Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

John Lee posted:

Hey, thanks for this, I had low-key been trying to find it for years. And knowing the proper name let me find John C. Wright's stories in the same setting, which are at least as good as the original.

Wright is a far-right rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

xcheopis posted:

Wright is a far-right rear end in a top hat.
Plenty of far-right assholes have been great authors; more pertinent is that he's one of the Sad Puppies and thus necessarily dogshit at writing, along with being the man in this picture:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I like the stories, didn't say I agreed with his dress sense or political views.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

there was a vampire book i read years ago where I think it was set in a desert town and there was a vampire picking people off, kind of like a salem''s lot type situation, but the vampire was a chinese vampire and had a chinese name that translated to like 'the wind that drinks blood' or something. I think the vampire lived under a church, and he had a creepy lair with like corpses arranged in dioramas.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

there was a vampire book i read years ago where I think it was set in a desert town and there was a vampire picking people off, kind of like a salem''s lot type situation, but the vampire was a chinese vampire and had a chinese name that translated to like 'the wind that drinks blood' or something. I think the vampire lived under a church, and he had a creepy lair with like corpses arranged in dioramas.

Except for the Chinese, that kinda sounds like John Steakley’s Vampire$

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A long time ago, over five years, I posted this:

Sanford posted:

The sci-fi was a short story and a simple premise. When the guy went downstairs, he travelled back in time. Upstairs, forwards in time. I think there might have been some kind of inter-dimensional administrative agency trying to fix whatever problem was causing it.

It was The Impacted Man from the anthology Untouched by Human Hands by Robert Sheckley, published in 1955. I know you've all been worrying about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I can finally rest

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
How did you discover it? Pure determination?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just suddenly thought "oh, it's in that one" and went to the spot on my shelf that the book has sat in for the last ten years. I'd forgotten it was on the cover but I knew exactly where the book was.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well that story sounds awesome as hell. I love hosed up sci-fi, and I think I give credit to Stephen King's The Jaunt for that.

If y'all haven't read the Jaunt, and want to imagine something truly terrifying, check it out. I enjoy King's stuff, but nothing has actually, truly unnerved me like that story did. Goddrat.

Edit: Black Mirror's episode "White Christmas" gave off a lot of Jaunt-vibes, too, with that ending.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I will always remember “It's longer than you think, Dad!”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Less Fat Luke posted:

I will always remember “It's longer than you think, Dad!”

Absolutely. It's just maddening to think about.

For a one sentence, rundown for anyone who might be interested: guy invents teleportation via 'gates', but if a conscious mind travels through it, that consciousness gets trapped in a blank, white 'nothing' for millions of years alone with its thoughts, despite the body going through instantaneously.

Edit: vvvv fiiiiine. I contest that it's a good read regardless, tons of other stuff in there aside from that part.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 8, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Thank you for explaining the quoted line and spoiling the entire story.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I may have asked about this one in the past: This is an Astrid Lindgren-type kid's story but I haven't been able to find the one. Two brothers are separated. One of them lives among the poor, the other among the rich. At some point the poor are caught and put in eggs for the rich to eat, at which point the brothers are reunited and leave somehow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I may have asked about this one in the past: This is an Astrid Lindgren-type kid's story but I haven't been able to find the one. Two brothers are separated. One of them lives among the poor, the other among the rich. At some point the poor are caught and put in eggs for the rich to eat, at which point the brothers are reunited and leave somehow.

I've been reading the wrong Astrid Lindgren stories :stare:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Taking another shot at getting these identified.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I read a story about some horse-like creatures who, it is revealed over the course of the story, are actually humans who have been genetically modified to survive, like, climate change or something. Maybe they were on a planet other than earth. I think a main plot point was one of the horses getting ready to give birth to a human, like maybe the human genes were re-expressing themselves. It wasn't as stupid as it sounds. I'm pretty sure it is a recent story.

Does anyone know which story I'm talking about?

I think this is a reasonably recent story, but I can’t swear to it.

It’s a steampunky story about a rich homegrown genius type who commissions parts to build an airship. He has come into possession of a lady-creature who is listless and sickly. He has a theory about her, so he puts her into the airship and starts into the sky. As the ship gets higher and the air gets thinner, the lady begins to come alive. Eventually, she’s beaming images into his head, and it turns out she’s like a rebel queen in exile, and I think the story ends with the implication that she is going to use the main character to help regain her throne.

Which book has a character named Jackson* with one blue eye, and one green? I thought it was The Girl with the Silver Eyes, but I'm starting to doubt that.

* I'm pretty sure.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The horse one sounds like something Piers Anthony might write. You may be remembering the horse/unicorns from his Apprentice Adept series who can transform into humans. Or maybe Xanth, although I barely touched those so I can't say if those horses turned into humans or just talked like humans. Warning, Piers Anthony writing is not generally considered to be mind safe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm almost sure that the last one is in fact The Girl With The Silver Eyes. It's a short YA book, you can probably check it out from your library and breeze through it before dinner time to verify.

E: there's no wikipedia page for it but going through this page confirms Jackson + mismatched eyes https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheGirlWithTheSilverEyes

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

The horse one sounds like something Piers Anthony might write. You may be remembering the horse/unicorns from his Apprentice Adept series who can transform into humans. Or maybe Xanth, although I barely touched those so I can't say if those horses turned into humans or just talked like humans. Warning, Piers Anthony writing is not generally considered to be mind safe.

Or Anthony's short story "In the Barn" for Again, Dangerous Visions (warning: extremely :nms:). However, that one came out in 1971, so it doesn't fit the criterion of a recent story.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

That was the thread suggestion last time I posted it. I’m pretty sure the story is new, like in the past handful of years. It also wasn’t extra weird or Piers Anthony-ish.

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm almost sure that the last one is in fact The Girl With The Silver Eyes. It's a short YA book, you can probably check it out from your library and breeze through it before dinner time to verify.

E: there's no wikipedia page for it but going through this page confirms Jackson + mismatched eyes https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheGirlWithTheSilverEyes
Oh, cool. Thanks. It never would have occurred to me to check TV Tropes.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

I read this for summer reading when I was like 8 and remembered nothing about it but that the moms got not-thalidomide and the kids got powers instead of flippers.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I'm looking for an oldish (90s, probably earlier) short story about a teacher who goes to Mars to see how the students are taught differently than on earth. All the students are incredibly dilligent and hard working, brilliant calculators who can memorize every word of a book they read at 300 words a minute, because any bad students are publicly hung. The teacher goes back to earth and proposes educational reform based on public executions.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm looking for an oldish (90s, probably earlier) short story about a teacher who goes to Mars to see how the students are taught differently than on earth. All the students are incredibly dilligent and hard working, brilliant calculators who can memorize every word of a book they read at 300 words a minute, because any bad students are publicly hung. The teacher goes back to earth and proposes educational reform based on public executions.

Primary Education of the Camiroi by RA Lafferty

(Ed: http://www.sfsfss.com/stories/Lafferty,%20R.%20A.%20-%20%5BSS%5D%20The%20Primary%20Education%20of%20the%20Camiroi%20%5Bv1.0%5D.htm)

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 22, 2020

Clarence Day SR.
Mar 10, 2007

The book I'm looking for is about a woman who I'm 99% sure works in admin or similar for a police dept (book is set in England). I remember this crushing feeling of isolation from the way the author describes her life and life in general, and as I said she has this thing with corpses. I don't think it was anything weird, just sitting with them and being very interested in the decomposition. So yes weird still, I guess I meant not sexual. Toe curlingly graphic when it comes to the various stages our bodies go through after death. I think I remember reading that the author spent a lot of time researching and had forensic scientists read the book over before publishing.

I wouldn't say its genre is crime or thriller, as the overarching theme of the book seems to be loneliness, and most of the bodies aren't victims of a crime. I'm also pretty sure the authors first name was Emma, and I remember the book cover being a black and white picture with an orange stripe down the side with the title/name. I last read it as a teenager, and given the technology and language etc in the book it must have been written after the millennium, so I'm guessing a publishing date between 2000-2015?

If anyone knows what book this is I'd really appreciate it, I've spent far longer than I'd like to admit searching for it - it was a hugely impactful and important book to me (clearly, as I don't remember the title).

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes possibly.

It doesn't exactly match your description but it's fairly close.

Clarence Day SR.
Mar 10, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes possibly.

It doesn't exactly match your description but it's fairly close.

That's it! Years of looking and it only took a short while after asking in the right place.

Genuinely, thank you.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

First one is either https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_Me_Joe or https://archive.org/stream/Astounding_v34n03_1944-11_cape1736#page/n63/mode/1up

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Novel the first: post apocalyptic setting where some military dudes come out of a vault from being in some sort of suspended animation(?) and deploy white phosphorous. I believe it's part of a series. Released early aughts IIRC.

Novel the second: far future mech pilot story. The mechs are somehow bio-mechanical(?). Gave me some Ender's Game vibes maybe. Also a series of the early aughts IIRC.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Two YA books I read a long time ago that left an impression on me. Can’t find them and wanted to circle back on it out of curiosity. Probably dated circa 1970s, read both in a grade school library circa early to mid 1990s:

1. Fantasy story, teen boy goes to a narnia-like fantasy world and gets a sidekick in the form of an intelligent snake-creature that spits acid and can communicate with him psychically. There’s some conflict he intervenes with, and saves the day, many descriptions of food, and eventually he goes back home with the magic snake at the very very end. In the sci fi fantasy thread someone described a series similar to this but I couldn’t nail down if it was the same story as I couldn’t find a synopsis detailed enough.

2. Fantasy story, teen girl somehow has to fight a dragon or something. This one is interesting because she ends up killing it like halfway through, but gets grievously injured and the back half of the novel focuses on that. I remember very few details outside of that plot point, and tbh it probably aged very poorly but it left an impression with that specific angle.

Thanks in advance- I can’t remember if these two were any good, but they left an impression on me and I didn’t remember the names or authors and was curious if anyone else was familiar with them.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Rob Rockley posted:

2. Fantasy story, teen girl somehow has to fight a dragon or something. This one is interesting because she ends up killing it like halfway through, but gets grievously injured and the back half of the novel focuses on that. I remember very few details outside of that plot point, and tbh it probably aged very poorly but it left an impression with that specific angle.

Robin McKinley, The Hero and the Crown?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Rob Rockley posted:

Two YA books I read a long time ago that left an impression on me. Can’t find them and wanted to circle back on it out of curiosity. Probably dated circa 1970s, read both in a grade school library circa early to mid 1990s:

Thanks in advance- I can’t remember if these two were any good, but they left an impression on me and I didn’t remember the names or authors and was curious if anyone else was familiar with them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_and_the_Crown ?

If it's this, it aged really well and remains an amazing classic.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Rob Rockley posted:

1. Fantasy story, teen boy goes to a narnia-like fantasy world and gets a sidekick in the form of an intelligent snake-creature that spits acid and can communicate with him psychically. There’s some conflict he intervenes with, and saves the day, many descriptions of food, and eventually he goes back home with the magic snake at the very very end. In the sci fi fantasy thread someone described a series similar to this but I couldn’t nail down if it was the same story as I couldn’t find a synopsis detailed enough.

Alan Dean Foster's Commonwealth series (Pip & Flinx) features a boy bonded with a flying, telempathic acid-spitting snake, but it is straight sci-fi, not fantasy. Just tossing that out there to rule it out if nothing else.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

The Hero and the Crown is exactly right- I remember the protagonist being red-haired and the lake. Glad to hear it apparently is actually good, but since I must have read it when I was eight or nine, I didn’t remember much.

wheatpuppy posted:

Alan Dean Foster's Commonwealth series (Pip & Flinx) features a boy bonded with a flying, telempathic acid-spitting snake, but it is straight sci-fi, not fantasy. Just tossing that out there to rule it out if nothing else.

That definitely is close in description, but I distinctly remember a Narnia-like fantasy trip in it. How many weird YA books have psychic acid snakes in em? Don’t think this one could fly though. Distinct possibility I’m vastly misunderstanding the plot but it really had a whole Wardrobe situation going on, not aliens. I’m guessing, if anything, it was someone’s spinoff idea.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Is this familiar?

The answer on that page seems to be Escape From Exile by Robert Levy.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
A half remembered Xanth book? Nagas in that are snake like and featured heavily for a while.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I recently read a fantasy book and promptly forgot the title, the author, characters' names, any proper noun in it actually LMAO. I remember that it's in a country ruled by a foreigner king who got control of it while getting it rid of demons, who exist but some are not what they seem. The story is told in the past and the present. There are flying squads that use these giant birds which imprint on their riders or something.
The current king is trying to call back his father's old captain of the guard and is using his aunt, the captain of the bird riders' squad, to do it. Also the world has an equivalent of the Jews (a people who have a reputation for being scheming traders) who are being pogromed. There are other things going on but I don't want to spoil it in case someone else wants to read it.
Help?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
You’re sure they’re birds and not dragons? That’s a major theme in the Dragonriders of Pern series.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

You’re sure they’re birds and not dragons? That’s a major theme in the Dragonriders of Pern series.

The rest isn't though. Pern's led to thousands of books where various animals imprint on their human riders.

That said this is ringing vague bells but not enough to identify it.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

wizzardstaff posted:

Is this familiar?

The answer on that page seems to be Escape From Exile by Robert Levy.

Haven't looked up that book yet, but the linked description is almost certainly it. That one's been baking my noodle since quarantine started and I've been reading more. Kinda funny that it so closely resembles a much more popular series largely due to that one detail. Thanks!

e: looking it up I'm surprised everyone seems to remember it well, yet it appears to be an incredibly obscure book. Well, thanks to whatever person living in the middle of nowhere back then who had interesting taste in fantasy books and the kindness to donate to the grade school library.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

it's not pern, 100%