Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
infrastructure weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

redleader posted:

infrastructure weak

levees are heavy

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

75,000 evacuated, 11,000 acres on fire and the cause is likely yet another gently caress up from a power company, but it’s SCE instead of PG&E this time! Progress?

https://twitter.com/OCFA_PIO/status/1321118968401129472?s=20

And there’s another fire nearby too of course

https://twitter.com/OCFA_PIO/status/1321162843413114881?s=20

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Oct 27, 2020

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
didnt those the pumps go out during katrina?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Giga Gaia posted:

didnt those the pumps go out during katrina?

Orleans Parish pumping stations were mostly submerged. Jefferson Parish evacuated their pumping stations to protect the workers on the idea that they would have only been pumping to save property because there was an evacuation order on.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

One of our power generators for the pumps went out

https://twitter.com/NOLAnews/status/1320867806594899971

Literally 100 years old these things. The system is so old that it uses the wrong kind of electricity because it was built when there was a question as to what kind of electricity was going to be standard and the people who designed the pumping system for New Orleans went with the Betamax of electricity.

What in the gently caress, are they running on 25 Hz or something?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
New Orleans 4 uses the wrong kind of RAM

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Orleans Parish pumping stations were mostly submerged. Jefferson Parish evacuated their pumping stations to protect the workers on the idea that they would have only been pumping to save property because there was an evacuation order on.

ah. i just remember that event being the first time i heard about nolas ancient infrastructure (weak)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

I think so? They use 25-cycle electricity

https://www.nola.com/news/article_029513da-53b0-5a1f-b387-4dfe934bb780.html

quote:

More than 50 percent of the city’s pumps rely on an archaic 25-cycle power standard generated by in-house turbines at the Carrollton power plant, a remnant from the original drainage system put in place a century ago to pump rainwater out of the city.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Yep. They have a special 25 Hz generator for the 25 Hz pumps.

Apparently, the system was originally installed during the 1920s in the Niagara Falls area and this stuff was bought used by New Orleans in the 1950s.

Edit: Or perhaps not? Regardless of origin, it is true that the system literally dates back to the 1920s. One website said that some of the system was installed in 1915.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Oct 27, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It would cost a billion dollars to upgrade. So the city has found the visionary leadership to say "That's too much. We'll just continue to court disaster forever."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

PostNouveau posted:

It would cost a billion dollars to upgrade. So the city has found the visionary leadership to say "That's too much. We'll just continue to court disaster forever."

That and just waiting to be bailed out by the Feds in some fashion.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zil posted:

Joke's on them, the Feds have taken that approach to everything nowadays as well :negative:

Truly, visionary leadership after all, as they were the first movers~

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gods_Butthole posted:

levees are heavy

there's water in my pumping stations already

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
25Hz is pretty common for systems from that era - amtrak's high speed trains on the northeast corridor between DC and NYC and New Haven all run on 25Hz, as do commuter trains out of Philly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just unconscionable that in the 15 years after Katrina they didn't fix any of that

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/luckyshin/status/1320953885620531200?s=20

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

dang thats like... 1/900th of a facebook

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

donoteat posted:

25Hz is pretty common for systems from that era - amtrak's high speed trains on the northeast corridor between DC and NYC and New Haven all run on 25Hz, as do commuter trains out of Philly

Amtrak? + High Speed?

What are you smoking son? But seriously, that SEPTA system is insane. They were using ALL the original components in their substations until 2010. 80 years later! They seriously don't build em' like they used to.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
160mph from trenton to new brunswick starting later this year!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There is no loving way we could ever afford a BILLION dollars on infrastructure for a major city, just unthinkable, I mean do *~Bezos makes 3 Billion in a day and pays zero income taxes by deferring equity compensation and just taking out loans with his equity as collateral~* you have any idea what our budget is? A billion dollar project is literally unimaginable. Off the table. These dumb poor people should move out of a city that is UNDERWATER that is just them being DUMB AND STUPIDS

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Zil posted:

the feds already spent $14bil on the new floodworks after katrina

so yeah gotta lowball it wherever they can lol

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

i'm sorry I can't hear you begging for scraps over the sound of seven hundred billion dollars going through a paper shredder labeled "military-industrial complex"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

There is no loving way we could ever afford a BILLION dollars on infrastructure for a major city, just unthinkable, I mean do *~Bezos makes 3 Billion in a day and pays zero income taxes by deferring equity compensation and just taking out loans with his equity as collateral~* you have any idea what our budget is? A billion dollar project is literally unimaginable. Off the table. These dumb poor people should move out of a city that is UNDERWATER that is just them being DUMB AND STUPIDS

but but if we tax the rich how will the lower workers get all their money.. Read about it in my book the Trickle down Theory - Ronald Regan
now go back to California you dirty liberal.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The pthetic state of rail travel in the US is obvious but tking a train from the northeast to the south and having to switch to a diesel engine in washington DC really drives home the point considering the century we are in

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like this is getting no attention, but multiple states are about to get hit with a Cat 2 hurricane today

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ehh they've already been hit with one whats the worst that can happen more blue tarps blow off?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Moving real fast. Not too much panic around here. I think everyone's been ready for a hurricane for 3 months. It's expected to just blow right through, so not a lot of flooding concerns.

https://twitter.com/MargaretOrr/status/1321434068022665218

I am not looking forward to not having power for god knows how long

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagine if you lost power till after the election.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Imagine if you lost power till after the election.

*Emerges from bunker on Nov. 5*

So how'd it go?

Ahhhhhhh

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

PostNouveau posted:

*Emerges from bunker on Nov. 5*

So how'd it go?

Ahhhhhhh

Nice going, Trump will re-tweet this for sure. My daughter is literally on a flight to Dallas right now to transfer to a flight to FL. Her flight leaves at 6:30 PM from Dallas, flying over the Gulf. Hurricane Zeta is forecasted to be in that spot over Louisiana at 8:00 PM. Should I be worried?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

she'll get some baller pictures from her phone out the window. they'll either fly around it (Likely) or above it depending on it's height (Unlikely)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

They fly around hurricanes all the time it's not a big deal. Unless she's flying Southwest, Southwest gives zero fucks and will fly directly through any weather formation to save :10bux: on fuel.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pryor on Fire posted:

They fly around hurricanes all the time it's not a big deal. Unless she's flying Southwest, Southwest gives zero fucks and will fly directly through any weather formation to save :10bux: on fuel.

A few years ago there was that twitter thread as they watched a passenger flight fly between two arms of a hurricane to quickly pick up a bunch of people off an island

Found it:
https://twitter.com/AirlineFlyer/status/905433106475311104

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

lol drat its true

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

lol drat its true

wow i had no idea planes were so big

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

there's water in my pumping stations already

Katrina's spaghetti

It's flooded, and the water looks deep and scary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Storm is now at 110 mph sustained and coming in fast

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Seems like they're always too conservative on the storm strength. Like every storm in the Gulf this season has been predicted as a Cat 1 for large chunks of their lives and then they all strengthened way more. This was gonna be a Cat 1 all the way yesterday and now it's a Cat 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

Seems like they're always too conservative on the storm strength. Like every storm in the Gulf this season has been predicted as a Cat 1 for large chunks of their lives and then they all strengthened way more. This was gonna be a Cat 1 all the way yesterday and now it's a Cat 3.

If they warn it's a Cat 3 and it weakens to 1 then meatballs start going "Ahh, it's never that bad" and refuse to evacuate.