Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/le_petit_trek/status/1321132128420024320?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

wholesome

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1320913573653090304

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

yippee cahier posted:

One day I want to see back to work legislation that cleans out the board of directors and capitulates to worker demands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb5R3P-xgWw

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Seriously what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/alexboutilier/status/1321162458086674435?s=20

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

Seriously what the gently caress

it's not nice to make fun of peoples appearances

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Career
A business owner in Dryden, Ontario, Beyak worked in tourism, insurance and real estate.[1] She co-owned a General Motors dealership and Ford dealership with her late husband.[4]

Beyak was previously a candidate for the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party in the Ontario provincial elections of 1995 and 1999, and has served on the Fort Frances-Rainy River board of education.[1] She was appointed to the Senate of Canada in 2013 by Stephen Harper.

She sat as a Conservative until being expelled by the Conservative caucus in 2017. In 2020, she donated $1,000 to the People's Party of Canada, the maximum allowable donation.[5]

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
what are her credentials for being a senator, you ask?

well, let me tell you, it's because, uh, she, uh, she owns a car dealership and she unsuccessfully ran for provincial office two decades ago

and, furthermore, she was on the board of education for a district with a population of 20,000, so she is abundantly qualified to be, theoretically, a lawmaker in our chamber of sober second thought

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Full points for asking the "I wonder if any of these idiots were stupid enough to donate in the US election?" question.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the donation was "made in error" people

maybe she thought trump was running in canada. or was paying a bill and it accidentally got sent to the gop. both are common mistakes

and also who here hasn't ever done something illegal in error and just cleared everything up when it was discovered by other people without any other consequences? let him cast the first stone and all that

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
don't worry i'm sure she will be punished for breaking the law

lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

With all the money USA spends on astroturfing Canada, it's only fair that they get some of that money back.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1321170933122535424?s=20

isnt this the 10 year old that got elected to the ontario legislature

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he was also the parliamentary assistant to the minister of education

incidentally, he was home schooled

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is Beyak the actual Worst Senator is or there some more terrible cretin in the Chamber of Sober Second Thought who's just more quiet about their awfulness?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Entropic posted:

Is Beyak the actual Worst Senator is or there some more terrible cretin in the Chamber of Sober Second Thought who's just more quiet about their awfulness?

I mean, Mike Duffy is still a senator isn't he?

Also Rick Mercer or someone a few years ago made Senator trading cards that may have highlighted some of the worst ones. I found them earlier this year when I was moving but I don't remember what happened to them now.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Entropic posted:

You use the present tense, but the reigning legend is probably still this guy who actually resigned... albeit also less than two years before mandatory retirement:

"Liberal Andrew Thompson resigned in 1998 after the Ottawa Citizen revealed he only attended about five per cent of sittings over more than a decade."

(Had been senator for 31 years, would only show up for the first week of each session to fulfil then-current "don't get kicked out" requirement)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

its incredibly annoying that the senate would have to agree to abolish the senate

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sassafras posted:

You use the present tense, but the reigning legend is probably still this guy who actually resigned... albeit also less than two years before mandatory retirement:

"Liberal Andrew Thompson resigned in 1998 after the Ottawa Citizen revealed he only attended about five per cent of sittings over more than a decade."

(Had been senator for 31 years, would only show up for the first week of each session to fulfil then-current "don't get kicked out" requirement)

I'd take an absentee senator over a Beyak any day.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Entropic posted:

I'd take an absentee senator over a Beyak any day.

How about Eugene Melnyk?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Senator Ezra Levant

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Isn't there some young Quebecois club owner and gangster in that sacred chamber as well? I'm forgetting his name.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Patrick Brazeau!

Brazeau worked as day manager of an Ottawa strip club called the BareFax while suspended from the Senate.[2] On September 15, 2015, Brazeau pleaded guilty to simple assault and cocaine possession as part of a plea deal in which other assault charges were dropped, and he was acquitted of sexual assault.

He's still in the Senate because it's an open-minded chamber.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

priznat posted:

Senator Ezra Levant

don't even joke about that

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

infernal machines posted:

don't even joke about that

scheer would have done it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/1321242458819383303

:laugh: yeah sure

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

lol ok coup apologist fake leftist lady

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

vyelkin posted:

The Alberta NDP are basically a centrist party that only look left-wing because the UCP is doing the Maggiie Thatcher speedrun

Not to mention the 40+ years of hard conservative government before them. I feel like "is centrist but looks left compared to everyone else" is sadly par for the course with politics.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don Meredith was by a wide margin the worst senator. They're still paying damages to his harassment victims.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Title seen in the newspaper today "The american middle class isn't spared by poverty anymore."

just lol

lib media gonna lib

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

MIDDLE CLASS *makes jerk off motion*

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Sassafras posted:

How about Eugene Melnyk?

I love hearing Melnyk stories from disgruntled Senators fans. The one where a fan donated their kidney to save his life only asking him not to move the team and after Melynk had recovered he started threatening to move the team.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Not to mention the 40+ years of hard conservative government before them. I feel like "is centrist but looks left compared to everyone else" is sadly par for the course with politics.

even if they'd wanted to, they couldn't escape the trap of the entire province's bedrock being tar sands, especially not in 4 years. it's the fundamental issue that's going to doom this province more than anything else, because everyone has mentally bought into the tar sands to such a complete degree that it'll take a generation before the idea of transitioning to a more stable economy is palatable, and the whole loving thing's gonna be literally and figuratively underwater by that point

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

imagine calgary having another flood on the levels of 2013, but this time there's a 25-30% occupancy rate downtown and no one's paying property taxes. how the gently caress do you recover from that

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Vermain posted:

imagine calgary having another flood on the levels of 2013, but this time there's a 25-30% occupancy rate downtown and no one's paying property taxes. how the gently caress do you recover from that

Tar sands need lots of water for processing so maybe a plan to capture the flood waters might be in order.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Vermain posted:

I usually take about a half hour

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Vermain posted:

Honestly I could see Calgary becoming a symbol of the end of fossil fuels the same way Detroit became a symbol of white flight.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I live in Calgary and everyone I know here is preparing for the possibility that we go the way of Newfoundland. Especially with our current government whose entire recovery plan revolves around hoping oil goes back to $100/barrel.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
So many people from Calgary.

City's dying.

No one really had ties here, everyone's parachute was always packed. Ride the oil boom and jump off when it made sense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some day I'm going to buy a gigantic abandoned Calgary skyscraper for a dollar and turn it into a garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Calgary sucks, but I miss the punk music from there in the mid 00s