn book is working very well for an audiobook though. I'm stoked to listen to more.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

If you like the beginning of Mistborn you are going to love that book. Sanderson really does endings well so you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All China Miéville is bad unless you're on just the right combination of drugs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
To truly enjoy a China Miéville novel you need to have woken up in the morning after having a good amount of sleep, eat a decent breakfast, have a nice walk around your neighborhood or a little hike around a park, drink three beers, smoke one very reasonable joint, lay out in an armchair or on a nice couch, have some tea at your elbow, and it has to be foggy outside. That's the only way I'd ever enjoy a China Miéville novel.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

The Scar is the best SF novel of this century. :colbert:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

There’s really no need to read PSS, just read the Scar. If you like it you can always read the other Bas Lag books. If you don’t then Mistborn is a great call. Probably lots to unpack with the other Sanderheads in the BS thread. Does the magic system work on the moon? What if the magic system was In a different language. Is the guy who’s supposed to be funny from way of Kings person a or person b.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, I don't hate Perdido Street Station, I'll definitely go back to it sometime.

I just wasn't expecting something denser than The Name of the Rose when I saw PSS on a list of recommended steampunk novels.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I don't hate Perdido Street Station, I'll definitely go back to it sometime.

I just wasn't expecting something denser than The Name of the Rose when I saw PSS on a list of recommended steampunk novels.

:psyduck:

Yeah ok that list is crap throw it away

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

in other news, statisticians have determined the height of the world's tallest dwarf

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Started reading Solzhenitsyn and it's a real treat after two not-so-great historical novels I read just because I had them in my possession. Fell asleep too late last night but this time because I was enjoying the book so much.

buffalo all day posted:

Targeted ads on the Internet have been telling me it's this trilogy by Liu Cixin.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

:psyduck:

Yeah ok that list is crap throw it away

Yeah. It's a very weird long story, but I wanted to read a bunch of steampunk novels way back around 2011 so I found some lists online and the two novels recommended the most were The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers and then Perdito Street Station. I ended up buying both, but never read either. Since I started delivery driving recently, I thought it would be a good time to get through some of my backlog of novels that I keep saying I'll get through. I was reading a lot of complaints about the audio book for The Anubis Gates, so I tried my luck with Perdido Street Station and.... well... yeah.

Regardless, I'm happy I tried Mistborn since it starts off so loving good.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
The Mistborn audiobooks are great too, because part of me feels smug for getting ALL THOSE WORDS for just 1 credit. I read paper books about 2:1 to audio, and some things just need more concentration.

I asked my sister for some book recommendations, partly just to find neutral turf to talk about. We butt heads a lot, but we both love to read.

The first one I grabbed off her list is this... Post apocalyptic, magiky, transformation into housecat unhealthy romance thing. I feel like she is maybe trolling me. Or maybe our tastes really have diverged... Shannon Meyer, Desert Cursed series. It's like a book anti-Bechdel test. A strong woman (who transforms into a housecat) constantly whining about her lovely crush.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The internet sure kinda sucks sometime! Don’t look up anything ever!!!!

I was looking up how to spell character names for Mistborn character since I’m listening to the audiobook and one of the first things that comes up when you google anything is how at some point Kelsier dies.

No clue when this happens because I’m only two chapters in but I would have rather not known that!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Steampunk anything is bad, actually.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Steampunk anything is bad, actually.

mlyp

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you're going to be delivery driving at night and alienated from mainstream society and want to read a dumb book, go for 2007's Rant by Chuck Palahniuk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mordiceius posted:

The internet sure kinda sucks sometime! Don’t look up anything ever!!!!

I was looking up how to spell character names for Mistborn character since I’m listening to the audiobook and one of the first things that comes up when you google anything is how at some point Kelsier dies.

No clue when this happens because I’m only two chapters in but I would have rather not known that!!!

So spoilers stink and all, but if you want a list of correctly spelled Mistborn character names with literally zero context then reference this page: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Category:Scadrians