Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Have any of the crowdfunded MMOs managed to limp over the finishing line yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have any of the crowdfunded MMOs managed to limp over the finishing line yet?

Only if you count Shroud of the Avatar, which ended up not quite being an MMO and which managed to "release" after pretending they could just be in open beta all the time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Only if you count Shroud of the Avatar, which ended up not quite being an MMO and which managed to "release" after pretending they could just be in open beta all the time.

Also raised more money than EQ cost to develop in today's dollars lmao

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

I will never forget or disassociate Shroud of the Avatar with the fact that Richard Garriott was selling his blood to fund it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shroud of the Avatar is literally the only one, and it was a gigantic loving turd and still is. The devs have been trying to make the first paid expansion for it, but they failed to acquire funding. None of the remaining playerbase gave money to it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also raised more money than EQ cost to develop in today's dollars lmao

Well sure, but building engines and networking and assets and running servers is more...oh, hmm.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Shroud of the Avatar is literally the only one, and it was a gigantic loving turd and still is. The devs have been trying to make the first paid expansion for it, but they failed to acquire funding. None of the remaining playerbase gave money to it.

Didn't the original kickstarter meet the stretch goal for the game to have three chapters anyway? Without needing additional funding?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Node posted:

Didn't the original kickstarter meet the stretch goal for the game to have three chapters anyway? Without needing additional funding?

yeah but now the original company, portalarium, has been dissolved, and the new company which owns the game is just one of the senior devs and like, maybe two other guys working from home. they're not even close to releasing the second chapter but they keep trying to sell $8000 land plots, it's very lol

even the dissident dunking on the game subreddit has basically died as SOTA has dwindled to less than 100 regular players

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
surprised this limped along for a year after brads death, it was always gonna fail but Brad dying cut its funding to pretty much nothing

people bought in just for him and his cult of personality, nothing else

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
This is what happens when people get millions from Kickstarter and the original scope of the project is expanded so much that trying to make all those new pieces fit just bloats the project and by the time they should have been done, they're already asking for more money to actually finish the project because of all the crap they added.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought if a Kickstarter failed they didn’t get any of the money?

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I honestly feel like I, with no gaming or software development experience, could do a better job of delivering on a crowdfunded game than these guys.

I’m guessing this is what everyone feels before they launch their own crowdfunded mmo.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

desudrive posted:

This is what happens when people get millions from Kickstarter and the original scope of the project is expanded so much that trying to make all those new pieces fit just bloats the project and by the time they should have been done, they're already asking for more money to actually finish the project because of all the crap they added.

To be fair, the scope always included 'is an MMO' and that's just guaranteed failure for a poorly funded and inexperienced team.

though they only received large amounts of money because of that aspect and I'm sure they knew it, so essentially you're right.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

retpocileh posted:

I honestly feel like I, with no gaming or software development experience, could do a better job of delivering on a crowdfunded game than these guys.

Nope you're right because they spent two years doing it in a way that even I - having never made a game in my life - know is not the way you make a game like this:

Ehud posted:

you guys aren't gonna believe this. The team has no idea what they're doing and they're running out of money.

The latest newsletter explains why they have made so little progress in the past 2 years.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/producers-letter-october-2020/

In short - rather than designing scalable systems for things like quest implementation and boss encounters, they hardcoded everything. So when the design team came up with a quest, designed a boss encounter, wanted to use the perception system, etc. they had to submit everything to the dev team for implementation.

They finally realized how stupid their approach was and spent the last couple of years stripping everything back down and rebuilding the world and all the systems to be scalable. The problem was so bad that they had to completely rebuild the zones. They claim that they have now designed tools and an architecture that allows the creative folks to implement content on their own...you know, like an MMORPG should have...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

desudrive posted:

This is what happens when people get millions from Kickstarter

LuckyCat posted:

I thought if a Kickstarter failed they didn’t get any of the money?

Yeah, they only attracted about half of their $800K target, so unless they did it again on a "flexible funding" platform that I can't find, they didn't get a dime.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, they only attracted about half of their $800K target, so unless they did it again on a "flexible funding" platform that I can't find, they didn't get a dime.

I do recall that as soon as the KS failed they set up a donation page and encouraged everyone to donate the amount they submitted through Kickstarter. I know this because I’m a sucker.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

LuckyCat posted:

I do recall that as soon as the KS failed they set up a donation page and encouraged everyone to donate the amount they submitted through Kickstarter. I know this because I’m a sucker.

Can you do an ama?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said it earlier in the thread but the awful title was a giant red flag from the start.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The biggest red flag was McQuaid's involvement tbh. Most of the stuff that was good about EQ was poo poo the devs never intended and then, uh.... Vanguard. You'd have to be a giant sucker to see "Brad McQuaid's new MMO!" and think that it would be anything remotely enjoyable

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

Most of the stuff that was good about EQ was poo poo the devs never intended

Ain't it the truth. And Pantheon wants to remove all of that unintended stuff as well. No fun allowed.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
don't forget they've been charging for game time, forums access and additional bag space since 2014 or so

lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

The biggest red flag was McQuaid's involvement tbh. Most of the stuff that was good about EQ was poo poo the devs never intended and then, uh.... Vanguard. You'd have to be a giant sucker to see "Brad McQuaid's new MMO!" and think that it would be anything remotely enjoyable
there was some people here in this very forum defending this garbage and I have no idea why telling straight up facts about this scam hurt their feelings so much

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

FrostyPox posted:

I picked up Vanguard again about a year before it died for good and i really enjoyed it. Shame it had such lovely leadership and launched in the state it did

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

I picked up Vanguard again about a year before it died for good and i really enjoyed it. Shame it had such lovely leadership and launched in the state it did

It was really fun and cool to be the first person to discover an item :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The name of the game alone was a huge red flag.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

good news, everyone

New pre-alpha 5 footage just dropped!

looks like the game is almost finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGtB7F3ddBM

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The name of the game alone was a huge red flag.

I didn't really get it until I got it and then it was just lol

Ehud posted:

good news, everyone

They made it an anime?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

good news, everyone

even though this is basically a long sustained farting sound the stupid dual wielding generic everquest characters triggers something deep in my brain. it makes me want to waste a thousand hours in a low poly world. sign up for camps. fall off something and never get my corpse back.

ed: also lol it's hilarious watching this full party try to take down regular mobs by trying to carefully use CC spells, which are bugged and don't work like half the time, just at all

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Who could have predicted a game made by a man most famous for telling all his staff their was an ice cream party in the carpark only to go lol reversal of Fortune and give them severance documents instead of ice cream while rifling through their desks looking for pills to scarf would be a colossal fuckup who couldn't deliver on a project.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

cagliostr0 posted:

Who could have predicted a game made by a man most famous for telling all his staff their was an ice cream party in the carpark only to go lol reversal of Fortune and give them severance documents instead of ice cream while rifling through their desks looking for pills to scarf would be a colossal fuckup who couldn't deliver on a project.

I can not fathom treating your employees like that.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

retpocileh posted:

I can not fathom treating your employees like that.

You lack the vision necessary to create a truly engaging MMO.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

LMAO I forgot about that, what a fuckin' clown

That video... releasing a WoW clone in 2020 2021 2022....

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Frog Act posted:

even though this is basically a long sustained farting sound the stupid dual wielding generic everquest characters triggers something deep in my brain. it makes me want to waste a thousand hours in a low poly world. sign up for camps. fall off something and never get my corpse back.

ed: also lol it's hilarious watching this full party try to take down regular mobs by trying to carefully use CC spells, which are bugged and don't work like half the time, just at all

yeah the greyboxing/low poly has a certain charm and they ought to just roll with it as their final art style :colbert: low poly bear <3

the races and combat look pretty generic and muddy. i guess it's just my nostalgia but EQ's combat felt a lot crunchier and the characters had nice albeit goofy at times silhouettes. this kind of just looks like it plays like wow clone button masher.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Ehud posted:

good news, everyone

It looks like something put together using Unity in about 3 months.

However, there is a certain charm in how it looks and sounds. Maybe if this was their original alpha they had before putting it up on Kickstarter.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Cardboard Fox posted:

It looks like something put together using Unity in about 3 months.

That's because outside of like Faerthale that is quite literally accurate. This game is basically completely fresh since these young blood joined the team in like mid 2019 or whenever it was. Most of the time spent until now has been on Faerthale.

But I don't know about everyone else but Faerthale didn't even look that fun? I realise this game is more about reading and the storyline / getting immersed in the world etc but there just didn't look like that much poo poo to do. I'm real worried that there just isn't going to be enough lore / quests to keep anyone interested.

No minimap is great though. This is going to be super fun for exploring and learning the world.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Ehud posted:

good news, everyone

The comments in this...are we all watching the same video?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

hobocrunch posted:

That's because outside of like Faerthale that is quite literally accurate. This game is basically completely fresh since these young blood joined the team in like mid 2019 or whenever it was. Most of the time spent until now has been on Faerthale.

But I don't know about everyone else but Faerthale didn't even look that fun? I realise this game is more about reading and the storyline / getting immersed in the world etc but there just didn't look like that much poo poo to do. I'm real worried that there just isn't going to be enough lore / quests to keep anyone interested.

No minimap is great though. This is going to be super fun for exploring and learning the world.

But it has climbing mechanics damnit. CLIMBING. NO ONE HAS DONE CLIMBING MECHANICS YET

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cmdrk posted:

the races and combat look pretty generic and muddy. i guess it's just my nostalgia but EQ's combat felt a lot crunchier and the characters had nice albeit goofy at times silhouettes. this kind of just looks like it plays like wow clone button masher.

Agreed. Even if development wasn't a dumpster fire I was not feeling the races/classes at all. EQ races had way more character to them.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Verbose posted:

The comments in this...are we all watching the same video?

Not a single critical comment on that video. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Game is going beyond my expectations, getting all excited again. If this is the raw stuff, we are for one hell of a ride once complete.