Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

boar guy posted:

what difference does that make?

it isn't about ten people being outside is safe or companies making people wear pins with beeping flashers to keep people six feet apart. it's about having the wrong mindset about rushing back to normal or semi normal at the height of a deadly pandemic. half and quarter measures make it take longer. i want it over with

There is no way things can be over with until there is mass vaccination. That's the only thing that can stop a highly contagious novel virus like this. Even if you somehow got 99.9% compliance worldwide of proper safety measures, eventually they would slip down and the few carriers would start the same process over again.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying to limit the spread the best we can to make sure our hospital don't get overrun. But man, holding onto all this anger at everyone else when even if everyone else was nearly perfect, we would be in the same spot in 6 months unless we get a good vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey this must be that red wave that everyone was talking about

https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/1321587157035896834

naem
May 29, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hey this must be that red wave that everyone was talking about

https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/1321587157035896834

this must be a relief for people from Seattle visiting Bangor maine

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone explain to me in a simplistic way, why uk media are reporting South Africa appear to have generated “heard immunity.” What exactly is going on?

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Wedding chat: If your friends make you feel bad about not coming to their wedding during the second wave of a pandemic they ain't your friends.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Duckula posted:

Wedding chat: If your friends make you feel bad about not coming to their wedding during the second wave of a pandemic they ain't your friends.

Cspam roni thread had a guy skip a chud family wedding and now 6 people are sick, including a preggo mom who had to deliver her roni baby by csec before going on the vent. :)

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Another 80k+ day in the usa

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

Another 80k+ day in the usa

yeah man but dont like, be mad at people flouting the safeguards. be cool man, just be cool

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Strep Vote posted:

Cspam roni thread had a guy skip a chud family wedding and now 6 people are sick, including a preggo mom who had to deliver her roni baby by csec before going on the vent. :)

:gonk: :nms:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

HERD IMMUNITY TRAIN AIN’T GOT NO BRAKES

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Don't worry, we'll hit six figures soon enough :thumbsup:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Soon every american will have a 401k

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

sweet thursday posted:

Soon every american will have a 401k

Is that a viral load measurement?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yep, this Monday and Tuesday just gone were the worst Monday and Tuesday the US has seen so far in terms of new infections.

Okay you can add Wednesday to that list as well, LOL. I didn't even have to check any of the previous Wednesdays because 81,581 is the highest day the US has ever had.

Zugzwang posted:

Don't worry, we'll hit six figures soon enough :thumbsup:

At this rate we could even hit that by this Friday or Saturday.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Okay you can add Wednesday to that list as well, LOL. I didn't even have to check any of the previous Wednesdays because 81,581 is the highest day the US has ever had.

At this rate we could even hit that by this Friday or Saturday.

This past Saturday there were 83,851 cases, per the CDC.

And this data from Johns Hopkins:

https://twitter.com/gelles/status/1321615845127323650

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 29, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
BC is starting to pop off, with the highest number of hospitalized since this began.

We’ve had it so mild here so far that I worry that people aren’t going to take this seriously until it’s too late. I’m lucky in that as of this week my commute is a fifteen minute walk, so I can avoid public transit.

re: weightchat, I’ve dropped two belt sizes so far. Respirator goes on before I go outside and doesn’t leave my face until I get home.

e:

:whitewater:

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 29, 2020

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
While I’m not in the US, I’m really starting to worry about December there, when all the infections from Thanksgiving\black Friday shopping frenzy start popping up all over. I hope I’m wrong on this...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Does anyone else get like seriously enraged at people who leave their noses poking out of their masks?

Because holy poo poo, I never expected 2020 to give me this much extra rage about something that I never even thought about in 2019.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has there been studies with the amount of spread/chance of catching it between mouth and nose? I’d like to think it’d at least be a fraction of it, albeit still something very real.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dwarf74 posted:

Does anyone else get like seriously enraged at people who leave their noses poking out of their masks?

Because holy poo poo, I never expected 2020 to give me this much extra rage about something that I never even thought about in 2019.

Worse is when someone is wearing a mask, and then moves it out of the way to cough or sneeze. :mad: Don't want to cough in your mask, that would make it damp and unpleasant.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has there been studies with the amount of spread/chance of catching it between mouth and nose? I’d like to think it’d at least be a fraction of it, albeit still something very real.

It might catch some of your own spit from coughing and talking, but it won't do anything for sneezes. If you are inhaling through your nose it's doing nothing at all to protect you.

My degree of rage depends on venue. If it is in a place where masks are not required and most people aren't using them at all, then half-assery is better than nothing. In a place where masks are required it's a huge rear end in a top hat move to not really wear a mask but look like you're wearing a mask so nobody will call you on it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The people who refuse to wear masks probably also frequently drive drunk, and never wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

Uncovered noses also piss me off. Are they too stupid to understand that the mask does nothing if they breathe through their nose? Or are they just stealth assholes?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

ponzicar posted:

Uncovered noses also piss me off. Are they too stupid to understand that the mask does nothing if they breathe through their nose? Or are they just stealth assholes?

Yes

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

ponzicar posted:

The people who refuse to wear masks probably also frequently drive drunk, and never wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

Fortunately a significant number of them are mouth breathers but it is still obnoxious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Insane Totoro posted:

This sounds pretty safe and other than social distancing and masks what I'd do is sit your GF down and both be on the same page about setting boundaries if you are pressured to do anything unsafe.

You're probably at more risk going to the grocery store parking lot.

The devil is in the details. On paper so far it all sounds rather reasonable. There's a lot of room to be safe in between "large indoor wedding at Red Robin's" and "only staying at home."

Frankly it's an act of bravery to commit to a relationship and life with another person with all the poo poo going on. They deserve your support (again, up until unsafe stuff like maskless photos or I don't know, a chicken tenders buffet at the reception without tongs).

I think a big sticking point is “be prepared to get the hell out of dodge if things aren’t right”.

Doing that will make family/friends hate you more than simply declining the invitation, so you have to weigh a guaranteed small hit versus an unknown chance of a bigger one.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/NancyLeeGrahn/status/1291407052393201664

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1321633000694685698

Didn't these guys used to do satire?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Bape Culture posted:

Can anyone explain to me in a simplistic way, why uk media are reporting South Africa appear to have generated “heard immunity.” What exactly is going on?

A lot of people I know live there and I talk to them regularly. Simply, travel from a lot of countries is highly restricted, and everyone wears a mask.

Also everyone in SA gets the tuberculosis vaccine as a kid and nobody's sure if that helps or not. But certainly for sure SA had never had really really bad coronavirus and it's got better over time. There's testing, people distance, there have been quite restrictive lockdowns. They even banned sales of alcohol and cigarettes for a while.

My friends there are able to hang out with each other now, since there are so few cases. Last I heard it was really really low, like 2500 cases out of 6 million in one province.

So no, not herd immunity. Just personal responsibility, restrictive lockdowns, travel bans

Edit: there are 1092 active cases in the country right now.

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 29, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

redreader posted:

Also everyone in SA gets the tuberculosis vaccine as a kid

That's what the :10bux: is for

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here we go for lockdown part 2: this time it's seasonal.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

boar guy posted:

i have two major hobbies in life (besides whiskey) which are reffing youth soccer games and playing competitive pinball. i haven't been able to do either since march and don't anticipate getting to do either again for at least another year. every wedding, every dinner out, every "socially distanced" birthday party or instance of trick or treating or round of golf or whatever isn't 'staying home except for work and groceries and the doctor' is prolonging it. so is every time i go to the drive through. pretending it doesn't matter is just being willfully ignorant

Cant you invent Outdoor Pinball? Mount some wheels on the machines and give it a flashy name like "Radical Pinball"

2020 is really an indoor hobby killer, sigh.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

AutismVaccine posted:

2020 is really an indoor hobby killer, sigh.

The 3D printers (plural) and big box of printer accessories and supplies that are piling up next to my desk suggest otherwise.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I picked up a new hobby, it's called "keeping my kids on their school webex". It's a lovely hobby, and will probably damage our relationship!

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The French government decided that we were not going to go into lockdown again after all, just say we are while changing almost nothing.
Basically, bars and restaurants are closed, but everything else including schools stays open. Go to work you lazy peasants. Well, ok, universities are “moving to online courses” (closing), since they don’t contribute to the bottom line anyway. Who cares about training future workers, right ?
We’re hoping that doing nothing of note will allow us to stop the epidemic dead in its tracks (lolno) and at least we’re thinking of the capitalists.
Hospitals are adding a bunch of beds but there are no doctors or nurses to take care of the patients. As the current medical personnel die or burn out, the burden falls on those that remain.
Macron disgusts me.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

but everything else including schools stays open

I think non food shops are supposed to close too ? e: ok not really

We're also not allowed to travel, and have to show an ausweiss when going outside for groceries or exercise, limited to 1 hour.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 29, 2020

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

Isn't herd immunity to this virus a myth?

Here in South Africa we are behind the curve by about two months. When things got dire in Europe, our first cases only started. When we peaked, Europe was recovering so well that everybody there thought it was over. Now after strict lockdowns and mask wearing, we are seeing lower numbers, while Europe is skyrocketing. Hmmm must be because we are special and have developed herd immunity! gently caress you world, nothing can touch us!!

Our second wave is coming and everybody is acting like it isn't.

rbk
Nov 2, 2005

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.
I posted about a family wedding a few weeks ago and my dread surrounding it but it looks like the couple was exposed to covid by their photographer while doing engagement photos. No clue what is going on yet because the couple are either waiting on tests or results still and their wedding was scheduled for the weekend. I’m glad I didn’t have to be the bad guy but it goes to show why we don’t do this poo poo during a pandemic. The photographer was exposed at a wedding they had worked.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At least the happy couple will have professional photos to remember their dead relatives by.

rbk
Nov 2, 2005

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.

Platystemon posted:

At least the happy couple will have professional photos to remember their dead relatives by.

I creeped and found the people who exposed the photographer, based on the date they claim she was exposed on by a covid couple. Their wedding website says that due to the state mask mandate, masks will be required. I checked the photographer’s Instagram and nobody has masks in any of the pictures. The groom is either a cop or a former cop.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahaha

Local curling league reopened and instantly got BLITZKRIEG'd by Covid.

Apparently a sport based around yelling in a big fridge, with a league structure that heavily punishes cancellations and non-attendance, is a perfect vector for disease spread. Who knew?

Apart from me, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Strep Vote posted:

i still can't get over how hosed up this is