Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Come for the restaurant industry goons, stay for the actual writing advice.

e: well what an awkward snipe. Uh...I've been put on call so no paycheques until December or January. At least EI is still coming through for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Completely unsurprising that the restaurant industry is full of failed writers (including me)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

Completely unsurprising that the restaurant industry is full of failed writers (including me)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Can’t fail if you never started trying!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
When things first locked down FOH people were all posting on insta how afraid they were for their health, when it reopened everything was about how good they're being at following the restrictions and rules laid down by the government. As the second wave started rising it was about how us customers need to make sure to wear masks to protect them, then, when the government said they would now actually be enforcing the restrictions restaurants and bars were supposed to follow they got super indignant about it and said it was impossible. Now that the restrictions have been broadened and it is actually mandatory to wear masks they're complaining and posting stats about how bars is not where people are infected. Like, I get that it is hard, but pick a lane! Are you for restrictions or not? Is it safe for me to go to your place of business or not? You can't be boasting about how often you wipe down the tables in one post and complain that the government will check in the next.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh cool, another round of blame minimum wage workers for being complicit in their own oppression.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

You're asking for consistent messaging from hospitality workers, when that's something that the CDC, WHO, and many governments (including the US) around the world can't even manage? :psyduck: I'm not sure how many well respected epidemiologists and virologists you think this industry employs, or how effective they are at broadcasting their message efficiently, but it clearly isn't enough.

Edit: VV Also this VV

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 29, 2020

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
how dare loving idiot servers want to make guests feel safe so that they come in and spend enough money for the staff to not be homeless but also not want to take risks that could lead to their death in a country that has done almost nothing to help them financially make it through a global pandemic

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Naelyan posted:

how dare loving idiot servers want to make guests feel safe so that they come in and spend enough money for the staff to not be homeless but also not want to take risks that could lead to their death in a country that has done almost nothing to help them financially make it through a global pandemic

Exactly this. The Senate just hosed off for the session without passing relief, so I can't exactly blame people working gratuity-fueled jobs for being frustrated with poo poo that directly affects their livlihood.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"hosed off after they did the scummiest loving Supreme Court nomination" LC friend. Gotta get all the details right because jesus gently caress that was blatant and brazen.

Patient counts keep fluctuating at work. A coworker I vaguely respected turns out to be a Trumper. She's alwas been loud and rude to me so I should probably just stop loving listening to her. Doesn't help that she seems to think I want her unearned opinion on every loving thing I do practically. Like look, lady, I've been cooking for nearly two decades now. I know how to do my job.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

thotsky posted:

When things first locked down FOH people were all posting on insta how afraid they were for their health, when it reopened everything was about how good they're being at following the restrictions and rules laid down by the government. As the second wave started rising it was about how us customers need to make sure to wear masks to protect them, then, when the government said they would now actually be enforcing the restrictions restaurants and bars were supposed to follow they got super indignant about it and said it was impossible. Now that the restrictions have been broadened and it is actually mandatory to wear masks they're complaining and posting stats about how bars is not where people are infected. Like, I get that it is hard, but pick a lane! Are you for restrictions or not? Is it safe for me to go to your place of business or not? You can't be boasting about how often you wipe down the tables in one post and complain that the government will check in the next.

Shame

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The situation is somewhat different in my country (FOH / influencers working in or running wine bars and fancy restaurants are not subsistence workers, are not dependent on tips and won't be facing evictions should their workplaces close down), but even then I am not sure that it is constructive or a good thing to absolve service industry people of all responsibility to the people they serve just because they rely on their patronage.

First of all, I don't think FOH people are incapable of staying informed about health restrictions, these days even us randos are expected to keep up, but for them health code is literally part of their job and has been since forever. I don't get to complain about staying on top of important factors in my line of work, and I don't even do anything that runs the risk of making people sick. If the implication is that FOH are too dumb that's pretty drat insulting, but if it's not and these people are simply protecting their bottom line at the expense of their patrons then don't complain that asking people to be responsible is unsolidaric.

I think most people here have been very receptive to messaging with appeals to decency, solidarity and understanding in trying times. People are aware of the risk FOH people face, are willing to go to lengths to help reduce those risks, and want to support the places they like. Shaming those who don't on social media is totally okay, but then turning around and complaining about having to protect your customers is a really bad look.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Get your food to go, and go home.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm not sure how many well respected epidemiologists and virologists you think this industry employs, or how effective they are at broadcasting their message efficiently, but it clearly isn't enough.

I guess that's me. Not an epi, but I help run data for them.

Fun fact: bars are actually the #1 problem for us, at least locally! A mind boggling number of our cases can be linked to young people going to bars.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Disargeria posted:

I guess that's me. Not an epi, but I help run data for them.

Fun fact: bars are actually the #1 problem for us, at least locally! A mind boggling number of our cases can be linked to young people going to bars.

One place had to close here (non-US) because some dude skipped the mandatory quarantine after he returned from Serbia and went to the club. Contact tracing found him, ordered him into quarantine and he just went back the next night and infected a bunch more people. The laws were written in such a way that it's easier to just close a place with frequent outbreaks rather than forcibly isolate a known danger to the community. Workers would have been covered by benefits at least.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

thotsky posted:

The situation is somewhat different in my country (FOH / influencers working in or running wine bars and fancy restaurants are not subsistence workers, are not dependent on tips and won't be facing evictions should their workplaces close down), but even then I am not sure that it is constructive or a good thing to absolve service industry people of all responsibility to the people they serve just because they rely on their patronage.

First of all, I don't think FOH people are incapable of staying informed about health restrictions, these days even us randos are expected to keep up, but for them health code is literally part of their job and has been since forever. I don't get to complain about staying on top of important factors in my line of work, and I don't even do anything that runs the risk of making people sick. If the implication is that FOH are too dumb that's pretty drat insulting, but if it's not and these people are simply protecting their bottom line at the expense of their patrons then don't complain that asking people to be responsible is unsolidaric.

I think most people here have been very receptive to messaging with appeals to decency, solidarity and understanding in trying times. People are aware of the risk FOH people face, are willing to go to lengths to help reduce those risks, and want to support the places they like. Shaming those who don't on social media is totally okay, but then turning around and complaining about having to protect your customers is a really bad look.

Seriously dude, you were posting back in May about your favorite place’s cleaning techniques. A few months later you asked about how FOH sees regulars. Stay the gently caress home and don’t eat out.

Don’t try to twist this on us saying FOH people are dumb and try to get offended on that behalf. Don’t say you don’t get to complain about staying on top of work stuff when you “don't even do anything that runs the risk of making people sick.” Don’t come in here all sanctimonious when you can’t even put yourself in their shoes.

I got out. Everything I’ve been working towards for the past 8 or 9 years, just poof. I no longer saw a future in my previous chosen career because I couldn’t be hospitable to guests coming in to eat and drink during a loving pandemic. People like you who have no empathy and think “that it is [not] constructive or a good thing to absolve service industry people of all responsibility to the people they serve just because they rely on their patronage.” How about your duty to your fellow man on whom you rely for service?

Get your food to go, stay the gently caress home.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thotsky posted:

Just gently caress off.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The Maestro posted:

How about your duty to your fellow man on whom you rely for service?

Get your food to go, stay the gently caress home.

The bars I am talking about do not provide anything "to-go", and are actively asking people to come by, but yeah, I have been staying home recently. It would be nice if to-go was pushed like it was during lock down, but restauranters here (and some of their staff) are busy complaining that they're being unfairly targeted with restrictions, when just weeks ago they were all about shaming people for not volunteering to wear masks on public transportation.

Just don't act cute on social media about how safe you're being while in other posts implying corona is all bullshit, do one or the other.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

thotsky posted:

The bars I am talking about do not provide anything "to-go", and are actively asking people to come by, but yeah, I have been staying home recently. It would be nice if to-go was pushed like it was during lock down, but restauranters here (and some of their staff) are busy complaining that they're being unfairly targeted with restrictions, when just weeks ago they were all about shaming people for not volunteering to wear masks on public transportation.

Just don't act cute on social media about how safe you're being while in other posts implying corona is all bullshit, do one or the other.

Give us your actual location

The bar around me that has a right wing owner has had dozens of staff fall ill and bullies any employees, including FOH, with litigation when anything about their work is publicly stated.

Those fuckers don't know healthcode I guess.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Give us your actual location

The bar around me that has a right wing owner has had dozens of staff fall ill and bullies any employees, including FOH, with litigation when anything about their work is publicly stated.

Those fuckers don't know healthcode I guess.

Norway. Labour rights and unions here are strong enough that I would be surprised if that was a factor, but I am not in the industry, and I guess some of this could be explained by management / owners fighting with staff about messaging behind the scenes...

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
A bartender tested positive for covid on Tuesday. Management hid the infection--from the public and from staff. By Friday the infection spread to eight, mostly servers, one cook. On Saturday they suspended dinner service til the following Thursday. Breakfast and events continued. Couple days after that they shutdown all restaurant service til 11/6, but events must go on. I'm working a 50 person Halloween wedding tonight. Good luck, everyone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anytime a couple gets married on a holiday i kinda want them to get a divorce so the day is ruined for them forever.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

Anytime a couple gets married on a holiday i kinda want them to get a divorce so the day is ruined for them forever.

Funny enough, I was just thinking about this at work today --- twice.

Our ace grill guy is off this whole weekend because today is his first wedding anniversary. It's the wife's favorite holiday. He's a great guy, and I wish him all the best, but in the back of my head I was thinking "If this doesn't pan out, how much is that gonna suck for her!"

Then the Boss Lady asked the new KM if she'd be willing to work a catering gig New Year's Eve, 7pm to 5am. I did a double take, because you can't serve alcohol in this state after 2am. But turns out it's for a wedding, so I guess if they BYOB, it's just a party, no legal poo poo required. Anyways, I had the same thought about weddings on holidays.

My own sister went and got married to her first husband on my 20th birthday. Totally put Yay for Me Day on the back burner, just like the movie Sixteen Candles. And you'll note that I said "first husband", sooooo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Funny enough, I was just thinking about this at work today --- twice.

Our ace grill guy is off this whole weekend because today is his first wedding anniversary. It's the wife's favorite holiday. He's a great guy, and I wish him all the best, but in the back of my head I was thinking "If this doesn't pan out, how much is that gonna suck for her!"

Then the Boss Lady asked the new KM if she'd be willing to work a catering gig New Year's Eve, 7pm to 5am. I did a double take, because you can't serve alcohol in this state after 2am. But turns out it's for a wedding, so I guess if they BYOB, it's just a party, no legal poo poo required. Anyways, I had the same thought about weddings on holidays.

My own sister went and got married to her first husband on my 20th birthday. Totally put Yay for Me Day on the back burner, just like the movie Sixteen Candles. And you'll note that I said "first husband", sooooo

I had a teacher who got married on Valentine's day, I really hope that one lasted, because imagine trying to navigate that minefield when dating after divorce.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I had a teacher who got married on Valentine's day, I really hope that one lasted, because imagine trying to navigate that minefield when dating after divorce.

Yeesh, right?

Funny story from today:

We had a big delivery order, nbd, it was for a party of 20 or so, so we got advance notice and were ready. But they had to be bagged and tagged individually with the names of who ordered what. So instead of the ticket looking like:

8 CHX BISCUIT
5 SAUSAGE BISCUIT
12 HASHBROWN

...etc, it comes out like:

1 CHX BISCUIT
1 HASHBROWN
1 SM COFFEE
*JAMES

1 EGG AND CHEESE
1 GRITS
1 ORANGE JUICE
*SALLY

...for like 20 people. The ticket printer is chattering away, and we all start chuckling at just how long the loving thing is, it was no joke about three feet long. "Nice CVS receipt you got there," I said.

Well something went wonky with the POS, and it prints out another copy. And another. FOH manager is bewildered; "I even cancelled the drat order to make it stop, why won't it stop?!" (She finally just did the ol' "turn it off and back on", which worked after copy #4.)

Our expo guy is new (to us; he's worked BOH before and is fan-loving-tastic), and is equal parts bemused and "WTF" because the drat printer will not shut up and we know we're missing actual live tickets in the queue. Flings his hands up in frustration and yells:

"It's like a bukkake video, it just keeps coming!"

Then he blushes hard and throws a "poo poo, what did I just say?" look at me, because at 46 I'm the oldest person in the kitchen, and a woman to boot. Dawww, he's new and thought he could offend these veteran ears of mine. :allears:

The look of horror at blurting that out, followed by the look of relief when he saw me absolutely doubled over laughing, was priceless. And I'm still fuckin' giggling at that line, I gotta remember that one.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Maestro posted:

I got out. Everything I’ve been working towards for the past 8 or 9 years, just poof. I no longer saw a future in my previous chosen career because I couldn’t be hospitable to guests coming in to eat and drink during a loving pandemic.

What what? Text me dude, haven't talked to you in ages, what's up?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You know those shifts where your entire shift just turns into a massive black hole of memory loss for that shift? That was the last two days

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

iospace posted:

You know those shifts where your entire shift just turns into a massive black hole of memory loss for that shift? That was the last two days

Hey, that was my yesterday too!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mithross posted:

Hey, that was my yesterday too!

That was my last three days, apparently, as I was bitching about how I left my car window cracked open yesterday after taking my 5 minute smoke break in it while it was pouring, so I had to drive home on a soggy car seat.

"It didn't rain yesterday, JD."

"No, right, must've been Friday."

"Uh, it didn't rain Friday, either. Hasn't rained since Thursday."

I feel like that famous post in the joose thread, with "(Mod edit note: it was not Wednesday anywhere)" or whatever it was

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I proposed to my current wife on Valentine's day :3: bit cliche I know

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Couple of gear questions.

Any recommendations for jeans that are durable, but not super loving hot? My expensive fashion jeans are great, cool, super comfortable but gently caress wearing expensive clothes in a kitchen. My Levi's are tough as poo poo, but sweltering.

Also, my masks made by my wife are starting to wear out and it's time for some new ones. We no longer have nearly enough free time to devote to sewing projects, so need to buy some instead. The ones that Cayson sells seem good, and was going to pick up an apron from them anyway, but would love to hear from anyone else that likes theirs. Only requirement is string-tie backs, not the elastic around the ears.

If anyone LOVES a particular apron, let me know. Time for a new one and the only direction I've got so far is "Probably gonna buy a Cayson".

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Doom Rooster posted:

Any recommendations for jeans that are durable, but not super loving hot? My expensive fashion jeans are great, cool, super comfortable but gently caress wearing expensive clothes in a kitchen. My Levi's are tough as poo poo, but sweltering.

I heartily recommend not wearing jeans in a kitchen, get chef pants. They are essentially breathable pajama pants that look like slacks, considerably cooler and more comfortable. Happy Chef (they have their own website and also recently started selling on amazon) has "classic baggy" pants that are the only pants I will wear in a kitchen, they last decently, don't cost too much, and are comfortable as gently caress. Any cheaper jeans are likely to be hot, uncomfortable, or both.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mithross posted:

I heartily recommend not wearing jeans in a kitchen, get chef pants. They are essentially breathable pajama pants that look like slacks, considerably cooler and more comfortable. Happy Chef (they have their own website and also recently started selling on amazon) has "classic baggy" pants that are the only pants I will wear in a kitchen, they last decently, don't cost too much, and are comfortable as gently caress. Any cheaper jeans are likely to be hot, uncomfortable, or both.

This is all good advice.

I switched from Chefwear to Dickies because they pass for civilian pants before/after work. They're not quite as cool and comfy as chef pants but the trade off is worth it to me. They're under $30, have some stretch, don't stain easily, haven't shown any signs of wear in a number of years, and match my Sk8-Hi's for when I want to steal 90's valor.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

This is all good advice.

I switched from Chefwear to Dickies because they pass for civilian pants before/after work. They're not quite as cool and comfy as chef pants but the trade off is worth it to me. They're under $30, have some stretch, don't stain easily, haven't shown any signs of wear in a number of years, and match my Sk8-Hi's for when I want to steal 90's valor.

Also Dickies crew. I hate checks personally, but Dickies are infinitely easier to clean and always look presentable.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 4, 2020

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea I have chef pants from school, but they dont wrangle my nether regions like a nice pair of dickies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea I have chef pants from school, but they dont wrangle my nether regions like a nice pair of dickies.

Switch to briefs or boxer briefs.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dickies 4 lyfe

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Switch to briefs or boxer briefs.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Mithross posted:

I've actually heard great things about happy chef pants. Are those the ones with the vented knees, or are those a seperate line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

I've actually heard great things about happy chef pants. Are those the ones with the vented knees, or are those a seperate line?

Separate line, although I’ve had coworkers get the vented stuff from them and love it. Their pants are the most comfortable I’ve tried, and they look enough like slacks (they’re solid black, and a light poly material, not like the checkered pants most schools give out) that I have never worried about not blending in. They’re looser fitting than jeans, more like cargo pants in fit, but honestly I wouldn’t want to wear anything tighter in the kitchen, especially as I am a bigger (tall and wide) guy.

Their chef coats are pretty great as well, although like most lines after XL they mostly just get fatter and not taller, which has caused some problems for 6’2” me.