Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

that just makes you look pathetic.

he was saying racist things and hangs out with racists but i dont think he's racist. well then you're racist m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Communist Thoughts posted:

that just makes you look pathetic.

he was saying racist things and hangs out with racists but i dont think he's racist. well then you're racist m8

The things he has said are borderline (although there are rather a lot of them), and a number of his fellow travellers are more overtly AS. So I kind of agree with Balls. I don’t think Corbyn is AS (or if he is, it’s barely), but he is/was blind to it on the left, which is why Labour got into the whole mess.
This is the kinder interpretation.

therattle has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Oct 28, 2020

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

therattle posted:

The things he has said are borderline (although there are rather a lot of them), and a number of his fellow travellers are more overtly AS. So I kind of agree with Balls. I don’t think Corbyn is AS (or if he is, it’s barely), but he is/was blind to it on the left, which is why Labour got into the whole mess.

lmao

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

therattle posted:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

There is no purity test that Corbyn could have passed or position to support that would silence the people that are attacking Corbyn for anti-Semitism.

Corbyn could renounce his past, denounce every person he ever spoke with, demand that Jonathan Pollard be made a life peer, and publicly support driving the Palestinians into the sea or deporting them to Jordan and this would still not be enough.

Engaging with his critics was just giving them power and legitimizing their critiques.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

therattle posted:

This is the kinder interpretation.

no this is a wrong read of the situation

like, sure, corbyn probably could've been more careful in some situations, but there's genuinely no indication that he's been lax on the issue. the revamping of labour's disciplinary process to try and police this stuff happened on his watch - after pressure, certainly, but it's more than could be said for just about every other senior politician in britain.

you got played and are *still* being played by a baseless smear campaign.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If Corbyn didn't want to be called an anti-semite then he should simply have become a Tory.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

V. Illych L. posted:

like, sure, corbyn probably could've been more careful in some situations, but there's genuinely no indication that he's been lax on the issue. the revamping of labour's disciplinary process to try and police this stuff happened on his watch - after pressure, certainly, but it's more than could be said for just about every other senior politician in britain.

esteemed poster "therattle" is well-known for his deep though-provoking posts

so, perhaps, the one who was played is you

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Someone bought me that avatar. I think it's funny. Glad you agree!

V. Illych L. posted:

I don't agree, I'm afraid. It took so long for the Labour leadership (especially Corbyn) to acknowledge that there was a problem. And as you say, it only happened after a LOT of pressure, for what felt like a long time. That reluctance speaks volumes. Can you imagine how that feels? When the leader of a party which you support is constantly being asked to condemn racism which you witness but refuses? The great majority of British Jews believe that Labour has a problem with anti-semitism (including many who broadly support Corbyn's agenda - as I do, actually). Have we all been played?

Alternatively, might there be something there which we, as Jews, can see but which others can't or won't? I don't know of any other minority group which, when claiming that it saw discrimination, would be told that it's not discrimination, it's invented for political purposes, or it's imagined. Do the thought experiment.

bedpan posted:

There is no purity test that Corbyn could have passed or position to support that would silence the people that are attacking Corbyn for anti-Semitism.

Corbyn could renounce his past, denounce every person he ever spoke with, demand that Jonathan Pollard be made a life peer, and publicly support driving the Palestinians into the sea or deporting them to Jordan and this would still not be enough.

Engaging with his critics was just giving them power and legitimizing their critiques.

And there is nothing Jews can say to persuade you that antisemitism was a real problem. But try reading these:

https://www.hopenothate.org.uk/2020/10/25/labour-ehrc-impact-on-jewish-people/

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/changed-my-mind-jewish-labour-activist-why-he-left-party/

90s Cringe Rock posted:

If Corbyn didn't want to be called an anti-semite then he should simply have become a Tory.

And then he could have become an Islamophobe too!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

This guy is repeating discredited smear campaigns as fact.

quote:

So, I mean, at points it was obvious. It was also said that he laid a wreath at the grave of the Munich terrorists who had abducted the entire Israeli Olympic team, murdered them and castrated them all. And so to lay a wreath at the grave of the group that did that is was perceived by the Jewish community in Britain to be not a terribly sympathetic act.

Also he has rejoined the labor party now that sensible Keir Starmer has utterly obliterated the systemic antisemitism in the labor party.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

therattle posted:

I don't know of any other minority group which, when claiming that it saw discrimination, would be told that it's not discrimination, it's invented for political purposes, or it's imagined. Do the thought experiment.

i've done the thought experiment, and it's every minority group

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bedpan posted:

This guy is repeating discredited smear campaigns as fact.

Also he has rejoined the labor party now that sensible Keir Starmer has utterly obliterated the systemic antisemitism in the labor party.

That quote is one element of why he left. There were others. And I know that JC was "present but did not participate". He didn't lay the wreath at the graves of people who murdered and castrated Israeli athletes - it was just the people he was with! I mean, it's better, sure, but it's nor really great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nobody is saying there is absolutely no antisemitism in labour but the old complaints team who hated Corbyn deliberately sat on cases about it to make him look bad and some of those cases were grotesque

Saying it took Corbyn too long to get a handle on it is because party rules due to the nec makeup made it impossible

Anyways if guilt by association is a thing now ed balld should tread very carefully

from may 2019 btw

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/leaked-emails-reveal-labours-compliance-unit-took-months-to

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1321084092906131457

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the snp :v:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Starving our next generation certainly is a plan

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

therattle posted:

Children don’t vote or pay taxes. Now, figure out a way to make money from feeding them and then we’ll talk.

repeal child labour laws

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dreylad posted:

repeal child labour laws

Exactly! I mean, talk about scroungers.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Also

https://twitter.com/populismupdates/status/1321516014404685824

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Well this is very good

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

therattle posted:

That quote is one element of why he left. There were others. And I know that JC was "present but did not participate". He didn't lay the wreath at the graves of people who murdered and castrated Israeli athletes - it was just the people he was with! I mean, it's better, sure, but it's nor really great.

Do shut up.

At least until you've read Labour's internal report on the issue.

You're repeating pure propaganda.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

Nobody is saying there is absolutely no antisemitism in labour but the old complaints team who hated Corbyn deliberately sat on cases about it to make him look bad and some of those cases were grotesque

Saying it took Corbyn too long to get a handle on it is because party rules due to the nec makeup made it impossible

Anyways if guilt by association is a thing now ed balld should tread very carefully

from may 2019 btw

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/leaked-emails-reveal-labours-compliance-unit-took-months-to

Posters have said there was no problem, eg V. Ilyich wrote

quote:

there was never a serious investigation that showed any systemic antisemitism in the party relative to society at large, there was never any actual indications that antisemitism was a real problem other than some heavily machined testimonies and inevitable individual incidents. it was all bullshit.

That's totally dismissive of AS within the party.

Have you got any pieces about the disciplinary panel sitting on cases? I'd be interested in reading about that.

It wasn't just that he took a long time to get a handle on it - he took a long time to simply acknowledge that there was a problem that needed addressing.

endlessmonotony posted:

Do shut up.

At least until you've read Labour's internal report on the issue.

You're repeating pure propaganda.

Would that be the report that Thomas Gardiner said was intentionally misleading? Propaganda goes both ways. That report isn't necessarily the gospel truth.

therattle has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Oct 28, 2020

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I read an advanced copy of the report. Bombshell revelation is that Jeremy Corbin regularly used a time machine to travel to the past and have sex with Hitler.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1321541913930072067

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bedpan posted:

I read an advanced copy of the report. Bombshell revelation is that Jeremy Corbin regularly used a time machine to travel to the past and have sex with Hitler.

Adolf Hitler: power bottom.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You can find a copy.of the report for yourself. Those saying it's propaganda is because they've almost certainly been saying some heinous poo poo that is recorded

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

therattle posted:

Exactly! I mean, talk about scroungers.

Surely Big Tech has already figured out how to do this

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

You can find a copy.of the report for yourself. Those saying it's propaganda is because they've almost certainly been saying some heinous poo poo that is recorded

Ok, I wasn’t sure that you were referring to the report. Ta.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

therattle posted:

Posters have said there was no problem, eg V. Ilyich wrote

That's totally dismissive of AS within the party.

Have you got any pieces about the disciplinary panel sitting on cases? I'd be interested in reading about that.

It wasn't just that he took a long time to get a handle on it - he took a long time to simply acknowledge that there was a problem that needed addressing.

Would that be the report that Thomas Gardiner said was intentionally misleading? Propaganda goes both ways. That report isn't necessarily the gospel truth.

i'm dismissing antisemitism as a problem of the party because there is literally nothing apart from individual incidents - inevitable in an organisation of several hundred thousand people - to indicate that it is or ever was a problem in the party

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

therattle posted:

Are you some kind of werecontrarian who starts spouting extremely stupid poo poo like this once the full moon approaches?

No poo poo you can't trust Labour unconditionally. But the same absolutely applies to the Tories. You can't take one side as lies and the other as gospel and expect to get rewarded unless you're a journalist.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

now, the disciplinary process being set up to weed out trots and nothing else was indeed a problem, but corbyn fixed that once he got his ally in as general secretary of the party

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm dismissing antisemitism as a problem of the party because there is literally nothing apart from individual incidents - inevitable in an organisation of several hundred thousand people - to indicate that it is or ever was a problem in the party

Please stop trying to help

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There absolutely are a bunch of racists in the Labour party. Problem being that Corbyn was actively prevented from doing anything at all about the problem.

And Mr Forensic is, uh, sure doing a lot about the problem.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

bedpan posted:

the last round of anti-Semitism discourse in this thread began after journalists who pushed the "Corbyn is an anti-Semite" story posted on twitter about which Nazis they thought were hot.

So to that crowd, Corbyn having sex with Hitler would be problematic, but not necessarily disqualifying. Just, another one of his questionable acquaintances.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the piece of writing i feel puts the issue most clearly is this, by david graeber:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/first-time-my-life-im-frightened-be-jewish/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

the piece of writing i feel puts the issue most clearly is this, by david graeber:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/first-time-my-life-im-frightened-be-jewish/

it's good

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

He really was a huge loss

At this point, it's supremely obvious that anyone still going on like "Well I don't think Corbyn is an anti-semite, but he should have been more careful with his associations, and there were problems in the party he was slow to deal with, and and" is either a total mark and a rube or a lying piece of poo poo, and either way should be totally disregarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

take him back please
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1321586166076825600?s=20