Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

DigitalPenny posted:

can i ask one of my more learned forum freinds here to explain the low tax thing.

He ran the site, then he sold the site. When i read the sticky at the top of the forums it sounds like getting rid of him was akin to overthrowing an evil dictator, is this just humor ?

Lowtax beats women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Sound on

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpitefulFrankEel-mobile.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

Hey, why does a closed door have a button that says "CLOSE" on it, anyway? Can you double-close it? Or did they mean it to say "CLOSED," so even commandos would know not to try walking through it?

It doesn't matter because the button retreats into the door when you open it. You can never manually close it.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

Living in tier 3 here, full lockdown pretty much...
Father in law and mother in law have covid.
Nephew and his Mum have it too, we've just been phoned by the NHS track and trace to let us know we have all been exposed.
Wife working from home in isolation, son off school in isolation, his year have all been sent home as some kids have covid.
To say the walls are closing in is an understatement.
Buy a fuckin Idris

So sorry to hear pgabz. I'll be crossing all my digits for you and your family.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Sure would be great if the thread didn't devolve into discussing women beating or the jokes people have ready to go for just such an occasion.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Sure would be great if the thread didn't devolve into discussing women beating or the jokes people have ready to go for just such an occasion.

:agreed:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

There go your qualifications for employment at CIG.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I have plenty of material about strangling ready, but beating? not really.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

quote:

Heh, actually Cyberpunk 2077 was started before Star Citizen. It was revealed in May 2012, almost 8.5 years ago at this point. SC didn't even have its kickstarter until 6 months later, near the end of 2012, and then started building up the studio from nothing in 2013. SC has realistically been in development for about 7 years, and Cyberpunk has been in development for at least 8.5 years from an already established studio. Games take a long time.

quote:

And they didn't have to build a studio from the ground up.

quote:

true they merged shortly before that and then build up 3 studios while working on 3 games, had only a handfull working on it untill they released the last Witcher DLC (2016), but who actually cares about such details if they don't fit one's narrative 😉

quote:

Umm, Witch 3 = Cyberpunk 2077 just different skin and mechanics. Same engine, all the engine work done on Witcher over the years all rolled in to Cyberpunk, effectively making the Cyberpunk dev time well over 15 years with way more man power behind it. Soooooo I guess no one cares about that detail either if it doesn't fit your narrative.

quote:

and theyre on the cusp of releasing a complete game and we're still waiting for a sq42 update video

quote:

still 8.5 years but that don't fit your narrative.... O and they do not share progress and details during the project sooo that also do not fit into your narrative as well ... AND we cannot play the game meanwhile they are developing it so that also .... you know what i'm gonna say here =D

Yeah, well that's just, like, your narrative, man.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
If Cyberpunk was not delayed, they would spin the story and say that other evil studios rush the development.

SeaDart
Oct 25, 2020
350 more pages

I can’t believe I’ve powered through 200 pages and all they did was talk about adding to prison gameplay

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

SeaDart posted:

350 more pages

I can’t believe I’ve powered through 200 pages and all they did was talk about adding to prison gameplay

Thank you for your service

I'm still in space jail for FUD

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Thoatse posted:

You were the closen one!

Schrödingers game development

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

colonelwest posted:

We should launch a Kickstarter for Derek to buy SA, then there would be no more ambiguity.

No, I'm not going to Derek is not going to do that, don't you understand that I Derek is saving all hs money to buy Star Citizen when it gets to chapter 11?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

Thank you for your service

I'm still in space jail for FUD

Free Tophat.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dwesa posted:

If Cyberpunk was not delayed, they would spin the story and say that other evil studios rush the development.

Just look at the game names and tell me which one do you think is cooler - Star Citizen or Cyberpunk?

Like "Star" and "Citizen" are really generic and plane.

'Cyber' and 'Punk' sound cool, mysterious and rebellious.

It tells you all you need to know.

If you don't know, the truth is that Chris Roberts is an amazingly untalented hack that is just conning people for his own enrichment.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Star Citizen sounds like suburban middle-aged guy who screams at group of Cyberpunks to get off his lawn. And cyberpunk flicks a cigarette at star citizen while walking away laughing at his glitching lawn.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

To quote my favourite bit ever from a Cyberpunk splatbook (where they discuss the options for buying "second-hand" or just second-rate cyberware at discounted prices):

"Russian leg not pretty like American leg, but good when kicking tank."

This should tell you all you need to know about Cyberpunk.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

There it is. Much appreciated.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I just noticed that he uses two hands when jumping. Is this some fidelity jump controls :question:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcvKiWKlDzI

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Tippis posted:

To quote my favourite bit ever from a Cyberpunk splatbook (where they discuss the options for buying "second-hand" or just second-rate cyberware at discounted prices):

Would you say it kicks above it's weight class? :rimshot:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Yeah, well that's just, like, your narrative, man.

:hmmyes:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I definitely must have missed something in Obra Dinn because I thought it was supposed to be some puzzle-y investigation game but I just walked around looking at stuff and not really solving or investigating anything for an hour before giving up in boredom.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Mr. Peepers posted:

I definitely must have missed something in Obra Dinn because I thought it was supposed to be some puzzle-y investigation game but I just walked around looking at stuff and not really solving or investigating anything for an hour before giving up in boredom.

....did you travel in time at all?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
It's too heavy.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

bbchops posted:

....did you travel in time at all?

Well I got about to the point where a giant squid attacked the ship. At no point did I feel like I was doing anything besides playing a walking simulator.

Like I said, I must have missed something along the way. :shrug:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

Totally red that in Russian accent.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pro-click as gently caress

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Mr. Peepers posted:

Well I got about to the point where a giant squid attacked the ship. At no point did I feel like I was doing anything besides playing a walking simulator.

Like I said, I must have missed something along the way. :shrug:

Not played myself because as I understand it, the game would be a lot better if I was in the right mindset where my wife and I could tackle it together and hopefully not have to resort to a guide. Maybe that's where you were too.

So these are non-spoilers from a dummb.

The entire setup of Obra Dinn is that you're solving a (many) murder(s) by using a magic watch to jump back in time where you can see the last moments of each character's life. The big letdown according to many is that the experience is largely open-world, so you can prematurely spoil some big reveals for yourself. The bit people are drooling over is that this is a little self-contained world, and all the narrative journeys you're opening up are all confined to the same physical location, which is kinda rare.

The end of the game can just be checking off the last names on your list without a Big Reward, if you had a "bad" sequence of reveals. It's more of an old-school puzzle game that people who hate railroaded modern narrative experiences are drooling over. If you view all of that as just a walking simulator because there isn't any shooting or anything, yes, it's a walking simulator where the only goal is to walk the entire 500 miles. Except 450 of those miles are back in time, at the same physical location in the past.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mr. Peepers posted:

Obra Dinn is an absolutely awesome game and one of the best games I ever played, BUT exactly the point mentioned is where you are completely lost imo because the mechanics don't click yet (and are never explained to you). The opening gives you three easy murders to solve as a tutorial, the next section with the kraken gives you another two, but then the whole inception stuff starts and you don't really understand what is happening and why after some time the game fades to black, then makes you chase some thingy, then takes you to another murder case etc.

It's the lowest point of the game, imo, and I can only suggest to power through it. As soon as you are into the next chapter or the one after (where stuff really gets going) you will understand the structure of the game and how it works, and that was the point where it absolutely hooked me like not many games before. I think the only game that gave me more open-mouthed "what the gently caress is going on?" moments this year is 13 Sentinels (another masterpiece).

Light spoilers explaining the mechanics:
the first time you access a murder scene, you only have a short time investing it, before getting taken back. If that murder scene led to another death, it will be signaled to you and you will have to chase some ghost thingy that points to the actual location (in your time) of the next corpse. The locations become way more important later on, when bodies are moved. Normally, these leads you through a whole chapter of the book, after which you can then recheck all the scenes with unlimited time, and check whats going on. In these sequences, there is usually a door to exit them. At this point, check your book which characters are now clear on the picture, and which are marked as easy (one triangle) to solve instead of medium or hard. Work up from there, and you usually get to the next chapter. At the beginning, new chapters also open up new decks of the ship.

revwinnebago posted:

The end of the game can just be checking off the last names on your list without a Big Reward, if you had a "bad" sequence of reveals.

That part is imo way earlier, where you have to make guesses that you actually can't know yet. The end is absolutely awesome because everything fits together in a very quick pace. It's about half-time imo where you have soooo many questions that sometimes you have to guess. IIRC there are only a couple deaths that are only solvable by excluding other fates at the same time.

Also a protip: do NOT guess around out of boredom if you have a dumb brain like me. You won't remember which fates you guessed, because a lot is going on later on that overwhelmed at least me

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 28, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The game does hint in the journal where the next body is found, while bodies in a chain force you through an skippable cutscene.

When you set foot on the Obra Dinn the place is abandoned, after spending an hour unlocking memories the place is littered with crime-scenes and chalk outlines. Pope had to make the unveiling of deaths occur in a certain order to avoid overwhelming with evidence from the get-go.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Mr. Peepers posted:

Wow

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mr. Peepers posted:

This is the Piss on Chris Roberts thread. The Bad Opinions thread is elsewhere.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The only really bad thing about Return of the Obra Dinn is that you can't experience it a second time, sadly :(

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

tuo posted:

The only really bad thing about Return of the Obra Dinn is that you can't experience it a second time, sadly :(

Its been two years. Hopefully other small-time developers are taking cues from it.

Better an Obra Dinn clone than yet another PT clone.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 28, 2020

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
CIG upstaged by lone developer once again:

https://twitter.com/andre_mc/status/1321466882692624385

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
The worm is... not a joke?

Man the delusion levels on the subreddit are too high. You have videos of broken and bugged things and the comments are full of how CIG is doing a good job and how they are actually the first people doing this feature the right way without cheating, never seen before etc...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Its been two years. Hopefully other small-time developers are taking cues from it.

Better an Obra Dinn clone than yet another PT clone.

I think I should sell some hard booze named "Obra Dinn Reset"....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

The worm is... not a joke?

Man the delusion levels on the subreddit are too high. You have videos of broken and bugged things and the comments are full of how CIG is doing a good job and how they are actually the first people doing this feature the right way without cheating, never seen before etc...

This is the wormhole of the thing.

1: Something CIG is trying to do
2: Somebody points out it's been done before
3: But not as good as CIG does it
4: CIGs version is either broke or not even in the game except as a YouTube video from 4 years ago
5: Somebody points that out
6: Nobody has put it in with "all these other mechanics in one game!"
7: Everybody else has done it but they "cheated" somehow (ie: got it to actually work in their game)
8: CIG has a whole universe of fidelitous content (according to the YouTube videos they link to)
9: CIGs version is better because they had to build a whole company also
10: CIGs version will be better because they are building it faster than your comparison game, which actually started development in 1906