Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

synapse posted:

I voted in person in Dupage County. The first thing that shows up is the amendment in full screen. It feels different than the rest of the ballot. Someone voting near me did not know what it was. The poll worker said "that's JB's thing". If you skip the vote, it's counted as a No

This ain't passing

So this was my first election voting in DuPage county, quick question: Do we normally have these "cops are giant babies please vote to coddle them" amendments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I think they can only have 3 local resolutions on the ballot at a time. So you tend to get non-binding useless questions to keep something meaningful from finding its way onto the ballot.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I feel like a lot of this could've been avoided if they had just slashed "A tax on or measured by income shall be at a non-graduated rate" from the section, such that a small child could understand exactly what changes were and were not being made. As it is, I don't see the amendment passing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

So this was my first election voting in DuPage county, quick question: Do we normally have these "cops are giant babies please vote to coddle them" amendments?

During the 2018 general there were also 3 propositions which were also kind of useless. Useless in a different way, presumably the current ones got on because it's a hot topic or whatever.

2018 General Election posted:

Shall DuPage County oppose the General Assembly instituting a property tax increase equivalent to 1% of your home’s value to help retire state debt?

Shall DuPage County oppose the creation of a statewide Vehicle Mileage Tax (VMT) which would tax DuPage County citizens based upon the number of miles driven annually?

Shall DuPage County continue to dissolve and consolidate units of local government to reduce costs, increase efficiencies, and increase accountability?

The sample ballots I found online only go back to 2018 (that was my first election in IL) so I can't say about earlier years. But I seem to remember a lot of discussion about taxes that year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

How come I feel like the Fair Tax Amendment is just like Brexit. If it fails, the general assembly is probably going to pass a tax hike for the entire state. Then you'll have a whole bunch of people going, "what, they can raise my taxes? But I voted No!". It's going to be a bunch of people voting against it, and not knowing a loving thing on what they're voting against.

God I wish somebody would poll the state on this thing.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Well, IHSA is going against the IDPH by allowing winter sports (including basketball).

Also, I agree that the Fair Tax will probably not pass a d that will lead to a tax on everyone.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It is very weird no one has released a poll of any kind on it considering how well-funded both sides are.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

You could spend money on that or you could spend money on your buddies in the advertising industry.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

You could spend money on that or you could spend money on your buddies in the advertising industry.

I know we all like to be cynical here but there are plenty of greedy assholes who still pay for polls

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

It is very weird no one has released a poll of any kind on it considering how well-funded both sides are.

I am absolutely certain that both sides are polling the poo poo out of it and just not releasing the results which probably means it's on a razor's edge whether it's going to pass or not.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I would assume someone has done internal polling, but just aren’t sharing. My guess is that’s it’s very close. If it was lopsided, we might have seen some ads taper off. This is just a gut feeling though.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Bird in a Blender posted:

How come I feel like the Fair Tax Amendment is just like Brexit. If it fails, the general assembly is probably going to pass a tax hike for the entire state. Then you'll have a whole bunch of people going, "what, they can raise my taxes? But I voted No!".

I, for one, am already planning to openly laugh at these people and dish out a lot of "told you so"s. The propaganda job the anti-side did here was truly amazing in how thoroughly it's convinced a number of people to directly vote against their interest.

Nothing funnier than driving past a gargantuan house in Oak Brook recently and seeing their big sign out front saying "VOTE NO, because we can't afford another tax hike."

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I also think it won't pass but anecdotally I will say ive had casual conversations with several very low information voters at work and they all said they voted yes so who knows.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Source4Leko posted:

I also think it won't pass but anecdotally I will say ive had casual conversations with several very low information voters at work and they all said they voted yes so who knows.

Some aspiring republicans in my family voted against. I think people are just confused.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Some aspiring republicans in my family voted against. I think people are just confused.

Almost as if, in aggregate, we're mindless drones regurgitating whatever message the ruling class broadcasts into our eyeballs.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I've been phone banking for the Fair Tax and they had us switch to GOTV on Saturday, which feels like a good sign - the Bernie campaign didn't switch to GOTV until the last weekend.

I really hope the General Assembly has the balls to immediately start taxing retirement income during the veto session if the amendment fails.

How come I feel like the Fair Tax Amendment is just like Brexit. If it fails, the general assembly is probably going to pass a tax hike for the entire state. Then you'll have a whole bunch of people going, "what, they can raise my taxes? But I voted No!". It's going to be a bunch of people voting against it, and not knowing a loving thing on what they're voting against.

God I wish somebody would poll the state on this thing.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The local Facebook groups are hopping with lists of restaurants staying open in suburban Cook and DuPage Counties.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A restaurant owner in Wheaton that agreed to close is getting harassed by owners in town that didn't close. Nothing serious, just a lot of "why would you do this?!" type stuff.

It's a free country as long as you do what the chuds want you to do. :downs:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I was wondering why I've been seeing a lot of adds to retain Judge Kilbride on youtube in the last week, and turns out a poo poo ton of money is getting spent on that retention vote.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/poli...zue4-story.html

Seems like they are trying to get the court to stalemate just to try and keep it even until '22.

quote:

Kilbride needs the approval of 60% voters to win retention to a third 10-year term. No opponent runs in a retention contest.

If Kilbride loses his retention bid, the court’s remaining six justices would seek to find an interim appointment until a replacement could be elected in two years.

One scenario Republicans are mulling is that the six justices ― three from each party ― would deadlock on a temporary Kilbride replacement and keep the court evenly balanced. That could come in handy if a politically charged issue, such as redrawing legislative boundaries, comes before the high court during the next two years. The final step in the Republican hope of taking control of the court would be to win the Kilbride seat outright against a Democratic opponent in 2022.

I guess the algorithm has my number as I've only seen pro retain adds and only 1 anti fair tax add.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 30, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bugsy posted:

I was wondering why I've been seeing a lot of adds to retain Judge Kilbride on youtube in the last week, and turns out a poo poo ton of money is getting spent on that retention vote.

Seems like they are trying to get the court to stalemate just to try and keep it even until '22.

I guess the algorithm has my number as I've only seen pro retain adds and only 1 anti fair tax add.

Well, poo poo, now I'm wondering if voting "No" on him was bad :(

Earlier this month, the attack on him was something about him ruling against some anti-gerrymandering case.

Ended up going with (what I thought was) the tried-and-true Goonsensus of "Vote no on all the judges, and let God sort 'em out" :ohdear:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

A restaurant owner in Wheaton that agreed to close is getting harassed by owners in town that didn't close. Nothing serious, just a lot of "why would you do this?!" type stuff.

It's a free country as long as you do what the chuds want you to do. :downs:

Gimme them names so I can spend my money wisely, please?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deathlove posted:

Gimme them names so I can spend my money wisely, please?

That Altiro place, which we've never eaten at but I guess we should now.

Adelle's is sad too because they spent a heap of money installing a new vent and filter system but are going to close as well. I don't know of them getting harassed though.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Thank you for this. I was wondering about the attack ads as well. I had never seen them for a judge prior to this year.

I assumed it was something sinister and well, Republicans, so, guess I was right.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

That Altiro place, which we've never eaten at but I guess we should now.

Adelle's is sad too because they spent a heap of money installing a new vent and filter system but are going to close as well. I don't know of them getting harassed though.

Is Adelle's closing for good?? Or just closing dining-in?

And yeah, good on Altiro, haven't been there yet, either. gently caress I guess *checks map of Wheaton restaurants* just about every other restaurant in this town, though?

Do you have a source? (just so I can discuss with my partner)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deathlove posted:

Is Adelle's closing for good?? Or just closing dining-in?

And yeah, good on Altiro, haven't been there yet, either. gently caress I guess *checks map of Wheaton restaurants* just about every other restaurant in this town, though?

Do you have a source? (just so I can discuss with my partner)

Yeah, my wife. :v:

She's on some Wheaton facebook group and I don't use it so am no help but that's where she got it. If I remember I'll ask her when she gets home tonight.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I just finished a project at Wheaton College, and now I have a new project starting at Cantigny Park. I really need to get my company to stop sending me to Wheaton.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
hey! read a worse post down there vvv

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Yeah, my wife. :v:

She's on some Wheaton facebook group and I don't use it so am no help but that's where she got it. If I remember I'll ask her when she gets home tonight.

fair! looks like Adelle's is still open, so that's nice.

I just finished a project at Wheaton College, and now I have a new project starting at Cantigny Park. I really need to get my company to stop sending me to Wheaton.

To its credit, I thought I'd see way less Casten/Biden stuff than I have this season, but if anything says "centrist liberalism", it's Wheaton.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Going to quote this post from USPOL because it's about Illinois cops being bad.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
These guys have to have the tiniest dicks to think of weapons when the rest of the country is trying to deal with a deadly pandemic and mass unemployment.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The X-man cometh posted:

These guys have to have the tiniest dicks to think of weapons when the rest of the country is trying to deal with a deadly pandemic and mass unemployment.

Its the Illinois state police of course they do. When all you are is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Went past the big chud diner in my town this evening and it was utterly packed inside, with cars blocking the main road waiting to get in. Guess they want to make the most of their freedom to get sick while they can.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, the chuds on my Facebook feed are already filling it up with “ummmm, where is the proof that bars and restaurants are what is causing spread....just asking questions.”

Edit: it would not surprise me if the majority of businesses in our region do not change their behavior one drat bit and there is no repercussions for that at all.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There's still going to be more than enough demand loss that they'll struggle to survive

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

brugroffil posted:

There's still going to be more than enough demand loss that they'll struggle to survive

Plus they and their employees will be guaranteed to get sick and make it harder to operate at all. So great job, restauranteurs! Way to think ahead.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I had my wedding photos there and my groomsmen bough lil baby pumpkins and one of them beamed she cousin in the face with one.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It feels like half of the people from my high school are posting pictures from Halloween parties on Facebook.

Get ready for cases in the Northwest Side and inner suburbs to skyrocket.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
My wife made a "socially distanced Halloween" Facebook group for our town so we drove around and hit the houses that had tables out front. The amount of kids wandering around in groups was pretty staggering though so we weren't out for long. Not a lot of mask wearing either. Oh yeah and the local school district had like 8 positive cases just this week but I'm sure that's fine. Can't wait for my kids to go back to school on Wednesday.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Upside" is it's spreading so rapidly everywhere, any local spike is gonna show up as noise.

poo poo is snowballing quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sawa group of kids together trick or treating about ten kids and their parents. No masks.
They were hitting up the townhomes/apartment I lived in. Satan superspreading eve