Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"You're saying we can only prove we need asylum if we turn up dead?"

"Even then it's not the right reason. It's not protected."

oof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

If you don't like belinda carlisle you're a huge piece of poo poo

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
John Oliver endorses Joe Biden!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

Eat poo poo, Bob.
https://twitter.com/jwmjournalist/status/1321531458041925633

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's always hard to go through these stories that are just about getting more viscerally depressing about the horrible things the administration is doing.

I really don't know anything about those movies that they're making fun of CNBC for liking to know why it's funny that they like them.

cant cook creole bream posted:

John Oliver endorses Joe Biden!

It's the same sort of endorsement of "literally your only other option at this juncture is prolonging horrifying crimes against humanity, and even if he does win, we still have an uphill battle to make the world better" that you see from a lot of people.

loving vote or thousands more will die.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really don't know anything about those movies that they're making fun of CNBC for liking to know why it's funny that they like them.

Wait, you've never seen Apocalypse Now or either of the good Godfather movies? Because you absolutely should - they're bona fide classics of cinema. Godfather 1 & 2 are also rare examples of the films actually improving on the source material.

Maybe I missed something, but the joke was just that they're every boomer dad's favourite movies, especially the kind of boomer dad who's into "movies that ~make u think~". In the same way that Gen Xers don't shut up about Pulp Fiction, or millenials with The Matrix and Fight Club.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I watched the Godfather 1 and 2 during the lockdown this year for the first time and they are very good movies.

I also saw that there's a movie called The Godfather 3, but I was told that that was a fake movie and there was never a sequel.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Godfather 3 doesn't compare favorably to the first two but it's a fine movie in its own right, Sofia Coppola's acting aside. Yeah, gently caress you, I'll say it! It's up there with Alien3 as the most underappreciated sequels of all time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

webmeister posted:

Wait, you've never seen Apocalypse Now or either of the good Godfather movies? Because you absolutely should - they're bona fide classics of cinema. Godfather 1 & 2 are also rare examples of the films actually improving on the source material.

Maybe I missed something, but the joke was just that they're every boomer dad's favourite movies, especially the kind of boomer dad who's into "movies that ~make u think~". In the same way that Gen Xers don't shut up about Pulp Fiction, or millenials with The Matrix and Fight Club.

Fight Club gives me way more of a Gen-X vibe. Millennials were 10-15 at the time, so I can definitely see your point, but something about the messaging of "middle class ennui is the worst" and "gently caress consumption you sheeple" feels deeply, deeply Gen-X to me.

I don't think Jim Cramer believes in anything, but the love for Apocalypse Now among American conservatives is fascinating to me, because how do they reconcile the actual message of that film? It's about how America's veneer of civility is paper-thin, and underneath it are atrocities so inhuman that the power structure as it exists is irredeemable. It's a pretty radically anti-military and anti-patriotic movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stare-Out posted:

Godfather 3 doesn't compare favorably to the first two but it's a fine movie in its own right, Sofia Coppola's acting aside. Yeah, gently caress you, I'll say it! It's up there with Alien3 as the most underappreciated sequels of all time.

You can't argue that Alien 3 was anything other than a massive production mess. I really like the Foundation Cut as well but it's still rightfully criticized for being all over the place.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

You can't argue that Alien 3 was anything other than a massive production mess. I really like the Foundation Cut as well but it's still rightfully criticized for being all over the place.

That's one of the reasons why it's so great, there's no way that movie should be that good and the Assembly Cut is great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alien 3 isn't good but it's far better than it has any right to be. Godfather 3 is weird because unlike the other movies it doesn't feel like it takes place in the period it does. The scene in Andy Garcia's apartment really throws it off so it feels like it takes place in the period it was filmed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xealot posted:

Fight Club gives me way more of a Gen-X vibe. Millennials were 10-15 at the time, so I can definitely see your point, but something about the messaging of "middle class ennui is the worst" and "gently caress consumption you sheeple" feels deeply, deeply Gen-X to me.

I don't think Jim Cramer believes in anything, but the love for Apocalypse Now among American conservatives is fascinating to me, because how do they reconcile the actual message of that film? It's about how America's veneer of civility is paper-thin, and underneath it are atrocities so inhuman that the power structure as it exists is irredeemable. It's a pretty radically anti-military and anti-patriotic movie.

If I had to guess, it's because they think that whatever they're showing as horrorifying is pretty cool (the whole problem of why it's hard to make an anti-war movie), or they think that it's the result of alien circumstances (perhaps the influence of barbarous savages or whatnot) as opposed to being broader commentary.

I have a tendency to just assume that most movies that were made when I was too young to watch were just a million years ago (or 40 years). I don't watch a lot of movies, and now that I don't have cable, I'm much less likely to just wind up watching a movie because I seldom actively choose to watch a whole movie.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

SlothfulCobra posted:

If I had to guess, it's because they think that whatever they're showing as horrorifying is pretty cool (the whole problem of why it's hard to make an anti-war movie), or they think that it's the result of alien circumstances (perhaps the influence of barbarous savages or whatnot) as opposed to being broader commentary.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant about boomer dad's favourite movies, and getting drawn in by the spectacle rather than engaging with what the movie's actually saying. The same way people watch movies like Wolf of Wall Street (or Wall Street) and are inspired by the Jordan Belfort / Gordon Gekko characters rather than repulsed.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Xealot posted:

IMO this meme pretty well sums it up

Just replace robots with soldiers/gangsters/whatever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Xealot posted:

These are the same people who unironically play Born in the USA as jingo-patriotism. Contemplation and discernment aren't exactly their strengths. They see 'murica blowing up the brownies and cheer like the soldiers in Jarhead: no nuance or understanding of what they are absorbing, just images of American power in which to revel.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

These are the same people who unironically play Born in the USA as jingo-patriotism. Contemplation and discernment aren't exactly their strengths. They see 'murica blowing up the brownies and cheer like the soldiers in Jarhead: no nuance or understanding of what they are absorbing, just images of American power in which to revel.

Remember that Paul Ryan said that Rage Against the Machine was his favorite band.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Remember that Paul Ryan said that Rage Against the Machine was his favorite band.

Some of those who work forces...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xealot posted:

I think Jim Cramer is actually a Democrat. He had a show with Larry Kudlow back in the day in the mold of Crossfire.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Xealot posted:

Fight Club gives me way more of a Gen-X vibe. Millennials were 10-15 at the time, so I can definitely see your point.

Fight Club came out in 1999, the youngest Millennial was -5 and the oldest was 17, so it definitely fits, but agreed, as a Millennial who was 17 at the time, it felt like it was appealing to the generation before me, who were all about grunge at the start of the decade and had become disillusioned office drones by the end of it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

Because they agree with Kurtz that the reason why they lost the Vietnam war was because they was holding back.

Stare-Out posted:

Godfather 3 doesn't compare favorably to the first two but it's a fine movie in its own right, Sofia Coppola's acting aside.
Not only is it a bad movie in it's own right but the only reason why people are actually aware of the existence is that it's part of the Godfather series. Remove that brand and it's just a forgettable dtv movie.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 31, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I will hand it to him, Barr is actually good at playing bagpipes. That's the sum of his qualities.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

What sorcery is this?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's the reflection super-imposed on top of the original pattern?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The desk has a glass top that both reflects the pattern as well as allows the pattern to continue below the desk.
Not exactly dark magic.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Jesus, you people. It's like you've never seen a desk that functions as a portal to a parallel universe where everything is upside-down and all slash patterns are cross hatches before.

Fun fact: in Cross Hatch Tie John Oliver's universe, Trump won the election with the same exact campaign as he did here. But, upon inauguration, he revealed that everything he'd said over the last couple of years was a lie intended to build a base of bigots, nutjobs, and anyone else who wouldn't notice or care that he'd apparently suddenly flipped 180° from his former political positions on virtually all topics. Riding that wave of bigotry into office, he soon began to enact left-of-center reforms and generally ran the country relying heavily on the advice of well-respected advisors. Trump University was resurrected as a real, accredited, very affordable public university, and stipends of free Trump Steaks are delivered to the few remaining starving Americans.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

tarlibone posted:

Jesus, you people. It's like you've never seen a desk that functions as a portal to a parallel universe where everything is upside-down and all slash patterns are cross hatches before.

Fun fact: in Cross Hatch Tie John Oliver's universe, Trump won the election with the same exact campaign as he did here. But, upon inauguration, he revealed that everything he'd said over the last couple of years was a lie intended to build a base of bigots, nutjobs, and anyone else who wouldn't notice or care that he'd apparently suddenly flipped 180° from his former political positions on virtually all topics. Riding that wave of bigotry into office, he soon began to enact left-of-center reforms and generally ran the country relying heavily on the advice of well-respected advisors. Trump University was resurrected as a real, accredited, very affordable public university, and stipends of free Trump Steaks are delivered to the few remaining starving Americans.

I can't believe there was a brief moment after the election when I hoped this would be the outcome...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I can't believe there was a brief moment after the election when I hoped this would be the outcome...

... oh God, so did I. I might have even posted about it? I figured it was a fever dream, but if you told me then everything that was going to happen in the next four years? I would have thought that the idea that Trump was a sheep in wolf's clothing was more realistic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Italian politicians ranting about something really is the best thing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo somehow I've never seen that Trump pen clip before. What a disgusting piece of trash he is. Does anyone have that clip in an embeddable form?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's understandable, in that Trump's entire life has been nothing but an unending series of lies, so it's hard to know what the grotesque lump of flesh beneath all those lies actually wants to do. He also has a habit of totally loving over his supporters, just like how he keeps busing them out to rallies and keeps stranding them there in the cold night where they get hypothermia on top of whatever diseases they're spreading.

This last year has been so bad that it's hard for me to even really remember what Trump's offenses before this year have even been, although the sheer exhaustion from how many bad things he's done also really weighs down any attempt to go over all his sins. More Americans have died of Coronavirus than in 9/11, Katrina, and every war America has fought since World War 2. It's a whole lot.

Also there's a chance that however the election goes, there may be some power plays that just destroy democracy in the US entirely. It's not bad enough that we have a sociopath in head office being empowered by monarchist sociopaths and totally impotent checks and balances, they've whipped up frothing crowds who want violence against their perceived enemies (or the enemies of their lord and master). They even picketed Barr himself for not finding some excuse to imprison Biden.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

This last year has been so bad that it's hard for me to even really remember what Trump's offenses before this year have even been, although the sheer exhaustion from how many bad things he's done also really weighs down any attempt to go over all his sins. More Americans have died of Coronavirus than in 9/11, Katrina, and every war America has fought since World War 2. It's a whole lot.

This is the thing, he's operated for like six years on the firehose of bullshit principle, in that he just keeps constantly saying and doing outrageous things and nobody has any time to even remember or catalogue all of them. I think Vice News published a video in the last few days going over the highlights (lowlights?) of the last four years, and it's over an hour long. Like, just a surface level overview.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

That's one of the reasons why it's so great, there's no way that movie should be that good and the Assembly Cut is great.
I absolutely adore your avatar and custom title.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hM7xUdnML4

In unsanctioned fairy baby mascot news: Chiitan understands basic provisions of food for the people better than either political party in the US

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I absolutely adore your avatar and custom title.

Thanks. :)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I will hand it to him, Barr is actually good at playing bagpipes. That's the sum of his qualities.

I thought so too but near the end you see at least one other piper there and it's pretty unlikely he's rocking a power solo.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think Barr was just playing a supporting drone sound.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, I think Barr was just playing a supporting drone sound.

As a former music educator I can confirm that Barr was not making a sound in harmony with the rest of the musicians. A couple of them literally laugh at him in the clip.

edit: basically this if you take away the rest of the musicians:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-58hQ9dLk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Speaking of ....
https://twitter.com/tmorello/status/1324907210426642433

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Somewhere in NY, John is hastily re-recording the show to add a last minute joke about Four Seasons Landscaping