Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

What have Nvidia got to lose from opening up their DLSS API and tools to everyone? Couldn't it be used with injectors like ReShade (or at least potentially so)?

No, unless ReShade is a lot fancier than I am thinking. DLSS is not just a post-processing step; the game engine needs to implement viewport jitter like TAA, and then pass that to the DLSS unit along with motion vectors and depth information, and the texturing, mipmapping and actual post-processing all need to be configured properly (differently from a traditional upscaler or AA solution).

If the game already does TAA, then DLSS is not that hard to add, but it still requires hooks into the engine. If the game doesn't do TAA there's probably little chance of DLSS ever showing up for it.

repiv posted:

Nvidia doesn't support using DLSS just for anti-aliasing, their stance is that Quality mode (2x upscaling) is already good enough that there's no point throwing more samples at it

Based on their technical presentation (yeah yeah), they are correct. DLSS with 2x upscaling -- which is equivalent to 1440p -> 4k or 1080p -> 1440p -- is visually indistinguishable from the target resolution rendered natively, and it gets free extremely good antialiasing to boot.

compare 1080p 32x SSAA vs. DLSS scaled from 540p to 1080p (which is actually their 4x performance mode, not 2x) and see if you can tell the difference

from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5knHzv0IQE

if it seems like unbelievable magic it's worth noting that the technology is less than 6 months old. it is really cutting edge stuff

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pik_d posted:

Actually this is in stock as a combo deal right now

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4191579

You save :5bux:

ha, got it in cart again, and gone again.

Ok heres the deal, this is 100% not a scam: I will sell ANYONE in this thread who wants a 6800 XT GPU mine for ONLY $500 right now. THIS IS A LEGIT 6800 XT, and I have it IN HAND!

One caveat: it does have a female on blower.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

pik_d posted:

Actually this is in stock as a combo deal right now

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4191579

You save :5bux:

It looks like you're able to add that to cart but you cannot checkout :eng101:

not that it matters because i'm on The Other Side Of The World

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cygni posted:

ha, got it in cart again, and gone again.

Ok heres the deal, this is 100% not a scam: I will sell ANYONE in this thread who wants a 6800 XT GPU mine for ONLY $500 right now. THIS IS A LEGIT 6800 XT, and I have it IN HAND!

If you can get this to load (you can't) the TUF OC is available: https://store.asus.com/us/search?q=3080&s_c=1

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

BurritoJustice posted:

Has anyone seen a measurable performance difference when overclocked with the 2x8pin cards like the TUF versus 3x8pin like the Strix? I know you can easily hit the 375w theoretical draw really easily, but I don't know how much you get for the extra power limit.

I recall one of the techtubers saying the mondo-power cards were for the extreme overclockers who will disable any sort of power limit, in hardware if need be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This image could really use some DLSS tbh

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
NewEgg more like SCREWEGG they screwed me again. Stuck in cart and no matter how many times I clicked the page wouldn't proceed, just flickered.

Cygni posted:

OK ya got me with this one lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I can't see RAGE MODE and not just think of AMD drivers over the years.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

OK ya got me with this one lol

Hey, it supports 4k!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh by the way, I "got" my "RTX 3080" to "fit" in my "case" with "gravity" and "a clothespin":

This thing is pulling like 100 fuckin' watts more than my 2080 and crashing the PC. Guess I gotta try undervolting. I thought maybe it was the twinaxial riser I'm using, but setting it to PCIE 2.0 didn't help.

Edit: gently caress me, MSI Afterburner doesn't let me undervolt it? What else is there?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Any good write ups on the infinity cache hardware feature?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shrike82 posted:

Nope, AMD is being super tight lipped about it apparently. The AT arch piece talks a little about it here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16202/amd-reveals-the-radeon-rx-6000-series-rdna2-starts-at-the-highend-coming-november-18th/2

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

The only RAGE for me is ATI RAGE

When I was watching the announcement this morning that's immediately what I thought of. Has to be an intentional callback.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
A couple of websites got 3080 inventory in the past 4-5 hours out here in North America, when I actually happened to be at my desk even. No matter how quickly I responded to the Discord alerts the websites were already crashed or timing out.

Not that I expected to get one, but I just wanted to witness the "in stock" or "available" tags on my screen before moving on.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

Has anyone seen a measurable performance difference when overclocked with the 2x8pin cards like the TUF versus 3x8pin like the Strix? I know you can easily hit the 375w theoretical draw really easily, but I don't know how much you get for the extra power limit.

I have the 3080 FE on a water block maxed out at 370w. If I could increase it to 450w like a Strix, it should stabilize at above 2000Mhz core.

This thing draws so much power that if you run anything that's also memory intensive, the memory power draw will limit the amount of power going to the chip, reducing the effective core frequency. On my card, it can do 2100Mhz with memory-low games like Crusader Kings 3 or hover around 1900-1950 in heavy benchmarks like Port Royale.

Is that extra 5% core speed worth it for an extra $150 and 80w? meh.

edit: Testing it more, I think it's not memory but core utilization. 370w is just not enough power for all the cores to run calculations at 2000Mhz at 975mV (insert your silicon lottery voltage here)

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 29, 2020

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

MeruFM posted:

I have the 3080 FE on a water block maxed out at 370w. If I could increase it to 450w like a Strix, it should stabilize at above 2000Mhz core.

What water block?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
bykski, I recommend waiting for the EK one if you're okay with paying extra because this thing looks like it was repurposed from a completely different design.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
did they say anything about which models of the 3070 will be available in canada? im guessing the FE won't and i dont have a fuckin clue what the rest of them are

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

BurritoJustice posted:

I've been unable to find a good benchmark comparison between cards and am also interested in this. I've found a couple reviews that show a couple AIB cards together but none that show multiple overclocking results.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

The 3 pin let's you run the 450-500w bios but you also need it to be under water to make use of the power headroom as it will just drop clocks once the core goes over 50c

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Oh by the way, I "got" my "RTX 3080" to "fit" in my "case" with "gravity" and "a clothespin":

This thing is pulling like 100 fuckin' watts more than my 2080 and crashing the PC. Guess I gotta try undervolting. I thought maybe it was the twinaxial riser I'm using, but setting it to PCIE 2.0 didn't help.

Edit: gently caress me, MSI Afterburner doesn't let me undervolt it? What else is there?

Yeah it will, just press Ctrl-F on the main Afterburner interface.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

shrike82 posted:

It's just a large cache. It's associative. Behaves roughly like any other cache, etc.. The only impressive thing about it is the low floorspace footprint and power consumption, but that's probably more tsmc's doing than anyone else's.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Profanity posted:

Yeah it will, just press Ctrl-F on the main Afterburner interface.

Ehh, nope. I went into the preferences and hit "Unlock Voltage Control: third party" and CTRL-F brings up the voltage curve, but clicking the curve does nothing. The voltage slider is still grayed out too, even after a reboot.

EVGA Precision X1 didn't worth either. Hope they didn't lock voltage in the GPU BIOS but I wouldn't put it past Dell.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there even any information on what 3070s exist? theres no way we're getting the FE in canada so uh, are there any for us to get

edit: ah ok this is something

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=3070&fbclid=IwAR3hybKlsZppqgLHHA2gpCWymN7Jjnn5UIIrsNTHtQapjNr4JGsGQexi3q4&N=100007708&isdeptsrh=1

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 29, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Comically both the Gigabyte and Evga 3070s look better than their 3080/3090s. The Eagle is missing its weird hunchback, and the XC3 no longer has clown mouth.

e: VVVV those are canadian pesos, in USD: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=3070&N=100007709&Order=1

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
nvm, canada

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting about 2 alerts per minute for asus from my bot (I got one while writing this) and I clicked add to cart the first time and then my cart was empty. I just got another alert. It's tuf's and strixes, but a strix wouldn't fit in my box either :)

edit: still getting tons of alerts. If anyone manages to buy a tuf tonight and has one extra, let me know please!

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 29, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
random DLSS question, can you use it in windowed mode, or does it depend on the game implementation? on my 970, i didn't like that i couldn't force nvidia's supersampling without giving up borderless windowed

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cygni posted:

Comically both the Gigabyte and Evga 3070s look better than their 3080/3090s. The Eagle is missing its weird hunchback, and the XC3 no longer has clown mouth.

e: VVVV those are canadian pesos, in USD: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=3070&N=100007709&Order=1

Also comical, 2070 Supers are listing at higher prices than when I bought one in May, and are higher than 3070 prices. And appear to be only marginally more in stock.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MeruFM posted:

Is that extra 5% core speed worth it for an extra $150 and 80w? meh.

For me (3090) it's $2900 (for TUF) versus $3100-3300 (for FTW3 or Strix) in dollarydoos. When you add up the system cost alongside the watercooling a 5%+ gain in final GPU-limited performance would actually be pretty ok-ish. I'm also big on overclocking even for average gains, I got a binned 5.1 9900k when that was the hottness and 4000c17 32GB ram.

It'll be under water with two triple rads and a single, I don't expect core temps to break 45c

Sounds like it might be worth it, but probably a wash between the FTW3 and Strix for the $200.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I may have missed it, but what's the general consensus on the 3070 so far?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SourKraut posted:

I may have missed it, but what's the general consensus on the 3070 so far?

It's a 2080Ti at less than half the price. A great deal, and hopefully the smaller die size will make the supply crunch not nearly as bad.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

Nvidia doesn't support using DLSS just for anti-aliasing, their stance is that Quality mode (2x upscaling) is already good enough that there's no point throwing more samples at it
You can force it via DSR. Say if you have a 1440p display, enable a DSR x2.25, set the game to that with DLSS, and presto.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol looks like WD: Legion is heavily CPU bound with people on 9900K/3080s seeing 100% CPU utilization, 80% GPU utilization and frequent stuttering.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So what time should I set my alarm for tomorrow to get a 3070?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

redreader posted:

If it's anything like the other launches, 6am Pacific but you should probably be online by 5am in case things start going online early.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok I just won't get one then. Thanks. Too early for me.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

hold out for the 3080

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

redreader posted:

I would assume by 7AM most of them will be listed on eBay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Shipon posted:

I had a 4k monitor at 60hz i used for a while but it was always difficult to get a good experience at max settings even with a 1080Ti. I moved to a 1440p/165 hz GSync display and it was a complete world of difference and now seeing a 60hz monitor just isn't enough. Give me higher refresh 1440p over 4k any day.

21:9 is better than 4K imo. But if you don’t want that then 1440p is definitely all that is needed.