Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The three breaches of law sound about right

We do know that the complaints process, like the rest of the organisation, wasn't working.

The labour party is just the government in microcosm, a poorly thought out network whose primary function is keeping everybody where they are and being paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Why are they trying to shut down legitimate debate on whether his mum is, or is not, a slag?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

hasn’t the right wing in labour just irreparably damaged the party for a generation with the antisemitism stuff though? like driving a car into a tree and now complaining that the previous owner was a bad driver?

Depends what you mean by "damaged". Are a lot of people always going to have the vague idea that Labour leans towards antisemitism? Yes. Is it going to affect how many people vote? No.

All they've succeeded in doing is dragging Labour down into the same "probably racist" mire that most people view the Tory party as inhabiting. Which is bad for Labour on one front, but at the same time as a big organisation run primarily by cunts Labour is institutionally racist/sexist/ableist etc. So if the impression people are left with is that all political parties are actually racist as poo poo then they aren't exactly wrong.

Communist Thoughts posted:

The three breaches of law sound about right

We do know that the complaints process, like the rest of the organisation, wasn't working.

The labour party is just the government in microcosm, a poorly thought out network whose primary function is keeping everybody where they are and being paid.

Exactly. As much as this report will be spun as the fault of one faction, it's a report on Labour as a whole, and the stuff they call out is actually legitimately bad.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

ZoninSilver posted:

How did any of these dinguses survive kindergarten?

quote:

Stafford grew up in Ealing Broadway, was privately educated at St Benedict's School, Ealing,

Tuition is currently £16,100 a year, he probably never acquired resistance to low-effort working class insults like 'ur gran is fat'.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ZoninSilver posted:

How did any of these dinguses survive kindergarten?

They didn't go to nursery school and their nannies weren't paid to say things like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Outside of threats of violence, hate speech and genuine harassment I really don't think any MP has a leg to stand on when it comes to poo poo people say to them. The power imbalance is obsene.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Pretty much, surely he knows what the consequences could be when @ing her uni. If he doesn't, well, that speaks for itself.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1321783234750009344?s=19

Jesus christ.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Douglas "oval office" Ross is busy attacking the SNP because COVID-19 patients were released into Scottish care homes before being fully cleared of the virus. You know, as was revealed to be Tory policy back in May.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Douglas "oval office" Ross is busy attacking the SNP because COVID-19 patients were released into Scottish care homes before being fully cleared of the virus. You know, as was revealed to be Tory policy back in May.

Was this something under the SNP's control? Because if no then sure that's bullshit, but if yes, it's still bad if the SNP also did it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Was this something under the SNP's control? Because if no then sure that's bullshit, but if yes, it's still bad if the SNP also did it.

I've been watching them this whole crisis and apparently nothing is under the SNPs control except scots gaelic on the road signs

its weird coz the welsh devolved government appears to exist(?) but the SNP are just pretend

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Walton Simons posted:

Pretty much, surely he knows what the consequences could be when @ing her uni. If he doesn't, well, that speaks for itself.

Not sure what grounds they could chuck her out on or why they would and have to hand back however many thousand she is worth to them. I dunno what it has to do with the university at all? Like is Tesco going to stop serving her if he messages at them about her?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1321783745570050049?s=20

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ten, twenty years ago, this would have toppled a government. But here we are in hell world.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Journalists on twitter are the worst so this seems fine? Banning them from "virtue signalling" is hilariously terrible but a BBC journalist wouldn't know a worthy cause if it bit them on the arse, so...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

surprising nobody, but yeah this is a smoking gun for outright corruption during the pandemic

it will never be mentioned

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is Gary Linekar a journalist?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am sure that people like Andrew Neil will definitely be subject to the rules.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i'm sure that signalling conservative virtues like "as a rich aristocrat, i'm willing to let them go hungry" will also be punished

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is Gary Linekar a journalist?

It applies to all BBC 'talent'

I was reading that list of rules and it seemed a bullet point takedown of everything Linekar does so was clearly written by Piers Morgan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

feedmegin posted:

The issue isn't whether the SNP are poo poo. The Tories have been doing the exact same thing for the last six months or more, with a higher per capita death rate. They do not get to throw stones, let alone pretend it's only the SNP.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

From now on people must only espouse their horrible personal opinions :colbert:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

Tuition is currently £16,100 a year, he probably never acquired resistance to low-effort working class insults like 'ur gran is fat'.

Seems a bit over-priced.

quote:

Sex abuse cases
In October 2009, Dom David Pearce, a monk of Ealing Abbey and former headmaster of the Junior School, was jailed for eight years, subsequently reduced to five years, for sexual abuse offences at the school in the period from 1972–1992 and for one further offence in 2007 after he had ceased to work in the school.[6][7]

In March 2011, Dom Laurence Soper, the Abbot of Ealing Abbey during the 1990s, was arrested on child abuse charges relating to the period when he was a teacher at, and the bursar of, St Benedict's School; it was reported in October 2011 that he had failed to answer bail and was being sought by the police.[8] In 2016, he was arrested in Kosovo and extradited to the UK to face trial.[9] In early December 2017, following a 10-week trial at the Old Bailey in central London, Andrew Soper (as he is now known) was found guilty on 19 counts of child sexual abuse including buggery, indecency with a child and indecent assault.[10] He was sentenced to 18 years imprisonment.[11]

Children suffered severe corporal punishment which was often used as a means to initiate sexual abuse or for sexual gratification.[12] It was claimed that there were daily queues of boys outside the headmaster's study waiting to be caned. A stated that aged 11 he got into trouble in class. The teacher made him kneel in front of the class and continued the whole of the lesson standing on the boy's hands. Jurors at the trial were told about Soper's victims getting sadistic beatings. One survivor said in court, “I have tried countless times to take my own life as I just cannot cope any more.”[13]

Following these incidents, and other alleged offences, the Abbot commissioned a report to be prepared by Lord Carlile of Berriew with a view to making recommendations on the school's governance.[14] As a result of the changes made the Independent Schools Inspectorate said in its 2013 inspection report that the pastoral care at St Benedict's was excellent.[15]

In October 2011 the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith ordered its own enquiry into the same matters, to be conducted by Bishop John Arnold.[citation needed]

In 2016, Peter Allott, deputy head, and former local Conservative Party councillor who had worked at the school since 2004 was jailed for 33 months for possession of child abuse images, as well as possession of a Class A substance.[16][17] However, it was made clear by the CPS that there was no evidence that Allott had abused his position of trust within the school, and no offensive material was found there.[18][19]

In 2018-2019, the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) commissioned by the UK Government was investigating any institutional failures to protect children from sexual abuse within the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales, and the handling of complaints about Catholic schools and specifically relating to investigations at Ealing Abbey and St Benedict’s school. The pope’s representative in Britain, Archbishop Edward Adams, refused to co-operate with the enquiry.[20]

The school was described as a "grim and beastly place" by the Independent Inquiry Into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA), and that "a culture of cover-up and denial of sexual abuse operated at Ealing Abbey."[21] By October 2019 the IICSA had received 18 further allegations against 8 monks and staff, and believed that the true scale of the abuse is "likely to be much higher", than those convicted the report found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Benedict%27s_School,_Ealing#Sex_abuse_cases

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jabby posted:

Journalists on twitter are the worst so this seems fine? Banning them from "virtue signalling" is hilariously terrible but a BBC journalist wouldn't know a worthy cause if it bit them on the arse, so...

Lol theyre explicitly banning pointing out that the BBC is utterly biased towards the tories, even going so far as to use right wing language banning "virtue signalling" which covers everything from charity work to saying that tories burning fivers in front of the homeless is bad.

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1321785711478087681?s=19

After blanket media coverage for years its still a minority that believe any of it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I am sure that people like Andrew Neil will definitely be subject to the rules.

Andrew Neils gone. Hes set himself up as FOX news UK or something.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1321785711478087681?s=19

After blanket media coverage for years its still a minority that believe any of it.

I'm going to go ahead and say that we will not see a dramatic shift after this report.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Are they going to ban their lovely celebs from Supporting Are Troops and posting cum tributes to giant poppies?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Presumably they wont be allowed to wear poppies at all.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Are they going to ban their lovely celebs from Supporting Are Troops and posting cum tributes to giant poppies?

Mysteriously won't be considered virtue signalling

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is what I assume. Also they're going to participate in Comic Relief or whatever, but they won't be allowed to say that child poverty is bad :thumbsup:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
new BBC rules ban use of emojis beacuse they could alter tone of a tweet lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'd be fun to get a complaint campaign going, based on unbalanced treatment of the symbol of one specific charity.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gonzo McFee posted:

Why would it be, poppy wearing isn't even remotely critical of right wingers

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Institutional meta-virtue signalling is the ultimate virtue signalling

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

On the news last night, and the weatherman on the TV this morning I saw people wearing poppies without the leaf.

What's that about?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Everything is poppy! No leaf, only poppy!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

On the news last night, and the weatherman on the TV this morning I saw people wearing poppies without the leaf.

What's that about?!

Could be taken as support for the green party.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not sure what grounds they could chuck her out on or why they would and have to hand back however many thousand she is worth to them. I dunno what it has to do with the university at all? Like is Tesco going to stop serving her if he messages at them about her?

They have a social media policy she could fall foul of if they wanted to be twats about it, hopefully it'd be laughed out of the room if it was actually pursued. She's probably feeling pretty uncomfortable now, whether anything happens or not.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Meanwhile Kuenssberg will continue to poo poo up everyone's feeds with tory talking points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Dead Goon posted:

What's that about?!
I actually know this one, you can take the leaves off 5 poppies and make it into a ganja leaf poppy that makes the teachers shout at you & keep you in detention & everyone thinks you're well 'ard