Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

well if the democrats were that concerned about it perhaps they should have nominated a candidate capable of creating that gap. Unfortunately, as Thanatosian already mentioned, a Biden/Harris ticket seems unlikely to provide that gap via in-person voting on election day. The second there is any actual threat to mailed or absentee ballots (and that is guaranteed; they've been setting the board to do EXACTLY that) the entire thing is up in the air no matter what the numbers say.

You asked a direct question and I gave you a direct answer, why are you yelling at me about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Space Gopher posted:

Remember when he was threatening to send the Army and National Guard into Seattle and Portland to blow away protesters, and then it turned into a few federal cop assholes mostly restricted to standing behind a fence at a courthouse and lighting off tear gas grenades? Still incredibly bad, but not anything like what he wanted to do.

Ell oh ell

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember seeing something a while back about artificial sweetener being in short supply. I did finally see caffeine-free diet coke at Winco last week.

Is that why I can't find any loving caffeine-free diet coke?? Even costco has been inconsistent with stocking regular diet coke.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Solkanar512 posted:

You asked a direct question and I gave you a direct answer, why are you yelling at me about this?

Mostly because I'm fearful of the rising tide of fascism in this country and depressed at the 'opposition party' being completely ineffective at doing anything to curb it beyond hectoring people to vote so hard that the results are inalienable. I'm 'yelling' at you about it because your answer writes off the efficacy and value of mail-in/absentee ballots during a national pandemic and somehow makes it a voter problem instead of a systemic one. You're acknowledging that there will be challenges to those votes and yet are comforted by the idea that the swift arm of the justice system will put a stop to any shenanigans despite being attached to the body that is dead-set on shenanigans. "If the race is close the process will fail but otherwise please trust the process" is a very strange valley to live in.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The dismal tide of fascist state violence is not made anodyne by remarking how much worse it could have been. I made a mistake by implying that there was a singular focused top-down direction in this imperial collapse, when I should have merely emphasized that there is the beating of wardrum preparations against the election results. Lincoln had all of a single month after his inauguration before the slaver's revolt- and as others have said, there is no specific number of local popular votes that is going to make the local state security forces arming-up period wasted energy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Mostly because I'm fearful of the rising tide of fascism in this country and depressed at the 'opposition party' being completely ineffective at doing anything to curb it beyond hectoring people to vote so hard that the results are inalienable. I'm 'yelling' at you about it because your answer writes off the efficacy and value of mail-in/absentee ballots during a national pandemic and somehow makes it a voter problem instead of a systemic one. You're acknowledging that there will be challenges to those votes and yet are comforted by the idea that the swift arm of the justice system will put a stop to any shenanigans despite being attached to the body that is dead-set on shenanigans. "If the race is close the process will fail but otherwise please trust the process" is a very strange valley to live in.

Your fear is understandable. I'm pretty sure Trump will steal the election. I don't trust the process and I don't think anyone is saying that. If it comes down to one or two states the republicans will fight it. If it's 8 or 10 they have to fight they'll probably just go "gently caress it". It's not the "process" as much as bailing. A couple states being ripped off they can stand. More than that they're risking a civil war and they are all rich and powerful even if they lose their elections and don't want it all to come crashing down. They aren't going to risk their status to go all out for Donald Trump in that situation.

I think as many republicans will be drinking champagne as democrats if Trump loses. They'd be in a better position.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

No, you’re just projecting at this point. You asked how that gap was defined, I told you. You didn’t ask for anything else.

Don’t put words in my mouth again.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Space Gopher posted:

The idea that Trump walks in and simply does what he wants without regard to any rules or norms is Trumpist propaganda. In fact, he's been stymied by boring rules and norms at least as often as he's been able to run roughshod over them. Most of what he's actually been able to do is exploit the grey areas and edge cases where the rules do give him power, not just do whatever he wants.

Remember when he was threatening to send the Army and National Guard into Seattle and Portland to blow away protesters, and then it turned into a few federal cop assholes mostly restricted to standing behind a fence at a courthouse and lighting off tear gas grenades? Still incredibly bad, but not anything like what he wanted to do.

Remember when he was going to unilaterally end DACA and deport all the Dreamers, until that was stopped by the courts? The Dreamers are still here and their presence is still legal. It's a precarious victory, but Trump didn't get what he wanted because of those mean old rules.

If there's a really close election in a decisive state, we're hosed. But, the power that Trump and SCOTUS have here only exists in those grey areas. If the election is decisive, there won't be a space where they can exert power.

Why do you think "don't count the mail-in ballots" isn't going to be a grey area? A bunch of people are suddenly going to start giving a poo poo about disenfranchisement, when they haven't for loving decades, now?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Is that why I can't find any loving caffeine-free diet coke?? Even costco has been inconsistent with stocking regular diet coke.

So glad I've switched to sparkling water. Try some "Hint of Hint of Lime." Or "Tastes Like the Smell of Lemon."

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Because it's the wfh class that's gonna get disenfranchised this time and trump is keeping them from brunch

E: it's still not gonna matter because they're a bunch of bootlickers but that's why they care

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

These are going to be fun to read in a few months.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Because it's the wfh class that's gonna get disenfranchised this time and trump is keeping them from brunch

E: it's still not gonna matter because they're a bunch of bootlickers but that's why they care

Heh, yeah, those folks with physical disabilities working from home. What a bunch of loving bootlickers!!!

Look, if you folks are going to post fanfic about how Trump is going to unilaterally steal the vote out of every state in the union, could you at least go to the minor effort of explaining how and under what circumstances? You know, the whole “effort being met with no effort” rule?

Someone above posted a great link talking about how every state counts votes, so maybe start with that rather than screaming at everyone you see who doesn’t think that the world is going to end in the next week or so.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I said it is very lovely that the fascist state security forces are arming up in expectation of needing to suppress the populous locally. I have little concern of the local vote being rigged versus a very big concern that power being amassed as it is will result in violent suppression no matter what the result is.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Like seriously, go gently caress yourself with this attitude. My brother is a public school teacher and he works from home. His wife runs a daycare and works from home. These aren’t intelligence analysts trying to subvert unionization, they’re loving essential workers trying to do their best and not die in the process.

Oh, and they have kids of their own, so they get to homeschool as well. What a bunch of loving bootlickers!!!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Solkanar512 posted:

Like seriously, go gently caress yourself with this attitude. My brother is a public school teacher and he works from home. His wife runs a daycare and works from home. These aren’t intelligence analysts trying to subvert unionization, they’re loving essential workers trying to do their best and not die in the process.

Oh, and they have kids of their own, so they get to homeschool as well. What a bunch of loving bootlickers!!!

None of what you wrote precludes your brother and his wife from being bootlickers

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I was specifically talking about myself and everyone I work with who gets paid a lot to do almost nothing and who wouldn't shut up about Harris's shoes and who only care about trump because our european colleagues won't stop making fun of them for having a lovely president, who think that biden will erase the roni and who support blm but hope all the people protesting go to jail, but if you saw yourself and your friends in 'wfh bootlickers' then maybe you should take a look at yourself lmao

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Solkanar512 posted:

Look, if you folks are going to post fanfic about how Trump is going to unilaterally steal the vote out of every state in the union, could you at least go to the minor effort of explaining how and under what circumstances? You know, the whole “effort being met with no effort” rule?

Pennsylvania just announced that it will segregate mail ballots received after polls close and SCOTUS said they count for now but also we could reconsider after the election and decide they need to be thrown out. So if Pennsylvania is a tipping point state for Biden it’s probably lost.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
JFC this is the PNW thread, we should be smoking some legal weed and talking about local issues instead of whatever this national election doom-posting thing is. There are already threads for that.

Also, sorry if I’m stepping on anyone’s toes here, but I mostly wanna get back to talking about Tim Eyman’s failed runs or how Loren Culp is going to eat poo poo next week.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

generic one posted:

JFC this is the PNW thread, we should be smoking some legal weed and talking about local issues instead of whatever this national election doom-posting thing is. There are already threads for that.

Also, sorry if I’m stepping on anyone’s toes here, but I mostly wanna get back to talking about Tim Eyman’s failed runs or how Loren Culp is going to eat poo poo next week.

let's talk about dory boats. they're great, right? how they ZOOM right up onto shore and people have to dive for cover

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

generic one posted:

buddy, i tried pivoting to the continual ineptitude of tevis teargas wheeler but the soup du jour is apparently thinking republicans are going to deviate course for the first time in the last 20 years

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

let's talk about dory boats. they're great, right? how they ZOOM right up onto shore and people have to dive for cover

Dori boats also apologize for anyone who may have been offended, and they’re praying for forgiveness. :jerkbag: edit: the jerkbag emote is for Dori, not you, fellow goon.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

buddy, i tried pivoting to the continual ineptitude of tevis teargas wheeler but the soup du jour is apparently thinking republicans are going to deviate course for the first time in the last 20 years

Wheeler loving sucks and I miss visiting Portland. How do things seem like they’re going for Iannarone?

generic one fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 29, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Tough to say. There seems to be a lot of grassroots support for Sarah, but that is probably just my bubble. I expect Ted to win, but I am hoping I'm wrong.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

Tough to say. There seems to be a lot of grassroots support for Sarah, but that is probably just my bubble. I expect Ted to win, but I am hoping I'm wrong.

Well if the middle aged white woman in Walmart in St Helens whose son is joining the Marine Corps is any indicator, Sarah is "Crazy" and will destroy Portland so I hope she does not win.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Do I vote out of spite or optimism?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Dude, you started this national derail! I don't blame you. We are all very on edge. But at this point we might as well go for it. We're 6 days away from the election that will be a thing for everyone and the PNW. We might as well embrace it.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Well if the middle aged white woman in Walmart in St Helens whose son is joining the Marine Corps is any indicator, Sarah is "Crazy" and will destroy Portland so I hope she does not win.

the guy in the fastener department at parkrose hardware told me that he 'has to vote for ted because that woman who is running against him is full-blown antifa' so who loving knows

fwiw this was said well before those mailers went out.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

the guy in the fastener department at parkrose hardware told me that he 'has to vote for ted because that woman who is running against him is full-blown antifa' so who loving knows

fwiw this was said well before those mailers went out.

the HORROR

from the way this woman was talking I fully assumed Sarah to actually be a 64 foot monster that would smash downtown with fire breath

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

generic one posted:

Dori boats also apologize for anyone who may have been offended, and they’re praying for forgiveness. :jerkbag: edit: the jerkbag emote is for Dori, not you, fellow goon.
I don't get how people buy this apology. He said what he meant, and he meant it. Like, he's a poo poo person.

generic one posted:

I mean, I think there's a very real chance Donald Trump just flat "legitimately" wins the election (not the popular vote, just the electoral college), but not even I think Culp has a chance in loving hell. What is there to say? Culp is the sacrificial lamb this year.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

generic one posted:

Ehh the aftermath of general is going to be a thing here. I’m expecting to see militia types again where I live, no matter how it goes.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Ehh the aftermath of general is going to be a thing here. I’m expecting to see militia types again where I live, no matter how it goes.

the only militia type I regularly see right now is a dude who has to use his grocery cart like a walker. I'm not terrified of him

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It's weird how many culp signs don't have a trump sign with them, but all the trump signs have a culp sign.

This is based on some recent time on the OP and rural klickitat/yakima/lewis counties mostly.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

I mean, I think there's a very real chance Donald Trump just flat "legitimately" wins the election (not the popular vote, just the electoral college), but not even I think Culp has a chance in loving hell. What is there to say? Culp is the sacrificial lamb this year.

I dunno. We make fun of Tim Eyman plenty, since he’s been a non-stop source of schadenfreude?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah, and I totally get that. It’s understandable. It seems like Portland’s seeing a lot more of that poo poo than Seattle, but once you get into the non-metro areas, it’s basically Mississippi in both states.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the only militia type I regularly see right now is a dude who has to use his grocery cart like a walker. I'm not terrified of him

I had about 40 or 50 out in the park drilling during the fires. Not the brightest bunch ( lol at pushup’s in 350 AQI) looked like younger internet types. Don’t think they were local, we’re just the first town out of the mountains in the highway. I’m expecting armed idiots.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

It's weird how many culp signs don't have a trump sign with them, but all the trump signs have a culp sign.

This is based on some recent time on the OP and rural klickitat/yakima/lewis counties mostly.

Republicans in WA seem to be trying to distance themselves from Donald as much as they can. poo poo, even the Spokesman-Review came out with the following endorsement for Donald.

quote:

Donald Trump is a bully and a bigot. He is symptomatic of a widening partisan divide in the country. We recommend voting for him anyway because the policies that Joe Biden and his progressive supporters would impose on the nation would be worse.

The list of Trump’s offenses is long. He panders to racists and prevents sensible immigration reform in a nation built on immigrant labor and intellect. He tweets conspiracy theories. He’s cavalier about COVID-19 and has led poorly through the pandemic. He seeks to dismantle the Affordable Care Act without proposing a replacement. He denies climate change.

Voters knew his character in 2016 and elected him anyway. Four years later, the nation is still standing. Indeed, in many ways it flourished until the pandemic upended everything.

The economy and markets roared under Trump’s championship of market-based solutions and individualism. Unemployment among communities of color reached record lows. He reset trade and diplomatic relationships in America’s favor. He provided historically high support for traditionally Black colleges. He rolled back extreme environmental regulations and led the way for U.S. energy independence. He backed federal sentencing reform to address inordinately high American incarceration rates. And he’s committed to supporting law and order in American cities.

Biden might win on personality and comity, but his policies would strike at the economic well-being of the country. He favors massive growth in government and a historic increase in federal spending through green initiatives, free health services, free education and other ideas grounded in reliance on the state as savior rather than creating an environment in which individual liberty and hard work can thrive. Public employee unions would hold outsized power and demand greater spending.

To afford it all, Biden and a Democrat-controlled Congress would have to impose unprecedented tax increases or accept catastrophic deficit spending.

Taxes and spending likely would increase under Trump, too, but the nation stands a better chance of moderation and reform with him in the White House than it does with Biden pushed left by progressives intent on reshaping America to fit their fantastical vision.

This is an election that pits a wretched human being whose policies and instincts for helping America thrive are generally correct against a doddering, doting uncle who would hand out gifts the nation can’t afford in order to win people’s love. Given that choice, economic policy and principle should prevail. Vote for Donald Trump.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Thanatosian posted:

Have there been any good postmortem writeups on the Republican side of the primary?

Culp just seems like the worst candidate they could have picked short of Eyman - he's not charismatic and it's not like the Republic voters that already know him are going to swing anything. The Republican establishment wanted Garcia, but he was picked at the last minute and Jebbed out. Josh Freed was the Human Suburb, which you'd think would have gotten more than 9% of the vote with Washington Republicans, but that didn't happen either. Either one of them seems like they'd have done a better job stumping for downballot Republicans and generally helping out the state party.

I get that Washington Republicans aren't much of a statewide force right now, but you'd think that they could find some higher-profile politician, maybe from a town in Eastern WA with at least one traffic light. Was it just that the Republican establishment didn't bother to back a candidate until it started looking like Eyman might end up being their guy?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The state party leadership doesn't pick the candidate, the primary voters do. Obviously leadership can put a hand on a scale, but they can't pick the nominee themselves. Republican voters in 2020 aren't interested in the east side business oriented Republican. There are and will be more and more Loren Culps throughout the country as the base of the Republican party continues to go of the deep end.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Space Gopher posted:

Have there been any good postmortem writeups on the Republican side of the primary?

Culp just seems like the worst candidate they could have picked short of Eyman - he's not charismatic and it's not like the Republic voters that already know him are going to swing anything. The Republican establishment wanted Garcia, but he was picked at the last minute and Jebbed out. Josh Freed was the Human Suburb, which you'd think would have gotten more than 9% of the vote with Washington Republicans, but that didn't happen either. Either one of them seems like they'd have done a better job stumping for downballot Republicans and generally helping out the state party.

Wait, he’s not actually charismatic? His fans won’t shut the gently caress up about him and are happy to ignore the fact that he put the word of a child molester above the needs of his victim.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Space Gopher posted:

I get that Washington Republicans aren't much of a statewide force right now, but you'd think that they could find some higher-profile politician, maybe from a town in Eastern WA with at least one traffic light. Was it just that the Republican establishment didn't bother to back a candidate until it started looking like Eyman might end up being their guy?

The WAGOP has been in open free-fall since Dino lost the Governor race. Assembling behind anyone would require visionary leadership for a party that hasn't won a statewide race since 1994.

Here is a good explainer from Seattle's only newspaper about how Culp came from nowhere to get the 2nd slot.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Gerund posted:

The WAGOP has been in open free-fall since Dino lost the Governor race. Assembling behind anyone would require visionary leadership for a party that hasn't won a statewide race since 1994.

Mmm. Dino. God drat, he managed to fail worse than Eyman on a few occasions. What’s he up to these days? Let’s check in on his Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/dinorossiwa/status/1260342657521352704?s=21

Alrighty then. Looks like he’s got his next move planned. Good luck getting rid of him, CA-25!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Gubernatorial Elections seems to be where WA republican careers go to die. How many of the sort of people who would be "better" candidates than Culp even want to take a shot at it?