Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Check out the Camospecs guys on Youtube, they have some good recommendations. People have been getting good results with Citadel's Contrast paints.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw72skaSLl7jjgsbZVaZ6jw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Only Slightly Bent posted:

They're aiming for end of Q1 2021.

Thanks

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Edit: Forgot I opted for a single shipment.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 27, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Last chance to submit/suggest a battletech gang tag!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Of course my package arrives on the day I ask about it.

And I get two Dire Wolves.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Someone do something with this (courtesy of our very own DrPop)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Working on my Ice Hellions has reminded me how much painting white is a pain. Don't follow my stupid path.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Working on my Ice Hellions has reminded me how much painting white is a pain. Don't follow my stupid path.

Ice Hellions follow a stupid path.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In as much as anything in BT can straight up be a joke faction, CIH and CFM are joke factions.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Two questions:
The deck of "mercenaries of the inner sphere II" don't have any game rules, right? They look just like backstory.

The pilot cards with stats, are those for alpha strike, standard Battletech, or both?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Ice Hellions follow a stupid path.

:cawg: Get a load of this coward. Probably is too afraid to throw a huge tantrum to solve problems.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Woo, my clan stuff showed up a whole one day after I got the shipment confirmation email. I kept it small, now I'm regretting I didn't get more.

My salvage packs got me a Hellbringer, Dire Wolf, and the hero one was a MAD-3R. Of course the Urbie too.

Now to just find people locally to play. Though I think I'd have an easier time wrangling my current nerd circle to do a Battletech rpg using the wargame's rules for combat.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I like Snow Ravens, so I will absolutely follow your stupid path... in the air.

Thus you will never see me because Battletech gives zero shits about air and spacecraftsomething something camouflage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TacoNight posted:

Two questions:
The deck of "mercenaries of the inner sphere II" don't have any game rules, right? They look just like backstory.

The pilots are not statted.

quote:

The pilot cards with stats, are those for alpha strike, standard Battletech, or both?

It's both. The number in the red symbol is gunnery, the number in the green is piloting. For Alpha Strike, you just use the red number for "Pilot Skill"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Citadel Corax White spray paint is all you need.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My favourite white is Mr. Color Gundam MS White. It's meant for Gundams, GMs, and the like but IMO it's a very nice white. It's an offwhite that's like a very light grey so it's not as immediately clean and in your face as actual whites.

I'm planning on painting some 49th Shadow Division Celestials with that, MS Purple, and Tamiya NATO Black. I painted up a Gundam GM Model with MS White and MS Purple and I like the combination, and I assume the alcohol-based Tamiya acrylics should be okay since they shouldn't really interact with the lacquer-based Mr. Colors in a bad way.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Using one of the Macross minis as my Superheavy Omega.

Plus the two Hatamotos for added dakka factor.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Citadel Corax White spray paint is all you need.

Yeah, I have been meaning to give it a try. I have the badger white primer for airbrushing on and my last two bottles just are not good. The Grey is incredible, but it just isn't manageable for doing this much white stuff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, I have been meaning to give it a try. I have the badger white primer for airbrushing on and my last two bottles just are not good. The Grey is incredible, but it just isn't manageable for doing this much white stuff.

Honestly I've never had great luck with badger's white primer, I've even moved away from using it for zenithal priming. My go to is just white paint of whatever brand you like (I use Scale 75 and Pro Acryl) mixed with white ink.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the kickstarter mechs, is there a supplement with a good overview of all the clans and their history, or should I just go through the relevant Historical/Era Reports and put the info together myself?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

is there a supplement with a good overview of all the clans and their history

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/The_Clans:_Warriors_of_Kerensky is the best summary for Clan history and what each Clan is about.

As far as the military units involved and running down what their deal is, you want FM: Crusaders and FM: Wardens.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also here’s my lucky Archer

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm trying to decide what to do with the kickstarter mechs, is there a supplement with a good overview of all the clans and their history

Here's a quick rundown from me, Jordan Weisman, the creator of Battletech.

Wolf: Lame and they always win. There's also Wolf-In-Exile if you really want to crank up the Mary Sue-ness
Falcons: Lame and they love tradition, then turn full genocidal maniac in later fluff
Nova Cats: Only kinda lame, they go on spirit quests and then turn traitor to the rest of the clans then eventually get destroyed
Ghost Bears: End up combining with some of the Inner Sphere and love family, much like Dom Toretto
Smoke Jaguars: Lame and they get wiped out then they come back. They love killing.
Diamond Sharks: They like selling things. Lame.
Fire Mandrill: They keep fighting amongst themselves then get wiped out. Lame.
Coyote: More spirit quest bullshit
Snow Raven: They fly stuff, and also suck
Wolverine: Dead
Widowmaker: Dead and absorbed and their original Khan looked like an absolute moron
Burrock: Absorbed and also they're named after a giant centipede
Mongoose: Ride lovely BMX bikes. Also absorbed.
Ice Hellion: Gotta go fast and they get mad. Cool.
Blood Spirit: Nobody else liked them then they got wiped out. Also built the Blood Kite, one of the shittiest looking mechs of all time.
Star Adder/Steel Viper/Galaxy Asp/Cloud Cobra: These guys are all the same then Steel Viper gets killed. Lame.
Hell's Horses: It's literally just a horse with fangs. They use infantry and drive tanks. Played by people who don't "get" the point of Battletech.
Goliath Scorpions: They do drugs and then gently caress off to build their own realm in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you for your time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
:hai:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jordan Weisman made the active decision to work with Michael Stackpole, he clearly has the mind of a child. Ignore him.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Nova Cats are only mostly dead!

Them, the Sea Foxes and the FWL together was the greatest gift Battletech could have given me. All my lovable idiot children in one basket.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Defiance Industries posted:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/The_Clans:_Warriors_of_Kerensky is the best summary for Clan history and what each Clan is about.

As far as the military units involved and running down what their deal is, you want FM: Crusaders and FM: Wardens.

Thanks!

Snake Dance posted:

Wolf: Lame and they always win. There's also Wolf-In-Exile if you really want to crank up the Mary Sue-ness
Falcons: Lame and they love tradition, then turn full genocidal maniac in later fluff
Nova Cats: Only kinda lame, they go on spirit quests and then turn traitor to the rest of the clans then eventually get destroyed
Ghost Bears: End up combining with some of the Inner Sphere and love family, much like Dom Toretto
Smoke Jaguars: Lame and they get wiped out then they come back. They love killing.
Diamond Sharks: They like selling things. Lame.
Fire Mandrill: They keep fighting amongst themselves then get wiped out. Lame.
Coyote: More spirit quest bullshit
Snow Raven: They fly stuff, and also suck
Wolverine: Dead
Widowmaker: Dead and absorbed and their original Khan looked like an absolute moron
Burrock: Absorbed and also they're named after a giant centipede
Mongoose: Ride lovely BMX bikes. Also absorbed.
Ice Hellion: Gotta go fast and they get mad. Cool.
Blood Spirit: Nobody else liked them then they got wiped out. Also built the Blood Kite, one of the shittiest looking mechs of all time.
Star Adder/Steel Viper/Galaxy Asp/Cloud Cobra: These guys are all the same then Steel Viper gets killed. Lame.
Hell's Horses: It's literally just a horse with fangs. They use infantry and drive tanks. Played by people who don't "get" the point of Battletech.
Goliath Scorpions: They do drugs and then gently caress off to build their own realm in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you for your time.

Hm, I love tradition but I also love family.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Ghost Bears love family almost as much as they love going absolutely genocidal if someone so much as mentions clan Wolverine.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Is it easier to dig deeper into the fluff through novels or through rulebooks (whichever books fluff are kept in, field manuals?)?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Honestly, the only good Clanner is a dead Clanner. The only sensible faction choice is to just have all these mechs captured by the superior Inner Sphere. House Liao colors obviously.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

raverrn posted:

Nova Cats are only mostly dead!

Them, the Sea Foxes and the FWL together was the greatest gift Battletech could have given me. All my lovable idiot children in one basket.

The good news is that clans, much like Star Wars, operate on the No One's Ever Really Gone principle.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Snake Dance posted:

Wolf: Lame and they always win.
Falcons: Very good [best] (good guys)
Nova Cats: Good
Ghost Bears: Good
Smoke Jaguars: Pretty good
Diamond Sharks: Good
Fire Mandrill: Good (paint monkey's asses on mechs)
Coyote: Good
Snow Raven: Good
Wolverine: Dead but also not
Burrock: Good
Mongoose: Ride lovely BMX bikes.
Ice Hellion: Cool.
Blood Spirit: Nobody else liked them then they got wiped out.
Star Adder/Steel Viper/Galaxy Asp/Cloud Cobra: All bad except Star Adder
Hell's Horses: Good
Goliath Scorpions: Very good tied with Falcon for best

Thank you for your time.

fixed. im a line developer

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I GM a campaign with the Clan Smoke Jaguars as the invading force of some backwater mining/R&D planet and yes, I can confirm, Clan Smoke Jaguar is one of the very good Clanners.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Snake Dance posted:

The good news is that clans, much like Star Wars, operate on the No One's Ever Really Gone principle.

Blood Spirit is so extremely dead. They really went out of their way to smother any hope for them.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is it easier to dig deeper into the fluff through novels or through rulebooks (whichever books fluff are kept in, field manuals?)?

The sourcebooks routinely get used to fix problems in the novels caused by bad editorial oversight.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 28, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Also here’s my lucky Archer

:hellyeah:

This is what I want to see more of in this thread. Need more ideas for what to paint my mechs. I try to paint each one a different color.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013
Wolverine will be back eventually. Nobody can convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Now here I am debating if I paint all my mechs with a unified scheme or all unique.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Only Slightly Bent posted:

Wolverine will be back eventually. Nobody can convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Already are.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Every faction is a band of jerks, especially your favorite one.

It's what makes BattleTech so interesting.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The will they/won't they of Wolverines being back or not being back is the second most tired and worn-out thing in BattleTech right after the Urbie and I can't wait for both of those things to finally be dead for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Urbie isn't ever going away now that we know you can use it in some kind of complicated tax writeoff/insurance fraud combination