Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lockback posted:

Couple cross-buy Oculus games on sale:
Wands: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1833318536683635/
Down the Rabbit Hole: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2436356466482809
Some 3D modeling thing: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1018110521596029

I dunno what wands is but I got Down the Rabbit Hole, that's supposed to be short but real good.

PokerstarsVR is free and really good poker.
Beat Saber is like, the default VR Game.
Pistol Whip is also a good title, easy to pick up though I kinda got bored with it
Thrill of the Fight is a boxing game that is more like a shadow-boxing simulator instead of a something gamified. It's a helluva workout, like a 20 minute session will wear you the hell out.

If you can play PCVR with a tether or Virtual Desktop I'd also suggest:
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades (One of my personal favorites)
Half Life: Alyx (Probably the best VR game from a production, polish standpoint)
The Forest (VR is "Beta" but works well and its a fun full-fledged game, you need a little better sea legs in VR though)

Played some of the stuff you suggested. Thanks, Beat Saber is a blast.

Btw what is the consensus best headset? I have a Oculus Quest 2 but I have put an order for Valve Index as well.

Also is it true Facebook can ban your account for no reason or is it all overblown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I vaguely recall some mild motion sickness really early on, while still figuring out setup and performance issues, but it has been zero issue for me with properly functioning hardware and software. If anything, I've occasionally gotten queasy after getting out of VR and trying to acclimate to the real world again.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
+1 for Pokerstars VR. It's...well, poker. But it has a good community and people will even chat a lot of the time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

+1 for Pokerstars VR. It's...well, poker. But it has a good community and people will even chat a lot of the time.

With the usual online multiplayer caveat that sometimes you wish they didn't chat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it dont matter posted:

I did not but I am interested now. Will have to look them up.

Ubisoft has always had an indie bent hidden behind all of their generic open world games. Beyond their previously mentioned VR output, they've always had low key stuff like Rayman, Unravel etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I definitely had some motion sickness on day 1, and then in ultra wings a couple weeks later, when the game glitched out and the plane rotated 90 degrees from me over about 5 seconds I nearly lost my lunch

By the end of week 3 my eyes and inner ear were mostly fully adjusted

I think also at launch there was some weirdness with the buggy tracking that caused motion sickness. Motion tracking has really improved, which helped a lot

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

With the usual online multiplayer caveat that sometimes you wish they didn't chat.

They have a really good mute system in pokerstars. You can mute their voice, their props or their body individually or in any combination.

I have literally never had to do it though.

It’s nice if you find a toxic player though because you don’t HAVE to hear or see someone to play the game

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it dont matter posted:

AGOS just came out today. Only played it briefly, but so far it's interesting. Weird, unique little space survival game where you pootle about in a probe using somewhat realistic physics. Not sure how this is a Ubisoft release. Must have been a rogue team who somehow snuck it in under the radar. It feels like an indie project.

weird how there has been basically no marketing

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

it dont matter posted:

AGOS just came out today. Only played it briefly, but so far it's interesting. Weird, unique little space survival game where you pootle about in a probe using somewhat realistic physics. Not sure how this is a Ubisoft release. Must have been a rogue team who somehow snuck it in under the radar. It feels like an indie project.

I'm interesting in that game so please go on with the report on the following days.

Although I'm busy right now, I just bought Squadrons.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Hello, thread, I have a question that I'm having difficulty getting a straight answer on: I have a Vive set-up with the Index controllers. Can the Quest 2 be used with Steam VR and the Index controllers using the PC link cable without having to use some weird software to jerry-rig the whole thing together?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Duck_King posted:

Hello, thread, I have a question that I'm having difficulty getting a straight answer on: I have a Vive set-up with the Index controllers. Can the Quest 2 be used with Steam VR and the Index controllers using the PC link cable without having to use some weird software to jerry-rig the whole thing together?

Not sure but look here https://www.windowscentral.com/what-vr-headsets-can-you-use-valve-knuckles-controllers

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You know what, I'm not totally convinced with the Elite Strap. It's a strap that feels much better the second you put it, in comparison with the first impression of the original strap. But playing 1 hour with it, and dunno, it is like it doesn't fit my head shape well, it isn't that much better from my previous normal strap + cheap counterweight I was using.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 28, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's also apparently fragile as all hell.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone point me to the closest VR game to the Starship Troopers movie that isn't vaporware? I got good vibes from the antlions in Alex that made me crave it and it makes me want to sit in an outpost and get overwhelmed by arachnids. I've done some searching but it seems i'm out of luck but maybe i've missed something

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

You know what, I'm not totally convinced with the Elite Strap. It's a strap that feels much better the second you put it, in comparison with the first impression of the original strap. But playing 1 hour with it, and dunno, it is like it doesn't fit my head shape well, it isn't that much better from my previous normal strap + cheap counterweight I was using.

There are already a few third party options for straps. I'm kinda interested in this halo style GOMRVR one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jiypdm/gomrvr_halo_strap_goquestvr_clone_is_actually_not/

The guy was pretty positive about it, and it seems like it's really effective at taking the pressure off your face.

Personally I'm gonna wait and see what people are saying about all the options in a month or two, see how it all shakes out. I'm just using the soft straps for now and I actually find them decent once I have it set up properly, adjusting those straps is a pain though.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

DoubleT2172 posted:

Can anyone point me to the closest VR game to the Starship Troopers movie that isn't vaporware? I got good vibes from the antlions in Alex that made me crave it and it makes me want to sit in an outpost and get overwhelmed by arachnids. I've done some searching but it seems i'm out of luck but maybe i've missed something

I wish. The closest thing I've played to that is Serious Sam the Last Hope. If only they made a vr EDF game just based on the fencer class, I would be in heaven. I really need to learn how to code. I can do the modeling though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Duck_King posted:

There's definitely no straightforward way to do it. I think it can be done, but definitely not straightforward or easy. https://github.com/pushrax/OpenVR-SpaceCalibrator

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

This might be no help depending on what platforms you own, since it's a PSVR exclusive, but Farpoint is exactly what you are looking for.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DoubleT2172 posted:

Check out https://steamcommunity.com/app/546560/workshop/, maybe there's a mod in there? Someone apparently made the opening level from Goldeneye 64. No idea what the quality is like but maybe something can scratch that itch. Or you can start making it yourself! :P

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Does DLSS matter at all for VR games? Are smaller developers paying any attention to it or is Nvidia just stuffing money into AAA's pockets?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ott_ posted:

Does DLSS matter at all for VR games? Are smaller developers paying any attention to it or is Nvidia just stuffing money into AAA's pockets?

DLSS isn't compatible with VR games, at least for now. I think the newer version is going to support it:
https://www.roadtovr.com/nvidias-latest-dlss-2-1-supersampling-now-supports-vr/

And well, to be honest DLSS right now is limited to a dozen select AAA titles. Forget VR games, even 90% of 'normal' games doesn't support it. It seems Nvidia has to make a deal with the devs.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

DoubleT2172 posted:

Alyx has mod support, commission/make a mod for fighting hundreds of ant lions at once

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SCheeseman posted:

It's also apparently fragile as all hell.

I wanted Facebook to copy Pimax's 200-degree FOV... not their build quality lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

DLSS isn't compatible with VR games, at least for now. I think the newer version is going to support it:
https://www.roadtovr.com/nvidias-latest-dlss-2-1-supersampling-now-supports-vr/

And well, to be honest DLSS right now is limited to a dozen select AAA titles. Forget VR games, even 90% of 'normal' games doesn't support it. It seems Nvidia has to make a deal with the devs.

Yeah, unfortunately its different enough you can't just force plug it in, the game engine needs to call the DLSS library with specific params in order for it to have the data it needs to work.

The good news though is while DLSS 1.0 required generating a game-specific machine learning network, the 2.0 approach is game-independent. So we're getting closer to it being something the industry at wide can adopt.

Happyimp posted:

I wish. The closest thing I've played to that is Serious Sam the Last Hope. If only they made a vr EDF game just based on the fencer class, I would be in heaven. I really need to learn how to code. I can do the modeling though.

Hey if you can build a Arachnid model and don't mind giving it to me, I can plug it into the VR shooter I'm working on :cheeky: I'll need animations too though, can't map a humanoid biped animation to a 8-legged alien spider monster.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nalin posted:

1 = 58
2 = 63
3 = 68

Try putting it between the 1 and the 2. The system actually understands the half-way points. You will get closer to your 61 if you do that.

I would worry about it damaging the mechanism, trying to wedge it permanently between two positions, but maybe thats unfounded on my part.

DoubleT2172 posted:

Man... i dont' even know. Everything i can think of thats a sort of horde mode, the gameplay is focused on zombies and nothing but, pretty much. Someone already mentioned serious sam but... maybe some stuff like Robo Recall or Sairento where you're killing hordes of robots/people coming at you? This is really stretching it but some of the random encounters in From Other Suns have you clearing a base of aliens, or having your ship get boarded and fighting off the intruders. Maybe that warhammer 40k game coming out will have some feel of that sci fi shootie tootie? Dunno but it looked pretty generic from the one video.

Thats a tough call though for something in a starship troopers vibe. Its kind of surprising really.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm super prone to motion sickness. When I got the Quest I tried Vader Immortal with smooth motion and immediately stopped. I didn't do anything more with it until Alyx came out. Weirdly after playing it a little and switching to both smooth motion and turning I did ok and have since.

I do have to make sure I stay still when moving, especially turning and only physically turn after I've stopped. Ive been trying the VR Rocker program where you move by actually walking in place, but haven't found good settings. It needs inertia set high so you travel further with each step, but then you continue forward a good bit after stopping. For some reason that really annoys my brain and makes me feel ill quick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, in general the stuff that makes me feel sickest is "I am moving in a direction I am not intending to" When something causes me to move different, like a vehicle or something, I have to brace myself.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

veni veni veni posted:

I said to quit or switch to teleport. Ymmv but if you are about to hurl, obviously quit playing. It's not like continuing to play is even an option if you are in that state. If you are experiencing minor discomfort it might be nbd to take a short break or switch to teleport.

I was in VRChat checking out this cool underwater world. A dolphin swam by so I hopped on its back and oh god I immediately regretted that decision because I got extremely sea sick. I was dizzy for over an hour afterwards. I took that headset off so fast, holy poo poo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone here have Valve Index? Any experience with that? I currently have Quest 2, like it but it seems people suggest Index for the bigger budget games?

Also is it possible to play the playstation VR exclusives with PlaystationVR and any word if PSvr is compatible with ps5?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
psvr uses its own cobbled together tracking system and isn’t compatible with PCvr or vice versa unfortunately

my buddy has the index and it’s supposed to be wicked. 144hz refresh and the controllers are sick. unfortunately though you have to deal with external base stations for tracking

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ulio posted:

Does anyone here have Valve Index? Any experience with that? I currently have Quest 2, like it but it seems people suggest Index for the bigger budget games?

The Index is a great headset with dumb gimmick controllers (though opinions are split there). I've not used the Quest 2, but I doubt the Index would be so much better that it's worth dropping a thousand dollars on one. Wait for something more "next gen."

If you want to get a high-end PCVR headset now, then keep an eye on reviews for the upcoming Reverb G2. On paper, it looks like it'll be good poo poo for much less money than the Index.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ulio posted:

Also is it possible to play the playstation VR exclusives with PlaystationVR and any word if PSvr is compatible with ps5?

I have an index but I don’t have anything to compare it to. I love it. Some people don’t like the knuckles but I thought they were great in Alyx, which some people also don’t like, but I felt like all the interactions were so natural, I don’t have any memory of thinking about how to interact with the environment, just did it.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey if you can build a Arachnid model and don't mind giving it to me, I can plug it into the VR shooter I'm working on :cheeky: I'll need animations too though, can't map a humanoid biped animation to a 8-legged alien spider monster.

Yeah, shouldn't be too hard, since insect parts don't morph when they move. Was going to work on the mechs from robot jox, but I've been to depressed to make anything for myself lately. Making something for someone else should be easier.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Happyimp posted:

Was going to work on the mechs from robot jox

We can live!

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Bad Munki posted:

I have an index but I don’t have anything to compare it to. I love it. Some people don’t like the knuckles but I thought they were great in Alyx, which some people also don’t like, but I felt like all the interactions were so natural, I don’t have any memory of thinking about how to interact with the environment, just did it.

Ditto, I think the knuckles are great but also they give me calluses in climbing games from squeezing too hard. Maybe that's up to certain games not having good enough haptics though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

star eater posted:

unfortunately though you have to deal with external base stations for tracking

This really isn't some big headache like people make it out to be; Lighthouses aren't like the Oculus cameras where you have to run them specifically to your PC, all they need is to be plugged into the wall for power and you can forget they exist.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Shine posted:

The Index is a great headset with dumb gimmick controllers (though opinions are split there). I've not used the Quest 2, but I doubt the Index would be so much better that it's worth dropping a thousand dollars on one.

I have both the Index and the Quest 2, and the Quest 2 screens and lenses are so much better. I haven't played with Link yet, but the native games are very impressive.

The Index does have a larger FOV but it never really wowed me, it's mostly an increase vertically and I would have really preferred a wider FOV instead. I also hate the lenses because you have to get your eyes positioned just right and it has some pretty heinous god rays.

Index does have very nice audio, but it's also not that hard to mount some better headphones to your quest 2 if you don't like the sound pipes. I've actually been surprised by how good the sound is on Quest 2, but index is clearly the winner on that front.

And I agree about the gimmick controllers. One of the most important actions in VR is grabbing things so having that work reliably is critical to forgetting about the controller in your hand. Making it rely on touch sensors makes it unreliable and annoying.

Oh, and Index does have the high refresh rates, but for me I almost always kept it at 90 because I didn't have the extra performance to actually use the 120 in most titles.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
good point

re: lighthouses being plug and forget

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Shine posted:

We can live!

ephori fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ott_ posted:

Ditto, I think the knuckles are great but also they give me calluses in climbing games from squeezing too hard. Maybe that's up to certain games not having good enough haptics though.

Maybe mess around with the angle of the straps? Trying the different detents at the top made a world of difference for me and my small tremendously presidential hands.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 29, 2020