Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I felt like the different aliens you find in the original trilogy were a lot more realized. Each race seemed to have a backstory and evolutionary grid you could kind of glean and were interesting. Andromeda had just one and they didn't seem like any more thought was out into them but "kinda look like octopuses".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ME:Andromeda's crappy open world is a result of them wanting to do a bunch of random procedurally generated planets and then realising this was a bad idea and having to just stick some story missions in the biomes they had instead.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I really liked the planetary landings in ME1. Yes, the Mako controlled like poo poo, and I don't remember there being anything important to find, but they let you feel like you were exploring space while you played vs just having a bunch of levels. I was also stoned off my rear end for the entirety of my ME1 playthrough.

It's be years and years, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could just ignore all of the random exploration in ME1.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Another thing bugging me about GTAV is that it feels like a lot of its systems are hanging onto outdated ideas just because that's the way GTA has always done it. The checkpoints in particular, it's aggravating to get ten minutes into a mission, only to have to completely redo all that plus part of the mission before it if you have to close things down or, say, your power blips out when you were right at the end :emo:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Some Goon posted:

I really liked the planetary landings in ME1. Yes, the Mako controlled like poo poo, and I don't remember there being anything important to find, but they let you feel like you were exploring space while you played vs just having a bunch of levels. I was also stoned off my rear end for the entirety of my ME1 playthrough.

It's be years and years, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could just ignore all of the random exploration in ME1.

ME1 also let you play around on the moon like you were a real astronaut and I always thought that was very cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I felt like the different aliens you find in the original trilogy were a lot more realized. Each race seemed to have a backstory and evolutionary grid you could kind of glean and were interesting. Andromeda had just one and they didn't seem like any more thought was out into them but "kinda look like octopuses".

My interest in Mass Effect died off forever when, in the original game, they had this vague kind of mystery around the Asari with some NPCs talking about how maybe they don't actually look like hot blue ladies but just manipulate people into thinking that, or whatever else their ideal mate is, because of their psychic powers. It was a neat and kind of spooky idea but then in every other game after the first they just kind of doubled down hard on "no they're just hot blue ladies." I guess everyone just loves humanity and anything close to it, bipedal ape is just the perfect ideal.

LordSaturn posted:

whoa, this game loving ruled, did they re-release it someplace?

EDIT: oh, they put it on PS4? now if only someone would resurrect Steambot Chronicles...

I really wish someone would because the game still doesn't emulate perfectly and my PS2 is dying.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Nuebot posted:

My interest in Mass Effect died off forever when, in the original game, they had this vague kind of mystery around the Asari with some NPCs talking about how maybe they don't actually look like hot blue ladies but just manipulate people into thinking that, or whatever else their ideal mate is, because of their psychic powers. It was a neat and kind of spooky idea but then in every other game after the first they just kind of doubled down hard on "no they're just hot blue ladies." I guess everyone just loves humanity and anything close to it, bipedal ape is just the perfect ideal.

I always just assumed that was different races finding Asari's beautiful because they saw aspects of their own race in them. If they truly had that ability it wouldn't really matter anyway, because they'd still show up in photos and sculptures and whatever exactly how they looked physically.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Nuebot posted:

some NPCs talking about how maybe they don't actually look like hot blue ladies but just manipulate people into thinking that, or whatever else their ideal mate is, because of their psychic powers
that was in ME2

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Qwezz posted:

The adoration for Yennefer is part of the lore/game. If something's dragging down Witcher 3 it's...

... that they failed to account for Geralt's gloves when recording the applause sound?

The little thing dragging X-wing Star Wars: Squadrons down is the lackluster plot and boring characters.

... Oh wait, I guess that's not really a little thing... :saddowns:

I do like the gameplay, though.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Oct 27, 2020

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bushmaori posted:

I always just assumed that was different races finding Asari's beautiful because they saw aspects of their own race in them. If they truly had that ability it wouldn't really matter anyway, because they'd still show up in photos and sculptures and whatever exactly how they looked physically.

Yes, that was it. It was just a single group of friends from different races talking about what parts of the Asari they found attractive, and they each had different answers (headcrests, scales, etc), which made them start going all conspiracy theory about the Asari being designed to appeal to everybody in some way. It was a silly little fourth wall break about the sexy blue ladies that can reproduce with every other sentient race.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Schubalts posted:

Yes, that was it. It was just a single group of friends from different races talking about what parts of the Asari they found attractive, and they each had different answers (headcrests, scales, etc), which made them start going all conspiracy theory about the Asari being designed to appeal to everybody in some way. It was a silly little fourth wall break about the sexy blue ladies that can reproduce with every other sentient race.

I feel like it's not the only time in the series that they made a joke that would've made for a more interesting setting than the real thing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I feel like it's not the only time in the series that they made a joke that would've made for a more interesting setting than the real thing.

I am still waiting for the All Elcor Hamlet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Didn't it turn out the Asari were uplifted as part of the new Reaper cycle and were the first ones to discover the Citadel?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, they were the ones the protheans had picked to be the "chosen" species to fight the reapers in the next cycle and why they had a fully intact beacon and then they decided to just hoard that knowledge and use it to become one of the most dominant species instead of using the headstart to get the galaxy ready.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Der Kyhe posted:

I am still waiting for the All Elcor Hamlet.

And the reason Blasyo the Hanar Spectre took off was because we legitimately wanted to see a Hanar war hero.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The little thing dragging X-wing Star Wars: Squadrons down is the lackluster plot and boring characters.

... Oh wait, I guess that's not really a little thing... :saddowns:

I do like the gameplay, though.

Meh, it has as good a plot as the original X-Wing game really and certainly more engaging characters than THAT, at least from the bit I've done thus far now that I got a new HOTAS. Just wish my ability to fly and lead shots correctly had stayed the same as back then too :sigh:. TIE Fighter admittedly had more interesting mission design, they worked around the whole "flying for the bad guys" thing without really making the Imperials actually good guys. Didn't even fight the Rebels the majority of the game; think you just had maybe the first campaign hunting down Hoth escapees, the sort of interaction Harkov had with them (though I recall mostly shooting Harkov's people over Rebels working with him), protecting that one space station Thrawn was setting up, and the set up for the Battle of Endor, but don't remember any other major fighting against the Rebels in the game. Whereas you spent far more time hunting down Harkov then Zaarin, who were rogue Imperials and had you shooting "your own". Think not going straightforward good/evil (because it's obvious which you'd be) helped that game mission design-wise a bunch.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

MadDogMike posted:

Meh, it has as good a plot as the original X-Wing game really and certainly more engaging characters than THAT, at least from the bit I've done thus far now that I got a new HOTAS. Just wish my ability to fly and lead shots correctly had stayed the same as back then too :sigh:. TIE Fighter admittedly had more interesting mission design, they worked around the whole "flying for the bad guys" thing without really making the Imperials actually good guys. Didn't even fight the Rebels the majority of the game; think you just had maybe the first campaign hunting down Hoth escapees, the sort of interaction Harkov had with them (though I recall mostly shooting Harkov's people over Rebels working with him), protecting that one space station Thrawn was setting up, and the set up for the Battle of Endor, but don't remember any other major fighting against the Rebels in the game. Whereas you spent far more time hunting down Harkov then Zaarin, who were rogue Imperials and had you shooting "your own". Think not going straightforward good/evil (because it's obvious which you'd be) helped that game mission design-wise a bunch.

The first battle in TIE Fighter sees you patrolling for Rebels from Hoth. Campaigns 5 and 7 are spent on Harkov’s defection. The 12th campaign has you softening up the Rebel fleet and denying them intel to ensure they commit everything to Endor. Clicking around Wookiepedia, rest of the missions against Rebels have you in defense. There were a lot of local “pirates” not affiliated with rebels. A good amount of the later campaigns are about getting new fighters, and then losing them so they can’t be used at Endor

On fun thing was the Sepan Civil War, where the Empire intervenes to stop two warring planets, Dimok and Riplubus. They don’t show up anywhere else in the EU as far as I know. The Empire tries to not show favorites, which ends up pissing off both sides. The Empire crashes a diplomatic meeting that turns out to be a hostage exchange of the planets’ Leander’s’ children. The war is stopped when the Empire fights off an attack from their combined fleets.

Harkov never had any philosophical problems with the Empire. He was selling weapons to any who would buy them, including the Rebels and both sides of the Sepan Civil War, which you discover by doing secondary objectives. He was planning to join the Rebels for a pay raise, and ended up joining just to survive when he was found out. Zaarin was just an rear end in a top hat who thought he should be in charge. I don’t think the Emperor was established as a combat demigod yet, so looking back, it’s funny that they have a mission where he’s captured.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Oct 28, 2020

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Agreed that Tie Fighter had the better writing. Also, Admiral Thrawn, and a secret society of the "Emperor's boys".

I don't remember the plot of X-wing at all except that you got to fly the trench assault mission which IMO justified the game's existence 100%. It didn't take as much to impress me back then.

I've only played a few hours of Squadrons' campaign yet but it has so far failed to hook me into the drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVG_xlq-fk

(I love how they sanitized it from the main characters. The Battle of Yavin happened, but it was all YOU. Mon Mothma hands you the medal, not some princess what's-her-name-again. Presumably they didn't have permission to use those characters, or they just decided this was better for player immersion.)

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Oct 28, 2020

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Dr Christmas posted:

The first battle in TIE Fighter sees you patrolling for Rebels from Hoth. Campaigns 5 and 7 are spent on Harkov’s defection. The 12th campaign has you softening up the Rebel fleet and denying them intel to ensure they commit everything to Endor. Clicking around Wookiepedia, rest of the missions against Rebels have you in defense. There were a lot of local “pirates” not affiliated with rebels. A good amount of the later campaigns are about getting new fighters, and then losing them so they can’t be used at Endor.

Yep, though I think I'm just as glad the Missile Boat hasn't shown up in the new universe again, it wasn't as fun as dogfighting in the Defender anyway.

quote:

One fun thing was the Sepan Civil War, where the Empire intervenes to stop two warring planets, Dimok and Riplubus. They don’t show up anywhere else in the EU as far as I know. The Empire tries to not show favorites, which ends up pissing off both sides. The Empire crashes a diplomatic meeting that turns out to be a hostage exchange of the planets’ Leander’s’ children. The war is stopped when the Empire fights off an attack from their combined fleets.

Was kind of funny seeing the Empire trying to deliver on their big promise of "making the galaxy safer" and mostly flailing around in that one, yeah.

quote:

Harkov never had any philosophical problems with the Empire. He was selling weapons to any who would buy them, including the Rebels and both sides of the Sepan Civil War, which you discover by doing secondary objectives. He was planning to join the Rebels for a pay raise, and ended up joining just to survive when he was found out. Zaarin was just an rear end in a top hat who thought he should be in charge. I don’t think the Emperor was established as a combat demigod yet, so looking back, it’s funny that they have a mission where he’s captured.

Seem to recall the Legends EU tried to retcon this one character from the one fighting game (Masters of Teras Kasi, I think?) who was a force wielder as helping Zaarin capture the Emperor. Personally something along the lines of just "they sabotaged his shuttle" would have worked better for that mission.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Agreed that Tie Fighter had the better writing. Also, Admiral Thrawn, and a secret society of the "Emperor's boys".

I don't remember the plot of X-wing at all except that you got to fly the trench assault mission which IMO justified the game's existence 100%. It didn't take as much to impress me back then.

I've only played a few hours of Squadrons' campaign yet but it has so far failed to hook me into the drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVG_xlq-fk

You could cheese that last mission by turning down the detail on the Death Star (which was its own setting) which wound up removing all the various crap you had to fly around in the Trench Run for the game. Felt better anyway, didn't see Luke maneuvering around random crap in the movie, just dodging shots. Was hilarious just shooting down three TIEs before going in, so much for Vader chasing you.

quote:

(I love how they sanitized it from the main characters. The Battle of Yavin happened, but it was all YOU. Mon Mothma hands you the medal, not some princess what's-her-name-again. Presumably they didn't have permission to use those characters, or they just decided this was better for player immersion.)

The game guides had little stories with their own "PC" character, I like how the X-Wing one just had the mission reported on by Luke instead of the main character thus far (he was supposedly flying the one Y-Wing you see fly away from the Death Star with Luke and the rest right before it blows and was doing a diversion attack elsewhere) and I think they justified the ROTJ Death Star run in Alliance by claiming the guide's main character was one of the gunners on the Millennium Falcon for that mission. Really appreciate you can get the names of any of those PC characters when picking random names for your guy in the Squadrons campaign.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed Origins recently;

Way out in the deep desert, I find a big, not-human looking crevasse and *chk* my hoss down to explore. Finding a few small chambers, and then a big-rear end vault with a weird alien mechanism inside. Pressing play, I listen to the prerecorded history of the future bullshit and then step on the vault teleporter out.

Where the teleporter spits me out; Oh, a big mirror, off in the distance, reflecting the sun to another mirror and then ... ah I need to climb along, moving some mirrors and cleaning cobwebs off others - and it will lead me to another tomb or cache!

Nope, it leads you directly to the previous big vault, the designers made a crevasse with two ends to enter from but put this mirror signpost challenge at the end of one of them and I started from the other end.

I mean, the mirror light eventually shines onto the alien mechanism when you align all the mirrors, if they had made it until it wouldn't activate until sun/moonlight was shining on it that would have been fine. (I suspect this was the original design but they had some Valve-level playtesters in who complained about the mechanism being 'broken')

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The TIE Defender is the best of the attempts at making an in-universe ultimate star fighter, even though it’s a ridiculous Mary Sue of a ship. All the other weird TIEs that show up in the EU that try to be cool or scary can gently caress right off. I don’t think I can explain why, we just all know in our hearts that it’s true.

The Missile Boat was cool because it dethroned the TIE Defender without the latter’s “no weaknesses” thing. However, I disagree philosophically with making the ultimate fighter in Star Wars: TIE Fighter not be a type of TIE Fighter.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The TIE Defender was cool as poo poo

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Another thing bugging me about GTAV is that it feels like a lot of its systems are hanging onto outdated ideas just because that's the way GTA has always done it. The checkpoints in particular, it's aggravating to get ten minutes into a mission, only to have to completely redo all that plus part of the mission before it if you have to close things down or, say, your power blips out when you were right at the end :emo:

Yeah the tap to run really doesn't hold up at all.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Crap, this was literally the first post I made in this thread. I sure hope Deus Ex: Mankind Divided isn't so goddamned yellow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if they ever fixed it but one thing that really dated GTA V was how you could only listen to music while in a vehicle.

cogito ergo incommo
Apr 2, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know if they ever fixed it but one thing that really dated GTA V was how you could only listen to music while in a vehicle.

That was a bigger problem in Saints Row 4. When you got your super jumping and super running powers you never had a reason to use a vehicle ever again.

They fixed that in Gat out of Hell by just letting you play music all the time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

cogito ergo incommo posted:

That was a bigger problem in Saints Row 4. When you got your super jumping and super running powers you never had a reason to use a vehicle ever again.

They fixed that in Gat out of Hell by just letting you play music all the time.

SRIV actually did have the radio on foot, while Gat Out of Hell I believe didn't have radio at all.

I actually found the on foot radio to be a bit of a negative, though I don't know how you'd fix it. The playlist for Saints' Row is just fine for car rides broken up by on-foot stuff, especially with the radio changing stations every time you got in a new one. But in SRIV, you get REAL tired of This Is How We Do It since you (like every sane person) have The Mix as a default station.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I never even thought of the music problem in GTAV, this is the first one I've played where I turned the music way down because I'm constantly listening to podcasts/tv/etc while I play. That'd be annoying if I was playing the game more properly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Saints Row IV let you listen to music whenever you wanted and had a customizable playlist.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Being able to listen to in-game radios all the time makes it The ranger there among them had a big iron on his hip painfully obvious If this is a dream let me keep on dreaming where have you been how limited Blue moon you saw me standing alone the licensed soundtrack I have always been a fool for my Johnny really is.

Why yes, I have been playing a lot of New Vegas recently, why do you ask?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I wish there was mod for New Vegas that made all npcs, hostile or no, stop in their tracks and stare up into the night sky wistfully every time Johnny Guitar plays.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
There will never be a radio station better than V-Rock from Vice City.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

moosecow333 posted:

Well there probably won't be a game able to license all those songs at whatever price Rockstar got.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DoubleNegative posted:

Being able to listen to in-game radios all the time makes it The ranger there among them had a big iron on his hip painfully obvious If this is a dream let me keep on dreaming where have you been how limited Blue moon you saw me standing alone the licensed soundtrack I have always been a fool for my Johnny really is.

Why yes, I have been playing a lot of New Vegas recently, why do you ask?

They have things like the atom bomb

So I think I’ll stay where I ah-m

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
ATOM BOMB BABY, LOADED WITH POWER

RADIO ACTIVE AS A TV TOWER

NUCLEAR FISSION'S IN HER SOUL

LOVES WITH E-LEC-TRONIC CONTROOOOOOL

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I hated the radio in Fallout 4. I don't know how they did it but I hated almost every song they put in it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Counterpoint. V-rock in vice city stories

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

christmas boots posted:

They have things like the atom bomb

So I think I’ll stay where I ah-m

In retrospect, it's incredibly weird how Bethesda got away with putting a blatantly racist song about the Congo into a AAA video game in the 2000s.

Then I realized that if they did it today they could probably make that a selling point for a not insignificant part of their modern audience, and I got sad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think he's saying jungle not congo in that song, it could be racist about numerous places now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Cleretic posted:

In retrospect, it's incredibly weird how Bethesda got away with putting a blatantly racist song about the Congo into a AAA video game in the 2000s.

Then I realized that if they did it today they could probably make that a selling point for a not insignificant part of their modern audience, and I got sad.

Atom Bomb is mentioned once in the song which was research enough for Bethesda.