Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah we are also not doing a lockdown in Switzerland, instead we got a STERN LECTURE from our Health Minister/dad who is VERY DISAPPOINTED IN US. We have some restrictions on restaurants (max 4 per table, masks must be worn if you're not sitting down), size of gatherings; amateur sports are cancelled and higher education must be done by distance. It's mostly just "please work from home and avoid contact with others!" but they aren't actually mandating any of it. Managers can still refuse to allow you to work from home, for example.

We'll see if this magic plan works in 2 weeks (:lol:) and then re-evaluate. No telling if there will actually be laws next time or just another lecture. Christmas markets and the ski season are coming up, not to mention the holiday parties, so maybe (being stupidly optimistic) this was a kind of last chance for people to avoid the lockdown so the government can say "you had your chance and you blew it, now everything's cancelled idiots". We'll see in two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
from that description it just occurred to me that this is extremely like a war response "let's do some things to maybe appease the other side and hope they play nice" ... only you can't appease a virus

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Switzerland never should have removed the charges from the bridges.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Here's a fun little gif from the Ministry of Health showing our cases over time (Geneva is the permanent red blotch in the west, Zurich is the cluster in the northeast):

https://i.imgur.com/iWnxqZ7.mp4

Mithaldu posted:

from that description it just occurred to me that this is extremely like a war response "let's do some things to maybe appease the other side and hope they play nice" ... only you can't appease a virus

They're mostly trying to appease the SVP/UDP far-right freedom and liberty (except for workers and immigrants of course) fuckheads. Who also cannot be appeased because any change to the way they have always done things is fascism, plain and simple.

Mithaldu posted:

it's nicer as an mp4 so you can right click, enable controls and scrub to the end:

Thanks!

greazeball fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 29, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

greazeball posted:

Here's a fun little gif from the Ministry of Health showing our cases over time (Geneva is the permanent red blotch in the west, Zurich is the cluster in the northeast):

it's nicer as an mp4 so you can right click, enable controls and scrub to the end:

https://i.imgur.com/iWnxqZ7.mp4

greazeball posted:

They're mostly trying to appease the SVP/UDP far-right freedom and liberty (except for workers and immigrants of course) fuckheads. Who also cannot be appeased because any change to the way they have always done things is fascism, plain and simple.

ah of course, wo cares about science, political compromise > *

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KinkyJohn posted:

Isn't herd immunity to this virus a myth?

Here in South Africa we are behind the curve by about two months. When things got dire in Europe, our first cases only started. When we peaked, Europe was recovering so well that everybody there thought it was over. Now after strict lockdowns and mask wearing, we are seeing lower numbers, while Europe is skyrocketing. Hmmm must be because we are special and have developed herd immunity! gently caress you world, nothing can touch us!!

Our second wave is coming and everybody is acting like it isn't.

Yeah it's not under control in South Africa, the daily infections graph has plateaued at ~1600 new cases for about two months now, with averages of 50 to 100 deaths per day:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-africa/

Anyone who says that SA has herd immunity is 100% bullshitting

E:

redreader posted:

Edit: there are 1092 active cases in the country right now.

Worldometers says there's currently over 50,000 active cases in SA, where'd you get your number?

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 29, 2020

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

xtal posted:

I think the "this is the worst year ever" online meme started in early 2016 when David Bowie and a cluster of other well-liked celebrities died. Little did they know what was ahead.

Eta source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-36108133

I know you're right, but man... David Bowie, Prince, John Glenn, Harper Lee, Muhammed Ali, Carrie Fisher, Alan Rickman, Leonard Cohen, George Michael, Gene Wilder, Umberto Eco, Gary Marshall, Kenny Baker, Robert Vaughn, Ron Glass, Kieth Emerson AND Greg Lake... good god I can name a dozen more off the top of my head that most of us would know them from some important event, their bands, or the characters they played.

It was the Great Dying of my childhood.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress celebrities, mourn real people.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KinkyJohn posted:

Isn't herd immunity to this virus a myth?

Here in South Africa we are behind the curve by about two months. When things got dire in Europe, our first cases only started. When we peaked, Europe was recovering so well that everybody there thought it was over. Now after strict lockdowns and mask wearing, we are seeing lower numbers, while Europe is skyrocketing. Hmmm must be because we are special and have developed herd immunity! gently caress you world, nothing can touch us!!

Our second wave is coming and everybody is acting like it isn't.

Well yeah that’s what I thought too. But in the UK a bunch of places are reporting it:

Eg: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/coronavirus-south-africa-herd-immunity-covid-cases-latest-b1400549.html

I just wondered why?

Surprisingly the numbers do seem surprisingly low considering the density of certain places and so on.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Bape Culture posted:

Well yeah that’s what I thought too. But in the UK a bunch of places are reporting it:

Eg: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/coronavirus-south-africa-herd-immunity-covid-cases-latest-b1400549.html

I just wondered why?

Surprisingly the numbers do seem surprisingly low considering the density of certain places and so on.

They want an excuse to 'try' it because allowing millions to get infected is easier than trying to mitigate this.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

I just wondered why?

but also https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54696873

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

I just wondered why?

quote:

"What has happened in SA today, the only way to explain it, the only plausible way to explain it is that some sort of herd immunity has been reached when combined with the use of non-pharmaceutical interventions... like the wearing of masks, physical distancing, ensuring ventilation when indoors and so on,” Professor Mahdi told Sky News.

This guy sees his opportunity to get on the telly and maybe get a cushy govt post by saying that it's all magically over. The stats they're reporting say that 30-40% of respondants have antibodies which isn't anywhere close to herd immunity, it just means that testing was massively inadequate. Also they admit that a poorly implemented lockdown forced people to stay indoors or queue for food which increased the spread. Papers just want to give people the stories they want to read, and this doctor knows the keywords they're looking for.

I mean seriously: "the only way to explain it, the only plausible way to explain it is..." Give it a month or two at least mate before you rule out literally every other possibility.

pro starcraft loser posted:

They want an excuse to 'try' it because allowing millions to get infected is easier than trying to mitigate this.

This too

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bape Culture posted:

I just wondered why?

Here's the source article they reference which said that up to 40% of people tested had antibodies:
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2020-09-04-covid-19-high-prevalence-found-in-cape-town-antibody-study/

You'll note that it doesn't say anything about herd immunity at all (that phrase doesn't even appear in the article) but instead says:

quote:

The study was limited in that blood samples were only from people who made use of public sector health facilities; did not include young and elderly patients; and came from a specific socio-economic group (HIV is more prevalent in poorer areas). “It cannot tell what proportion of the wider population has been infected,” she said.

The other source for the 'herd immunity' article was this: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-south-africas-covid-lockdown-may-have-created-herd-immunity-12116494?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter
... which says:

quote:

South African researchers believe that South Africa's strict level five lockdown - which was imposed back in March - worked inadvertently to kickstart a massive wave of infection.

In the densely packed townships that surround the major cities, residents were forced to cue for essentials like food and social security payments, creating what Dr Hsiao described as "new networks for the spread of the disease". Social distancing was practically impossible on plots where 20 or more to people are often forced to live at close quarters.

Dr Mahdi says the lockdown's failure to suppress COVID-19 provided the country with the unintended benefit of temporary - or longer-lasting immunization - for many South Africans.

"This inadequacy in terms of adherence of the lockdown, where inadvertently we've had transmission taking place, has resulted in a high percentage in densely populated areas becoming immune.

So very very specific parts of South Africa have had massive rates of infection and thus have a very high percentage of people who now have antibodies, but that can't be extrapolated out to the general SA population

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

boar guy posted:

yeah man but dont like, be mad at people flouting the safeguards. be cool man, just be cool

loving idiots

That was a painful couple of pages of people proud to be reckless assholes because they are bored. 80k a day ffs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also since it was the UK press that was pushing the 'SA herd immunity' story there's almost certainly a racist undercurrent of "They got the virus under control? And we haven't? Well they must have done it by accident!"
:dogwhistle:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also since it was the UK press that was pushing the 'SA herd immunity' story there's almost certainly a racist undercurrent of "They got the virus under control? And we haven't? Well they must have done it by accident!"
:dogwhistle:

holy poo poo new emote

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
As I understand it from TWiV, herd immunity doesn't exist without vaccination, or an isolated and relatively small population plus a sterilizing immune response. It's never been achieved naturally outside of those very peculiar situations, which is why pursuing that strategy is equivalent to having no strategy at all.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Has anyone tried disrupting the virus yet?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

greazeball posted:

pretty sure elon musk has done SOMETHING

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

greazeball posted:

Getting ready to announce my hot new IPO, Termnl, and the breakthrough paradigm shifting strategy it's based on, Youth N' Asia!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kestral posted:

As I understand it from TWiV, herd immunity doesn't exist without vaccination, or an isolated and relatively small population plus a sterilizing immune response. It's never been achieved naturally outside of those very peculiar situations, which is why pursuing that strategy is equivalent to having no strategy at all.

This, but you also need a really high percentage to be immunized. That's something I don't see happening in the U.S. unless it's somehow made mandatory.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

This guy sees his opportunity to get on the telly and maybe get a cushy govt post by saying that it's all magically over. The stats they're reporting say that 30-40% of respondants have antibodies which isn't anywhere close to herd immunity, it just means that testing was massively inadequate. Also they admit that a poorly implemented lockdown forced people to stay indoors or queue for food which increased the spread. Papers just want to give people the stories they want to read, and this doctor knows the keywords they're looking for.

I mean seriously: "the only way to explain it, the only plausible way to explain it is..." Give it a month or two at least mate before you rule out literally every other possibility.

This too

Another way to explain it is it's loving spring coming into summer in the southern hemisphere and respiratory diseases always go down when the weather gets warmer and people spend less time indoors.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

azurite posted:

This, but you also need a really high percentage to be immunized. That's something I don't see happening in the U.S. unless it's somehow made mandatory.

This also of presumes a 100% effective vaccine, which is also unlikely

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kestral posted:

That's what my research led to maybe a week or two ago.

Zero cases of natural herd immunity ever recorded.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Suppose you need 80% of the population to carry immunity in order to have "herd immunity" be a thing. Suppose also a best-case situation in which being afflicted once provides 100% immunity forever.

In that situation, in order to maintain long-term herd immunity, 80% of the population would need to catch it at least once in their lives. Probably more than that, if people that catch it are more likely to die than people that don't. If that's happening, it's farcical to say that herd immunity is protecting anything.

Long-term herd immunity is only a thing with vaccinations and/or inoculations. You need a mechanism to give people immunity that isn't just them naturally catching it to begin with.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Looks like 90k+ today in the US! I believe in you guys, you'll crack 6 figures by the election I just know it

naem
May 29, 2011

this isn’t the “I work in an office” thread

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s just too much for people to give credit where it’s due I guess.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It’s just too much for people to give credit where it’s due I guess.

My boyfriend sent it to me with no text, I'm not gonna bug him for an attribution.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was on Reddit two or three days ago.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

It was on Reddit two or three days ago.

My boyfriend is a redditor?! :sever:

edit: For content, I was wearing my full face 3M respirator with reflective one-way window film I applied to it in the grocery store today. A family with kids saw me and the kids started crying and said "mommy, I'm scared". You should be children, but not of me.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 30, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

almost 84K cases today which is a new record

We did it everyone!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hmm. Being as blunt as “everyone without a mask threatens to kill mommy” would be counterproductive.

If I were trying to help a kid overcome a fear of respirators, I’d try to show them :blessed: people wearing similar equipment, like firefighters, astronauts, and marine biologists.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Lmao why did you add mirror film to it? What does that accomplish other than freaking people out?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Hmm. Being as blunt as “everyone without a mask threatens to kill mommy” would be counterproductive.

If I were trying to help a kid overcome a fear of respirators, I’d try to show them :blessed: people wearing similar equipment, like firefighters, astronauts, and marine biologists.

Yeah most people think it's cool and I even had an old lady give me a double thumbs-up, this is the first time I had the terrorized kids reaction. I did have a hick pull out his phone and start filming me from his car and when I gestured a "what the gently caress" at him he opens the door and shouts "free country!"

This is in a low-income supermarket in a place where 1 out of 3 people were covid positive for a week some months back. Might be the worst place hit per-capita outside of New York.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

a guy that i am involved with soccer with texted me today for the first time in April, the last time we spoke i believe my exact words were 'if we do nothing 200 thousand people are gonna die' which he lol'ed at

conversation started innocently enough but of course we got to talking about soccer and i couldn't help myself from saying i think it's irresponsible to coach right now- this was after he confirmed that literally no one currently participating is following the return to play guidelines such as coaches wearing masks, observing social distancing, no handling the ball, etc. he immediately went into the ow wow, you have a blessed day, i was just reaching out, you didn't have to be an rear end in a top hat to me routine and talking about how the kids and their parents are so grateful and he's just working with kids that need this so much

...i'm the rear end in a top hat? the 'two sides of the position' aren't equally correct and i may have been a little bit blunt about it but i'm tired of giving anything away to people that are making my life demonstrably worse with their actions. gently caress your feelings, guy, the virus sure doesn't care about 'em

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Anne Whateley posted:

Lmao why did you add mirror film to it? What does that accomplish other than freaking people out?

Freaking people out isn't enough for you?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I wouldn't then be surprised when people were freaked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah most people think it's cool and I even had an old lady give me a double thumbs-up, this is the first time I had the terrorized kids reaction. I did have a hick pull out his phone and start filming me from his car and when I gestured a "what the gently caress" at him he opens the door and shouts "free country!"

that is an amazingly american post and i love it