Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

DoubleDonut posted:

Hey is there a cool, easy, legal way to acquire the PC version of Trails from Zero at this point?

https://www.dlsite.com/soft/work/=/product_id/VJ009178.html

Grab the geofront patch, theres also a guide to how to get it all working.

https://geofront.esterior.net/downloads/

Theres a guide for Azure too but it's a bit more of a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Alright, I was hoping they would have paypal or something so I could avoid trying to convince my bank to cooperate but I'll see if I can get that to work

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
My first attempt at DLsite was rejected but after getting an e-mail alert and verifying the transaction it went through. Imagine it was the same for many folks.

Prologue thoughts: The most apparent observation is that this is the first Trails game that doesn't look graphically out-of-date by ten years

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 29, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Only CS looks recent. Sky/Duo looks like Growlanser games from the PS2 era

Also the major reason I haven't been interested in sky/duo, because sprites are ugly.

Maybe Falcom should re-do them in the CS engine like they said they were interested in.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I’m alright with the graphics but I’ll take a remake if it upgrades the combat to be more like Cold Steel’s, cause uh, not a lot going on in Sky FC’s combat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you say that, and you're not wrong, but when i first synthesized white gehenna i rode that giddy power trip for the next twenty hours

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
If they remade Sky and Crossbell with the current system I would be all over it, I just doubt there is enough incentive for them to do it over working on the next Trails Arc and Ys games, and all their next games are going to be based on their new engine anyways.

Theres a tiny chance of Crossbell being redone They recreated a lot of Crossbell's areas in Hajimari

I didn't really have a problem with Sky's combat, it's just a lot of old-school running around, bleublanc quests were especially annoying, at least Crossbell added some fast traveling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sky's bad combat and lack of faith in giving you more than a permanent 3+ man party was the worst parts that made me just read the LP instead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I honestly think I prefer the look and aesthetics of Sky/Crossbell, it's pretty much in line with the style of Falcom's early PC games and I think they do more when limited in that space than the constantly recycled and stiff animations in the pre-Hajimari 3D games. Like even things like the weapons hilariously just disappearing into and out of thin air look way less awkward when it's the older models.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I really like the Trials in the Sky and Crossbell art style a lot more. The little sprites lent itself to wackier moments and funnier situations.

The 3d stuff looks pretty ok though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Currently halfway through CS1 and Machias pulling a gun on the class 1 students during the practical midterm was unintentionally hilarious.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Azran posted:

Currently halfway through CS1 and Machias pulling a gun on the class 1 students during the practical midterm was unintentionally hilarious.

A sick tachi, an orbal bow, and uhh...a shotgun

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

In any other series, I'd like them equally, but with the sheer effort and love put into so many different 3D models, I prefer CS.

I'll never understand complaining about the graphics that give us Valfame Castle, The Divine Knights, and all the Airships.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My biggest issue with CS is that the cutscenes are so lacking in impact. I know they are Budget Company but it really detracts from what should be cool scenes when they can barely animate two characters interacting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

My biggest issue with CS is that the cutscenes are so lacking in impact. I know they are Budget Company but it really detracts from what should be cool scenes when they can barely animate two characters interacting.

no i love sara's one frame animation for gliding off a ledge with her arms outstretched

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ImpAtom posted:

Turbo mode legit makes movement look waaaaaaaay better.

That's not good

EDIT: In cutscenes, anyway

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 29, 2020

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Barring Berseria and Xenoblade 2, I can't really think of anything that has any noticeable increase in movement over CS3. Like, P5 certainly isnt doing much better there barring the extremely rare awakening scene or something. But this is animation, not graphics.

Also appendum to my last post, the sexy 2.5D chibi sword fights have not been topped and those were the best. I don't hold that against CS in the least though, that poo poo would be drat near impossible in 3D and nothing else has done it and the moment Laura did her on wires jump to finish off the Gargoyle at the start of CS1, I knew they were trying their best, and damned if I don't respect that when most other companies, just dont do it if it doesnt look great *Cut to black thwacking sounds*.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

MythosDragon posted:

Also appendum to my last post, the sexy 2.5D chibi sword fights have not been topped and those were the best.

Yeah, the fight cutscenes in Sky 2 absolutely rule. It’s a shame they mostly dropped them for Sky 3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They used a new engine-thingy in Cold Steel 5 where characters actually move independent of their 3 canned animations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tae posted:

They used a new engine-thingy in Cold Steel 5 where characters actually move independent of their 3 canned animations.

Both Hajimari and Ys 9 have this new fangled "mo cap" thing, too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They figured out you can move the camera during cutscenes in CS4 at least because they won't stop lol.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Azran posted:

Machias is trained in the 8 Shots 1 Gun school of gunsmanship and I'll thank you not to look down on him!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
On the subject of guns and firearms, I guess it’s something we’re not supposed to think too hard about, but how the gently caress does “gun” keep up with superhuman poo poo we start seeing at the end of Sky FC? Like, is it explained that they run off magic or something and I missed it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

On the subject of guns and firearms, I guess it’s something we’re not supposed to think too hard about, but how the gently caress does “gun” keep up with superhuman poo poo we start seeing at the end of Sky FC? Like, is it explained that they run off magic or something and I missed it?

Most guns are orbal and I think in at least the case of Towa and Musse's they can act as orbal staves too? There's a quest with one of the Branch Campus students in CS3 where he bemoans that gunpowder isn't used much anymore, also

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

MythosDragon posted:

Barring Berseria and Xenoblade 2, I can't really think of anything that has any noticeable increase in movement over CS3. Like, P5 certainly isnt doing much better there barring the extremely rare awakening scene or something. But this is animation, not graphics.

Did we play the same P5? Sure they don't have particularly fancy animations in the real world segments but there's lots of flipping, jumping, etc. in dungeons that's all animated very smoothly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

In mythos eyes, everyone in cs3 is naughty dog mocap

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Of all things, I wasn't expecting CS3 to have leg IK.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
re graphics, I thought crossbell and sky were better than cs. I still remember in the first or second cutscene in cs (orientation) you see a bunch of students who have the same exact model. pretty bad

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I wish I had the webm of the big fight scene at the end of CSIII on hand because holy lmao, I remember that being shockingly bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

you say that, and you're not wrong, but when i first synthesized white gehenna i rode that giddy power trip for the next twenty hours
with sky's speed im assuming that means you cast it twice?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Terper posted:

Machias is trained in the 8 Shots 1 Gun school of gunsmanship and I'll thank you not to look down on him!

8 Pawns 1 King

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There are parts of CS3 where cut scenes look like some animatronic Chuck E. Cheese band. Takes all the impact out of a scene. They should take their animators and make them walk away while waving an arm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

There are parts of CS3 where cut scenes look like some animatronic Chuck E. Cheese band. Takes all the impact out of a scene. They should take their animators and make them walk away while waving an arm.

the walking away waving an arm owns because it feels like they're aware of it. Ash starting to do it but then flipping Rean off instead. Lechter literally weaponizing it in his s-craft. It's hilarious.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Terper posted:

Eight Failures One Inspection

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I must say that CS4 has definitely added some nice flourishes to CS3's system - characters reacting to you using healing arts in the field for instance.

That said, hoo boy the initial Vantage Masters deck is a steaming heap of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

I must say that CS4 has definitely added some nice flourishes to CS3's system - characters reacting to you using healing arts in the field for instance.

That said, hoo boy the initial Vantage Masters deck is a steaming heap of poo poo.

Don't worry you get those precious long range attackers pretty quick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

lmao Cold Steel 1 and 2 ports announced for switch, but they can't do that for the west

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Thought we were talking specifically about cutscenes, so the ink blur jumps in palaces didnt contribute. P5 just has emotional animations for cutscenes normally, anything with actual movement suddenly looks vastly different like its not actually using the ingame engine, so I'm not counting that. Feel free to tell me the awakening scenes actually are ingame if they are however.

And yeah animations are definitely stiff, but thats because to my understanding you need to tweak every animation to every model to get it looking right, and thats not more effort, thats just more time. I think the only thing mocap does is skip this, but its probably expensive in some way which is why they only started now, right?

I said it last time, I really respect them knowing their animations arn't perfect, but using them anyway in ways other companies would just skip over, like the cutting to black with thwacking sounds when mooks need to be knocked out. If Trails actually cut out action segments with CS because animations were bad, that'd have actually been a major loss and harmed the series.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 29, 2020

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Pretty sure there are loads of "fade to black" scenes in these games. And if not that, then actions being described in dialog text instead of being shown on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Pretty sure there are loads of "fade to black" scenes in these games. And if not that, then actions being described in dialog text instead of being shown on screen.

Absolutely, Sara's bond in Ymir where she trains Rean for example. But I can't off the top of my head think of a main plot example, and can think of 8 examples with no thought otherwise.

Laura Vs Gargoyle
Sara VS Mcburn
Angelica Vs Marquis Rogner
Rean Vs Scarlet
Victor Vs Mcburn
Branch Campus Vs Jaegers
Reinforcments VS Jaegers
Rean VS all of the Pantagruel.