Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Here in the South, it typically means there's a group of cars all running at significantly higher speed than other traffic while very close to each other. I've seen 10-30 car "mobs" at 85-95mph at drafting distances (6-8ft) between cars on the interstate in Georgia.

yeah there's car clubs that drive down to galveston on the weekends and they'll all be blasting down the road racing each other, doing dragraces at lights, slowing other traffic down to let the guys ahead race, it's kind of annoying but it's better than biker weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

LifeSunDeath posted:

yeah there's car clubs that drive down to galveston on the weekends and they'll all be blasting down the road racing each other, doing dragraces at lights, slowing other traffic down to let the guys ahead race, it's kind of annoying but it's better than biker weekend.

We did it, except for the annoying “slowing other traffic down” part, on our way out to Goliad for the Texas Mile years ago. I was friends with a bunch of lawyers who had really nice cars at the time. I had an old 911SC with no A/C.
Who knew that the Mobber was inside me all along?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

namlosh posted:

We did it, except for the annoying “slowing other traffic down” part, on our way out to Goliad for the Texas Mile years ago. I was friends with a bunch of lawyers who had really nice cars at the time. I had an old 911SC with no A/C.
Who knew that the Mobber was inside me all along?

Lol I have an infiniti with some tuner elements and they slowed down around me on highway 6 and thought I was going to join them, I just kept old person driving down the road lol.

e, content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4fdUx6d4QM

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 31, 2020

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/6h3EeYp.gifv

Other cars the hazard lights come on, French cars the wipers come on

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Seen out on the road, one of the white shocks at the back had popped right out the middle and was flapping around with each bump

I thought I might hang back a bit.

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
Can someone explain to me at 15:18 wtf is being drained into engine? Is that diesel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBPPv88KKIM

edit... ah, well poo poo that looks like *coolant.

Gath fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 19, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Why didn't you just watch for another minute until the driver explains exactly what it is?

Gath
Sep 23, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Why didn't you just watch for another minute until the driver explains exactly what it is?

because it looks like more than it is. Seriously the coolant is confusing as well.

I think it also falls under, horrible wtf.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh yeah, absolutely.

That engine seems to be air cooled, with a gravity fed "total loss" supplemental coolant system fed from the tank on the roof.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
It looks to be the same design as an old stationary lister engine.
It has a tank on the cylinder full of water. As the water boils, it takes heat away from the engine.
By dumping cold water into the tank, he's cooling it faster than evaporation. You need to periodically add water to those engines anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That can't be original? That big old truck is powered by a single-cylinder diesel industrial engine? Kind of impressive that it works all if a retrofit. Weird as hell if original.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Darchangel posted:

That can't be original? That big old truck is powered by a single-cylinder diesel industrial engine? Kind of impressive that it works all if a retrofit. Weird as hell if original.

Welcome to developing countries where labor and materials to hack something together are cheaper than buying getting the right part/item.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cojawfee posted:

Welcome to developing countries where labor and materials to hack something together are cheaper than buying getting the right part/item.

I'm mainly just wondering why a single-cylinder industrial engine rather than another car engine or something. Of course, the answer is "because that's what they had." I'm just surprised they couldn't find a forklift engine or something.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Darchangel posted:

I'm mainly just wondering why a single-cylinder industrial engine rather than another car engine or something. Of course, the answer is "because that's what they had." I'm just surprised they couldn't find a forklift engine or something.

Rural areas in the developing world usually don't have a lot of forklifts. They do have a lot of motor plows and motorcycles. You get a good view at 15:00. The engine looks and sounds like it started life in farming equipment like this before it was hacked into a truck drivetrain.

Incidentally, the "drip a bit of water on an air-cooled engine's fins to keep it from blowing up" technique is super common in the flat parts of Cambodia, where people haul multi-ton third wheel trailers with Super Cubs.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 19, 2020

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Space Gopher posted:

Incidentally, the "drip a bit of water on an air-cooled engine's fins to keep it from blowing up" technique is super common in the flat parts of Cambodia, where people haul multi-ton third wheel trailers with Super Cubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAx47JEDiFo

It's 20 years ago I was in Cambodia, but there were some unfamiliar (to me) things on the road. Apart from all sorts of creative uses of Super Cubs there were lots of improvised vehicles similiar to this:

Sometimes metal framed, sometimes bamboo/wood, all sorts of engines and wheels were used.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

It looks like it was probably sold as an incomplete truck when new? Not in the "truck chassis with an engine" style of truck that gets sold to coach and bus builders, more like the glider rigs you can buy in the US - complete truck, without a drivetrain. The 2 miles on the odometer and non-working speedometer kinda scream "this thing has never had the proper drivetrain in it after leaving the factory, miles showing are from when we dropped a drivetrain in it to move it around the shipping yard".

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
🙁

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

For England, James?

No, for me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What a shame. Arecibo had 57 years of service, with the most recent instrumentation upgrade only about a decade ago.
Arecibo's range resolution for near-Earth asteroids went from ~150m down to just 7.5m over the years.

There's no good replacement for it, either. Arecibo was able to transmit close to 1MW or RF power (2-7 GHz I think?) to literally ping targets. No other telescope can do this, afaik. (Sometimes the ping would take so long that Goldstone's DSS-14 in Californa picks up the echo.)

Yeah I spent a lot of my graduate years working on Arecibo data

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’m glad I got to take a tour of it when I was on the island last summer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TotalLossBrain posted:

What a shame. Arecibo had 57 years of service, with the most recent instrumentation upgrade only about a decade ago.
Arecibo's range resolution for near-Earth asteroids went from ~150m down to just 7.5m over the years.

There's no good replacement for it, either. Arecibo was able to transmit close to 1MW or RF power (2-7 GHz I think?) to literally ping targets. No other telescope can do this, afaik. (Sometimes the ping would take so long that Goldstone's DSS-14 in Californa picks up the echo.)

Yeah I spent a lot of my graduate years working on Arecibo data

I work as a satcom guy and my company produces a few carriers ranging from 150W - 400W C-band.

A megawatt of RF is a thousand thousand watts like, a few hundred thousand satellite TV uplink carriers at once.

:stare:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I work as a satcom guy and my company produces a few carriers ranging from 150W - 400W C-band.

A megawatt of RF is a thousand thousand watts like, a few hundred thousand satellite TV uplink carriers at once.

You ever heard of HAARP? Lol. :tinfoil:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Wasabi the J posted:

to be fair, this isn't continuous wave RF but very fast pulses encoded at 20 MHz. That power can reach out there - Arecibo has done surface scans of Mars, Venus, and Mercury. By the time the echo comes back it's extremely weak. The receivers are cryogenically cooled to reduce thermal noise.

Arecibo did user (weaker) CW transmission to establish the initial range estimate for a target. It's still not on for a long time, though, and not at the high power levels. Those are reserved for delay/Doppler scans.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 20, 2020

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Space Gopher posted:

Rural areas in the developing world usually don't have a lot of forklifts. They do have a lot of motor plows and motorcycles. You get a good view at 15:00. The engine looks and sounds like it started life in farming equipment like this before it was hacked into a truck drivetrain.

Looks just like the setup you and Invalido posted, and I think the video earlier is the same engine but mounted sideways.

https://jalopnik.com/how-china-built-some-of-the-world-s-most-versatile-vehi-1837377809

donut fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 21, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's probably a generator not an alternator.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TotalLossBrain posted:

to be fair, this isn't continuous wave RF but very fast pulses encoded at 20 MHz. That power can reach out there - Arecibo has done surface scans of Mars, Venus, and Mercury. By the time the echo comes back it's extremely weak. The receivers are cryogenically cooled to reduce thermal noise.

Arecibo did user (weaker) CW transmission to establish the initial range estimate for a target. It's still not on for a long time, though, and not at the high power levels. Those are reserved for delay/Doppler scans.

Still impressive though. I have a thing with not fully grasping scales that I'm unfamiliar with, and RF transmission is one thing I have a decent grasp at.

I'm truly in awe of what the deep space dudes are capable of with their systems, as well.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Wasabi the J posted:

Still impressive though. I have a thing with not fully grasping scales that I'm unfamiliar with, and RF transmission is one thing I have a decent grasp at.

I'm truly in awe of what the deep space dudes are capable of with their systems, as well.

If you're into signal telemetry, check out the Deep Space Network status site here: https://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html
Loads of interesting info like what spacecraft are being tracked, transmit and receive power, data rate, and round trip time.

A lot of the newer spacecraft being tracked can talk 1 Mb/s even from Mars. And then there's Voyager 2 with a round-trip time of 18 hours trucking away at 900 bps in turbo mode received at -155 dBm lol

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 21, 2020

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Chrpno posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6h3EeYp.gifv

Other cars the hazard lights come on, French cars the wipers come on

"Let me clear le screen monsieur so you can see how le hosed you are"

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
TotalLossBrain, thanks, cool link.

Watching Voyager 2 now,

Range 22.71 Billion KM

Round-trip Time of 1.75 days

169 bps

-156.63 dBm (2.17 x 10-22 kW)

I've mucked about with some pretty nifty spectrum analyzers using handmade loop antennas in order to debug PLLs running at a few GHz. Seeing signal levels this low always gave me a bit of pause that the analyzer could really do that. Seeing it expressed as 10-22 kW really drives it home for me.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

You ever heard of HAARP? Lol. :tinfoil:

When I was a kid the public library had a HAARP conspiracy book mixed in with the physics books. Confused the hell out of me when I checked it out once, like man I don't think radio waves do any of these things guys.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

When I was a kid the public library had a HAARP conspiracy book mixed in with the physics books. Confused the hell out of me when I checked it out once, like man I don't think radio waves do any of these things guys.

i'm personally loving all the 5g conspiracy people.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So apparently when a Tesla crashes badly it sends burning shrapnel everywhere

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/19/tesla-crash-100-mph-scatters-burning-batteries/#slide-2279191

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

god I bet the fire department just loves cleaning all these 18650s up, goddamn. Elon Musk should have to personally clean this poo poo up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Move fast and break things, that's the entrepreneurial spirit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah check em out cooking off like bottle rockets at 7:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDi1haA71Q&t=402s

as usual when tesla fires come up i will point out that it's kind of a toss-up whether this is better or worse than a gasoline fire. any time you have some sort of condensed store of energy, there is probably a way to make it all come out in a much shorter time than desired and you're gonna have a bad day.

gasoline fires probably don't launch white-hot balls of burning alkali metals onto your roof though

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 22, 2020

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Sagebrush posted:

yeah check em out cooking off like bottle rockets at 7:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDi1haA71Q&t=402s

as usual when tesla fires come up i will point out that it's kind of a toss-up whether this is better or worse than a gasoline fire. any time you have some sort of condensed store of energy, there is probably a way to make it all come out in a much shorter time than desired and you're gonna have a bad day.

gasoline fires probably don't launch white-hot balls of burning alkali metals onto your roof though

So what you’re saying is a steam car heated by shovelling in batteries with a gasoline spray superheater is the way of the future?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Guy in one of my Facebook groups just posted this. Never seen one before like this, I think from the milky fluid it probably is water contaminated and froze overnight and partially cracked it, then it popped from hydraulic pressure when he started it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That looks infected in my medical opinion.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Guy in one of my Facebook groups just posted this. Never seen one before like this, I think from the milky fluid it probably is water contaminated and froze overnight and partially cracked it, then it popped from hydraulic pressure when he started it.

THAT is an interesting failure. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kastein posted:

Oh look, a Saginaw steering box. I've been fighting with mine for the past two days. It's why I can't lift my arms above the plane of my shoulders.

That's a poo poo-ton of water contamination.

What popped is the end cap/retainer for the steering gear/block. The nut there is for adjusting lash. The part that cracked is aluminum (the rest of the case is iron) and can be replaced without removing the box.

However, given the conditions inside the box, it would be advisable to remove & rebuild it. Or replace it, if it's cheap enough (mine is $465 so rebuild it is)