Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

starbucks hermit posted:

having nano as the default editor sounds like a cheap april fool's joke

it’s the only Linux text editor that’s not completely hosed up unusable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

More to the point, it's good to have nano as the default because people people can figure out how to use (and exit it) even if they have never used it before, which can't be said about vi and emacs. Without this setting, git would apparently default to vi. People who want vi or emacs can change the setting.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if you can figure out vim you can trivially change your text editor. if you’re on desktop you should be using vscode anyways

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mystes posted:

More to the point, it's good to have nano as the default because people people can figure out how to use (and exit it) even if they have never used it before, which can't be said about vi and emacs. Without this setting, git would apparently default to vi. People who want vi or emacs can change the setting.

yeah. and even git is more intuitive to use than vim. and git sucks

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I will never use a gui to install Linux software if I can help it.

Well, if it can be scripted via Ansible then that would be ok too

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ooh are we doing text editors again?

nano is poo poo and if anyone actually cared about novice users they’d provide a cli editor that uses the same shortcuts as normal programs.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soricidus posted:

ooh are we doing text editors again?

it’s the Linux thread, so yeah. after this it’s sound cards

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

how bout tabs vs spaces

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scrotum Modem posted:

how bout tabs vs spaces
Ez

4 spaces but have your editor auto expand the tabs out so you don't have to type them.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Fedora 33 report:

For the first time since Fedora 22, I decided to do a fresh install because supposedly BTRFS is the new hotness.
The install went smooth, and about 40 minutes after booting into Fedora my computer hard-froze and refused to boot back into Fedora.

Reinstalled F33 with ext4 and it's been stable ever since.

BTRFS: Not even once.

butterfs still delivering that last tango in paris experience

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

it's not 1998 anymore get your phone out and google "help i am use vi what do" and click on any of the results. this criticism of vi hasn't been valid for a looong time

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I must be super lucky because I've used btrfs as root for like 8 years, when the Arch wiki page for it had a huge warning banner at the top, and still haven't had any problems. I think I even converted it from ext4 in-place to begin with.

I wouldn't use it for a new system but that's because I've learned about ZFS.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it's not 1998 anymore get your phone out and google "help i am use vi what do" and click on any of the results. this criticism of vi hasn't been valid for a looong time

Linux UX is asking people to take out their more user friendly device to troubleshoot the Linux device

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

xtal posted:

Linux UX is asking people to take out their more user friendly device to troubleshoot the Linux device

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

xtal posted:

that's a lot of what i get paid for so it's good and how things should be

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nano is great, i literally use it every day lool

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

same it's on every system and I have a keyboard with arrow keys so I don't need to learn vi

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
code:

EDITOR=nano visudo

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
i have literally never seen a person under 40 that is at all competent with vi

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
and like I'm gonna install emacs lmao

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

emacs is at least somewhat discoverable so foolish people can limp along for a while before they discover that it is single threaded and long running tasks in one window will hang all the others

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

emacs is at least somewhat discoverable so foolish people can limp along for a while before they discover that it is single threaded and long running tasks in one window will hang all the others

sounds like you're better off with an editor that's upfront about the challenges you'll face

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you're better off with an editor written in javascript running in a web browser tbh

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

dougdrums posted:

i have literally never seen a person under 40 that is at all competent with vi

sup

i even install vim on windows

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Did anyone say NixOS yet???

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sapozhnik posted:

can't believe people are actually advocating non-red hat linux unironically in here

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
“nano is a good choice because it’s not vi” is certainly a take

next on linux ux: why users should be encouraged to punch themselves in the balls instead of stabbing themselves in the balls

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs is good, nano is a sane default choice. you're all holding it wrong.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm sorry, why are we using editors that aren't standard? ed is the standard editor for a reason. Whenever I open nano I get confused by its weird interface (What's an ^ anyway?). Look at how consistent and clear ed is:
pre:
ag@209:~# ed
yospos
?
^C
?
^C
?
^C
?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
Killed

xtal posted:

I must be super lucky because I've used btrfs as root for like 8 years, when the Arch wiki page for it had a huge warning banner at the top, and still haven't had any problems. I think I even converted it from ext4 in-place to begin with.

I wouldn't use it for a new system but that's because I've learned about ZFS.

btrfs is fine in single-disk scenarios. It's when you get to Real Work applications where it really shows its deficiencies. ZFS makes handling huge storage machines a breeze and easy to service, with nice and friendly messages and documentation. I wouldn't trust btrfs with our current storage needs where we regularly add entire chassis filled with spinning rust just to feed the ever growing needs of nearline storage.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I love vi/vim and use it every day

Setting nano as the default is good, suck it up nerds

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Whenever I open nano I get confused by its weird interface (What's an ^ anyway?).

is this a joke I'm missing?

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 28, 2020

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

NihilCredo posted:

if I can install new applications _and_ I need a terminal-based text editor for some reason, I install micro. it's basically nano but for people who own razors, which is pretty good.

most of the time condition #2 doesn't apply and I throw another 0.3 gb of ram at vscode tho

e: for those who haven't heard of micro: micro-editor.github.io

code:
## Features

- Easy to use and install.
- No dependencies or external files are needed — just the binary you can download further down the page.
- Multiple cursors.
- Common keybindings (Ctrl-s, Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v, Ctrl-z, …).
  - Keybindings can be rebound to your liking.
- Sane defaults.
  - You shouldn't have to configure much out of the box (and it is extremely easy to configure).
- Splits and tabs.
- nano-like menu to help you remember the keybindings.
- Extremely good mouse support.
  - This means mouse dragging to create a selection, double click to select by word, and triple click to select by line.
- Cross-platform (it should work on all the platforms Go runs on).
  - Note that while Windows is supported Mingw/Cygwin is not (see below).
- Plugin system (plugins are written in Lua).
  - micro has a built-in plugin manager to automatically install, remove, and update plugins.
- Built-in diff gutter.
- Simple autocompletion.
- Persistent undo.
- Automatic linting and error notifications.
- Syntax highlighting for over [130 languages](runtime/syntax).
- Color scheme support.
  - By default, micro comes with 16, 256, and true color themes.
- True color support (set the `MICRO_TRUECOLOR` environment variable to 1 to enable it).
- Copy and paste with the system clipboard.
- Small and simple.
- Easily configurable.
- Macros.
- Common editor features such as undo/redo, line numbers, Unicode support, soft wrapping, …

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 28, 2020

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
nano sucks
vi(m) sucks
emacs sucks

ed is the only editor

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

one huge advantage of vi that no one mentioned yet is no matter what horrible thing your dipshit coworker did to the machine, it has vi. that alone is enough to make at least minimal vi knowledge worthwhile

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nomnom Cookie posted:

one huge advantage of vi that no one mentioned yet is no matter what horrible thing your dipshit coworker did to the machine, it has vi. that alone is enough to make at least minimal vi knowledge worthwhile

This. If you work on the cli, you should have basic vi skills, even if you use normally use a bad editor instead

mystes
May 31, 2006

Micro looks pretty decent.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Someone just mentioned NixOS and it doesn't come with vi. nano has been the default there for maybe ever.

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 28, 2020

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

e: for those who haven't heard of micro: micro-editor.github.io

code:
## Features

- Easy to use and install.
- No dependencies or external files are needed — just the binary you can download further down the page.
- Multiple cursors.
- Common keybindings (Ctrl-s, Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v, Ctrl-z, …).
  - Keybindings can be rebound to your liking.
- Sane defaults.
  - You shouldn't have to configure much out of the box (and it is extremely easy to configure).
- Splits and tabs.
- nano-like menu to help you remember the keybindings.
- Extremely good mouse support.
  - This means mouse dragging to create a selection, double click to select by word, and triple click to select by line.
- Cross-platform (it should work on all the platforms Go runs on).
  - Note that while Windows is supported Mingw/Cygwin is not (see below).
- Plugin system (plugins are written in Lua).
  - micro has a built-in plugin manager to automatically install, remove, and update plugins.
- Built-in diff gutter.
- Simple autocompletion.
- Persistent undo.
- Automatic linting and error notifications.
- Syntax highlighting for over [130 languages](runtime/syntax).
- Color scheme support.
  - By default, micro comes with 16, 256, and true color themes.
- True color support (set the `MICRO_TRUECOLOR` environment variable to 1 to enable it).
- Copy and paste with the system clipboard.
- Small and simple.
- Easily configurable.
- Macros.
- Common editor features such as undo/redo, line numbers, Unicode support, soft wrapping, …

unlike nano, this sounds like a modern user friendly editor suitable for use as a default in place of vi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Last Chance posted:

is this a joke I'm missing?

:cmon: