Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

It's a subtle clue about the surprise guest-writer, Geoff Johns.

Booooooooooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the specific outcome saturnyne desires is unclear, yeah. that's kind of her thing. however, she definitely wants the tournament to take place, what with how she arranged the whole thing. it doesn't happen at all unless both sides get all their swords together. but now saturnyne either forgot or pretended to forget about all that.

Seems clear from the opening issue that she's at least purporting to be helping the mutants, the Summers Family Mystery Team follows her tip to reignite S.W.O.R.D. Unclear why but it sure seems like a different scheme from the no-acronynm Sword prophecy.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the specific outcome saturnyne desires is unclear, yeah. that's kind of her thing. however, she definitely wants the tournament to take place, what with how she arranged the whole thing. it doesn't happen at all unless both sides get all their swords together. but now saturnyne either forgot or pretended to forget about all that.

If Brian were in her thrall and had gotten the Starlight Sword that would still have left the Sword of Might for Betsy and she could just have him go fight.

Skwirl posted:

Either Marvel doesn't know what "unarmed" means or they don't know the entire gimmick of the event they're promoting.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1316823692274544645?s=20

Magick's Sword is her own soul and Pogg Ur-Pogg is, themselves, one of the swords and thus their own sword. Neither of them is fighting with anything outside of themselves.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Either Marvel doesn't know what "unarmed" means or they don't know the entire gimmick of the event they're promoting.

If everyone has a sword, then no one has a sword.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It benefits Saturnyne for the mutants to win, since the other side wants to destroy or rule Otherworld. She may be able to handle them herself, but why bother when she can get someone to do her work for her, and most of those are people she doesn't really care about?

She's not evil, but she definitely only cares about a few things. But yeah, getting the Summers Family to find the Peak was also part of her plan, and that's probably something that the X-Men are gonna use to their advantage.

I also feel like SWORD is gonna be extra-dimensional and not just X-Men in Space.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Is Pogg Ur-Pogg the same swords as Apocalypse got?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Endless Mike posted:

Is Pogg Ur-Pogg the same swords as Apocalypse got?

Doesn't look like it, but it is a kopesh like Apocalypse's.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Still not entirely over how The Mutant Formerly Known as Apocalypse's sword weighs over a ton.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Gologle posted:

Still not entirely over how The Mutant Formerly Known as Apocalypse's sword weighs over a ton.

Apocalypse is definitely getting merc'd by his wife who is now Annihilation, poor bastard.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

danbanana posted:

The fact that this Otherworld bullshit is having to be explained at this level says something.

Please bring back the evolution-technology dichotomy and more Moira please thank you.

I've actually enjoyed most of the post-Creation XoS issues, as they've tended to focus primarily on Krakoa and actual mutants and only secondarily on the Otherworld/Arakko bullshit, but this week, yeesh. not looking forward to Stasis eitherabout

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

rantmo posted:

Doesn't look like it, but it is a kopesh like Apocalypse's.

Apoc has been shown a few times with two swords. Wonder where he gets the second one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's very weird to me that the multiverse is mostly restored after Secret Wars now but for some reason the Captain Britain Corps is still all dead. Maybe Franklin Richards secretly hates the British?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If I’m understanding right, Otherworld is the source of the Captain Britain Corps power, and is a singular place in the multiverse, so it doesn’t matter if there are five or five million universes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If Excalibur is anything to go by the multiverse is trying to reestablish the Capt. Britain Corp but Saturnyne is handicapping its efforts because she wants sole control over the selection.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What are the odds of something happening to Cerebro, and it creates a mutant Worldmind?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

What are the odds of something happening to Cerebro, and it creates a mutant Worldmind?

I think the goal is a mutant blackhole, so 100%

It'll help to have the knowledge of a bunch of millennia old mutants, and their children, to speed up this process

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Harold Fjord posted:

I think the goal is a mutant blackhole, so 100%
Ah, I thought it was headed towards having a way of infecting/mutating the black hole minds. Having a competitor pocket universe black hole would be interesting.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
One thing I don't understand about all this Worldmind/Phalanx/Blackhole stuff is how come we never hear about it happening to anyone else (besides new comics villains always coming from nowhere)? We see super-advanced space civilizations like the future blue people all the time, hell the X-Men regularly hang out with them. They never seem to have any problems with being devoured by black hole robots. It seems weird that they are the ultimate unavoidable bad end Moira is most afraid of when people of the future, be they mutants or humans or the Blue Man Group, could just decide to not actively seek to be eaten.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's probable it ties into the other Cosmic stuff from Hickman's prior runs. If anything it's expected with his reputation.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

galagazombie posted:

One thing I don't understand about all this Worldmind/Phalanx/Blackhole stuff is how come we never hear about it happening to anyone else (besides new comics villains always coming from nowhere)? We see super-advanced space civilizations like the future blue people all the time, hell the X-Men regularly hang out with them. They never seem to have any problems with being devoured by black hole robots. It seems weird that they are the ultimate unavoidable bad end Moira is most afraid of when people of the future, be they mutants or humans or the Blue Man Group, could just decide to not actively seek to be eaten.

The other advanced societies we've dealt with haven't deliberately fed a World Mind to them to attract their attention before. From what I understood, they're not generally on the lookout for organic consciousnesses, the Homo Novissima just decided they wanted to be a part of the process.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Plus a part of that equation is the Phalanx, an actual existing race of bad guys. By virtue of their existence that means that there are civilizations that have reached hive mind status and joined their collective.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Adder Moray posted:

The other advanced societies we've dealt with haven't deliberately fed a World Mind to them to attract their attention before. From what I understood, they're not generally on the lookout for organic consciousnesses, the Homo Novissima just decided they wanted to be a part of the process.

That's my point. It seems that Phalanx were only about to eat Earth because Earth deliberately sought them out in order to be eaten. It seems an advanced civilization saying nope to that is a fairly standard outcome (hence the existence of the entirety of cosmic Marvel) so it's not like this is some inevitable endpoint that requires multiple reincarnations to avoid. Like you don't even have to prevent the extinction of mutants by Sentinels to avoid it. There's lotsa Cyborgs and Robots tooling around space who don't want to be assimilated by the Giga-Borg.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It seems like a pretty deliberate hanging point, and considering that the run so far is not shy about going into Deep Space for Claremont-style shenanigans I suspect we might meet races like that.

Plus yeah, the Phalanx are existing X-enemies. Did Moira find out about the Phalanx specifically in Life 6? If so she might encourage Xavier/Erik to get one of the many teams out to eradicate them pre-emptively. I mean hey Vulcan's dance card seems pretty free and he wants to blow off some steam. Have X-Factor do some recon, get Vulcan to play ball with the Hellions, maybe add some X-Force or a bored Iceman to the mix, and you've got yourself a stew going.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

galagazombie posted:

That's my point. It seems that Phalanx were only about to eat Earth because Earth deliberately sought them out in order to be eaten. It seems an advanced civilization saying nope to that is a fairly standard outcome (hence the existence of the entirety of cosmic Marvel) so it's not like this is some inevitable endpoint that requires multiple reincarnations to avoid. Like you don't even have to prevent the extinction of mutants by Sentinels to avoid it. There's lotsa Cyborgs and Robots tooling around space who don't want to be assimilated by the Giga-Borg.

She's not trying to stop that as her primary goal. It's just another problem on the peripheral. She is trying to stop mutants from being wiped out by humans. This includes pushing back against Homi Novissima occurrences because that's what ultimately does them in, independent of their trying to join the Dominion at the center of the milkyway

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

galagazombie posted:

Moira's powers work like this: if she just goes with the flow, things play out as they naturally would. We don't know anything about Life 6 other than a while down the road. Maybe what Moira knows is that humankind naturally runs in that direction, unlike other societies might.

Also,

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus a part of that equation is the Phalanx, an actual existing race of bad guys. By virtue of their existence that means that there are civilizations that have reached hive mind status and joined their collective.

They clearly state the Phalanx absorbs societies it deems worthy or whatever. That the Homo Novissima purposely try to attract them for this purpose may be abnormal, and it's clear it's not the only way it happens. Maybe the Phalanx doesn't give a gently caress about the Shi'ar because they're not even a blip on the map?

Isn't there a comment in one of the HoXPoX things about how the Phalanx-as-X-Villains was a weird offshoot of the REAL Phalanx? I know Hickman flip-flopped the heirarchy between the Technarchy and Phalanx, but I thought he shooed away some other things, too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
To some degree I think that's just the bugaboo of Moira's ideology? Making things better for mutants isn't good enough; mutants have to survive literally forever, which means futures where the gap between human and mutant becomes irrelevant are unacceptable.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
We're halfway through this event and it hasn't even started

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Am I the only one who laughed out loud at the Pogg Ur'Pogg prophecy?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Hickman just made a bet he could make Pogg Ur'Pogg into a thing, which he totally did.

I liked how a few of the people on the other side aren't outright villains. They just got recruited to do their thing. And Doug's counterpart is almost exactly like him. Outside of the Wolverine issues, I've liked this story.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I will never not make or think the pog face whenever I see Pogg Ur Pogg on panel. Yes I am aware this makes me a manchild.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay someone remind me of the difference between Arakko and Okkara? I thought I had this but maybe I don't.

v :hmmyes:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 29, 2020

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Okkara is Arakko + Krakoa. Before they were split.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gologle posted:

I will never not make or think the pog face whenever I see Pogg Ur Pogg on panel. Yes I am aware this makes me a manchild.

:same: It is the curse we must bear together.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I liked everything about this issue except the implication that the sword fights might just be metaphorical. I was promised a dumb sword fight.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked how a few of the people on the other side aren't outright villains. They just got recruited to do their thing. And Doug's counterpart is almost exactly like him. Outside of the Wolverine issues, I've liked this story.
Bloodroot was really good but she came across as so similar to Doug that I'm now afraid they're gonna do that thing where she attempts to defect in pursuit of a better Okkara reunion, only to get mulched immediately to elevate the stakes.

Yeah the event is too glacial. We're literally halfway in and still doing foreshadowing/prophecy/introductions. Like, holy gently caress I get how cute these creators think it is to do tarot cards but come the gently caress on.

It feels that the Wolverine/X-Force two-parter could have been cut down to one, and Excalibur could have had the business with the Starlight sword sorted before the event began, and while I liked that Cable issue it did feel like too much of a detour. The Marauders/New Mutants stuff felt appropriate though, and while Hellions is definitely off in its own corner doing gently caress-knows-what to the main plot that's also where it should be. I also appreciated that X-Men issue really codifying the new version of Apocalypse as this mournful, Milton-esque figure. It really helps him stand out from the pack... but it was another thing that feels like it should have been one part of a prelude or early chapter, not a full story.

Even so... this is the first time I'm both engaged with and enjoying nearly everything in the X-Men line.... ever. So the stuff they're doing right they're doing right enough. The Arakko characters are varied and compelling, and there's more than enough meat on the bones to sustain lots of stories to come.

I just hope that they have enough room to breathe and do some actual action spectacle. Even the staunchest defenders of this era can agree that's the one thing lacking so far-- blockbuster spectacle. It's great and fitting that we're getting more nuanced looks at all these great big ideas, but sometimes you just need to see 3-6 pages of a well-choreographed fight in a widescreen format.

A tournament is formulaic, but it's a format that works if all that shonen in the last 40 years is anything to go by, so give us the drat tournament. Give us the drat widescreen fights. Backloading the fights to the second half means that now the creators have set themselves up to either burn out the audience with too much action at once, or worse (and honestly more probable)-- cut the action short in the interest of punting various balls down the field.

I'm still optimistic though.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I just hope that they have enough room to breathe and do some actual action spectacle. Even the staunchest defenders of this era can agree that's the one thing lacking so far-- blockbuster spectacle. It's great and fitting that we're getting more nuanced looks at all these great big ideas, but sometimes you just need to see 3-6 pages of a well-choreographed fight in a widescreen format.

I thought there was some cool spectacle in the HoxPox mini-series’, especially the attack on Orchis, but otherwise I think you’re right. We need a couple of memorable, extended action sequences with well integrated stakes and drama as a release of tension or the pacing will feel off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so summoner's story about arrako still holding on was complete bullshit, but has the actual state of affairs in arrako actually been explained anywhere yet?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Am I supposed to think there will be a Doug/Gorgon romance? Hope Warlock doesn't get jealous.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
When Apocolypse says 'most of you are mutants' who is he referring to as the odd duck? Illyana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When Apocolypse says 'most of you are mutants' who is he referring to as the odd duck? Illyana?

Brian Braddock isn't a mutant.