Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Nintendo Switch
Framerate Issues

Pick two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nightdive dude in here who worked on the Strife port, is that launch sale happening?
Love the stuff you all do!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Truman Sticks posted:

Nintendo Switch
Framerate Issues

Pick two

someone hasn't played sega ages virtua racing. talk about c r i s p

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Weedle posted:

someone hasn't played sega ages virtua racing. talk about c r i s p

I haven't played it, but I'm not surprised. Sega probably had some leftover blast processing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Look I'm not laughing at noticing or complaining about the frame rate issues. That's a real thing and it sucks. But I gotta chuckle at the naivety of "hope they fix this before release" like have you been paying attention to the Switch for the past 3 years?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mario Odyssey went from 30fps in previews to 60fps so who knows

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The last Warriors game had frame rate issues on the Wii U so I'm not going to blame Nintendo on this one. At least not wholly

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was surprised when Link’s Awakening was released with framerate issues that persist to this day. I feel like Nintendo has always made sure that their first party titles run smoothly, but it’s apparent they have relaxed their standards.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ocarina of time ran at like 20 frames originally they dont care

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LuckyCat posted:

I was surprised when Link’s Awakening was released with framerate issues that persist to this day. I feel like Nintendo has always made sure that their first party titles run smoothly, but it’s apparent they have relaxed their standards.

I guess both LA and HW were developed outside of Nintendo's first party studios, so maybe they had less of an iron grip on that sort of thing?

It's a shame. I didn't care about LA's performance issues but AoC's could definitely impact my enjoyment of it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pikmin 3 runs at the same resolution as the Wii U version which is very weird. Nintendo seems sloppier on the Switch overall

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's why you put two Switches next to each other, then you get double the frame rate.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I give the Switch poo poo for bad framerate issues but honestly every console this gen in my opinion has had framerate stability issues. I don't mind 30 fps games but it's the hitching and slowdown to 15-20 fps that I'm sensitive to.

Video games are hard to make and I'm sure every developer in the world would prefer that their game run smoothly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Age of Calamity demo was sick as hell..But I hope something is done to ease these framerate issues for the full game.

Almost worse is the dynamic resolution scaling that dips it down to what feels like 240x320

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also control is cool, it looks really good and runs really smooth on my switch/wifi, but the killer for me is the half second of input lag.

No thanks :barf:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I loved Killer7, but I absolutely dropped off of NMH1 back in the day because it was leaning so much into the whole "DON'T FORGET YOU'RE PLAYING A V I D E O G A M E!" that I just couldn't take it. I love goofy game stuff, but this felt goofy while trying to be more than that, and it didn't work for me.

Am I safe in assuming that that continues throughout the rest of the series?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Truman Sticks posted:

I give the Switch poo poo for bad framerate issues but honestly every console this gen in my opinion has had framerate stability issues. I don't mind 30 fps games but it's the hitching and slowdown to 15-20 fps that I'm sensitive to.

Video games are hard to make and I'm sure every developer in the world would prefer that their game run smoothly.

Switch is objectively worse tho

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I loved Killer7, but I absolutely dropped off of NMH1 back in the day because it was leaning so much into the whole "DON'T FORGET YOU'RE PLAYING A V I D E O G A M E!" that I just couldn't take it. I love goofy game stuff, but this felt goofy while trying to be more than that, and it didn't work for me.

I felt like NMH2 backed off of that some, though Travis Strikes Again cranked it right back up.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
The switch is just giving you an opportunity to enjoy each hand crafted Artisanal frame

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

I'm not real sure what you're asking, but in nmh2 they address the fact that it's a sequel. Additionally, you get money by doing 8-bit minigames where a pixelated Travis says LETS GO in a poorly sampled sound clip.

The game also attempts a more overt moral revenge is wrong!! but it gets muddled pretty bad.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

RuBisCO posted:

Has there been any work done on NMH1/2? I assume it's at least just an up res'd port to 1080p, but I wonder if anything from the 360/PS3 port made it in.

I heard a rumor that now if you beat the last secret boss without getting hit Shinobu takes her clothes off and its actually Dr Peace in disguise.

I love both no more heroes games because they're goofy and dumb as hell. Theyre sometimes no fun to play frustrating messes and I can't recommend them at all even after beating them both at least twice.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 28, 2020

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

I remember thinking that open world in nmh1 was super anemic, long before I had actually played any open world games like GTA

Assassin Stages are still ace though

"Anemic" is a perfect word to describe the open world. It's clear they bit off a little more than they could chew, and its why they went to a menu for the second game

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Mega64 posted:

That's why you put two Switches next to each other, then you get double the frame rate.

eh i'm not falling for the nintendo tax by buying extra poo poo, i'll just wait for the switch pro where they already come taped together

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Friend gifted me Mario Kart and wow, after playing the mobile game for the past 2 weeks I forgot how insanely pretty a console Mario Kart could look. Absolutely gorgeous tbh.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Got to try Control... That was certainly a choice streaming it to the Switch.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the switch has the worst wifi range in a console I've used so I cant imagine streaming a game on it and having any positive experience. not that it matters since I dont think streaming games are ever releasing in australia.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Tried Control on both settings with my Switch on ethernet, performance mode was smooth sailing and graphics mode was a bit choppy but would have been playable, though I always go for performance when given the choice.

That said nothing really happens in the short time the demo gives you that would tax the stream very much so maybe it goes to poo poo later on. I don't think I'll buy it at any rate. Hitman I'd be more tempted by

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
came to see if anyone is as excited about Part Time UFO as I am and instead got a bunch of bad takes about the SCP wiki :smith:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bleck posted:

came to see if anyone is as excited about Part Time UFO as I am and instead got a bunch of bad takes about the SCP wiki :smith:

It’s an adorable game and another winner from HAL. Feels like a DSi eshop game or gameboy advance game in all the good ways

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, can someone dumb down how cloud streaming services actually work? Like, you're getting a direct-feed video (?) of the game being played from another single computer, right?

So if a million people are using their million Switches to each stream a copy of this game, like.... How does that even happen at that scale? :psyduck: And I fully realize that 1 million is low if you think of all of the people doing this with Stadia.

I guess I just can't comprehend how many resources are needed to successfully pull this off. I get cloud storage, because hey, 1gb here and there on a massive hard drive is like nothing. That, I can picture on a grand scale. But streaming a resource-intense game? :stare:

And yet, it happens, so either I'm missing something (like some sort of compression algorithm that helps scale this down), or it really is that much of an undertaking, server-side.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok, can someone dumb down how cloud streaming services actually work? Like, you're getting a direct-feed video (?) of the game being played from another single computer, right?

So if a million people are using their million Switches to each stream a copy of this game, like.... How does that even happen at that scale? :psyduck: And I fully realize that 1 million is low if you think of all of the people doing this with Stadia.

I guess I just can't comprehend how many resources are needed to successfully pull this off. I get cloud storage, because hey, 1gb here and there on a massive hard drive is like nothing. That, I can picture on a grand scale. But streaming a resource-intense game? :stare:

And yet, it happens, so either I'm missing something (like some sort of compression algorithm that helps scale this down), or it really is that much of an undertaking, server-side.

here's how you order another computer instance at amazon: click button

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nightdive dude in here who worked on the Strife port, is that launch sale happening?
Love the stuff you all do!

We're still trying to make that sale happen, put simply the sale just broke and we have to very slowly repair the whole thing.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I'm glad there is a demo for Hyrule Warriors. Turns out I'm not a fan.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Virtual machines

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
From Geforce Now, it can range from 4Gig an Hour (Data Saver / Low settings), to 6Gig an Hour (Competitive / Online gameplay settings), right up to 10Gig an Hour (Balanced / High settings). Stadia had similar rates from what I heard.

I tried Control on Switch and Geforce Now this evening. Performance was serviceable on Switch in Performance Mode, while Graphics Mode was a stuttering mess. Geforce Now was very smooth on PC where it was more like Graphics Mode than Performance Mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are the NMH ports good? I’ve always wanted to play these games.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
With regards to Age of Calamity framerate one thing I am glad for is that it seems to be the type that is visually noticeable but doesn't interfere with the flow of gameplay, at least for me.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Nep-Nep posted:

With regards to Age of Calamity framerate one thing I am glad for is that it seems to be the type that is visually noticeable but doesn't interfere with the flow of gameplay, at least for me.

most framerate dips in games are like this, people online are just extremely Online about it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I need to fix drift on a joycon or two. Any recommendations on replacement sticks? I saw an ifixit guide that looks simple enough, but they want $15 per stick which seems expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

canyoneer posted:

I need to fix drift on a joycon or two. Any recommendations on replacement sticks? I saw an ifixit guide that looks simple enough, but they want $15 per stick which seems expensive.

Just have Nintendo do it for free.

I notice the frame dips in Hyrule Warriors but every Warriors game I’ve ever played has that so it doesn’t really bother me.